Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #136
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,570
heading south down route 7 in Arkansas most of the way to Louisiana, if you haven't ridden it you should nice curves the whole way, minimal traffic, friendly people, small towns.

the ride back t LA was pretty uneventful except for a snapped chain that happened at about 50mph on a bend, could have been bad

it just left me searching thru my bags for a link to make a repair as no one was stopping even the guy on the red sport touring bike who came by as i was rolling my bike backwards down a hill looking for a flat spot to work on it...he literally turned his head away and accelerated over the horizon!!! If you are reading this whoever you are karmas a bitch

the rest of the ride was rain off and on for hours so the cameras stayed tucked away

rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #137
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,551
Rivot links are a good thing, little more work but you don't ever have a masterlink failure
Old 08-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #138
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Rivot links are a good thing, little more work but you don't ever have a masterlink failure
i've been riding 38 years and never one chain problem but on this bike split links seem an issue (third time for me) not only for me but other owners...so a new rivet link tool was ordered after this happened and is on the way to me right now - i agree with you 100%
Old 08-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #139
drex
So Cal

Oddometer: 115
Thumb Thanks!

Great thread -- really appreciate the photos of the many miles you've covered! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #140
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

glad you're enjoying it, i'm only about 20 days in so far with about 7 or 8 months left to go...stay tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drex View Post
Great thread -- really appreciate the photos of the many miles you've covered! Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #141
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post

it just left me searching thru my bags for a link to make a repair as no one was stopping even the guy on the red sport touring bike who came by as i was rolling my bike backwards down a hill looking for a flat spot to work on it...he literally turned his head away and accelerated over the horizon!!! If you are reading this whoever you are karmas a bitch
There are many new riders out on the roads these days and few have been taught the MC traveler credo "never leave a fellow MC rider disabled on the side of the road". If you are a gnarly looking male, you could have a long wait if you needed help.

Thanks for posting your RR!
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTec Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #142
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Quote:
i've been riding 38 years and never one chain problem but on this bike split links seem an issue (third time for me) not only for me but other owners...so a new rivet link tool was ordered after this happened and is on the way to me right now - i agree with you 100%
Kinda makes me wonder about sprocket alinement. I had a DL1000 which a guy from Germany had made spacers to correctly aline the rear sprocket with the front. I'm like you, I've got many miles and many years on clip master link chains and have not had a problem yet. Knock on wood. My KLR is still a clip master. But, the Bandit is rivet.

Any who, thanks for all the work and time to do this awesome ride report. Great pictures.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:52 PM   #143
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

if you look at my profile you'll see i know about motorcycles, i owned a motorcycle shop for years and used to build about 100 bikes out of my shop a year (almost all chain driven)...honestly i think its the bike, on xt660.com there have been numerous people saying the same thing, i think its the whip of the chain as it hits the rear sprocket as there is no additional chain guide like you find on other bikes, xr650 for example...

from here on out the plan is rivet links, just got a new chain and links in and they sent me clip type by mistake!!!
Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #144
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,920
Hey Paul, would it be any use to safety wire the masterlink if you go for a clip one as a spare?
Also, I
I've never done it but I have heard you can use a small set of vice grips and a copper BB type little ball in order to spread the rivets with the rivet type link (in case you lose or don't have access to the tool).
On my old Honda XR's I used a small nut and a pair of vice grips to press the sideplate on an o-ring chain prior to a clip type master link install when I didn't have my side plate press tool.
Glad to hear the chain spit out the back and didn't wrap up, guess your karma is doing fine!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #145
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Paul, would it be any use to safety wire the masterlink if you go for a clip one as a spare?
Also, I
I've never done it but I have heard you can use a small set of vice grips and a copper BB type little ball in order to spread the rivets with the rivet type link (in case you lose or don't have access to the tool).
On my old Honda XR's I used a small nut and a pair of vice grips to press the sideplate on an o-ring chain prior to a clip type master link install when I didn't have my side plate press tool.
Glad to hear the chain spit out the back and didn't wrap up, guess your karma is doing fine!
I've done that before...funny thing is it always seems to happen on pavement not dirt - you would think it would be the other way around!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #146
dallastx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
I´ve done 82.000km´s so far on my ´08 XT660Z Tenere and never had any chain problems(rivet)....I´m running my fourth chain&sprocket set now(so an average of around 20.000km....pretty good for a thumper, imho). I always take care of the right chain tension(50-60mm) and replace cushdrive rubbers(no fiddlin' with tube pieces) when they're shot. At least this is my experience.
Greetz, Hans.

XT660Z Tenere '08 http://dallastx.smugmug.com

Visit www.xt660.com and www.hank3.com
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #147
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

in Louisiana for a week or so, mainly doing a few little odds and ends on the bike, but some riding as well, if you get down here there are a few things to see out of the ordinary as the landscape kind of sucks unless you are really into swampland

this is a real shot,not photo shopped

now imagine this...my friend told me he remembered riding down a road in the swamps early one morning, and the whole road was covered with them, but because of the light he didn't notice them straight away...then the whole road started jumping. the way he descibes it..."lets just say my bike was a real mess by the time i stopped"

rtwpaul screwed with this post 08-29-2012 at 02:46 PM
Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #148
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,934
Thumb

Quote:
Needless to say it ended up in court and was a very stressful time, so much to the point I had a mild stroke and went blind for about twenty minutes and then I was partially blind for about 8 weeks – from then on my life changed….
It is apparent the eyesight issues have not decreased your vision. Great photos Paul.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:49 AM   #149
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
It is apparent the eyesight issues have not decreased your vision. Great photos Paul.
as long as there's a horizon and i can see it, then i want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually
Old 08-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #150
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
subscribed...
aviatorbdm is offline   Reply With Quote