Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #31
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Awesome ride so far, guys! Keep the pics coming.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #32
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Awesome ride so far, guys! Keep the pics coming.
thanks, dont worry...i still over 200 pictures coming. lol

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-B View Post
Nice pictures.

You guy's are both very lucky.

Keep it rollin'.
thanks billy ! the only thing that could have made it better would to have had the DOGS there.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Lucky, that pizza joint was Pizza Madness and you are right, it was great.
i like the aliens on the wall. im 100% positive everyone there was either trippin on shrooms or were getting ready to. lol

Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #35
lucky_strike
whose flux?

video of flux...slow and easy. i thought you were going to loose that case for sure

http://

lucky_strike screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 06:25 PM
Old 07-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #36
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,077
Old 07-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #37
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Dan, Marty, Billy, Beau, Mark, and any other local DOGs reading this... we need to do some riding sometime soon. I've gotten the itch for adventure again. I can't WAIT to ride again (which is gonna be a daily occurrence now that Banjo came down and bought my truck today!).
Definitely. It just sucks I live on the wrong side of town.

In the fall, I need to put together another of the Atl to FL DS ride with a good fast group.

Enjoying the ride report guys!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:35 AM   #38
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,612
Salida was a neat town. Wish I had taken some more pics along the way, this is the only one I have. We managed to find some shade to park under.

After our lunch we headed west to the Blue Mesa Reservoir and managed to find a pretty cool campground, with sites pretty close to the water. You are actually able to ride on the lakeshore but it was so sandy that idea didn't last too long. Lucky might have a pic of my attempt at it.

We had the craziest storm roll through after we set up camp. This coming from an ex-Nebraksa resident. Everything is bigger out west... terrain, skies, storms...

A few pics from there:

You could see the wave of rain heading for us.

It started pouring so we got inside the tents. These shots were taken after it passed through. The winds that came with it kicked a fine layer of silty red sand up under my rainfly and coated everything in the tent.

Rainbow (for Coates)

Then things got really cool looking. The sun was setting and it reflected its colors on the opposite end of the sky in the clouds. Coolest thing I have ever seen.

Plus I had my eye on that funnel-cloud looking fella.

My favorite of the series:

The storm eventually moved on and we had mice calm peaceful night of sleep. The next day would be time for Engineer Pass....
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
lucky_strike
whose flux?

more pictures from the camp site that night

and the next day was engineers pass.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #40
lucky_strike
whose flux?

nice meeting you. hope your ride was good

Old 07-19-2012, 07:56 PM   #41
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike View Post
thanks billy ! the only thing that could have made it better would to have had the DOGS there.
There were DOGs there.

Glad y'all could make it happen.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 PM   #42
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,820
Wassup boys? Nice shots. Damn that looks like an awesome ride. Please continue …

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #43
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

So the next morning we woke up...

.... And headed towards the legendary Engineer Pass. We took Hwy 149 which is a nice scenic road with good curves and partially follows the Gunnison River. Had a nice encounter with some fellow ADVriders who came hauling butt outta nowhere and made some pretty rude passing on blind double yellow curves. The guy on the Ducati was the worst. We would later see them when we filled for gas in Lake City. It took about every ounce of energy Lucky and I had not to walk across the street and kick him in the jimmy. If that was any of you, I sure hope that kind of riding never catches up to you. Ass.

Anyway.

Engineer Pass was awesome. Tons of abandoned mining stuff along the route. My 950 got its first taste of high altitude and didn't like it too much, lol. The road was fun as all get-out. Most of it was easy but the eventual climb to the pass takes just a little skill. We had no problems at all, the climb was awesome. The views nothing short of spectacular.

The way down to 550 or the Million Dollar Hwy had some more technical areas. Nothing crazy, just gotta be smart. An amazing shelf to ride on too. Just awesome.

Enough rambling. Picture time.

Lucky firing up the Jetboil at 11,000 feet for a snack. We would eventually meet Jeff aka El'Hefe here while he was riding his solo expedition. Hope we meet again Jeff.

Cool mine I spotted and rode up to. That's Lucky down there.

Checking out some of the 4x4 trails on the way down. This one got a little outta hand so we turned around.

Almost to the bottom....

Probably the coolest section of the road...

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 05:15 AM
Old 07-21-2012, 05:25 AM   #44
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

At the end of the trail we stopped and I noticed Lucky's skid plate was hanging on by a thread. One bolt was all that still existed. He had sheared the other ones right off. We took it off and strapped it to the back of his bike, with plans to reassemble in Ouray.

Well, we WANTED to head north to Ouray but after sitting in a work zone on 550 and the exit to Engineer Pass for about 20 minutes we said "Forget it" and headed south to Silverton.

Didn't get many pics of the road, but I wish I did. Lots of great s-curves and tight technical hairpins. Fantastic riding. Just fantastic. I did get this pic of an avalanche shelter which I thought was interesting.

One of the few straight sections.

Nice curves.

Turns out that heading south the right call anyway, because Silverton is a very cool town unlike any other I have been to. Main street is paved, all others are dirt. Some good places to eat, gas, neat looking motels if needed, etc.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #45
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

The weather was nice in Silverton. We picked up some supplies and fueled up. Brown Bear Cafe had a good late lunch, and was picked by us as our eatery of choice purely out of process of elimination. It seemed no other places were open for business at 3:00 for some reason. Anyway, it was a good choice and satisfied our needs.

We looked at a map and decided we'd camp just north of town as on the way down we passed a camping sign on the west side of 550 that looked promising.

My problem with camping is I hate established campgrounds. They are full of people, a usually have very little personality at all. We had lucked out the other night with our site on the Blue Mesa Reservoir. It was fantastic. So I knew we'd be comparing any other site to that one. We rode by a few sites on the FS road and weren't excited by any of them. We passed one we though we would come back to if we didn't find anything but kept on riding. I eventually saw signs for "Clear Lake" and got my hopes up. A prerequisite for any camp site is a lake or a river. Gotta have it.

We eventually came to the fork in the road with the turnoff for Clear Lake. I was pretty excited to see it was another 4x4 path and not just another graded dirt road. I took off up the trail with Lucky picking his way (sans skid plate remember) carefully behind me. The road was fun. This was a pic of Lucky on an easy section but most of it had some good rocks tossed in it.

Eventually we climbed a crazy winding dirt and rock section up a pretty big mountain. It has a fantastic waterfall on the side and we knew we were about to see something special. And we did.

There was no doubt we were setting up camp here. There were a few people fishing. They eventually drove off and we set it up.

This lake was at an elevation of 11,800 feet. It was amazing. Surrounded by peaks, and with only one way in and out. It was the most desolate place I had ever camped hands down.

Trying to futz with his skid plate at 11,800 feet. Coolest roadside repair ever. We zip tied it back on. The plan would later be made to ride 3 hours to the closest BMW shop in Grand Junction.

The water was COLD but that didn't stop me from getting in. Melted snow. Brr! But it was so blue and so clear I couldn't NOT.

Taken from across the site. This hill was littered with marmots. They were everywhere. They chirp. Its pretty cool, until they get curious at night and start exploring your campsite. It might have been the worst night of sleep of all time. It seemed as soon as we fell asleep we'd hear something outside the tent. I hate not being able to see out. Hate it. Things didn't get any better when I started hearing coyote howling in the distance. I swore I wouldn't be camping like this again without a .45 under my pillow .

But the views were so worth the poor nights sleep.

The next morning we woke up to a fox doing some fishing on the other side of the lake. Lucky has a lot of pics of him. We watched him for an hour or so. He made his way to our side of the lake and got really close. Very cool experience.

But it was soon time to pack it up and move on towards Grand Junction. The road back down from the lake.

Back into Silverton for breakfast and then we start back up 550... the Million Dollar Hwy... at least the first part was worth a Million... the 2nd part... not so much...

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 02:07 PM