Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #316
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4thenite View Post
Awesome report on border crossing. I am currently D minus 10. More or less......

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
i hope thats hours or days...not weeks, months or years

if its one of the first two you'll catch me along the road for sure...starting to slow down dramatically now
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:50 PM   #317
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,104
Hey rtwpaul,

From 1 paul to another...I'm really enjoying your report. I did the same crossing into Belice a shade over two years ago and enjoyed the change of cultures. Love the sound of Belician Enlgish.

Ride well.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #318
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

its time for a few days to stop and not ride...feels good. I'm at the crooked tree lodge www.crookedtreelodgebelize.com

nobody else here than me so i can unwind from the stress of having to ride my bike around the world

this is my cabana

and some views around the place

late afternoon and into the very early hours Mick (the owner) and i went into Belize city to a pig roast to meet some of his friends, Belize has a avery eclectic of ex pats from the UK, South Africa, US and various eastern block and arab counties.

*************i was talking to one guy and he was telling me that the border from Belize to Guatemala maybe closed, there was a shooting by the Belize border control of a Guatemalan farmer and tensions were running high, he felt that as a non Belizian it shouldn't be an issue but he did what to make me aware of it just the same...stay tuned on that one
Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #319
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
Hey rtwpaul,

From 1 paul to another...I'm really enjoying your report. I did the same crossing into Belice a shade over two years ago and enjoyed the change of cultures. Love the sound of Belician Enlgish.

Ride well.
just read thru your ride report, some good stuff in there, looked like you guys had a blast...i'm still in Belize, the accent reminds me of Jamaican Patwa accent, but in English, very cool
Old 10-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #320
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

as i am just down the road from Lamanai Mayan temples i took a ride to day to have a look around...its renowned for being one of the quieter sites and i only saw 14 other people there

information from Wiki...

Lamanai was occupied as early as the 16th century BC. The site became a prominent centre in the Pre-Classic Period, from the 4th century BC through the 1st century CE. In 625 CE, "Stele 9" was erected there in the Yucatec language of the Maya. Lamanai continued to be occupied up to the 17th century AD. During the Spanish conquest of Yucatán Spanish friars established two Roman Catholic churches here, but a Maya revolt drove the Spanish out. The site was subsequently incorporated by the British in British Honduras, passing with that colony's independence to Belize.

on the way there it was monkeys and iguanas and a few bird taking off

then it was on to the temples

this is the jaguar temple

view from the top

it was a steep climb

onto the mask temple

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #321
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,357
Supremely awesome RR! Killer photos. Loving the temples. Been there and my pics aren't half that good!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #322
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 267
Dear Paul,

I hate your guts.

Love,
Everyone who isn't on this amazing ride with you.

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #323
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
I hate your guts.

Love,
Everyone who isn't on this amazing ride with you.
so what you're trying to say that i feel kinda like witha little bit of and you are sitting there like...

OK!!!

then you'll really hate the next post later...

but good to hear from you all the same...hows it back in real life?
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #324
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

i kind of left crooked tree lodge this morning wondering if i was doing the right thing, talk about a relaxing place that just made you feel at home, really like one of the family - sometimes you need that when you are on the road

i sent an email last night to a place in Hopkins, a tiny little village on the sea about 150 miles south, all i was thinking was it seemed like a good distance and it gets me closer to the Guatemala border

i rode thru some of the remaining flat lands and swamp/ marsh/ lagoon areas

passing an unusual statue at a roundabout just outside of Belmopan, but to much traffic to stop and investigate

onto the Hummingbird Highway, a real nice ride going up in elevation slightly to about 1000 feet + and thru the rain forest, huge palms everywhere, some unususal trees and very small bridges that a few semi's that passed must have had to breath in to get over

Hopkins is about 6 miles down this road that 50 yards in turned to a mix of paving from decades ago and big potholes

my destination was Tipple Tee Beya, a small four room place according to the website (http://www.tippletree.com/), and on the beach front, that would be correct and this is my view from my room, 20 yards from the Caribbean Sea

i read this and it seemed like a good reason to make a visit...Today Hopkins is a small but vibrant community of approximately 1,000 villagers. The people live mostly by farming and fishing, and more recently many have found work in the growing tourist industry. The residents are known for their friendliness and genuine hospitality, and welcome visitors to their village. Hopkins has a selection of gift shops, restaurants and small bars. Hopkins was recently voted "The Friendliest Village in Belize" by Belize First Magazine.

...and everybody does say hello and wave as you ride by

so after a swim in the warm water, i am writing this sitting in my hammock - sorry CJ

Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #325
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

just heard a loud thud outside... just coconuts falling from the palms, so i went and borrowed a machete...

not this

or this

or this...but she would be useful for lots of reasons, and i wouldn't need to do spanish lessons

this kind...

they're everywhere here...so i now have a snack in the fridge...this adventurer lifestyle is tough

rtwpaul screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #326
GhostRiderFC
Just a guy who rides

Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
so after a swim in the warm water, i am writing this sitting in my hammock - sorry CJ

Oh, yeah... rub it in, why don't you!?!?

Seriously, it looks great.

Meanwhile, life goes on. I got in a few short local rides. Nothing special. Looking for a job so I can replenish my bank account. So, while I'm doing this: You keep doing this: And I'll keep following for no apparent reason other than research and jealousy!

Ride on, buddy!

IBA #: 48128
My First Ride Report - Summer 2012
My Spotwalla
GhostRiderFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #327
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
just heard a loud thud outside... just coconuts falling from the palms, ....

they're everywhere here...so i now have a snack in the fridge...this adventurer lifestyle is tough

I was walking along some beach trails in Costa Rica a number of years ago and heard a thump! right behind me. Looked around and saw nothing, looked down and saw the biggest coco I had ever seen. A second earlier and I wouldn't be here. Don't know if it's true or not, but someone once told me falling cocos kill more than do poisonous snakes in Central America...prolly not true.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 AM   #328
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

Looks Awesome!

Departure day has finally come for me. I will be leaving Shediac, NB later this morning, as soon as it warms up a bit. 3C this early morning. Thanks for the advice you gave me. I hope to see you, down the road

Kedgi

(Dwight)

I've started a ride report. Here's a link

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #329
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
awesome post

Quote:
i kind of left crooked tree lodge this morning wondering if i was doing the right thing, talk about a relaxing place that just made you feel at home, really like one of the family - sometimes you need that when you are on the road

i sent an email last night to a place in Hopkins, a tiny little village on the sea about 150 miles south, all i was thinking was it seemed like a good distance and it gets me closer to the Guatemala border

i rode thru some of the remaining flat lands and swamp/ marsh/ lagoon areas

passing an unusual statue at a roundabout just outside of Belmopan, but to much traffic to stop and investigate

onto the Hummingbird Highway, a real nice ride going up in elevation slightly to about 1000 feet + and thru the rain forest, huge palms everywhere, some unususal trees and very small bridges that a few semi's that passed must have had to breath in to get over

Hopkins is about 6 miles down this road that 50 yards in turned to a mix of paving from decades ago and big potholes

my destination was Tipple Tee Beya, a small four room place according to the website (http://www.tippletree.com/), and on the beach front, that would be correct and this is my view from my room, 20 yards from the Caribbean Sea

i read this and it seemed like a good reason to make a visit...Today Hopkins is a small but vibrant community of approximately 1,000 villagers. The people live mostly by farming and fishing, and more recently many have found work in the growing tourist industry. The residents are known for their friendliness and genuine hospitality, and welcome visitors to their village. Hopkins has a selection of gift shops, restaurants and small bars. Hopkins was recently voted "The Friendliest Village in Belize" by Belize First Magazine.

...and everybody does say hello and wave as you ride by

this is a cover shot for sure
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #330
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
I was walking along some beach trails in Costa Rica a number of years ago and heard a thump! right behind me. Looked around and saw nothing, looked down and saw the biggest coco I had ever seen. A second earlier and I wouldn't be here. Don't know if it's true or not, but someone once told me falling cocos kill more than do poisonous snakes in Central America...prolly not true.
funny you should say that, when i lived in the Bahamas and got my car insurance i was asked if i wanted coconut insurance? i laughed but the guy explained that more damage was done to cars than other by cars, then he said you can get personal coconut insurance but you have to go somewhere else for that as i don't sell it here...so it maybe true