User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
XR and KLR go WALK ABOUT

Saturday. Sept 29th. 2012. 4.30am. ( just south of Brisbane )

Finally rode up the driveway on the way to Melbourne with the words still ringing in my ears " watch out for emu & roo" I had ridden just 150m when a blur filled my visor. 2 wallabys at light speed decided that the other side of the road was better pickings. I missed the younger one by 2m.. shit. that was the last thing on my mind.

I was riding my '10 model KLR650 to Melbourne to meet my son ,Michael. He had bought an older XR600 Honda, quite a bit of work had been done on the engine, new tyres fitted and he had played with the gearing to get a more suitable rev range for the trip. A large capacity tank was also installed.

We planned to head up to Mungo Nat. Park & then up to Camerons Corner via Sturts Depot Glen. returning to Brisbane via Innamincka.

All was going well till I got a wet arse 15km nth of Moree.

I had intended to stop around Parkes or West Wyalong with about 1000km up so I'd have an easy 700km into Melb.the next day. But I'm not keen on WW and the riding conditions were improving as evening approached. There was very little road kill & I decided to push on.

Riding conditions were great but as I approached the Vic border it became very cold. Finally, I arrived in Melbourne at 3.00 am and got lost. After asking a cab driver and confirming directions with a couple of hippies in a VW kombie I found my way to Bayswater an hour later. Michael thought I looked like I was dead, I had just completed my longest day * with 1744km in 23 1/2 hrs. and felt that way as well. (*see 1000miles 24hours second time round)

We planned to depart 2 days later & after a visit to the docs for some antibioticsI I was feeling alive again.

Ready to go.

Tuesday. We had a 600KM day ahead to Mildura. All going well with a coffee stop at Castlemaine. Both bikes running sweet. On arrival at the caravan park a group of country & western music lovers invited us over to help them finish off a huge BBQ. One of the guys was presented with a Birthday cake. unbeknown to him, was made of foam rubber & he could not cut it. We all had a great laugh.

Foam rubber cake.

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 03:11 AM Reason: addition info
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,160
wheres the head?
marlboroughlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Yep, impressive stuff Fogo, must be that custom made bash plate you have... I've often thought what the result would be. Guess it depends on the angle they hit the bike or front wheel...
Old 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Wednesday. We packed up & headed for Maccas. As we did not know what areas we were to explore once at the Walls of China ( Mungo Nat Pk) and if we could get fuel at Pooncarrie on the return we took on maximum 72ltrs combined for both bikes. The road had sand in patches and was generally good. but not as good as the water.

On arrival we inspected the camping grounds, the historic wool shed and the visitors centre.

This area is unique.The lake dried up 20000yrs ago. Now the weather uncovers things like 45000yr old, 500kg Wombats . ( Zygomaturus) the size of a Bull.

more recent wombat jaw

and 20000 to 40000yr old camp fires.

unknown. baby gaint roo!

And of course 40000yr old Mungo Man & Woman. ( oldest ! cerimonial burial )

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 04:25 PM Reason: spelling
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

In the afternoon we headed out to the Walls of China on a tour . the landscape is really special. we were shown fish bones and emu egg shell from fires who know how old. ( the fish hadn't been there for 20000yrs..) Most impressive.

[IMG]

With complusory water bottles

Old 10-30-2012, 04:11 AM   #6
sibyib
Bumbles bounce

Oddometer: 12
In

I'm in for sure Canadian winter will be here soon so riding is replaced by reading and dreaming of the next ADVenture. One or Two more rides before snow and ice I hope.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Thursday. We had decided not to ride the 70km circuit around the Walls. It was very hot & with the riding gear on stopping was a pain. And the tour the previous day had answered most of our questions so we headed west back to Pooncarrie. Occassionally loose deep sand would cover the road. We swapped bikes every 100 / 150km and what a difference.

This is where the XR really shined. It had been bored to 638cc. 38 mm carb fitted & after market pipe. Engine responce was really sharpe. It was much lighter than the KLR and was much more stable in the sand. Speeds varied up to 100kph.

Even with the heavy back pack I'd rather be on the XR on the dirt.

We arrived at Pooncarrie at about 9.30. A nice little town. I think all their spare time was spent making "closed" signs. as NOTHING was open. We ate an apple & headed for Menindee.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #8
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Just before we got to Menindee, we came across a tree full of dead foxes. I counted 17. Someone out this way is on a mission. We didn't hang around.

Menindee was used by Burke & Wills as a depot before pushing on to Coopers Creek. An fully kitted out wheel barrow stopped us at the info. centre

A quick bite to eat & we were off to Broken Hill. We had a couple of hours to spare so we rode out to a wild little town called Silverton. Some crazy sites out there.

The Pub

Donkeys in the main Street.

Mad Max mad.

Crazy VW

Plenty of ruins

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:28 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 580
The last of the V8 Interceptors... a piece of history!

Is this the actual car from the Road Warrior movie?

Would've been a shame to blow it up.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
BamaTexRider
MOTO-MIKE

Oddometer: 42
XRs Rock, Happy Trails
BamaTexRider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I think I'll drop in for a stroll with you two. Lead on.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #12
Hondamick
C'mon more Energy

Oddometer: 14
The first day for me was a killer. Not being a seasoned adventure rider after doing the first day Melbourne to Mildura 600ks felt like I had shared a gaol cell with Bubba.
After Dads Brisbane to Melbourne run in less than a day I didnt have anything to complain about.

Silverton was a strange little town but not half as strange as the transvestite that had Dad and I bailed up at the local sandwich bar in Broken Hill.
Hondamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Hey Edmond.. no this is not the actual car. ( It would be criminal to leave it out in the weather) there is a museum / pub in town with all sorts of film pics/ info/ equipment. But we didn't have the time to explore all of these. Not sure where the original is kept.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #14
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Friday.. Michael has just reminded me of the "strange" conversations we had in town but that is what these trip are about.

Local artist Pro Hart Rolls.

The bikes were running well, although we did have concerns about the XR chain. It was near new but not of high quality. We did a quick rotate of the G/box sprocket to get a little more clearance and bought another conlink as a spare ( in addition to our other spares) We knew any bike trouble from here on would be difficult to fix.

We headed north up the Silver City H'way. Road surface changed every 30 /50km bitumen to dirt. This made the riding much more interesting with many changes of pace.

The country was changing & it was not hard to imagine the Mad Max movies being filmed here.

The temperature was rising and a bit of shade appreciated

Pack Saddle pub
[IMG]

Ian Robinson screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 07:05 PM
Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

I am very interested in the early Australian explorers. we were now heading north to the site were Sturt and his men were stranded in 1845 for 6mths. There was a good supply of water at "Depot Glen" but the expedition could not go f/wd or back as there was no water to support travel.

This is truely a beautiful place. I personally find it hard to believe I can ride to these sites and 'feel' the history. we were watched by some wild goats.

James Poole, second in command, unfortunatly didn't make it .

This sign shows how determined Sturt was to 'hold ground'