User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,205
I hate mice!!!

In our case, we used to free feed the dogs in the garage and the mice would take the kibble and stash it away for later use. The first picture is the air box in my wife's Jeep and the other is the intake of the fuel injection in her F650. It explained some performance issues those two vehicles had...

We stopped free feeding in the garage and used moth balls as mentioned above and have not had any problems since.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
Porkchop316 OP
Patent pending

Oddometer: 162
Great input. Thanks all. I think I will keep on setting my snap traps. May try the glue traps, too but not looking forward to dealing with the still alive specimen. May try some moth balls in foil attached up under the hood. Perhaps these could stay in place and I would not need to set it each night.

As for owls, I have seen both an owl and a hawk in the immediate area. I take this as good news/bad news. I'm glad they are there but it must mean the rats are too.

I have used poison packets in the past at my previous home. After finding the packets dragged around the yard I realized it was too much of a hazard for other animals, including the pets.

Feel free to keep the ideas rolling in. I will report back with any news.
Porkchop316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,487
That's what I bait the snap traps with....dog food. Drill a little hole in the kibble and tie it to the trap with a twist tie. Then I don't have to rebait too often.

Don't know if you have bigger carnivores there, but they kept dragging my traps away to get the mice, so now the traps are tied down. Coyotes I think from the poop I find around.

Snap traps, work much better if you stick them in a piece of stove pipe, takes me less than a night to get the packrat when I find out there is one around.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,647
With glue traps, just toss it in a bucket of water, remove the critter and reuse the trap.

Do not let a dog paw get in one. My Boxer made a mess of herself with one.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,550
rats!

my last corvette was laid/up in the garage for several months while i had my back fused.rats did around 1,000.00 damage to the wiring.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
Just a tidbit of data.

Dog food tends to have loads of Vitamin K... Which happens to be the antidote for rat poison, which usually causes bleeding when consumed in any quantity.

So when you have bunches of dog food around, Rats/Mice Won't die from common poisons.

Good to know.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
redirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
$2800 in new wiring for a 2012 Prius after rats chewed on some wires. Rat's nest in the truck (1995 toyota) airbox after 2 weeks, the tunnel is exactly the right size for a brown rat to cruise thru..
We've used electric traps with success (easy to clean), use rat repellent (predator scent stuff) and I keep the vehicles as far as possible from any food source. Make sure there's no food inside the vehicle, I try to not eat inside my cars for that exact reason. I hate those fucking rats
redirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #23
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I use some poison bait called Enforcer,it comes in little blocks. You make a base out of wood with a finish nail in the center and stack a couple on it. It forces them to eat the bait at the station and not take it away to store it. They also told me it works faster if you put some water "bowls" near the bait station. I hide them around the barn and garage and refill as needed. They smell sweet to me and to my bird dog,so I make sure to get them under/behind something so she can't get to them,just in case she would get out of the kennel. I haven't had any damage since using,but sometimes find droppings here and there, usually when the weather changes.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
My father in law actually took the time to build a four wire electric fence around his supra when it was in storage. Funniest thing I have ever seen, it did work though, no mice in his car and no moth ball smell. I guess he actually found a couple of dead mice.
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #25
CrustyAPO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
When i was working for a dry food warehouse they used something like this... http://www.victorpest.com/store/mous...rol/glue-traps
I was working for a contractor in the local Meals on Wheels distribution center. We were tearing up old gymnasium flooring to put in a new cooler, and the company wanted the old flooring saved. So we used the freight elevator to take it up to the third floor and store it over in an empty corner. When the elevator door opened, you could see the rats crawling all over the boxes of cookies and other foodstuff on the pallets. When I get old, I am not eating anything from the Meals on Wheels people. Canned dog food for me please.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #26
redirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrulz View Post
My father in law actually took the time to build a four wire electric fence around his supra when it was in storage. Funniest thing I have ever seen, it did work though, no mice in his car and no moth ball smell. I guess he actually found a couple of dead mice.
That is awesome! I like my rats fried, they're easy to remove.
redirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #27
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,022
Snakes!
Old 07-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Careful with Poisons

I have the same problems too- rats and mice get into the RV and I can't seem to stop them either. They come from the barn and field and are relentless.

Poisons work the best- seems to thin them out and then the peanut butter traps do the rest in the RV.

Be careful with the poisons though- we had our cat eat a mouse that at the poison and, well, they both bit the dust. We got a heeler puppy and the dog has an affinity for catching mice. She has a new one at the barn every day, but we had to stop using the poisons.

Good Luck!
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #29
lifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I live in the woods also. I have not had a problem with rats but mice and chipmunks have been relentless. The first winter I stored my rv under a canopy behind the house I was getting 7 or 8 mice a week out of the rv with traps. The chipers were everywhere and did a lot of damage to things around the yard. I still use traps but I had to revert to poison to get them under control. I have been using poison now for 3 years. The first year I went through 15 lbs of poison. The second year I went through 5 lbs and now I use maybe 2 lbs a year. To keep my 8 lb yorki out of the poison I made a cage for it and put it under the rv on the ground. I took a 24x24 in. piece of plywood then screwed a spray paint lid to the middle of it to make a bowl for the poison. Then I took a mike crate and covered it with chichen wire and set that over the plywood with the bowl in the middle.. To keep the mike crate centered I used drywall screws in the plywood , 2 on each side of the mike crate and left them sticking up about 3/4 of an inch so the chippers could not drag the crate to one side. I finished this off by putting 2 landscape blocks on top of the mike crate so the racoons could not flip the mike crate off the top of the plywood.

This setup has worked well for me and now I can leave for 3 to 4 weeks at a time and there is ussually still some poison left when I get back. This past winter I did not get one mouse in my traps that I have set inside the rv. I do not even hear a chipper now when I go out in the back yard. I will warn you that if you do not use poison for 3 months they will be back just as bad as before. Don't ask me how I know. I do not want them dieing inside the rv so that is why I put in on the ground under it and that has worked well for me. Good luck
lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #30
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,378
led flashing light

My ACE hardware store is selling rat proof LED lighting that is
under the hood. Flashes every 3 seconds. Rats like darkness and the
flashing light will drive them crazy. I'm getting 10 for my cars and motorcycles.

I will get a picture of one in the morning.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote