Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #331
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
Hi Gene,

thanks for the nice words. We have the K7 model, very very old but the first year they were produced with ABS as well. And to be honest we very glad that we have the ABS. For such a big bike (and such a bad rider like me) I wouldn't want to be without ABS.

I only owned 2 bikes in my life both with ABS: a SV650 which I sold and bought a DL650, once I got a wife which liked to travel on bike as well So my opinion might biased
Thanks so much for answering my ABS question. I started riding on dirt back in 1975 and then I bought my first street bike towards the end of hight school in 1980. A suzuki GS425 (my dream bike for the time :-). I was going along on some wet pavement and jumped on the front brakes to hard going quite fast and the front end locked up. How I didn't go down is a frigin miracle. However, it did leave some brown stains in my pants :-). As many on this site, the bikes went away when I met my wife and had 3 kids. Jump Head 20 years. My son and I got into dirt riding when he was 15 and not so long after that I started riding street again. When I realized that they now made bikes with ABS I was thrilled!!!! So now I feel it is a must for me. The only problem is that it really limites your choice on bikes. That's why I went with the f650gs and the r1100gs. I just didn't "love" those bikes (although they are obviously great bikes). Went to the New York bike show this weekend and sat on the new Wee and it feels right on so many levels. So I will try to save for a 12 or find an older model with ABS. Sorry to ramble, just wanted to share what was behind my ABS question :-). Looking forward to your next installment!!!!!!!! Say hi to Andrea and Gunnar for me :-)

-gene
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #332
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneC View Post
Thanks so much for answering my ABS question. I started riding on dirt back in 1975 and then I bought my first street bike towards the end of hight school in 1980. A suzuki GS425 (my dream bike for the time :-). I was going along on some wet pavement and jumped on the front brakes to hard going quite fast and the front end locked up. How I didn't go down is a frigin miracle. However, it did leave some brown stains in my pants :-). As many on this site, the bikes went away when I met my wife and had 3 kids. Jump Head 20 years. My son and I got into dirt riding when he was 15 and not so long after that I started riding street again. When I realized that they now made bikes with ABS I was thrilled!!!! So now I feel it is a must for me. The only problem is that it really limites your choice on bikes. That's why I went with the f650gs and the r1100gs. I just didn't "love" those bikes (although they are obviously great bikes). Went to the New York bike show this weekend and sat on the new Wee and it feels right on so many levels. So I will try to save for a 12 or find an older model with ABS. Sorry to ramble, just wanted to share what was behind my ABS question :-). Looking forward to your next installment!!!!!!!! Say hi to Andrea and Gunnar for me :-)

-gene
Don't worry, I am happy to talk about the bike as well. Again I don't know much about the new model. What I do know from a friend that is traveling with us from time to time (the yellow 2012 model) is that it has a smaller tank. Other than that it seems a great bike.

If you go for an older model, try going for at least 2008 model which has greater alternator and better other things.

Good luck in finding the bike. I sure hope to be able to take mine back home once I finish the journey. It might be old, but we kind of bonded...

Alex
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #333
OldTriumphRider
Livin the Dream

Oddometer: 112
Just caught up on your R.R. after a week of reading every single word you write!!
I feel like I'm riding with the 2 of you , the pix and writing are superb!
It must take some awesome courage to set off on such a journey!
Thx for letting all of us come along , it must be a labor of love writing such a great R.R. and doing it in 2 languages..
If you ever come to east Tennessee , you have a place to stay , it would be an honor to have you guys !
I love your view on the things you see ...
OldTriumphRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #334
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Where the condors fly!: 1-3 January 2013
2013 came upon us with Peruvian fireworks. I felt that we have to speed up. One year ago, when all this was a just a drawing in our head, I was thinking that we will be in Ushuaia by December 2012 and in 2013 we will be already going up, heading home. Oh well, here´s the reality, January 1, 2013 Lima, Peru shaking hands with the Dakar 2013 competitors and wishing them good luck.
Ok, we accepted the fact that we will not take the 4th of February flight back home (as originally planned), -a sponsorship from a flight company would do as good right now- but at least we can make it to Ushuaia by the end of summer (end of February). It´s time to hit the road. We leave Lima on the 1st of January and move fast past the beaches full of people enjoying their vacation. There are more than full. There were buses full of people! Beaches were really crowded.
We are nostalgic about the beaches up North, so deserted and clean. One more day in the desert and that´s it, tomorrow we will be turning left into the mountains. To the Andes! We stop for now in an oasis, an unexpected but interesting experience.
Huacachina is now a very crowded touristic place but…. it was good for us also that it was listed in the guide of South America or else we would have passed it so we cannot complain. I go up the dunes and cannot help imagining how this place looked like before being discovered by the “travel agencies”. Or how there are many more undiscovered oases in Africa or Middle East, wondering how they are. Wondering if we would see those places someday. This I don´t know but I do expect to see T. E. Lawrence show up from the dunes!
Neither Lawrence nor other warriors can disturb our evening. So we enjoying peacefully this day´s dawn.
We meet Phill here and decide to ride together again. First stop, Nazca lines. The best way to see them is from the plane. But our budget doesn´t allow us to climb on a plane so we take the more “earthly” option:

A steel tower that you climb and from where you can see to of the Nazca lines, plus some weird lines. It´s not all of them but it´s good enough.
Interesting fact is that nobody knows for sure what was the purpose of these drawings (or who did them).
There are many theories, but “your guess is as good as any” as it read somewhere. We would rather not guess what were their purpose, we admire them one more time and then descend our steel tower.
We wave to our “more fortunate” friends wishing them to enjoy their flight and the views. No matter the purpose, to see the Nazca lines or not, flying is something I really enjoy!
And this is it, time to say goodbye to the desert. Ever since we crossed into Peru the mountains were always on our left side but we always kept our distance following the coastline. Now it´s finally time to turn left towards the Andes.
We are 600 km away from Cusco, the old capital of Inca empire. And we have almost 600 km of windy and alpine roads (or should I say “Andine”) that we take us up to over 4000 meters and down again, but not lower than 2900 meters, a giant roller coaster.
The road goes up really fast and we barely see anything around.
It´s just the beginning of the climb so we cannot perceive how high we will get. We stop to take pictures and realize we have trouble breathing without making any effort.
The vicuñas (wild relatives of the llamas) don´t seem to have troubles breathing, they run pretty fast as we are trying to get closer to them. It´s ok, there will be other opportunities. So far we are enjoying the well paved road (still, you have to notice that there is no shoulder)
Phill is behind us although I am sure he can ride much faster than us on these curves (he is a race pilot).
But why hurry when you can enjoy these views?
You might have noticed something new for Peru in the picture above: clouds! We forget about rain, it was just a memory from Ecuador, somewhere around Christmas. I could say we didn´t see rain since last year… But now we are in the mountains and we are in the middle of rainy season.
How come? We planned this trip so that we could follow the summer from North to South. Yes, this might be a good thing in most of the countries but apparently in Peru and Bolivia summer means rainy season. And when you are over 3500-4000 meters, rain can be more than just water (hail, snow…). So we have to pay more attention to the clouds in front.
So far rain doesn´t stay in our way, we get a few warning drops and then we can further enjoy the spectacular views. We cross a mountain pass (Phill´s GPS says 4560 m) and things turn green. In a good way…
Andreea´s riding jacket cannot protect her from the wind she is wearing her rain jacket for some time now. I am still trying to fool myself that I am protected by the (nonexistent) insulation of my riding suit, obviously created for way warmer climates.
We pass through villages and more isolated households.
And we meet people at the same time.
Quechua. No, not the Decathlon brand but descendants of the Incas. Actually, we were to discover later on that Incas was not their proper name. Back then they were also called Quechua, Inca was only their king, their leader.
They are all friendly. They are waving and smiling at us. We don´t get the ADV sign here….
And we are getting another show as we are looking up towards the blue sky. Unfortunately this show is getting more and more exclusive: the flight of the condor!
The huge bird is performing its majestic flight, way up high in the sky. Our camera doesn´t allow us to zoom to much and get a perfect photo. But here´s a “cropped” zoom:
There are more than 600 km from Nazca to Cusco and you can make it in one day if you put your mind to it. We don´t want to do this so we decide to stop for the night in Puquio, a small mountain town “only” 3214 meters altitude. Not a touristic place but a total surprise.
One of those places where you stop only for the night (hoping it will not be “too bad”) but you discover it is much more than that and find it hard to leave in the morning. Yes, Puquio for us was one of those places. It appears to be just another mountain town that you might pass by without any regrets.
But if you do stop and walk around the “glitter” less streets you end up discovering an authentic Andine world. We had cheap food and accommodation (we got the prices for locals not for turists). We slept in a hotel that appeared to be still under construction but with impeccable rooms, hot water and a dedicated owner. We could carelessly and safely walk the streets (with no police around but also without feeling like they should be there).
People were smiling, saying “hola”, talking to us out of pure curiosity and not to ask us for money or anything else.

We were enjoying Puquio.
We went to bed under three lama blankets. It was warm and we slept very well!
Route map for this story:

View Larger Map
Next time we continue our high altitude ride and have to make a decision: we pass directly into Chile or make a “detour” through Bolivia? Stay tuned!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #335
riding machine gene
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I agree with OLDTHUMPERRIDER, you guys rock!
riding machine gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #336
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 896
Simply beautiful!
Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #337
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Going home....

For us, it is not time yet!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #338
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We are in the mountains but still this doesn’t quite feel “usual” for us. Which is a little bit odd as Andreea was born in Meridional Carpathians and I grew up close to Oriental Carpathians back in Romania. But here… strange things one has. At more than 3500 meters altitude, even if it is summer can get cold, real cold and in the same time, if you forget to use sunscreen for a few minutes you are burned. Literally. Here’s the end-of-day result of my burned face with the very sexy (uhmm not) ” motorcycle helmet pattern” .
You can notice as well the “central heating system” made out of 2-3 blankets (llama fur, very good) and hat from home. But, regardless of the cold, the posts on Micadu must go on, right?
And there is also another strange thing happening. We are in a wonderful natural place, the kind of place where you would say you go to take a “breath of fresh air”. Well, here you must really try hard for that breath of air as the oxygen is quite sparse.
We find ourselves waking up in the night breathing hard and not because we had a bad dream but just beacause our lungs are trying to compensate. And climbing 2 flights of stairs with luggage feels like 10. On the streets we wonder how the local youngsters vividly walk or run around without losing their breath over it…
Still, we lake the places very much. We are blessed with another sunny day (which I hear it is quite a big thing during the rainy summers) and we try to adapt as well as we can to the conditions, on our way to Cusco, the old Inca capital. Phill is following us patiently although I am sure he could have sustained a far greater pace. But we stick together and press on.
It is hard to say when we are left without breath due to lack of oxygen or due to incredible views. Curve after curve, the road snakes through green pastures, cleverly avoiding the higher peaks and lovingly hugging the slopes.
We are on llama territory and we are very happy to see them from up close.
We stop. Phill’s GPS says we are at a respectable 4400 meters. We needed a break anyway so we take our camera and try to get closer to the “ladies”.
But these ladies can have questionable manners, we’ve heard, as if they don’t like you enough they can spit you right in the face before moving along. We get lucky I guess as we “pass the test” and we are let to photograph them without getting spit…
It’s sunny, we are in an extraordinary place and the fact that we should make some progress and reach a certain place by tonight kind of fades away in the back of our minds. We will get there if we will get there. While Phill goes on in front, we decide to slow down, and turn off the tarmac road.
A loaded VStrom might not be the best bike to venture out on rocky terrain but hey, we are kind of venturing out of our safe zone for 6 months now. We carefully (and wobbly) plot a route through the rocks and get to a place… where you cannot see nothing else made by man. Only green lush pastures and lakes, guarded by white peaks and lighted up by a blue sky with white clouds. Stop. Don’t move. This is real! This is Peru! And you are here!
Back to the tarmac road, we meet Phill further down a few miles. He was waiting for us as we kinda lost track of time. And space. “I thought I lost you somewhere”. We explain why and he gets it. “Getting lost here might be dangerous, but at least is damn beautiful”. And it is not even all the time without people. We soon find small villages.
The small huts, with roods made out of straws and stone fences seem to just have come out from a story with knights and kings. And the small gardens and shelters for animals are like mosaic pieces spread on the slopes.
Of course, there is no electricity out here. And no running water or waste management. This is kind of to be expected. But even more, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of potable water around (as we don’t see many streams) and also there is no wood for heating. And in winters the temps can go really down at this altitude. We can only imagine the harsh life that these people can have. Still, they belong here. From thousands of years they’ve called this place home and they are bound by this land by the invisible links of their ancestors. For them, this is home. And it is always good to return home!
Like them, we too are bound by invisible links to a place, far far away, that we call home. For a second, the Andean air brought as the fresh pine smell from the Carpathians. We hope that we will be able to get safely and happily there, home, again. But not yet. Not just yet!
The map for this post:

View Larger Map
Next time we have some hard decisions to make. Should we “splash out” and visit Machu Picchu? Will we find a way to do it minding our budget as well? And leaving Peru, should we head for Bolivia or directly for Chile? Stay tuned!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #339
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I have been following you guys for a long time now and i must say i love your RR. It truly have inspierd me to do my own little adventure. Its nothing like yours but il try to do Norway Turkey and back. Including Romania and a stop in Bucarest :)
After all this time -yes i was there from the start- and reading evry word i feel like i know you. i hope you have fun and make the most of your travels. And i think you should see Machy Picchu :)
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #340
Frankenfeejeer
NooB?

Oddometer: 6
Again, Just wanted to say thanks. Outstanding pictures, insight and reporting. I sound a little guilty admitting it, but I thankful that your trip is not going to end Feb 4th as planned. More time for me to spend with your RR!

The meeting with fellow Romanians at Christmas is another little sign of God on Earth. Amazing.
"Sometimes I think the whole world is asleep... everybody you see, everybody you meet, everybody you talk to. Only a few people are truly awake, and they spend their lives in constant, total amazement."-Joe vs the Volcano
Frankenfeejeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #341
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTh View Post
I have been following you guys for a long time now and i must say i love your RR. It truly have inspierd me to do my own little adventure. Its nothing like yours but il try to do Norway Turkey and back. Including Romania and a stop in Bucarest :)
After all this time -yes i was there from the start- and reading evry word i feel like i know you. i hope you have fun and make the most of your travels. And i think you should see Machy Picchu :)
Glad you decided to go! When are you leaving? Please, do not forget to write us (email is the safest) once you know the details so we can organize in Romania for you if you need anything. And you will have a place to sleep and to stay, just let us know!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #342
MiddleEarth
Year 2

Oddometer: 41
Amazing Ride Reports!

As noted by everyone who has caught on to your RR amazing reports and photos!

Your photo of the sign board in Equator intrigued me; why is EAST up?

You passed through my home town in the middle of BC Canada, one day soon I hope to follow a similar path south to Ushuaia.

Keep up the great RR!
MiddleEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #343
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenfeejeer View Post
Again, Just wanted to say thanks. Outstanding pictures, insight and reporting. I sound a little guilty admitting it, but I thankful that your trip is not going to end Feb 4th as planned. More time for me to spend with your RR!

The meeting with fellow Romanians at Christmas is another little sign of God on Earth. Amazing.
We feel a little guilty admitting that we are glad we can prolong (even but for just a little longer) our trip as well. But the "guilt" fades away fast every new day we make progress South Thank you for coming along.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #344
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleEarth View Post
As noted by everyone who has caught on to your RR amazing reports and photos!

Your photo of the sign board in Equator intrigued me; why is EAST up?

You passed through my home town in the middle of BC Canada, one day soon I hope to follow a similar path south to Ushuaia.

Keep up the great RR!
That intrigued me as well. The hole "map" was rotated 90 degrees I can only speculate that sunrise was in that direction and they made the map "as you look at it".
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #345
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnjinSan View Post
Glad you decided to go! When are you leaving? Please, do not forget to write us (email is the safest) once you know the details so we can organize in Romania for you if you need anything. And you will have a place to sleep and to stay, just let us know!
Sounds like a great plan:) im leaving in may, but date is not set.
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote