Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #91
superfunkomatic
Funky Monkey Trunk

Oddometer: 94
Another exciting and interesting adventure. I've really enjoyed reading your ride reports (this one and the previous epic journey). Sorry about the bike issues. I've had a bike failure mid-trip before and it's quite humbling and quite aggravating to have to take the journey on a flatbed tow truck.

Super pics. This gives me some ideas for future adventures into BC. Thanks for sharing!
superfunkomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:13 AM   #92
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Thanks for the ride report, great photo's some "real" adventure and problems with a bike. You had it all.

Cheers from downunder...
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #93
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I enjoy keeping up with your ride reports, but you guys seem to have a lot of trouble from the BMW's and dealerships.
Next time buy 3 used KLR's and you will have 2 parts bikes, or 2 bikes to ride with 2 new friends, and money left for another South American trip.

The BMW dealer here in OKC closed. So it's a trip to Tulsa or Dallas for service. We went on a dinner run last Thursday out of town, at one of the refreshment stops, the 2 Beemer guys (F800GS/ GS1200) were bad mouthing the Tulsa dealership. Same kind of comments I heard about the OKC dealership. The F800 guy was bitch'n about the recalls. Didn't want to trailer it to Dallas but didn't want to let the Tulsa store work on his bike.

The OKC BMW dealership had an attitude toward anyone pulling up to their shop on non BMW bikes. I should say that was my experience at the OKC shop. Might be why they are no longer in business. The day I went out to buy a Gold Wing I was treated with the same attitude at Maxie's Honda. From there I went to BMW OKC. I very well could have been driving BMW but NOT with their nose so high in the air they couldn't see me. Left there and went to OK Honda. Great sales guy. He suggested before I ride the Gold Wing I should test the VTX1800 and see what I thought. I drove away on a shiny new Midnight Black VTX1800.
BMW needs to wake up and take care of their customers. Get rid of the attitude. Don't judge the customer by the bike they ride in on. Yes, I was riding a junky bike, that's why I was at your store Einstein.

The only way you can kill a KLR is to :
1 Don't change the oil
2 Crash them
3 Let it get stolen
I also find it really disappointing the way a lot of dealers treat people these days. My dad had one of the new KLRs before he bought a F8GS. I rode it a few times and enjoyed it. I do like the extra power and overall swankiness of the Beemer. I'm a total sucker I guess.

I wish we didn't have as many problems as we've had but the main thing is that most of the time we are enjoying ourselves
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #94
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
Thanks for the ride report, great photo's some "real" adventure and problems with a bike. You had it all.

Cheers from downunder...
We are all about the complete experience
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #95
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelo5sur View Post
I followed your ride from Canada to Argentina, and following this one too.
As usual, amazing mix of pictures.
Thanks again for sharing.
Gracias Chelo! we had a great time riding in Chile (especially up in the Andes in the north and the southern part of the country)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfunkomatic View Post
Another exciting and interesting adventure. I've really enjoyed reading your ride reports (this one and the previous epic journey). Sorry about the bike issues. I've had a bike failure mid-trip before and it's quite humbling and quite aggravating to have to take the journey on a flatbed tow truck.

Super pics. This gives me some ideas for future adventures into BC. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah, we could have done without the towing truck
betitolara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #96
Trondomatic
To infinity and beyond...

Oddometer: 112
Great ride report and sweet pics. Thanks for sharing.

My wife and I also traveled through South America (in a cage) and reached the same conclusion - BC is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I can't wait to explore more. Thanks for the inspiration.
Trondomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #97
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trondomatic View Post
Great ride report and sweet pics. Thanks for sharing.

My wife and I also traveled through South America (in a cage) and reached the same conclusion - BC is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I can't wait to explore more. Thanks for the inspiration.
BC has so much to offer! and the different seasons offer a variety of fun outdoor activities to keep you entertained year-round IMHO

Thanks for 'stopping by'
Old 09-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #98
NellieDriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Your RR

Thanks for your intriguing ride report and wonderful pics. I regret your misfortune on the rear wheel. It is a very well known problem of the F8GS due to the cruel quality of the chinese bearings. I had the same problem at my F8GS at only about 25000 km. But unfortunately it was not at the end of a travel and near my home. The french BMW dealer was not willing to repair it in one or two days and said "...minimum one week or more...". I was cranky about that and my holidays were over.
My local dealer repaired it into a very short time and he cared that BMW Germany tooke the costs of the repair (goodwill).
Yes, it is a real problem with the low quality of the new beemer bikes, especially for us older drivers, which we had used to the high quality level of the older bikes (par ex. R 100 GS).
But where is the real alternative? All new traveller enduros like Triump Tiger, Yam Super Tenere, all italians and what else can`t convince me. The 1-cyl. Kawa KLR is not powerful enoug. The KTM 2-cyl. are too big and too thirsty and the nono-cylinder 690 is unfortuntely not sold as Adventure version with big fuel tank...
So, what can do?
I hope you will have a great seasonend and some beautiful rides before the winter comes.
Greets from Germany.
Nelliedriver
NellieDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #99
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,171
Great trip, love your neck of the woods - beautiful.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #100
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellieDriver View Post
Thanks for your intriguing ride report and wonderful pics. I regret your misfortune on the rear wheel. It is a very well known problem of the F8GS due to the cruel quality of the chinese bearings. I had the same problem at my F8GS at only about 25000 km. But unfortunately it was not at the end of a travel and near my home. The french BMW dealer was not willing to repair it in one or two days and said "...minimum one week or more...". I was cranky about that and my holidays were over.
My local dealer repaired it into a very short time and he cared that BMW Germany tooke the costs of the repair (goodwill).
Yes, it is a real problem with the low quality of the new beemer bikes, especially for us older drivers, which we had used to the high quality level of the older bikes (par ex. R 100 GS).
But where is the real alternative? All new traveller enduros like Triump Tiger, Yam Super Tenere, all italians and what else can`t convince me. The 1-cyl. Kawa KLR is not powerful enoug. The KTM 2-cyl. are too big and too thirsty and the nono-cylinder 690 is unfortuntely not sold as Adventure version with big fuel tank...
So, what can do?
I hope you will have a great seasonend and some beautiful rides before the winter comes.
Greets from Germany.
Nelliedriver
While it's true that there is no perfect bike and that all bikes can potentially fail, we have had way too many issues with our F8GS. Now my stearing/head bearings are done ... it's almost embarrassing to share with you about all the failures we're getting. Keep in mind that our bikes have been ridden primarily on dirt (of course some pavement too) so we have been actually been using them for what they were 'built for': adventure. Most GS owners very rarely take their bikes off-road and many of them tell me: 'I've never had any issues with my GS' ... well... your GS have been lady-driven and not really tested, I think ... but don't say it out loud

Anyway, enough of my rant! my next bike will be a simple, lighter, smaller DRz400 or something along those lines. Still lots of fun, proven reliability and cheap to fix if needed.

Great to hear from ADVers from faraway countries like you in Deutschland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Great trip, love your neck of the woods - beautiful.
we just came back from another SUPER FUN ride here in BC. I posted some photos on this thread 2012 BCBATR (towards the bottom and on the next pages)

betitolara screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 07:35 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #101
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
you beat the crap out of your bikes
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #102
betitolara OP
ADV rider wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
you beat the crap out of your bikes
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #103
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Great ride report, and brought back memories from 1962. We stayed at Nimpo lake in a cabin and took a day trip to Bella Coola. I was only 6 so I don't remember a lot, but the road into Bella Coola was pretty hairy it seems like. Now, I want to go back.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #104
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by betitolara View Post
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #105
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 369
Great write up. Really enjoyed it. Trying to figure out how to get there from here without taking a leave of absence from work.

Comments on the BMW dealers: Last fall on the way home from a nice two-up run through the mountains I rode into the local Sandia BMW dealer on my Triumph Sprint. They were instantly super friendly and I ended up taking a spin, two-up, on a GS1200 and then a GSA. Loved both bikes, didn't care for the price of entry. No snobbery whatsoever but they did want to know if they should call up PJ (local Triumph/Ducati dealer) to get a trade in price for me. I didn't bite but the entire experience was very pleasant. Interesting to hear that not all BMW dealers are like this. I ended up buying a 2002 KLR with 20,000 miles on it. I've used it as a learning tool that I have worked on, broke lots of stuff, fixed it, rode it, and rode it some more. Over 7,000 miles on it this summer exploreing NM, CO, and UT. I love the KLR. Works fine even at 12,000 feet. Can't image all the power it's going to have I ever get it below 5,000 feet

Comments on gear: Are those standard Pelican cases? I use Pelican cases at work to transport spectrometers and the like but all our boxes are big, bulky, and open to the sides. I didn't know they came in cool designs and opened on the top. Might have to look into those again. - Never mind; read your blog - good information there. Thanks for taking the time to write up all the information. It's nice to have it in one place.

Camping food: I saw oatmeal. What else did you guys eat? We ate mostly just-add-water soups all summer. Looking for new ideas. - Again, never mind. It sounds like you are pretty much OK with getting dull uninteresting calories when moto-camping. So be it.

gregdee screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 05:50 AM Reason: Found answers myself....
gregdee is online now   Reply With Quote