Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #31
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
I'd say you got a bracket from a different bike there.
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #32
Ross1969
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
The bracket is the wrong one for your bike. I checked the brackets on my bikes, they are the same as your workshop manual photo, which has a raised centre and a hole in the middle. Bolted at 3 points.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #33
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
great escape

Today was very misty, I went into the woods to take some pics. It was pretty cold, couldn't see shit cause my visor was fogging up, had to go low and slow, but it was worth it.

fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
fotoduda.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #34
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1969 View Post
The bracket is the wrong one for your bike. I checked the brackets on my bikes, they are the same as your workshop manual photo, which has a raised centre and a hole in the middle. Bolted at 3 points.
I looked at the brackets on my xl500s which uses the same moter and the brackets look like the ones in your manual without the hole in the center. Also the brackets are not the same from side to side i.e. the left and right are not only dfferent they are not mirror images of each other, there is a bit of an offset on one side.

Someone refered to this bracket as a "head steading bracket" which is not what it is. The engine is an integral part of the frame and with only two of the three bolts in this bracket your frame will have more flex in it and potentially a week point where it could bend.

Also I was wondering where you got the PDF manual, Ive been eye ballin an estart swap from a ft500 into my xl500 and would like to see some dirty pictures.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #35
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

I guess I'll have to fab that bracket from some 2-3mm steel plate.

Let's just say I found that manual in some deep dark corner of the internets. PM me your email and I'll make you an accomplice
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #36
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
I have some inspiration now

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #37
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoduda.com View Post
The most difficult is to start, the rest is just fun. The big plus of working on a cheap peace of shit bike like this one is that you're never afraid to break it and when you finish (if you ever finish) it will only look better
Exactly why I love old bikes. Plus, they look better than a lot of the modern stuff out there.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #38
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

Story behind the picture.

It was on one rainy Friday afternoon in September when I've read on the internets that there's a classic bike racing event going on in Branna (CZ) that very weekend, in the mountains something like 360km away from me. What a great opportunity to not sit at home, have a nice trip and make some killing photos. By the time I made up my mind it was late evening and I realized that I don't have any proper boots nor trousers for this kinda trip in this kinda early autumn conditions. I totally skipped the fact that I had a broken clutch leaver held on by a piece of rubber string and that the rear suspension was shot with a tendency to go flat and get stuck in that position, giving me a much unwanted experience of riding a hard tail. I made it to the motorcycle gear shop just before closing time and after many tries found some trousers that would actually fit my long skinny legs. Of course the next day I realized that they were still too wide and too short for me at the same time. This shit happens to me almost every time I buy new pants. For the boots I decided to go with a tall military mountain model cause they offered good protection against cold and water and I could still walk in them, pretty much anywhere. Plus they where under 100 EUR. I got them the same morning I was leaving.

Buy the time I was ready to go it was noon. I hate to leave late. I went to a gas station to fuel up and had this idea to check the oil. I remembered I haven't done this properly at all since I bought it. Surely enough the probing bayonet was dry as hell. I bought 1l of oil and started pouring it in. 1/4... nothing. 1/2... nothing... 3/4... nothing! After all I put 2l of oil in it to be at the right level. And the bike's oil capacity is 2,5l in total. I did 500km with 20% of oil in it already and the previous owner did probably 10x more. Some engine they built.

The trip passed uneventfully. I made it to Branna just in time Saturday's practice and qualification runs were over. I was happy that the plan worked. Than it downed on me that there was no plan. For example I forgot to plan to exchange the moneyz at the border, to buy some provisions and beers, or to find a place to sleep. I concentrated on getting there so much I didn't think about all that nonsense at all. I did a quick mental check. I was in this remote mountain village, tired and hungry, with no food nor beverages, I had 100 Polish Zlotys on me, there was no exchange office in 50km radius, no shop that accepted VISAs, nor any shop that was open in the evening, actually THE shop was usually closed on weekends, but because of the race it was open from 7 till 8 a.m.! It was getting dark, I had a tent and a bottle of water and there was no camping site in sight or even a place to pitch a tent, since the place was overloaded with bikers already.

I looked to the right and I saw some bikes with Polish plates. I asked them if they know a camping site. They said they're staying with a big group behind this hotel, but some fuckers built a swimming pool last year and there was not a lot of space, and I should follow them. All I understood was to follow them. We made it to the spot which happened to be a small grass parking on a slope behind this hotel in the middle of the village. With 15 bikes and a party going on already. It was a bunch op people from Silesia, a southeastern part of Poland. Coming from a little more north I spoke with a different accent and never actually mixed with them before. They turned out to be good folks. They all knew each other and had no idea how I ended up there, but with no hesitation they found a place for me to squeeze my tent in, 2 minutes later somebody offered me vodka, someone else changed my Zlotys into Czech Koronas from his wallet, the night was young and there was a good vibe in the air. Sooner than you can say hocus pocus where all marching up to the karaoke bar on the other side of the valley. I didn't know I could speak Czech, nor sing for that matter. Alcohol does wonders. Some say it kills your brain cells, but others say it only kills the weakest ones, so the survivors are the best of the best. I remember dancing and singing (more like screaming), going back to our spot, finding my way to the tent, putting on all my clothes and tying my sleeping bag as tight as possible. I could feel cold even as I was drunk, so it must have been really cold.

Next morning was a horror. Not only was my head the size of a small moon, but I was awaken at 7 a.m. to the sound of a vintage open pipe two strokers racing thru the village. It was horrifying, I didn't know which way was up. The noise was indescribable. Fear and loathing dawned on me. I managed to crawl to a bar and get some caffe, I even tried to eat some breakfast but very soon my stomach gave me signs that it was still half full of beer. My brain just sat there and watched and didn't pick up any calls. The roar of the bikes was banging between the houses and slopes of the valley getting amplified on the way. The effect was that it felt like standing next to the passing bikes even as they were on the other side of the track. I was wandering around like a lost child. By the the time I was able to think again it was noon. All of my new best friends have already left the scene. I could describe my position no better than in the words of Hunter S. Thompson himself: "Panic. It crept up my spine like the first rising vibes of an acid frenzy. All these horrible realities began to dawn on me: Here I was all alone in Las Vegas with this goddamn incredibly expensive car, completely twisted on drugs, no attorney, no cash, no story for the magazine. I didn't even know who won the race. How would Horatio Alger handle this situation?".

"The decision to flee came suddenly. Or maybe not. Maybe I'd planned it all along - subconsciously waiting for the right moment." I spent my last Koronas on Czech beer and a salty potato pancake, rolled up the tent, found a break between the races, loaded up the bike and run away. I took a longer route thru the mountains, snapped this pic on the way and made about 150km before calling it a day at my cousin's place in Wroclaw.
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu

fotoduda.com screwed with this post 10-27-2012 at 06:24 PM
Old 10-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Coronado
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Cheers from Argentina!

And of course, I'm subscribed
Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #40
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Huzzah!
I bow in splendid admiration. Better luck at next year's race.
The glorious days of misspent youth.
Future ideas?
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
grisezd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Wonderful writing, wonderful photographs, and a great choice for a motorbike. Please keep up your posts between adventures!
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #42
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #43
blues bob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
comic magic

Huge skills with the Words! Genius at the poor mans "fix-it" abilities!! And the HUMOR!!! My sides hurt and my wife in the back room thinks I' ve flipped out------I haven't stopped laughing in 30 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Thanks
blues bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #44
lord_oblivion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
What about rear shocks? Didi you found replacement?

www.jawaklubsrbije.org
lord_oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 AM   #45
fotoduda.com OP
Adventurer

I saw some shock on eBay for 50 USD, but the shipping to Poland is another 50 USD. If I don't find anything else in Europe till spring I think I go for it.

All I did lately on the bike was to put retro starter and horn switches on the handlebars, so I don't have to hot wire it every time. Will put some pics soon.
fotoduda.com
generalbikes.eu