Oddometer: 4,335
Whoooooeeeee.......awesome

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Great news. Well done for being a good samaritan.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
PARIAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Great job. Bet the owner was beyond pleased with your efforts.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #19
jimco OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Sluthing details

Here's the story. I have left out some details: owners name and the town he lives in.

If found a phone number on the battery pack and was able to determine the owners name from the answering machine message. But he didn't return my calls. The phone number was an east coast location based on the area code, but could be any where if it was a cell phone.

I think I mentioned there was some expensive electronic equipment in the pannier. I called electronic manufacturer and gave them the serial number. They were able to identify the owner, but didn't/wouldn't tell me (for obvious reasons). She said they would send me a prepaid UPS label and to print it out and ship just the electronics to them and they would ship it to the owner. I asked about the other items, but she was only concerned about the electronics

A couple days later I received an email with the prepaid label. The problem was the return address they used was owners address (east coast) instead of mine. They got the name wrong, too. This didn't make me feel very comfortable.

I did some more internet sluthing and found the owner also might live in a town in Colorado.

I rode to that town on Sunday and asked at a hotel if they knew owner. They said no, but go to the restaurant across the street and ask them. The workers at restaurant didn't know him. One of the customers recognized the name, but didn't know where he lived. I knew I was getting close. She suggested I look for the town cop as "he knows everybody."

I couldn't find the cop. So, I stopped in a bar with a live band and asked the bartender (it was loud!!). She said "Yeah, he bought my house" and walked away. I waited a few minutes while she waited on some paying customers and then asked if she knew his phone number. She said "No, but I'll tell you where he lives."

She gave me directions. I rode to the house and knocked on the door. A man came to the door and I said "Are you (his name)?" He said "Yes. Are you the guy who found my stuff?" The electronics manufacturer had called him to say somebody found his items. They also confirmed the address and name mix-up with him.

We talked for half an hour or so. He identified all the "stuff" in the pannier and I was convinced he was the owner. He also confirmed what I found out about him on the internet: where he previously lived and the phone number on the battery, wife's name, daughter's name.

I strapped the pannier to my bike and delivered it and the contents to him this morning. There was Nikon D700 camera and a brand new 24-300 zoom lens. The set up cost well over 4000$.

He was very glad to get it back.

It was fun sluthing around on the 'net. It is surprising what you can find out about people.

Thanks for your kind words, help and continued interest in finding the owner.
Jim
jimco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Zeke013
Village Idiot

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post
Here's the story. I have left out some details: owners name and the town he lives in.

If found a phone number on the battery pack and was able to determine the owners name from the answering machine message. But he didn't return my calls. The phone number was an east coast location based on the area code, but could be any where if it was a cell phone.

I think I mentioned there was some expensive electronic equipment in the pannier. I called electronic manufacturer and gave them the serial number. They were able to identify the owner, but didn't/wouldn't tell me (for obvious reasons). She said they would send me a prepaid UPS label and to print it out and ship just the electronics to them and they would ship it to the owner. I asked about the other items, but she was only concerned about the electronics

A couple days later I received an email with the prepaid label. The problem was the return address they used was owners address (east coast) instead of mine. They got the name wrong, too. This didn't make me feel very comfortable.

I did some more internet sluthing and found the owner also might live in a town in Colorado.

I rode to that town on Sunday and asked at a hotel if they knew owner. They said no, but go to the restaurant across the street and ask them. The workers at restaurant didn't know him. One of the customers recognized the name, but didn't know where he lived. I knew I was getting close. She suggested I look for the town cop as "he knows everybody."

I couldn't find the cop. So, I stopped in a bar with a live band and asked the bartender (it was loud!!). She said "Yeah, he bought my house" and walked away. I waited a few minutes while she waited on some paying customers and then asked if she knew his phone number. She said "No, but I'll tell you where he lives."

She gave me directions. I rode to the house and knocked on the door. A man came to the door and I said "Are you (his name)?" He said "Yes. Are you the guy who found my stuff?" The electronics manufacturer had called him to say somebody found his items. They also confirmed the address and name mix-up with him.

We talked for half an hour or so. He identified all the "stuff" in the pannier and I was convinced he was the owner. He also confirmed what I found out about him on the internet: where he previously lived and the phone number on the battery, wife's name, daughter's name.

I strapped the pannier to my bike and delivered it and the contents to him this morning. There was Nikon D700 camera and a brand new 24-300 zoom lens. The set up cost well over 4000$.

It was fun sluthing around on the 'net. It is surprising what you can find out about people.

Thanks for your kind words, help and continued interest in finding the owner.
Jim
Wow - great work. I am glad folks like you are around!
Zeke013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 AM   #21
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 213
Awww. . . This is so sweet! It really should appear in Reader's Digest.

Were there any interesting photos on his camera? And why did the case fall off? Did the dood at least offer you a bottle of Scotch?

and while I am being nosey, just what kinds of electronics were they? I mean, I just got back from seeing The Dark Knight Rises and I'd hate for you to give back the nuclear code activaror or something. Heeyy . . .Dood wasn't bald and wearing a microphone mask was he? goes by "Bane". Bane M. Williams or BMW for short.

A LOT of expensive electronic equipment fell off in that movie too but sadly, Catwoman's outfit stuck to her like cat hair on a wool suit.

Good going Jim. You give all motorcyclists a good name.

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #22
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post

Jim

And that is an understatement!!! Good on ya for for playing Colombo!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #23
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,642
Nicely done Jimco. Two thumbs up for your honesty and integrity.

Regards, Paul