DutchDreamer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Video blocked by EMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmedic View Post
Fantastic video, good job.
Hi Paul,

EMI apparantly had the guts to block your last video, at least for Holland. They state the video contains EMI intellectual property. I do'nt know for other countries.

I really enjoyed your epic adventures and hope you will be on wheels again very soon.

Thanks and good luck!

DutchDreamer
DutchDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #872
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDreamer View Post
Hi Paul,

EMI apparantly had the guts to block your last video, at least for Holland. They state the video contains EMI intellectual property. I do'nt know for other countries.

I really enjoyed your epic adventures and hope you will be on wheels again very soon.

Thanks and good luck!

DutchDreamer
here's a link that you can see of the same video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dICJDXHcQE
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #873
Eggroll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Gore-tex gear works better in COLD than in heat. And don't forget doing S. America means just as much COLD as heat. Once you're up in the Andes of Ecuador, Peru', Bolivia and Patagonia ... it's cold, rainy windy.

So you need gear to cover both situations.
In heat I wear dirt riding gear with my own elbow, knee, and back protector.
My jacket has armor removed, I just wear it OVER my armor ... and in heat strap it back of bike. Simply, cheap rain gear adds extra warmth over any decent riding jacket.
I wear leathers in cold. I carry both. The dirt pants pack down to nothing and leathers are good up to about 85F.

Honestly guys ... you really don't need a $1250 made in China Klim jacket.
Sure, they are well made and designed. But there's much more to it ... it's really a simple issue.
I like what you said and very much agree with you after riding in Thailand
and Vietnam.

Eggroll
Eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #874
Matt 82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Great thread. Only just discovered it. Haven't managed to get through it yet so forgive me if my question has been discussed already.

Are you coming to Europe at all? We should have a spare room if you find yourself in central Scotland.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #875
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
Great thread. Only just discovered it. Haven't managed to get through it yet so forgive me if my question has been discussed already.

Are you coming to Europe at all? We should have a spare room if you find yourself in central Scotland.
any questions fire away...won't be in scotland for a few years, hopefully you are still around then
Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 AM   #876
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Photos

Fantastic photos Paul and bought back good memories for the short part of the journey we were on with you.
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #877
Dazzer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
But Leigh and I are taking Bet's to see in which country you post " I wish I was still on my XT660Z

We passed a few broken down KTM's in Russia... Siberia and Mongolia . Mind you KTM do send there parts out pretty fast. Which is more than can be said for Yamaha when we were trying to get a rear Wheel to Texas

You can shed a lot of weight off the Tenere. aftermarket wheels and hubs . single side exhaust and soft luggage and less of it. With the standard 23 lt tank you don't need to carry extra fuel even in Mongolia .

Dazzer screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 09:05 PM
Dazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #878
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
I see your selling a bit of history

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876218

best of luck -
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #879
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
I see your selling a bit of history

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876218

trying to but there is some many negative uninformed people commenting it has become a debate, i guess i am making a precedent trying to get the first one sold and registered...we'll see
Old 04-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #880
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
trying to but there is some many negative uninformed people commenting it has become a debate, i guess i am making a precedent trying to get the first one sold and registered...we'll see

I was reading the debate - but the funny part is - DAZZER from the UK is trying to sell his one - and he is getting the fence line lawyers giving there 2 1/2 cents of miss information too
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #881
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
I was reading the debate - but the funny part is - DAZZER from the UK is trying to sell his one - and he is getting the fence line lawyers giving there 2 1/2 cents of miss information too
seems most everyone on both classifieds is a genius but has no real world facts as this is a unique situation...

time will tell, it would be great to sell but i also have another nine bikes to sell as well, a truck and loads of other stuff...as soon as its gone i'm gone
Old 04-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #882
dvmweb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks to alla youse guys.

Seems I get to these reports late. You guys are great. Just finished following this epic journey. Very, very cool.

RTWPaul,
Thank you for the most excellent adventure. Better than any book, magazine or movie. Real people, real travails, real guts. Well done.

I am still working, soon to retire, finishing up my time so to speak. Rhetorical: Why does it take near tragedy or significant life changes to make us see that what rtwdoug, rtwpaul, jdowns, TM, and others have done is what WE really want and should do?

Well, love it and thanks again.

BTW, if anyone needs a place to stay, work on your bike, or a beer while travelling through NE Lower peninsula of Michigan, yer welcome. Is there a thread for this?

Walt MI/USA
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #883
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
BTW, if anyone needs a place to stay, work on your bike, or a beer while travelling through NE Lower peninsula of Michigan, yer welcome. Is there a thread for this?

Walt MI/USA
Yes, the Tent Space List.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149585

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #884
rtwpaul OP
out riding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post

RTWPaul,
Thank you for the most excellent adventure. Better than any book, magazine or movie. Real people, real travails, real guts. Well done.

I am still working, soon to retire, finishing up my time so to speak. Rhetorical: Why does it take near tragedy or significant life changes to make us see that what rtwdoug, rtwpaul, jdowns, TM, and others have done is what WE really want and should do?
It's not always a major event that sends you out there, but it is a common feature for sure with a certain few, whether your situation has been good or bad, life on the road once you've done it a few times always seems better, i would not wish on anyone what happened to me, if you don't what i mean go back to post #1, it is all explained there have

i personally have been doing long bike trips for years, i'm talking +7500 mile trips, the ones when you are gone for weeks at a time...one thing i know for sure every time you go it is better, you have more experience, you carry less and less stuff, you do get more adventurous and you are always thinking when will the next time be

so for me, as for so many a little hiatus in my RTW in Vegas, could be a worst place, and then i carry on...doing a RTW doesn't mean having to do it in one go, John Downs is leaving his bike in Colombia, TM has his in Venezuela, for me it was more convenient to ride it home.

the one recurring question that crops up is cost...how do you afford to do this? Well you save up and go, and once you are on the road it is a lot less expensive than most everyone thinks, for the last year on the road i budgeted $55 a day for everything but only spent $47, that's $17,155 for a year, others have done it for less and others for more...but not that expensive, the most expensive part normally is the riding, so if you are running short find a good place and settle in for a while and you will save money - by that i mean you will spend less than your budget because you are not buying gas, but all your other expenses are the same

so i guess the moral of the story is DON'T wait, DON'T let that life changing thing be the reason you go out there...let the adventure be your life changer, and it will
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #885
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
...let the adventure be your life changer, and it will
Great, just great. Enjoy the hell out of your life brother, You're enriching ours with the RR and I'm sure you'll inspire more than a few of us to ride off in the sunset one day. Slainte!!
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote