Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #76
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
I just rolled in from my first trip on my new Burgman; ( just shy of 1000 miles in 4 days)

Let me tell you what you get for less than $10k

Great comfort, excellent wind and weather protection , 49.7 mpg ! (and that's wacking on it in the mountains, hauling ass down the interstate at 80mph). I am not nearly as fatigued as I would be on my R80 BMW .

A bunch of really odd looks when you blow by the HD dudes riding in the death march formation.

The huge grin on your face, when the hot shoe guys you are riding with ( who made snide remarks about a SCOOTER ) realize they cannot run off and leave you in the mountain twisties.

Yes, it needs bar backs for this old man, and the suspension is a joke; but that's all easily fixed.

I have heard it said by folks who ride them, that they wish they had done it sooner.
They are correct IMHO
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #77
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
I just rolled in from my first trip on my new Burgman; ( just shy of 1000 miles in 4 days)

Let me tell you what you get for less than $10k

Great comfort, excellent wind and weather protection , 49.7 mpg ! (and that's wacking on it in the mountains, hauling ass down the interstate at 80mph). I am not nearly as fatigued as I would be on my R80 BMW .

A bunch of really odd looks when you blow by the HD dudes riding in the death march formation.

The huge grin on your face, when the hot shoe guys you are riding with ( who made snide remarks about a SCOOTER ) realize they cannot run off and leave you in the mountain twisties.

Yes, it needs bar backs for this old man, and the suspension is a joke; but that's all easily fixed.

I have heard it said by folks who ride them, that they wish they had done it sooner.
They are correct IMHO
I'm glad you've joined the top secret club of helmet grinners scooting around. I don't think of the super scooters as a development of the traditional Vespa style scooter. I think they are more of an advanced evolution distilled from the Honda PC800.

BTW, I hope you kept your R80 for nostalgia rides.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #78
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi DD

Congrats on your purchase of a new maxi scooter! I have enjoyed following this thread...
I hope you enjoy the Burgman, and look forward to updates...
Ken
KennyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #79
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
I'm glad you've joined the top secret club of helmet grinners scooting around. I don't think of the super scooters as a development of the traditional Vespa style scooter. I think they are more of an advanced evolution distilled from the Honda PC800.

BTW, I hope you kept your R80 for nostalgia rides.
No , unfortunately for me, I can no longer manipulate the clutch lever more than a couple of times.
So it is available for anyone who wants a really nicely sorted , exceptionally well maintained ( and documented) 1985 airhead R80.
Doug
Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #80
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyT View Post
Congrats on your purchase of a new maxi scooter! I have enjoyed following this thread...
I hope you enjoy the Burgman, and look forward to updates...
Ken
Thanks, it's keeping me on two wheels a bit longer, and i am not unhappy with my purchase of the Burgman.
Maxi's are one of the secrets of longivity for riders
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #81
Rugby4life
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyDoug View Post
No , unfortunately for me, I can no longer manipulate the clutch lever more than a couple of times.
So it is available for anyone who wants a really nicely sorted , exceptionally well maintained ( and documented) 1985 airhead R80.
Doug
Got any pics of the R80 + details and price? (don't let my wife know I'm asking) Plus some pics of the scoot would be cool.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #82
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 765
I'm gonna second this.

I'm making a tour of Colorado...on a Burgman 650. Now, I've done touring...everything from a Yamaha SR500, 25 years ago, to an R1200GS, 18 months ago to Dallas and back. But, although I lived in Denver some years...never toured Colorado by bike.

The Burgman has been FLAWLESS. Balanced well; does altitude and grades and even rotgut gas, well. What I cannot store under the seat fits well on the passenger seat in a duffle....perfect.

Complaints? Only one...and it's about me, not the machine. Not working gearbox and clutch...I don't notice fatigue until I start messing up on traffic moves or such...and it can be embarrassing. Dumb moves at the end of the day.

That...and lack of respect by some of the hard-core biker crowd as you come across 'em. But...fuggum if they can't take a joke...

1999 BMW R1100RT - backsliding on the Scooter Life.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #83
DandyDoug OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugby4life View Post
Got any pics of the R80 + details and price? (don't let my wife know I'm asking) Plus some pics of the scoot would be cool.
I rarely am successful at posting pictures on any of the forums. My computer skills are not great, and when I get pictures to load it's a crap shoot.
PM me with your e mail and i can send the R80 pictures and data along with a few Burgman shots from the trip.

Doug