Subscribed
Great report and fantastic pics!
Bnick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #47
oyster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Nice

Hey Flux, maybe you didnt get to join Wes and I in Mexico, but it looks like you had a hell of a trip yourself! Maybe Labrador next year?. Hey man, what camera were you using by the way? Your pics look a lot better than my iPhone report.

Bill O.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #48
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,612
Thanks BNick for reading along.

Oyster, yeah we had a great time. Labrador has my attention....

Most of my pics are actually iPhone 4 pics believe it or not. Straight off the phone. Some are from an Olympus FE300 12 megapixel point 'n shoot I bought when I was writing a lot of articles and needed 12 as a minimum. I actually planned to bring a Canon Rebel but glad I didn't because I broke the Olympus halfway through. I'm sure off road vibes would have killed the DSLR. Colorado makes it damn easy to take good pics.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

After packing up camp and leaving Silverton behind us we shot up 550 for THREE HOURS of riding to get to the BMW/KTM/Harley shop in Grand Junction. The ride to Ouray was good. North of Ouray, though, through Montrose and Delta, was BORING. Pretty much this all day but imagine it was 100F out. Straight and boring.

We finally got to the dealer to get the bolts for Lucky's skid plate. He had called and they told him they had a bunch of them. Cool, we told them we were coming from Silverton, have them ready. We get there... he has bolts for a 1200. I just walked out, leaving Lucky to deal with it. They were able to find something to work on the 1100. 4 bolts cost him $30. Sheesh. We holed up in some little motel next to the airport there, repaired his bike, and got a little drink in us before heading to sleep for the next day's riding. I wanted to get into some more good offroading now that the skid plate was back in action.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:34 PM   #50
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

The next day started out pretty good. We shot out of Grand Junction to the east (after talks about Moab but it was just too dang hot) on I70. We got off on Hwy 65 to Mesa. This was a fantastic road, full of twists, canyons, and along a river. I knew this was going to be a good day. Wish I had taken pics of that road but DANG it was just too much fun to ride it.

From there we jumped on 330E to FS265. Nice dirt roads but not technical at all. I wanted a challenge. I happened to see a little jeep trail to the left and saw it was called 525. Being a former 525EXC owner, I took it as a sign and with a nod to make sure Lucky was cool we were off.

It started off pretty easy.

But soon we started riding some good old fashioned rutted out stuff. (never as steep in pics as it is in real life of course, lol)

A little video of Lucky tackling the rutted hill climb:

And when we came to this obstacle, which us Georgia boys are not used to seeing, we knew good times were ahead!

The GS and the wide Gobi boxes on the 950 just barely squeezed through. Let the games begin!

The trail began to twist and turn and was a pretty narrow 2 track. We kept expecting it to dead end but when it started rolling through big wide valleys we could see it kept going.

It brought us through this aspen forest. With a few obstacles. Fallen tress on fully loaded pigs is fun. The 950 rolled right over with no issues. The Big Red Angry Bird bottomed out on one and I had to give him a boost... was repaid with his rear tire slinging cow patty on my leg, lol. We would eventually start riding through groups of cows. Again, a new experience for us.

A look ahead!

Represent Dualsporters Of Georgia!

The rest of the trail went on down the mountain, over another open range, and we eventually made it back to the original forest service road. Another afternoon storm was on the horizon, and we were ready to get to some shelter when the bottom fell out. Along the way we learned we were on Owens Loop. Off the main FS road there were tons of trails like it. This one had a gnarly hill climb towards the end I am glad we both made it up because I did NOT want to turn around.

We decided to head up to Carbondale for fuel, and over to Aspen for lunch.

On the way we found these coke ovens, in a neat little town called Redstone on Hwy 133. Neat place to stop.

I kinda wanted to eat at the Woody Creek Tavern where Hunter S Thompson used to hang out, but it was so ridiculously busy we left. Aspen had a good little place called Little Annies or something like that. What a trendy town. Bunch of yuppies. We ate a fantastic lunch then shot to Independence Pass...

From Aspens to Aspen.

flux_capacitor screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 02:40 PM
Old 07-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #51
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,220
Outstanding!
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #52
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

After out foray into Aspen we hit Independence Pass before the search for the evening's campsite. Weather was looking spotty so not many pictures again, sorry. But the road was fantastic. Great views, plenty of curves, and nice elevation change.

The summit.

Had to get at least a few shots on the way down...

We searched high and low for campsites along the Twin Lakes area but we didn't think ahead, had no supplies, the general store was closed, another storm was moving in, and on top of that it was now Friday and apparently everyone around camps and reserves sites for the weekend. After 30 minutes of searching we decided we'd head south to Salida for the night.

But, by the time we got halfway towards Buena Vista, we could tell this storm was inevitable and it was gonna be bad. We donned the rain gear on the side of the road, and got into town just in time to duck under a bank drive through for the worst of the storm. Next door was a Super 8 and a few ADV-looking bikes were there... a few LC4 Enduros, 1200 GS... we looked at getting a room but it was an amazing $160 a night! A few calls later we found the coolest motel of the trip, the Mountain View Motel just a few buildings away. After negotiations with "Patty" ended (she was awesome, and knew all the good places to eat, etc) we moved into our $80 room and had a great (and DRY) night.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #53
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Outstanding!

Thanks Jamie, appreciate the comment, thanks for reading along.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #54
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

The plan the next day was to ride east towards Colorado Springs, collect the trucks sometime late that afternoon, and get our final room of the trip together before splitting ways Sunday.

Sadly, THIS put an end to that.

Lucky's GS had had enough and blew its oil sight glass out. Luckily we were just south of Buena Vista, it was the last day of our trip, and we were next to a service station.

I rode back to BV, thinking I could somehow locate the glass, and we could rig it back onto the bike temporarily. No such luck.

Lucky has some pics of the situation to add in. He at least made friends with a chipmunk while I rode back looking for the glass.

A few calls to GS-riding friends and mechanics and the plan was made Lucky would ride bitch on the 950 back to CO Springs, collect his truck, and come back for the Big Red Angry Bird.

I wish I could remember the truck stop's name but its owner, Mark, was very cool and let us stash the GS in his shop til Lucky could retrieve it.

Helluva way to finish the trip, but all things considered I am glad it happened here, on the last day, and in a town not a cow trail.

Sorry, pics don't exist of us riding mandem but I assure you Lucky let several people know in traffic about our heterosexuality and informed a car full of girls that we "weren't gay, his bike was broken down"
Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

After leaving Steve's house in CO Springs, I decided since I had a few days to get home that I would head south to NM, drive a little Route 66, and visit a good friend in Monroe, LA. Then to see my sister who works at the Birmingham Zoo.

Let me tell you, that drive through CO, NM, and TX was TERRIBLE. I would take driving through Kansas again any day. I stopped that night at a crappy motel in Amarillo. I SHOULD have stopped on Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM but NOOOOO I wanted to keep driving.

The next day I drove Hwy 287 to Dallas. Hwy 287 NEVER ENDS and I had to stop a few times just to wake myself back up. In Dallas, I got in another very bad storm after getting onto I20. It was so bad people were stopping in the freeway. After some hail, I jumped off the interstate and ducked under a quarter slot car wash for about 40 minutes til it passed.

Not a great pic but you can see that is a lot of water.

That was a lot of hail, too.

I would finally make it to my friends in Monroe where we went to a pool party and enjoyed maybe a few too many drinks. It was a good welcoming to LA and everyone was really cool, just there to have a good time.

Neal made this crazy thing which was a weave of bacon on the outside and ham, boudain, cheese, and some other crap inside the roll. Then smoked 4 hours. Then fried. Then dipped in whatever this blue stuff was. Then rolled in raspberry jam and powdered sugar. I couldn't bring myself to eat it, but it smelled good. It looked TERRIBLE though.

I had an uneventful drive through MS and AL the next day to see my sis. Not sure which of these states wins the award for WORST ROAD CONDITIONS but I was thankful to be back in Georgia where we've managed to learn to properly pour concrete.

All told, I drove about 4000 miles. We put only about 1200 on the bikes, which amazed me. All the offroading takes time I guess. I learned a few things I will put to use the next time I go out there... and there WILL be a next time... that I'll add in a bit.

In the meantime, maybe Lucky will post some more pics. He took a lot more than I did.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:47 PM   #56
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
I was last over Independence back in '02. Thanks for the reminder.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #57
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,487
Hi, Flux!

Awesome trip, dude. Thanks for the report.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #58
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

No problem GhostDncr! LOL, glad I could help!

Wow, if it isn't the TigerTriple legend himself. How ya been, Stretch? You back to riding again??? Hope you have been well.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #59
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 5,487
I'm doing great, thanks. Yep, back on 250's riding single-track in the woods. Town Creek OHV area is in the Oconee National Forest south of Athens, so I load up the truck and head down there on a weekday a few times a month.

I haven't given up motorcycles, but I have given up traffic.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #60
sandmar
llama llama..rabbit

Oddometer: 3,309
Looks like fun guys! Thanks for sharing
sandmar is offline   Reply With Quote