Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 05:55 PM   #61
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67 View Post
I'm doing great, thanks. Yep, back on 250's riding single-track in the woods. Town Creek OHV area is in the Oconee National Forest south of Athens, so I load up the truck and head down there on a weekday a few times a month.

I haven't given up motorcycles, but I have given up traffic.
Good to hear, Mark. Traffic sucks, no doubt. Next time I am in Athens I will have to hit you up.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #62
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmar View Post
Looks like fun guys! Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the comment, Marshall. Glad you enjoyed.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #63
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Great job guys...

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #64
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
Good to hear, Mark. Traffic sucks, no doubt. Next time I am in Athens I will have to hit you up.
Please do. PM me here or stretchman67@gmail.com
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #65
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,439
Enjoyed it Flux. Glad it all worked out.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #66
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,466
Great pics, I got some crappy ones of the same areas. Gas was $4.85 gal at Aspen bout 3 weeks ago.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #67
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,771
Great pics and story guys... sucks we didn't meet up. Im just now beginning to sort through the 400+ pictures I have left after eliminating the duplicates, crappy shots, and pics of my gloves and such.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #68
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,902
Great RR Flux and Lucky. Glad to see you guys have finally made it out there. I can't believe Colonel Klink lost its monocle... or the fact that Lucky is now riding a GS.:loll My how times have changed. I think some DOGs would pay good money to see a pic of you guys two up on the 950 trying not to act :ymca.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #69
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,657
the reports not over yet

so , you all saw the last couple days of our ride through flux's helmet. now try it from behind my bars. the second to last day was in my opinion the best. all of it. we just woke up in the mode to ride. bash plate all put back together and i had an itch to beat it up some more...and i was with just the right guy to help me do that with.

great photos flux ! theres a couple in there that are front page material.

so my pictures may be out of order....but ill try

the 4x4 road to the clear lake

the water fall on our to clear lake. this thing was so completely unexpected. i mean you ride over the crest of this rocky mountain and there it was. so rewarding. i can only imagine what this thing looks like in spring when the snow is melting\

beemer keeping gaurd for us all night

our visitor thourhg out the night

heres those tight fit cattle gaurds

trying to get out of the rain for a minute

bored at the room picture

woke up to this ten seconds after getting on the road

and alvin was very curious...he stayed on my foot for thirty minutes of so.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #70
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi View Post
Great job guys...
Thanks David! Glad you enjoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Great RR Flux and Lucky. Glad to see you guys have finally made it out there. I can't believe Colonel Klink lost its monocle... or the fact that Lucky is now riding a GS.:loll My how times have changed. I think some DOGs would pay good money to see a pic of you guys two up on the 950 trying not to act .
Thanks Monte. You know how awesome it is out there. I took to calling the sight glass The Monocle... for some reason it just fit. Lucky calls it the Big Red Angry Bird which I think is pretty funny too. Yeah, some DOGS might not be able to stop inappropriate touching with the 2 of us on the same bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
Please do. PM me here or stretchman67@gmail.com
You got it, Stretch. Varsity's on me next time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebye
Enjoyed it Flux. Glad it all worked out.
Thanks Chris, sorry our paths didn't cross. Where the heck are ya these days anyway? We miss you out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh
Great pics, I got some crappy ones of the same areas. Gas was $4.85 gal at Aspen bout 3 weeks ago.
I had to quit looking at gas prices on this trip. Georgia has some of the cheapest gas in the nation. I don't think we were paying $4.85 even for premium though. Thanks for reading, Siyeh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle
Great pics and story guys... sucks we didn't meet up. Im just now beginning to sort through the 400+ pictures I have left after eliminating the duplicates, crappy shots, and pics of my gloves and such.
Yeah Wheedle, we were looking forward to seeing you, sorry it did not work out. I think you were a day behind us in a few places, like Buena Vista. Hope you had a good trip. Sorting pics is time consuming, for sure. I did not take as many as I wish I did. Just an excuse to go back and get some more next year methinks.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #71
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Cool pics, Lucky. Gotta break out some glasses to see some of 'em . I had a great time, obviously. We definitely travel well together. Not sure I could have done a week with many other people besides you or Jen. When we going back?
Old 07-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #72
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

A few things I learned....

I learned a few things I thought I would pass onto other riders looking to visit Colorado. Some of this might pertain to riders from the east coast more than riders from the west. All the same, for someone who has never ridden a bike there, you might find some of this useful.

1- Everyone kept telling me I'd run out of gas. I never did. I came close a few times. A little planning goes a long way. Still, I carried a 1 gallon Rotopax can on top of my top box and I would do it that way again. I suppose if you got caught up in running every possible dirt road you could without any plans to stop into town you could easily run out. I wanted to visit towns as well as roads so I didn't have this issue. I also noticed many gas stations offering .10 discount on gas if paying with cash. Not something I see here in GA>

2- Something else a lot of people told me was that I would have a hard time finding premium gas. This was a non-issue. Every single time I filled up I was able to load up on the expensive stuff. I brought octane booster with me and never used it. I won't bring it next time.

3- Jetting. My bike is a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure, carb'd. Its jetted for something like 3000 feet I think. My bike ran fine til about 10K feet. I could tell anytime I was at that height. 11K feet meant I raised my idle and 11,500 feet it was running like crap. Used a lot of clutch and more throttle than normal. Most of the riding we did was under 11K feet so it was not much of a problem. Personally, I didn't rejet this time and I won't next time either.

4- Terrain and Roads. Colorado is the most diverse state I have ever been to. You can go from flat and straight and BORING roads going through valleys or desert one minute to posted 10mph s-curves the next. I entered one corner way to hot and scared the tar outta myself. Use caution. Stay alert. Its easy to look at the scenery and not pay attention to the roads. Colorado has some sort of weird aversion to guard rails. There aren't many. Also, they do not like road reflectors which we found out when driving to downtown CO Springs at night in the rain for dinner. Offroad we found most of the FS roads in Steve Farson's book were very easy and could be done at any bike if need be. Graded and wide gravel / dirt roads are everywhere. Its nothing to be on one for 60 miles. Actual off road trails can be full of baby head sized rocks and boulders. Its generally easy enough to pick a line around them but be prepared for that line to take you to the edge of a cliff. Lucky took his GS through tons of crazy stuff, I kept looking back waiting for him to say "enough is enough" but he never did. It can be done. Just how pretty you want your bike to be is the question. I ran a pretty high tire psi to avoid pinch flats and bent rims, of which between the 2 of us we had zero.

5- Climate and weather. At lower elevations we found ourselves sweating in near 100F temps. One thing that I loved was NO HUMIDITY. It was great. Higher elevations got colder, obviously. When we camped at 11,800 feet on Clear Lake it got pretty cold. Maybe down to 40F that night. Conversely, when we camped out earlier in the week on the Blue Mesa Reservoir, it stayed pretty warm all night. Engineer Pass at 12k feet was a little chilly but not COLD per se. I put my heated grips on and that was that. I was glad I did not wear a mesh jacket like I almost did. More on gear in a bit.... Nobody ever mentioned MONSOON SEASON when I was planning this trip. But thats what we found ourselves in. It DOWNPOURED every single afternoon we were there, much like you would come across in Florida. It gave us some fantastic photos but it was a huge pain trying to avoid the storms. I didn't want to be caught at elevation in a storm. They were filled with lightning and lots of thunder. The first few days of the trip we dodged rain all day. As the week progressed we could count on dry days with a few hours of rain late in the day. Overall, it was a good time of year to visit CO.

6- Camping. The pm storms always seemed to come as we were looking for a camp site. So the options were, set up camp and stop riding earlier than we wanted to, or set up in the rain, or get a motel. I'm a little embarrassed to say we only camped twice. Next year we decided we won't bring any camping gear at all and will stay in mom n pop motels like the Mountain View Inn. Splitting a room wasn't too bad, and it sure was nice to be able to get a shower in and walk to a restaurant for dinner. It would help reduce weight on the bikes too, making the gnarly sections a little easier.

7- Supplies. Being mostly raised in north Georgia, I am not used to a WalMart not being around the corner, and 60 miles between towns. there is no urban sprawl in most of CO, except CO Springs and Denver. Even Grand Junction pretty abruptly ended. You need to be self sufficient out there. Extra parts and a full tool kit is NEEDED. Extra fasteners, zip ties, tape, etc too. I carried 3L of water in my camel bak and got close to using it all a few times. Carry a few snacks with you, and when you do find a town, don't expect everything to be open for business, as we found out trying to buy a hot lunch in Silverton at 3 in the afternoon.

8- Travel time. This was a big one for me. I was driving solo out there and solo back. I went back and forth on DRIVING out there VS riding the 950. In the end I am glad I drove. The drive across the Great Plains is terribly boring and takes forever. We lived in Omaha for about 3 years as kids so I knew what to expect. I really had no desire to burn up a set of tires and have to change them JUST to say I rode out. I drove 1100 miles the first day. Left GA at 3am and stayed the night in Hays, KS. Drove 400 miles I think the 2nd day to CO Springs. The drive out wasn't that bad. I will NOT drive south to NM and TX again. I think my overall mileage was just a little higher... maybe 1600 miles total... but it took forever and was way more boring than KS. TX was the worst state to drive through. I started in Amarillo one morning, leaving at about 8am, and made it to the state line at about 6pm I think. I did have a delay in Dallas due to not wanting to be swept to Oz. The most interesting roadside attraction I saw was Metropolis, IL. The crappiest thing I saw was St Louis, MO. Sorry but if you live there you need to find a way to get out

*Gear selection coming up next....
Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 AM   #73
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

GEAR SELECTION

JACKET:
I almost wore my mesh Olympia Bushwhacker jacket and I'm glad I didn't. I think I would have been cold a lot of the time. I wore my trusty Hein Gericke Tuareg jacket. It has a removable thermal shell which came in handy more than once. I really debated on bringing the liner but I would have been screwed without it. The Tuareg has several vents, and fits me good. Bad part about it is no waterproofing whatsoever. I was *this close* to buying a Klim Badlands jacket before this trip from Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters and several times I kicked myself for not doing it. It would have saved me the issue of a rain jacket, and it would have vented and been arm enough without a liner (with just a base layer on... liners are BULKY). I intend to get the Klim jacket soon enough.

PANTS:
I wore Olympia Recon pants that are mostly mesh and zip off into shorts. They are pretty good pants. I did wear an REI base layer under them a few cold mornings. I would wear these pants again in a heartbeat. They've served me well for many years now. They vent great and the ability to change to shorts comes in handy.

HELMET:
I wore my trusty old Scorpion VX17 out there. Hated it when it rained, but for the offroading we did it was the right choice. I debated between it and my Arai RXQ but I'm glad I went the dirt bike way.

GLOVES:
I brought 2 pairs of gloves. One was some MSR gloves I got from Acme Rider Supply here in Georgia. They are sweet dual sport gloves with some D3O armor in the knuckles. I wore them most of the time. On chilly sections or lots of road I used my Tractor Supply-bought deerskin gloves I've been using for years.

BOOTS:
Oxtar Infinities are my boot of choice. Never let a drop of water in and comfy enough for walking around in. I could go for more ankle protection but back when I bought these things they were just about the only 'adventure' boot on the market. Love them.

MISC:
I carried 3L of water in my Scott hydration pack. It has enough storage for my food supplies and such. We both carried Jetboil stoves which were great for mid-morning coffee and Ramen noodles with salmon packets. My Buff neck gaiter was great at preventing sunburn and keeping the chill off my face. It made a pretty dorky hat at night too when camping. Dorky but warm. Don't forget a baseball hat to keep sun out of your eyes when off the bike. There are no trees at 12K feet, lol. I packed 3 days worth of clothes. Did laundry in Buena Vista at the motel. Walmart sells little single-use sizes of detergent for half the cost of detergent at the laundry mat.

BIKE:
Bike had half-worn Heidenau K60 on it. Did everything I wanted just fine. Personally, I didn't find the need for full knobs. I know Lucky was happy to have TKC80 on his though. Carried 1 gal Rotopax for extra fuel (but never needed it). Carried zip ties, extra bolts, electrical connectors, full tool kit, 2 spare tubes, tire changing supplies, etc. Be self sufficient. Carried spare fuel pump since that is a weakness of the 950.

NAVIGATION:
My Garmin 60csx did great. I shuffled between it and Steve Farson's book, "the Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado", and the Butler Map for Colorado. Next year I will also buy some FS maps. The book and Butler Map did not show anything about the OHV areas like Owens Loop, which would have been nice for people looking for a bit more gnarly in their adventure. Overall though the book and map were fantastic and I will be bringing them again next year.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #74
TOTim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Thanks for the great ride report. Looking forward to the next one.
TOTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:05 AM   #75
roostingthe65
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I love the pics/write up! I got sent to colorado for work for about 9 months 3 -4 years ago and riding there changes you. Where you talk about the many changes in terrin, roads elevation etc. That's what I always tell people about riding there. Looking at your pics stand the hair up on my neck. I will ride there next year for sure. This year is a month long trip on my street bike leaving in less than a month. Thanks for the pics and bringing back memories of colorado.
roostingthe65 is offline   Reply With Quote