User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #76
Milestugeau
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Im SO in!

Love the RR. I checked out your route map and hope you will add Monterey to your route. There is a comfy room waiting for you. Just hosted a couple of crazy Aussies for 5 nights, and are looking forward to our next weary travelers. Your spirit shines through your RR and we would love to meet you.

Milestugeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #77
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,726
Excellent photos and a great story. There is an innocence on first approaching North America from the outside that is refreshing and comes out in the RR. Looking forward to more.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #78
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
If you make it to Hood River, we have lots of room for a tent and motorcycle!
Craig & Natalie
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #79
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
The New World II.1 Heading to South Canada

@Craig: nice meeting you, even though we did not made it to spend the night. Good luck with the fruits :)
@Milestugeau: we would love to visit also Monterey. Let's see how we will progress towards California as now we are quite slow :) Keep in touch!

----------

This post marks the beginning of a new chapter in our journey. The first part of our trip, crossing North America from Est to West all the way to Alaska is completed. Now we look forward to make some serious progress towards South.
覧覧覧覧覧
We wake up with a strange feeling. The Autumn is following us closely in our foot steps. You don稚 see it for sure yet. But you can feel it. In the few yellow leaves in a sea of still green trees. In the Fireweed flowers. We found out that this beautiful flower takes its name from the fact that usually it springs in areas which had recently been under forest fires. But the wind takes the seeds to far places so one can find Fireweeds all over Alaska and Yukon.

It blossoms from the lower parts upwards so during summer it looks like in the above picture. But once it gets to the end, it means that summer is close to an end. So nature provides it own warnings.

For us this means only one thing: head South! We exit Hyder saying good bye to the wonderful and diverse people we致e met there.
Good bye Alaska! See you next time!
From now on we were not sure what to do exactly. We wanted to be in Nakusp, in lower British Columbia for the Horizons Unlimited motorcyclists meeting. But that was a few good days later. So in the mean time, we just wonder around keeping a general South direction. Taking it slow and enjoying the stops.
Lunch near an old train station. Different travelers, maybe same dreams!
Time flies by and we soon reach Prince George. I have to say that we found here the fastest internet connection from this trip until now. And it was in a clean and cheap motel. Nice surprise. We press on the next day and we see how when you have too much wood you can have the luxury to burn logs and trees by the side of the road.
Coming from crowded, expensive and vastly deforested Europe, this sight is a pure wonder for us. People would pay good money back in our country to have this wood for heating fire, during winter. Here it is not economical to carry it so it is burned on the spot, with no added value.
Now, I am not by any means an economist but just a meager traveling Engineer, but still this things make you wonder how our lives are sometimes directed purely by economics. And I wonder if this is a good thing But I digress.
As we had still plenty of time, we decide to take a detour (yes, yet another one) and check out Jasper and Banff, famous Canadian national parks which sit between Alberta and British Columbia.
Glaciers Parkway proves to be an amazing route. The valley is carved by the glaciers and the views are spectacular.
Andreea notices that her left peg is loose. We stop and sure enough the screw that holds the panier racks is broken. Fortunately it is not stuck so I manage to take it out and swap it with another one.
While there we wonder around a bit. Andreea is taking pictures of some flowers in the bushes. And I am looking for a 渡atural bathroom further doan in the woods. After we are ready, we travel a few hundred feet just to find some cars stopped on the side looking at a bear. Great! We are not taking any pictures of it as we are just happy that our screw broke in an area without bears. As far as we know
Better to enjoy the scenery. Snack break is by the side of the glacier.

and rain sneaks up on us
We reach Banff late into the evening. We find a beautiful city but one which is crowded with tourists and utterly overpriced. Too late to move further so we have to take what we hope will be the most expensive room in this trip. Because if we are keeping it like this Argentina will be a very far far away place. Never mind, there will be nights when we will be more frugal. Like the next 4 days tenting in Nakusp.
In order to reach Nakusp we had to take a busy road. Trucks, road works, busy traffic, trains by, this place had everything. We make slow progress. And we get some more rain. Not too much though so my shredded rain suit can keep up.
Another interesting experience is meeting the nice lady from a Tourist Information Center. We enter and kindly ask her if we could use the wifi for just 2 minutes to check something on the internet. She says bluntly: 哲o, the internet is only for the employees. Hmmm OK, no problem, then could you just help us with directions to a place in town where we could find some free wireless? Or a coffee shop maybe where we can drink a hot tea and surf the net? No, I cannot help you with that, but you can use these PCs for only 1.50 dollars per 10 minutes. Ahaa, thank you so much 1.50 dollars for opening google maps. Nice We left after wishing her to have a better day from now on. And it is not about the money either. 1.50 dollars is not much at all but just the idea of not wishing to extend any help. She was from there, she must have known that there was a McDonald痴 just 1 mile ahead (we found out when we left the city) which of course has free wifi. Eh no point in keeping our minds busy with that. I guess anybody can have a bad day
And by the time we reach Nakusp some 70 miles and a ferry crossing later we all but forgot about the low points of the day. For the next 4 days we barely moved our bike from where it was parked. More than 200 people attended to H.U. meeting. We had the chance to meet people who traveled in so many places, we got to see presentations, pictures and share ideas about motorcycle traveling. We learned a lot, we helped with what we could, and we made new friends.
But details about the time spent in Nakusp will come in the next post. Until then, we wish you good night!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #80
Tefloncandy
Oximoran

Oddometer: 174
Keep up the great work... loving every minute of it.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #81
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Nice to meet both of you also! Sorry we did not have more time to talk but we will be following your trip...

This might be another good thread to follow on ride reports for info as you travel South.

Radioman Rides the World.......

Craig McCurdy screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 08:53 PM
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #82
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,794
Wasteful

Coming from crowded, expensive and vastly deforested Europe, this sight is a pure wonder for us. People would pay good money back in our country to have this wood for heating fire, during winter. Here it is not economical to carry it so it is burned on the spot, with no added value.

Now, I am not by any means an economist but just a meager traveling Engineer, but still this things make you wonder how our lives are sometimes directed purely by economics. And I wonder if this is a good thing… But I digress.

---The above practices have been going on for a long time in this province...
The forest companies are allowed to hi-grade the best part of the tree and burn the rest... I believe if someone was able to generate revenue out of those piled trees they would get scaled and that scale would be deducted from the logging companies annual allowable cut... So it is in the best interest of the big forest companies to just burn all the less valuable parts of a tree... The degree of waste has gotten really bad over on Vancouver Island as the government has given the companies the anything goes nod to supply the Chinese market with raw logs ... It is unbelievable at how fast they are knocking down the Islands forest to supply this market and around half of what they are knocking down is just being piled up and burnt.... I was employed 15 yrs back as a pile burner... Our normal day was to mix up 400 liters of napalm and run it through a flamethrower to ignite these piles... I did not stay on this job too long as I didn't feel right about what we were doing...

It was great to meet you 2 in Nakusp, have a safe journey south...

David..

gunnerbuck screwed with this post 09-05-2012 at 09:34 PM
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:42 AM   #83
oldtouring B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
If Florida is in your plan..

You have our guest room ready and waiting. We live in the Northwest corner near Panama City. Ride safe..
oldtouring B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #84
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,103
Great update.Really like the pics.I agree with those that think they are wasting wood there.Many people around our country are hurting for wood to make repairs and heat their homes.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #85
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 178
In!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #86
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Need to bookmark my place in this. What a great RR.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #87
JohnnyTh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Great RR love reading it!
JohnnyTh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #88
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The New World II.2 Traveling motorocyclists meeting

As I was mentioning last time, this post will be a little bit atypical. For around 4 days, we wouldn稚 move our motorcycle much from it痴 parking lot but still we would get to reach far away places by following the stories of others.
We are not the only ones planning not to move the motorcycle for a while

Right, I will start by confessing something that probably will turn away the male have of our audience (after the female have of the audience probably fled already after reading that this post will be about a motorcyclists meeting). OK so this motorcyclists meeting didn稚 had 妬nteresting ingredients as 殿lmost-naked-female-passengers or wet T-shirts contest or rock concerts with lots of booze.
So hopping that not everybody is gone, I should continue saying that Horizons Unlimited Meeting is basically a pretext for long traveling motorcyclists and other overlanders to meet and exchange ideas, stories and pictures. Hmmm still it was my first motorcycle meeting so I was quite curious how it will go
During the day there are presentations about the journeys, places and people meet on the way.
Also there are sessions with useful information organized for the newbes (like me). For example how to change your tire. Or how to fix a flat.
One session that I was really looking for: how to pack light. Life in 12 kilos yeah right we are so far away from that. yet
And beyond all the presentations the most useful part for me was that I got the chance to meet all these people who were like-minded. I could tell the guy next to me that I am planning to go to Argentina and he wouldn稚 think I am crazy. If anything, probably he would even give me some advice as he was already on a similar trip. That is just awesome.
In the 菟arking lot there were all kinds of contests happening. Like 都low riding:
The atmosphere is relaxed and you basically could talk with anyone, exchanging ideas about bike modding, camping gear, what works what does not. And you had the chance to take a lot of pictures. Which I did.
There is a monster lurking :
Past and present:
A young German and a delicate Italian lady are sharing the same camping spot.
Thanks Susan and Grant for organizing the event. Glad that we volunteered to help!
That痴 it for now. From next time we will be on the road again, heading for Vancouver.
We will discover how the information from the training 擢ix that flat would come into play sooner than we expected. We will meet great friends in Vancouver area and we値l find out if Gunnar is ready for the trip South. Stay tuned!
Written from a restaurant and functioning on coffee.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #89
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,103

Those moto meetings are much better than those with drunken nearly naked women.Good update.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #90
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The New World II.3 Vancouver People

After 4 days of camping we manage to gather our stuff quite slowly. It is amazing how fast you get out of being efficient with packing (not that we ever were too efficient). Still, today we have in front of us an interesting road. 溺an, take the road to Kaslo. It痴 number 2 in Canada for driving several people told us at the meeting. Well I do not know how number 1 is but oh my God road number 2 was so great! I do not think the bike was up straight more than a few minutes the hole way. The rest of the time it was just leaning to the right or to the left, following the winding road. And we were not the only ones to know about this roate A quick look in the mirrors:
The road becomes crowded quite fast and the few cars that were also there are kind enough to let us pass. I soon find out that I am too slow for the speed bikes and corner carvers so, all loaded up and quite slow I find other partners to ride with. A few dozens of them:
Gunnar is quickly addopted in the cruisers pack and we ride together.
We go on towards a small town called Nelson and we part ways. They are looking for a camping site, we have to continue on riding as Collen, our host, was expecting us. The green mountain forests give way to the yellowish hills
We are tempted to stay more at Colleens but we were already behind with time. We say good bye and continue our journey through farms, cows and horses set in an idyllic landscape.
We feel that we are in Montana. And we are in fact very close to the border with the U.S. But we are not going there yet. First we go to Vancouver. Starting the day late means you will probably finish it late and true enough, by the time we reach the outskirts of the city the sun was playing was playing with the High Voltage Power line.
It is strange how initially we weren稚 even thinking of going to Vancouver (not to mention we didn稚 knew anybody there) and we ended up visiting the city and the Vancouver Island where so many wonderful people reached out to us. We got also the chance to meet some of them
Traian and Mihaela host us for a few nights and we get to rest and also to share ideas about common plans. If all goes well, Traian will leave for South America as well, only he will use something a little different, with 4WD and rugged looks. Two different machines, made to chase the same dream!
Then we moved on Vancouver Island in Nanaimo. We met Kev in Nakusp. Even though he knew us only for 2 days, he invited us to stay with his family and then spend the better part of day working together with me on Gunnar.
Cleaning filters, improving the luggage sidecases latches and the most importantly, managing to to eliminate two oil leaks ( engine oil and fork oil) that Gunnar started to have. Both of the problems were 塗uman error and hopefully now they are fixed for good. I also get to learn a lot of tricks of what to do in order not to 菟ush the bike if the thing goes bad on you on the side of the road. Again, information that I hope to never have to apply but which it is good to know.
Kev痴 friend Mark, who just changed his Vstrom for a GS1200 (we all do sometimes crazy irrational things right Mark? ), donated us the headlight grill that should protect Gunnar痴 兎yes from now on. I am not sure if we will ever be in a situation that will put the grill to work but for sure the bike looks much more 澱ad ass now! Thank you Mark!
We leave from Kev痴 family in Nanaimo feeling that we leave old friends

We would have stayed some more but we had to rush back to the mainland for a wedding. Back in Romania, some dear friends got married on 1st of September and we missed the wedding as we were very far away. But then Chif and Ana which whom we stayed in our first night in Vancouver told us that they are going to get married on 2nd of September. And so it seems some things fall into place in life. We miss a wedding back home but we have the chance to take part in a Romanian wedding in Vancouver. And so we did.
Best wishes Ana and Chif
After the ceremony we gather our gear and head for the boarder, departing Canada for the last time in this trip. Thank you Canada! You致e been wonderful!
Next time we get lost on the back roads of Washington State and eventually we find our way to a hot springs retreat!