Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Thanks, I'll call a couple and see if i can arrange a test ride !!
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 AM   #17
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
I'd be happy to let you test out my 250cc Maxi styled scooter if you would want to meet me up on the Blue Ridge Parkway some weekend. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from where 52 intersects the parkway.
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
Scooter Nerds in Greensboro carry KYMCO among many other makes. If you want to check out a bunch of sizes and makes it would be worth the trip.

http://www.scooternerds.com/new_vehicle_category.asp
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
Most any vehicle ridden at it's limits can bring a smile to your face. I think most scooters will reach their limits before your current BMW but they won't keep you from having a good time at a slightly slower pace. There is some getting use to the lack of engine braking on downhills, especially on gravel. You will find that proper entry speed achieved by pre corner braking is the key to keeping things smooth.

You sound like you have sporting intentions so you might want to add one of the sportier scooters, the Yamaha T-Max to your list. I've also read that the KYMCO GTI 300 can achieve decent lean angles.
FWIW, the new BV 350 has engine braking with its new wet clutch. That has been one of the points made by pretty much everyone who has gotten one. Those coming from scooters with little or no engine braking have found a need to adjust their riding. Those with more of a motorcycle background are quite happy with it.

Personally, I prefer the more upright seating position of the BV and other larger traditionally styled scooters over that of the maxiscoot Burgman, Majesty, Kymcos, the new BWM or Aprilia SRV 850 (also coming to the US later this year and on the Aprilia USA website already.)

Of all the scoots we've owned the Aprilia Scarabeo 500 is my #1 favorite for touring and riding the twisties. I've put thousands of miles on it riding the Twisted Sisters in Texas with my brother on his BMW and friends on various other big bikes (up to and including 1750cc bikes) and had no problems keeping up. Sure they could smoke me on a long straight road but who cares I can cruise all day at 85-88 mphs as I did crossing US 50 in Nevada or pop up around 100mph to pass if I need to do so (not that I've ever do such a thing:-) )

The Scarabeo seat is much more comfortable than the BV to me and the suspension feels a bit better but I've done 3,700-4,400 mile trips on both. I found the Burgman 400 to be much less comfortable after a 1,200 mile trip than either of the more upright ones on trips in excess for 3,000 miles. Others find the Burgmans more comfortable but if the cruiser position bothers you then I suspect you'd be better off with one of the more upright big wheel scoots. In town I prefer the Vespa GTS 250-300 but its 12" wheels may not suit you.

FWIW, if you aren't in California or New York you can remove the evap canister and gain a fair bit of storage room. I believe the new BV 350 has room for a full face and a 3/4 helmet under the seat if you remove the evap.

cdwise screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 10:47 AM Reason: Added more info on BV 350.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #20
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Keep BMW until ...

IMO, which ever scoot you get, keep your BMW until you just don’t ride it any more. Keep in mind that some of the scoots have the engine mounted to the rear swing arm and some have the engine mounted to the frame. For example I believe the Burgman 400 has the swing arm mounted engine and the Burgman 650 has a frame mounted engine. I don’t owner either one but I would think this would have some effect on ride quality and handling.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 407
Try a Yamaha T Max if you can. It's a twin cylinder 500cc engine and is fast and smooth. 15" wheels and great brakes. Lots of good choices out there but I am really impressed with my T Max. Same front brake calipers as my R1 and Super Tenere and it's a very solid chassis with very good suspension. Handles well, is stable in the twisties. Easily will cruise at 75 mph and about 50mpg+. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
Oldandslower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Try a Yamaha T Max if you can. It's a twin cylinder 500cc engine and is fast and smooth. 15" wheels and great brakes. Lots of good choices out there but I am really impressed with my T Max. Same front brake calipers as my R1 and Super Tenere and it's a very solid chassis with very good suspension. Handles well, is stable in the twisties. Easily will cruise at 75 mph and about 50mpg+. Good luck.
I'm 73 years old, and just sold my 2009 TMAX, and bought a 2012 Suzuki Vstrom 650 (I missed shifting :) What "20valves" says is true. The TMAX is far and away the best "scooter" made today. Pretty extreme thing to say, but true in my opinion (and Motorcycle.com). http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-87665.html

and:http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/1173/M...out-Video.aspx

It's more like an automatic motorcycle than a scooter. Great handling, great acceleration, great brakes, great weather protection-especially with the Givi Touring windshield. You can pick up a new/old model for around $6000.00 or $9000.00 new. Very comfortable to ride all day, great low speed handling. The center of gravity is very low. You can easily stop, look both ways, and start off without putting a foot down at stop signs. In a lot of ways, I wish had kept it..only one bike at a time, for me. :)

Oldandslower screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 02:15 PM
Oldandslower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #23
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I would dearly love to keep my old BMW, SWMBO has a lot to say about that

The T Max looks interesting, but i have never even seen one on the road

I have a friend who owns two Yamaha stores in FL. and i am sure he can make me a heck of a deal on one.
But i wonder why i never see them

I had a sweet Wee Strom for a while, but sold it because i could not defeat the dreaded buffeting issue. I tried a Laminer Lip, a couple different wind screens, but the buffeting was so bad it actually bounced my bi-focals around so much i got a head ache and could not see to ride.

DandyDoug screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 03:05 PM
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #24
Oldandslower
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post

I have a friend who owns two Yamaha stores in FL. and i am sure he can make me a heck of a deal on one.
You don't see them, I think, because they didn't sell well. Too much money, probably--$9000.00 new. I think the new models are more than that. You can still buy a new/old stock one as there are many 2009 models around. Just do a Google search. They have a really great forum: http://majestyusa.com/forums/viewfor...ee2eebcb79f0b2 Lots of help there.

I was pleasantly surprised how good the TMAX is, after I bought it. I bought mine used for $5000.00, rode it awhile, and sold it on eBay for $5000.00 (free ride!) I didn't do anything to it but change oil and filters. What I really liked was acceleration. You can pass a car in seconds and when you look down you're going 90 mph! When you let off the gas it compression brakes just like a motorcycle, and then the clutch gently lets go at about 10mph. Really nice. It was easy to get over 50mpg. Not great for a scooter, but nice for 500cc.\

The new Vstrom (Glee) has a completely different front end and windshield. I added a Givi touring windshield and there is NO buffeting. They tell me the bike is all around better than the old one.

Oldandslower screwed with this post 07-18-2012 at 03:46 PM
Oldandslower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #25
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post

The only TMAX I've ever seen in person is mine.

They haven't sold well in the US at all. They sell like crazy in Europe though. They just introduced a new model over there with the engine bored out to 530cc, there's a thread on here about a very nice one. No plans to bring it to the US though.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Twisted Martini
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I bought a 2009 TMAX last year and absolutely love it. I have seen a few around, in fact I saw one in Kennebunkport ME while we were on vacation. Like a sport bike with an automatic trans. Handles like a dream, great power and responsiveness stock, and many put the J Costa variator on to really make it move.
Twisted Martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Given your parameters, a gently used Honda Silverwing would be an excellent choice.
Warney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
If you care to come down to Cornelius, you could try my Silverwing and/or Vespa GTS. Both are very nice scoots, but in different ways. I also ride with some other scooter riders in the Wilkesboro area and points West; if you would like to meet us up there sometime, PM me or let me know in this thread.

The Swing is a good cruiser out of the box, but can be improved upon for a small outlay. Stiffer fork springs help high speed handling at the loss of some comfort around town. Replace the variator weights with lighter ones and acceleration improves noticeably. Many people also like to swap out the windscreen if they are taller.

The Swing has most of the hp of the b650, but 50 less pounds to drag around. It has also proven to be low maintenance and reliable. Plus, they tend to be available for a reasonable price used.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #29
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Foldart .

I am a bit north of you in Lewisville, when the weather cools off to something less than 80 maybe we could meet up and you can ride my BMW if you like while I ride your scooters.
Doug
Old 07-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #30
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
Doug, I think along the lines you do, except I'm quite a few years older. I had the chance to do good long test rides both on the Yamaha Majesty and on the Tmax. I wrote my impressions here, with good comments from other inmates:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794615
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote