User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
layzrider OP
Layzrider

Oddometer: 116
Honda Hawk to a XLV 650- this is going to take a while

I wanted to improve my Transalp suspension but decided I did not want the bike in pieces for a long time. The improvements might not work either. I found a partial NT 650 cheap and bought a CR500 roller for suspension. I wanted a challenging project and I found one. I am figuring maybe a year to do this. My goal is a bike between my DRZ400 and my stripped down TA. 375 lbs, 10" ground clearance and 35" seat height. Better suspension than the TA. I really like my TA, looks and sounds good but marginal for anything but dirt roads.
layzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
layzrider OP
Layzrider

TA and NT

Transalp I did not want to wreck but rather ride this year.

Project Hawk on the stand.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #3
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,129
I will be doing something like that later this year, got a TA frame and a running hawk. My plan is to move the motor into the TA frame, HOWEVER if I could get a AT motor....................
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
layzrider OP
Layzrider

The Hawk is a 650

It has a few more horsepower than the 583 TA. I think your plan will be less work than mine. The TA frame is more suitable for modification.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #5
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by layzrider View Post
It has a few more horsepower than the 583 TA. I think your plan will be less work than mine. The TA frame is more suitable for modification.
At this point, I am trying to decide between making a rally bike or a supermotard out of it. I know of a 700cc kit for the Hawk, my concern is how reliable it would be.

Don't get me wrong, the Hawk is a great little bike to ride in the twisties, I just can't ride scrunched up on it like I used to, knees don't like it
Old 04-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Transalp I did not want to wreck but rather ride this year.

Project Hawk on the stand.
Are you going to try to use a cush drive in the rear wheel?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #7
layzrider OP
Layzrider

No cush drive in the CR500 wheel

Is that a problem? The cr500 wheel is solid. Here is part of my sketch of what the bike will hopefully look like.

layzrider screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 07:48 AM Reason: My Transalp has a cush rear wheel. Hopefully not essential
Old 04-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that a problem? The cr500 wheel is solid. Here is part of my sketch of what the bike will hopefully look like.
Depending on how hard you use it, snapping the throttle open, a cush drive could help prolong the live of you counter shaft. I am doing some mods on my NX650, disc brake on the rear, I am keeping the cush drive.

I am looking forward to seeing your hawk project when you finish it
Old 04-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #9
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,055
I owned a Hawk GT from '92 through '07 (put over 65k on it myself) . When I first got into dirt bikes then adventure bikes, I kept thinking, this Hawk could make the perfect base for a lighter-weight adventurer. Stone reliable motor, torquey without being too powerful and it's a Honda. Never did butcher mine up, sold it instead.

The limitations will be with the stock swingarm. You won't get enough travel out of that, and trying to lengthen it with a non-linkage suspension will certainly lead to challenges. Long enough forks MAY prevent a real 21" from hitting the radiator, or you may have to go dirt bike-style, one on each side. Because the bike is so small, the ergonomics may not be right once you put higher bars on it. And you'll definitely want to raise the seat a couple of inches. Please God put a decent size tank on it.....

This should be fun.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Scubawerx
Scubawerx

Oddometer: 149
Say it with me..."Rally".
Old 04-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
layzrider OP
Layzrider

Not sure what you mean by Rally

You mean it won't really be a dirt bike, more of an Adventure or Rally bike. That is my goal. The rear suspension is being replaced by a CR500 system. No, it does not fit. Yet. The front is also CR500. Clearing the radiator reduces the clearance 1". The 500 radiators were just not going to work. I am also trying to keep the center of gravity low, so I am reducing the CR500 fork length 2". Trying to keep the seat height reasonable at 35". I will make a bracket to accept the 500 foot pegs, the rear sets would not work. The size of the gas tank is unknown. I will try to make it as large as possible without making it ugly. Lots of challenges on this project.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
layzrider OP
Layzrider

I am learning frame geometry

Now I am working on the mounts for the rear suspension. I need to get creative to achieve a 35" seat height and make strong mounts for the shock tower.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #13
Quacamole
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #14
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,454
Neat project!

I used to road race a Hawk. The fragile part of a Hawk motor is the crank, and it's HP and RPM sensitive -- a 55 hp Hawk motor will last more or less forever, but a 65 hp Hawk will only last 4 race weekends... before needing a new crank!! Do not, under any circumstances use a 10.5k redline ignition module if you have reliability concerns. When the crank fails, it fails catastrophically, destroying the cases.

Motor-wise, the guy you want to talk to is JD Hord:

http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=1

IIRC, the 700 pistons are a bit heavier than stock, but JD can lighten them.

Tell him Al from Gang Of Nine says "hi".

Regarding wheels & cush drive, yes, you need a cush drive. Have a look at a DR650 hub, which will need to be re-laced with an 18" rim, or a KTM 950 rear wheel assembly, which is already 18".
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 AM   #15
layzrider OP
Layzrider

Thanks for the info

I was not planning to modify the engine anyway. Now I know I am not. Thanks for the heads up on the cushioned hub. My TA output shaft has some wear on it after 20,000 miles. Not by me. The Hawk shaft shows no wear, even though the bike was clearly run hard and not maintained properly. My old XR 350 and 250 shafts are fine. So things don't quite add up. Will it help that I ride my bikes with care? Or is the output shaft doomed without a cushioned hub.