Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #61
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Yea, I admit sometimes i grin inside my helmet. When you get old you appreciate small things in life.

As for peg feelers or pavement scratchers; the old adage is "if you don't fall off now and again, you are not trying hard enough" comes to mind.
When i was young and stupid it did not matter much, now it takes too long to heal up so i take it a bit more cautiously
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #62
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,825
The Burgman 650 should do all you want it to do. In the sport/low tranny setting it has good engine braking. It is very easy to hustle through the NC twisties, though you'll drag the center stand at lean angles like this. The only think I didn't like about the bike was that I couldn't put any weight on my feet the way I like to and can with standard bikes. A whole lot of folks have gone from big bikes to Burgmans and been very happy.

Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:28 AM   #63
Dibber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I understand your feeling of shifting. I'm a mere 8 yrs younger then you and I hate riding my Honda Shadow into the cities. Mostly because it is to slow to maneuver and the shifting issues. Five years ago I bought a scooter and now have a Vespa GTS 300. I love the power, ease to maneuver in traffic or in the curves, get great gas mileage, and yes you don't have to shift...just crank on the throttle and go. I have ridden with some Burgman riders..it is a great scooter with alot of power but is a bit heavier. I have found the Vespa's weight works well even in freeway traffic. Don't sell the bike, but ride both and see how you feel then. I put my bike up for sale..that's how it worked for me. Happy Trails,
Dibber
Dibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #64
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
The left arm/hand problem felt better this morning so i took the AirHead out for a spin. MISTAKE !

Arm is now very painful at the elbow and upper / lower muscles are sore.

Love that shot sent by Dranrab Luap ( what the heck does that mean??)
The Burgman is moving up higher on my list every day. Now i just gotta find one i can ride soon.
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #65
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
The left arm/hand problem felt better this morning so i took the AirHead out for a spin. MISTAKE !

Arm is now very painful at the elbow and upper / lower muscles are sore.

Love that shot sent by Dranrab Luap ( what the heck does that mean??)
The Burgman is moving up higher on my list every day. Now i just gotta find one i can ride soon.
That is my name spelled backwards. The shot was taken at Deals Gap. I was hoping I could get sparks flying off of the center stand, but the pic didn't capture it.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #66
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
A Little Help Please

Hey folks, I need to transition to a new type of riding so I need to sell my DR650. Please tell your friends and neighbors about the great deal you just found. Thanks,

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822901
Old 09-08-2012, 09:41 PM   #67
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
I currently ride a 1985 BMW R80 and am considering buying a Maxi scooter but have some doubts about it being suitable for me.
I live in central NC. and ride the twisty bits a lot.
Today's run was three states and 300 miles of some really tight mountain roads. Aside from the heat whipping me, I am flat worn out from shifting , and throwing the bikes weight around.
I'm 68 and considered to be a very smooth rider ( been doing it a long time)
I still tour a bit , not as much as in the past, comfort is a big factor in my decision process.

A Burgman is high on my interest list along with maybe the BMW C650GT if they ever get here.

Who can shed some light on the usability of a Maxi in the tight twisty bits ?

How does the engine braking ( off throttle ) effect the machine ?

What about the cornering clearance ?
( all that plastic looks expensive if it gets scuffed up)
The Burgman 650 in it's heart is more motorcycle than scooter chassis wise with a solid front end and decent weight distribution. It's kind of GoldWing light, it can manage a pretty decent turn of speed in the twisties but it's still a touring bike at heart. If backroads are your bliss a T-Max also has a high quality motorcycle chassis far better than even the big Burgie and the steering, lean angle and brakes of serious sporting hardware.

If tight twisties are your meat there really is no other choice in a big scoot.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #68
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
The Burgman 650 in it's heart is more motorcycle than scooter chassis wise with a solid front end and decent weight distribution. It's kind of GoldWing light, it can manage a pretty decent turn of speed in the twisties but it's still a touring bike at heart. If backroads are your bliss a T-Max also has a high quality motorcycle chassis far better than even the big Burgie and the steering, lean angle and brakes of serious sporting hardware.

If tight twisties are your meat there really is no other choice in a big scoot.
As far as handling goes, the new BMW scoots are the new benchmark - but you will have to buy new or fairly new. Handling is good - I had one right over within 3 miles of leaving the dealership.

Weight - all the maxi-scoots are heavier than your R80.
Seat comfort - all will be better than the R80.
Ride comfort - that is going to depend so much on the roads that you ride. You really must to do a test ride - as you would with the purchase of any motorcycle. I did not think that the C650GT was as comfortable as my R1200RT - but the RT is one of the most comfortable sport touring motorcycles that you can buy. I have absolutely no idea how it would compare to an R80.

In their basic capabilities, all the maxi-scoots are more than capable of 300 mile days.

Good luck with your choice.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #69
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
I just can't understand why the prices are sooo high on the maxi scooters! The Burgman's and SW's are going at $10K!! You can buy a new Kawasaki 250 Ninja that has the same or even better perfomance numbers than any maxi scooter for less than $4000.
I don't understand how the production costs would cost more to make a maxi scooter? They have better materials, or require much more labor hours to assemble ?
Maybe I am a cheap skate, but I don't believe that spending more money on any item makes that item better, I wear it as a badge of honor that my $5000 scooter will perform as good and better than your $10,000 scooter.
When I wanted to buy a new 650 Burgman back in 2010 the dealer held it hostage and wanted a HIGHER price than MSRP for it! Telling me why should he sell it to me at a discount when the next person that walks in the door will give him the price he wants for it? Yanno? hes right! I didn't kiss his ass and begged for it, instead I went to the Yamaha Dealer and purchaced a new 09 leftover Tmax for $5000,,,, and later found out the Tmax was BETTER than the 650 Burgman!
In my opinion that 650 Burgman isn't worth $10,000
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #70
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
You are comparing prices with the wrong baseline. If you really want a cheap lightweight 250cc motorcycle, then you pay just what a lightweight 250cc motorcycle is worth.

With a maxi you get weather protection, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you (with most models) get built-in storage, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you get a form of automatic transmission, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you are shielded from engine and header pipe heat, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you get (with some models) twin headlights sometimes equal to car, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you get substantial mass and wide roomy seat to take two, so you are paying for that.

With more, you pay more.
If you are satisfied with less - there you go!

Destroyer - Battleship - Cruiser.
A cruiser costs more to build than a destroyer. But then, a battleship costs much more than does a cruiser.
So, again, one picks a 5 inch gun ---- or goes all out for nine 16 inch guns! The big guns take a bigger gun crew and throw shells a whole lot further.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #71
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
You are comparing prices with the wrong baseline. If you really want a cheap lightweight 250cc motorcycle, then you pay just what a lightweight 250cc motorcycle is worth.

With a maxi you get weather protection, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you (with most models) get built-in storage, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you get a form of automatic transmission, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you are shielded from engine and header pipe heat, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you get (with some models) twin headlights sometimes equal to car, so you are paying for that.
With a maxi you get substantial mass and wide roomy seat to take two, so you are paying for that.

With more, you pay more.
If you are satisfied with less - there you go!

Destroyer - Battleship - Cruiser.
A cruiser costs more to build than a destroyer. But then, a battleship costs much more than does a cruiser.
So, again, one picks a 5 inch gun ---- or goes all out for nine 16 inch guns! The big guns take a bigger gun crew and throw shells a whole lot further.
basically one can buy a car with manual or automatic. The manual will be cheaper. That said as you say with motorcycles there is even more of a difference.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #72
HandKPhil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I tend to agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I just can't understand why the prices are sooo high on the maxi scooters! The Burgman's and SW's are going at $10K!! You can buy a new Kawasaki 250 Ninja that has the same or even better perfomance numbers than any maxi scooter for less than $4000.
I don't understand how the production costs would cost more to make a maxi scooter? They have better materials, or require much more labor hours to assemble ?
Maybe I am a cheap skate, but I don't believe that spending more money on any item makes that item better, I wear it as a badge of honor that my $5000 scooter will perform as good and better than your $10,000 scooter.
When I wanted to buy a new 650 Burgman back in 2010 the dealer held it hostage and wanted a HIGHER price than MSRP for it! Telling me why should he sell it to me at a discount when the next person that walks in the door will give him the price he wants for it? Yanno? hes right! I didn't kiss his ass and begged for it, instead I went to the Yamaha Dealer and purchaced a new 09 leftover Tmax for $5000,,,, and later found out the Tmax was BETTER than the 650 Burgman!
In my opinion that 650 Burgman isn't worth $10,000
I tend to agree that $10,000 is a heck of a lot of dough for a scooter. There's a lot of engineering, tooling and investment in infrastructure that goes into something as sophisticated as a Maxi scooter though - way more so than what's put into an econo/sport bike like a Ninja 250, I would imagine. I'm also guessing that the Ninja 250s has the advantage of economies of scale vs. a bike like a Burgman 650, i.e. they probably sell 10 little Ninjas for every big Burgie sold.

That being said though, I'm with you on not having to spend a fortune to get a pretty darn good bike. I'd rather spend 5 G's and get a Tmax, than spend 10 G's on a Burgman 650. They're both great bikes, and if they were the same price I'd buy the Burgman, but at a 5 G price differential the Tmax wins the value equation hands down.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #73
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandKPhil View Post
I tend to agree that $10,000 is a heck of a lot of dough for a scooter. There's a lot of engineering, tooling and investment in infrastructure that goes into something as sophisticated as a Maxi scooter though - way more so than what's put into an econo/sport bike like a Ninja 250, I would imagine. I'm also guessing that the Ninja 250s has the advantage of economies of scale vs. a bike like a Burgman 650, i.e. they probably sell 10 little Ninjas for every big Burgie sold.

That being said though, I'm with you on not having to spend a fortune to get a pretty darn good bike. I'd rather spend 5 G's and get a Tmax, than spend 10 G's on a Burgman 650. They're both great bikes, and if they were the same price I'd buy the Burgman, but at a 5 G price differential the Tmax wins the value equation hands down.
I've got a great idea. Give it about 1 more month and then go shopping for a 3 or 4 year old scoot that someone's getting ready to put up for the winter. You would be AMAZED at the deal you can get. I'm going this weekend to look at a silverwing for sub $2k. It's got a few fairing scratches but not enough to worry about.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:19 AM   #74
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
scooters are in super high demand right now cause of $4/gal gas prices, the growing older baby-boomers that no longer have the physical ability to ride the big bore cruiser bikes, and the scooters appeal to the beginners cause they are easy to ride.
so they can get away with selling them at a high price.
You guys that own a Japanese bike or scooter ever walk into a BMW Dealer? You are a marked man! You're like a virus or a disease to that dealer when you walk in,,, a blind man could see he's not welcome there!,,, funny how BMW comes out with a maxi scooter and that means a whole new customer base other than they are used to seeing,,, I wonder how they are going to fake and pretend to love new customers that walk into their door? I believe in time the real dealer will come out. I mean how can anybody base their business and profits when they only like old and former customers?
I have to admit, you guys that want to buy the new BMW scooter really have some balls to walk in and not be afraid to ask for that scooter!
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #75
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 821
There are bad dealers and there are good dealers. Asserting that all dealers are bad is, in my opinion, not really fair or realistic.

Tacoma, you're a guy who likes to paint with a broad brush and I guess it's based on your personal experience, or so you say, but not everyone has the same experience as you. Although I had something of a negative experience at the local Honda dealer while getting my SWing serviced prior to my trip earlier this month, fact is that the work they did was spot on and the bike ran great. Our local BMW dealer, one of the largest around (A&S) also sells Triumphs, Ducatis, Vespas and Piaggios and many of its staff members ride scooters and belong to local scooter clubs.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but assuming that everyone feels the same way you do is not correct, and frankly, it's a bit arrogant. I'm real clear that you hate all bikes except your TMax and all dealers. Got it.

Returning to the original poster's query, many have changed from motorcycles to maxi scooters and many others ride both. It's a logical thing to do. Maxi scooters rock and are very capable of doing just about anything you'd use a regular motorcycle to do, except gain macho points. If that's not a critical issue, the motor to maxi switch is a good one and there are a lot of good maxis out there, including the Burgs, the TMax, the SWing, the BV350 and 500 and others...