User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #31
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Catching Up.

Have now been basking in the great hospitality of my Brother Mike company in Paris Ontario for the past week. Having a garage to tend to the MG’s needs has been a Godsend. And the woes and misgivings I have had are truly at an end. As I was made aware of when I bought the bike, and accepted by the way, service for these babies, at least in the northland and central plains of the US can vary between little to none.
Consulting the Google God when the rear tire was well on its way out brought me to a dealer in Manitowoc, a Harley dealer, only to be told they were no longer an MG dealer. They did the tire for me however and, as I headed for Ontario I zeroed in on the only Southern Ontario dealer, Two Wheels of Guelph. Being a mile or two out of town and with nothing around to keep me entertained for the day I came up with a strategy that would work for both of us. I would purchase the fluids and filters and to the valves and fluids myself and drop the bike back in for an hour for a sync and TPS adjustment. Unfortunately even they did not have enough of the indicated 60 weight oil so I took 1 ½ ltrs. Of 60 and 2 of 40. I am sure I’ll be fine in this cooler climate till my next service.
Doing the valves had me kicking myself as I found them gapless (for how many miles now?) and the probable cause of most of the bikes problems. With that and the sync the bike was born again! Hallelujah, Brother. I am somewhat lucky I opted for the mirror/signal replacement kit to be delivered to Bro’s as I lost the right lens back in the States and the whole left mirror fell apart on my way to the throttle sync.

Never could see out of those mirrors anyways and the replacements are rock solid.

All in all, Big Girl is a much happier gal now and so am I.
And before I move on mid week I have three things to complete. One is get the Garmin replacement from GPS City. Casing on mine cracked so they are sending me a new one. Two, run up to Kitchener and pick up my updated passport and, three go see my parents resting place and pay my respects. And that reminds me of a bit of sadness involved with this trip. Having not seen any of my childhood friends in at least twenty years I decided to Google some names and see who I could find. One of my best friends whom I had lost touch with, Robb popped right up as an obituary. I was shocked and saddened to learn that he had passed almost a year ago from cancer. It seems a lot of my friends were raised on cigarettes and more than a few never kicked it. Damn it, Robb. You could have lived a good twenty years longer. He was a good friend and I will miss him.
So, around Wednesday I will head back up to my Bro’s cottage, sit out the Labour Day weekend and then carry on to the North East.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #32
ultrasardine
Sooo many meters!

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
By 1:30 my gauges were showing this.

Don't know what that is in Fahrenheit but after soaking myself with water a few times I pulled into a fleabag hotel with good AC to wait out the day.
Wow, that's hot. In the imperial system it's about 102. Keep those pics comming

p.s. - Love the Stelvio
ultrasardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 AM   #33
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Filling in the gaps. Across Superior to Manitowoc had a lot of these places to stop at.

One of the biggest things I missed living on the west coast was eating good fresh water fish. Hope to get my fill while I am here.
The Guzzi dealer at Manitowoc turned out to be a Harley dealer who had cancelled their MG dealership a while back but they were able to do the tire for me. Ended up having to wait to take this guy

and opted for a 1 AM sailing as that would get me headed for Ontario at 7 in the morn. Apparently Manitowoc was well known for building subs for WW2 with this one on display

and plaques honouring the many others that left these waters for probably mainly the Pacific.

The sail across was calm and uneventful with the new day and clear skies greeting me.

I was able to hit Sarnia by noon and started working my way up towards Sauble Beach by the days end. Spent some great summers of my youth there and I just wanted to see how much it had changed.

Not much really except the prices for the same old crappy motels were off the wall. I kept going. Owen Sound provided me with good cheap accommodation for the night.
Two changes were very apparent to me.

A whole lotta these everywhere and a whole lot MORE of these everywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised if these is an act in Parliament to change Ontario's name to Timtario.

Brother Mike was up at the cottage he built about a half mile upstream from the family cottage of my early childhood on the Severn River

So I ambled on up there. I really hadn't been in the area since I was 10 years old but it was amazing how those beried memories came flooding back.
Mike's cottage

And gettin reacquainted

Couple of days there and it was down to his place in Paris (not France, not Texas.) Till now.
Hope to head back to the cottage tomorrow (still gotta catch and eat some Bass) and then after Labour day, on to the east coast.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #34
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Hey Toad
I can relate to the nostalgia of heading back to the home turf. Sorry to hear about your childhood friends. Great that you are reconnecting with your Brother. Had a great HU meeting in Nakusp: over 200 RTW, including an Aussie couple that has been on the road for 15 years. Currently in Victoria at your second favourite shop getting new shoes, pads, fluids and gearing up for southern climes. Vaya con Dios Amigo
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #35
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Anything I can do to talk you out of heading to that burning Hell you call the Baha, yet? Man, u are gonna roast! Guess you'll just have to consume a lot of the world most interesting man's beer to "Stay frosty, my friend."
Old 09-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #36
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Saying Goodby to Bro and Hello to Quebec.

I waited waaay too long for a replacement GPS at my brother's. The new Nuvi 550 had developed a small crack in the case and in Wisconsin I sent it back. Now, there's a story..
GPS City agreed to replace it. When I mailed it, US Postal said I could not package it with the battery in the device so I dutifully removed it and sent it back in the same mailing envelope. Deal was to send it to my brother's. Got to Bro's a couple of days later and no notification of them having received it yet. They got it after that weekend and Fedexed it to the wrong address. Finally got that straightened out and it showed up, sans battery. Doh! Phone call has them asking if I sent it back with the battery. Obviously the dope threw it out with the packaging. So, out comes a battery. Meanwhile Bro and Missus have headed back to the cottage and I'm left feeding the cats! Lot of cats! Meeeeeeoooow! The battery shows up and the unit works but won't take a charge from wall socket, pooter or bike.(Sound of hair being pulled out.) More contact and an Express RMA label sent to me for Fedex.
Back it goes. Long weekend approaches. " Got it yet? No? you said 'overnight!' Fedex says Express, two days." (Runs for ulcer pills.) Bro suggeests I come to the cottage and hhe will send it on to nearest Fedex. Good plan, I'm gone.
Left Bro's little patch of Paradise in Paris (not France, Texas or New York)

and came back to his 10 acre patch of Paradise.

Stayed thru the long weekend, altho a busy non stop boat parade, still made me not want to leave.
Went to the neighbors for a fish fry.

Being a west coaster for so long, an old old memory I had was the great taste of fresh water fish. My prayers were answered in spades. These guys served up Smallmouth, Crappie and Channel Cats. Especially the Cats. Soooo good! From feeding cats to eating cats. Things were looking up.
We took the obligatory tour to Big Chute, the marine railway, on Sunday.

Big ol machinery in there

And the boats go for a ride.

Took a pic of my sister's hippie houseboat

When I left for the east I fired up the Drift camera and snapped a good 50 pics winding the great roads thru the Muskokas to 11 North. Unfortunately the Drift put out totally blurry pic. Totally useless. Another fine product on its way back. So, no pics between this point and Quebec.
From the motel in Deep River another call to GPS City had them saying there were no more 515s in stock. (Shooting bullets thru the phone). They agreed to refund my money and I would go into Ottawa and pick up one at a store. Which I did. Of course, some of you locals might have heard of the big sinkhole that swallowed a car on the freeway very close to the store. I was there! It was hot stuck in that traffic but I got the unit.
So a couple of days later I am thru and past Quebec City and reaching the good stuff. A big hill ahead was the only sign of what was ahead, a surprisingly beautiful ride along the St. Lawrence.

The hills wind up, around, down into and out of these great locations.

After these scenic locations, I stopped in La Malbaie for the night.
And, low and behold. There's a message in my email. "Your Nuvi 550 has been shipped." Waaaaaat?
On the phone again. The guy who said he would refund says he's pissed too. I can only imagine. He says he's going to send a Fedex return label to my Brother and I say, no way. Get on the phone to Fedex and have them turn it around. And refund my money dammit!. "oh. Ya. We could do that." The saga continues.
So, to anyone who watches the weather, all that moisture has moved right up into my region. Thunder and lightning and rain this morn. And the motel has no vacancies for tonight. So I am forced to step out into it for Baie Comeau. Hope I can find a vacancy up there somewhere.
Wet day today.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #37
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Wet, wet wet.

Wow. My Oly gear got the torture test today. And passed. Had all three layers on. Temp got down to a cool 14C. But I was comfy. My boots are summer boots and not waterproof. Got around that with Seal socks I bought at a fish and game store. Completely waterproof but I could feel the water gooshin around in the boots. Even Big Girl was comfy. I'm thinkin she might even like this cool wet stuff. Never got a squeak out of her. Just the usual growl. I got knocked around by some wind but she hardly budged. Steady as a rock.
Wasn't a long ride today. Only about 350kms. But that was enough with what was going on outside. And, as I head towards the Maritimes, they are saying some Hurricanes are coming up to meet me? I feel so honored.
Got a couple of shots off but it was an ordeal to pull over, fish the camera out and shoot.

Took a ferry across a Fjord.

Saw some more cool seascapes

Gotta come back here when it's not raining.
Am now sitting it out in Baie Comeau where, tomorrow morning I will ride up the coast for another half hour to catch the Godbout ferry at noon for Matane and then up to Gaspe'.
And before I go there was this thing.

Heard about them before I left and looked for it all across the States till I found one at Guelph, Ontario. About twenty buck and they work great. And since the failure of my Drift HD camera it has allowed me to fall back on the old Cannon Powershot SD790IS for riding and taking pics. Why didn't I think of that thing? So simple.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #38
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Gaspe

Gotta say, Gaspe has been a trip. Unexpectedly longer than I thought but one beautiful ride. Interesting how, going from west to east, the almost completely French speaking people ease back into English as I near New Brunswick. It's been a bit of a challenge for me but not a big one as these great people have been very forgiving to my highschool dropout French. I was hoping for better deals on what should be fall rates on motels but I guess if you want that ocean view, ya gotta pay. Could have camped last night but with this news making weather picture going on out there, it got real nippy again. Even tho I am outside the big hurricane picture and have complete clear skies, it apparently is sucking down this chilly arctic stuff with said results.
Got on the ferry across the big bay by noon and had a great ride over to Matain.

Met these guys on the crossing

They were up from Montreal and Toronto and, being English Canadian, they opened up the babble reflex in me. Were real interested in the Stelvio and it's price which beats the 1200 GS hands down. I may have just set the hook into a couple more perspective MG owners. Matter of fact a dude in a Tim's parking lot came up to me and quizzed me on the bike. He could have been my eastern twin. Just retiring carpenter, looking into a 1200GSA to travel and scared away by its almost $30000 outfitted pricetag.
A long enjoyable ride for a few more hours got me to within 120kms of the town of Gaspe and more cabins by the sea.

Rolled thru Gaspe next morning with clear skies abounding.

Pirates were here!

A familiar landmark appeared

The Pierce rock which is truly spectacular

You've prolly seen this cloudline thru most of my pics lately

That's the edge of the storm that is devistating the regions that I happen to be heading for. I can only hope it keeps moving away.
Clear skies at last night's stay

And on an unusual sightings footnote, and even tho I have not seen any whales of the known form, I did see this.

Walruses? No, even more bizarre

Nuns!
The flying Nuns have landed! And they are swimming! Who says there's no evolution?

The Motel was hosting a group of God's Ladies and they proceeded to amaze me by going for a good half hour dip. Closest thing to a miracle I've ever seen! I mean, those weren't wetsuits they were wearing.
More power to em, I say.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #39
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
hello Doug

I caught up on the ride report. Nice pictures and great reading . It was nice to meet you in PEI. I hope your trip is going well and the "big girl" is running fine. Ride safe and I look forward to the rest of your ride report.
All the best.

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #40
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

It was great meeting you, Andrew. Hope you had a safe ride home.
Ran into some of your buds down the road a piece.

Harvest time!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:04 AM   #41
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Thru The Maritimes

Trouble with doing these ride reports is the farther out in the Boonies you get, the worse (most times) the wifi is. And when you are camping, availability is even less. Oddly, one site in PEI had me sitting at my picnic table connected. Unfortunately, the skitters shut that operation down pretty quick.
But since the aquatic wildlife sighting here's a quick update.
Leaving the Gaspe' I crossed the bridge into New Brunswick.

The ride down to this bridge had the inlet thinning and thinning for what seemed an eternity till I finally crossed to start the widening process up the other side. Exemplary weather and great shoreline roads made for very enjoyable riding.
I can't say what park it was that I came across this gal and her buddies hard at work because I have been sworn to secrecy.

Had to laugh because I had the Itunes on, and random selections at that and just after I went past Eric Clapton came up with one of his more obscure tunes, Let It Grow.
Took the big bridge over to PEI

and proceeded to ride the island. I now know it takes a full day to do PEI. I figured every photo that needs to be takenn of this place has already been done so I'll leave most out. One this that caught my eye was this display.

Had an opportunity to go for a ride in one of these babies way back about a hundred years ago when I was an air cadet and the memories came flooding back.
Impressive sunsets there.

Great campsite

Where I met and had good talks with Andrew (Antennas)

Then it was on to here

I mean what can I say about this place that has not already been said?

Spectacular!

Best in the East, I'd have to say.
Then, enjoying the shit out of myself, it was coming down to the eastern side at this point

that Big Girl decided to play with my head. Don't know if she was just getting a little jealous (remember, hot blooded Italian here) or she was just playing with me but I looked down at the gauge readout to see a bright red warning triangle and a big SERVICE written across the readout. I slowed down and thought OMG, not here! I mean, service? You've got to be kidding! Oddly, after five minutes, the warning went away. She proceeded to run fine and that was that. I checked the manual and a reference to this warning said, more or less, don't worry about it. Italians!
Camping up high with a great view.

And then leaving the Cabot Trail behind

Sniff.
Some great coastal riding took me to Louisbourg and life among the RVs

Lovely little tourist spot

But campers be warned. Even tho it really wasn't that cold, the moisture and dew off the water had me with even my nose covered to keep warm. Staying away from waters edge in northern climes is a lesson learned for me. Down south, I'll probably love it.
The next day had me riding some incredibly bumpy roads

I mean, the cracks in this road had grass growing out of them! To the ferry crossing where the road improved to Sherbrook where I holed up for the night. Today it is on to Halifax where I hope to meet my friend Peter, from BC who is here on business.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #42
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,930
I'm enjoying this! Happy trails
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #43
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Halifax

Several days here now. I must have pleased the Gods somehow because when I was up in Cape Breton I got an email from my best friend who said he was in Halifax on business. Turns out he was asked to stay for a month on business to do with the cruise ships. Also turns out he was holed up in the Westin Nova Scotia with an extra bed.
We met that day after he finished work and just before it started to rain.

Impending weather
I got settled into tthe rain and have been waiting out the deluge that only got worse and worse.

But now with what looks to be a break coming I am set to carry on tomorrow over to the Digby ferry and on to New Brunswick and Maine.
This was this mornings' weather pic.

And this is one of the boats coming in that Peter's company deals with.

Yesterday was quite a little jaunt in the car to find an old and long lost friend from 30 years ago.
Paul is a leather worker who settled out here in the middle of nowhere (which has always been just fine with him) to enjoy life and ply his trade.

He'd be the elder of us on the right and still maintains the same character and wit that we knew so many years ago. A good friend. And, as for Peter? Still my rock solid friend and always will be.
Just noon here now and Godalmighty, if the sun hasn't peeked out. And a good 23 degrees C. at that. Let's hope it's a trend.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #44
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
Toad, love reading about your trip. Glad to see you got the issues with the Guzzi sorted, as I was beginning to wonder about the brand. Have you heard of any other Stelvios having their mirrors fall apart? I hope that Guzzi stands behind you on that issue.
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #45
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 634
Great photos........

What a great RR for sure! I'm going to add this one to my bookmarks for future viewing. In the meantime, I'm going to just dream my way to that part of the country. It's beautiful there. Thanks for taking the time for it....

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote