User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Buell xb12x differences 06-08

What is the difference between the xb12x 06 and the 08. Ive read that i should go for the 08 but i see a fair few 06 models for not a lot.

Is the 08 worth the extra money.

It will be my second bike. Ive been riding for 1 year on a dr200 im confident and sensible when riding, will the bike bw too much to handle?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Use Google Search

Also try badweatherriders.com BAD WEB

It is everything Buell

Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post

Is the 08 worth the extra money.

It will be my second bike. Ive been riding for 1 year on a dr200 im confident and sensible when riding, will the bike bw too much to handle?

Better oil pump on the 08 is worth every penny.

I think it's too much of a jump for somebody with DR200 only experience, I'd steer you towards a DR/KLR 650 type bike.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

I like the klr650 but i want a weekend bike for 2 up touring. The klr is a bit too cramped for that.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Old 07-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
OmegaRunner
The Total Package

Oddometer: 100
From Bad Web:

Quote:

2006- First Year for XB12X Ulysses. Colors- Midnight Black, Barricade Orange

2007- New standard lower seat, Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires replace Dunlop D616 tires, dual-rate front fork springs, revised airbox cover (better flow), improved oil pump. Colors- Midnight Black, Barricade Orange.

2008- Buell 25th anniversary insignia, 47 mm vs. 43 mm forks, steering lock increased from 54 degrees to 74 degrees by new triple clamps and offset forks, heated handgrips standard, air guides added below seat to deflect engine air, redline increased from 6800 to 7100 RPM redline, new engine oiling system, new EFI system (TPS resets no longer required), new timing system (timing adjustment not required). Colors- Midnight Black, Barricade Orange, Thrust Blue.

2008-1/2- XB12XT introduced. ~1.5 inch lower seat height, street-tuned suspension, taller windshield standard, Pirelli Strada tires. Colors- Midnight Black, Thrust Blue, Racing Red.

2009- improved drive belt, improved footpegs, XB12XP Police model introduced. Colors- Barricade Orange, Thrust Blue.

-------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------
Details of changes from Buell.com news releases:

2007 Model Year Changes

New Seat Design

For 2007, the Buell Ulysses is a better fit for more riders, thanks to a new seat shape that’s both narrower at the front and lower overall. Seat height is reduced by 1.3 inches, to 31.8 inches. Seat comfort and durability is further enhanced by the elimination of seams on the side of the seat and an improved coarse texture.

New Tires

Another change for 2007 is a switch from Dunlop D616 to Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires. Through testing by Buell it was determined that when fitted to the Ulysses, the Pirelli tires deliver better pavement performance and similar performance on unpaved roads, thanks to an aggressive, open tread pattern. Tire size is unchanged, at 120/70R-17 front and 180/55R-17 rear.

New Fork Springs and Airbox Cover

Revised front fork springs improve handling and rider comfort, while a revised functional airbox cover optimizes air flow potential without affecting intake noise.

[Not listed here- improved oil pump with increased scavenging capacity. See post below for details.]

2008 Model Year changes

Significant changes to the front suspension and steering, plus powertrain enhancements, improve the performance of the 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12X, an adventure sportbike designed to carry its rider beyond the end of the pavement. The Ulysses features long-travel suspension, higher ground clearance and more aggressive tires that allow it to explore the roughest roads with confidence. But when the pavement is smooth and twisty, Ulysses performs like a flickable, agile sport motorcycle, propelled by a 1203 Thunderstorm V-Twin that is a bottomless pit of pure torque. Innovative features and accessories make Ulysses a comfortable, capable long-distance traveler or commuter. The versatile Buell Ulysses can take its rider where ever the road is headed.
New 47mm front forks replace the previous 43 mm forks. Secured with a new triple clamp design, this new front end improves the torsional rigidity of the entire chassis. Fork flex is reduced during hard braking for improved stability and feedback.
Steering sweep lock-to-lock is increased to 74 degrees from 54 degrees to reduce the turning radius in off-road low-speed maneuvers. New off-set triple clamps maintain the 23.5 degree rake and 4.8 inch trail.
Heated hand grips are now standard equipment on the 2008 Ulysses. The grips are rated at 18 watts per side on the High setting and 11 watts per side on the Low setting.
New air guides positioned on the tail section of the Ulysses deflect engine heat away from the rider’s legs.
Modifications to the 1203 Thunderstorm V-Twin engine enhance performance, reduce maintenance, and allow a new redline of 7100 rpm (see separate Thunderstorm release for details).
The instrument panel styling is refreshed and the tachometer reflects the new 7100-rpm redline.
A commemorative Buell 25th Anniversary graphic with Erik Buell’s signature is placed on the handlebar clamp.
New color: The 2008 Ulysses XB12X is offered in a new color, Thrust Blue, in addition to Barricade Orange and Midnight Black, each with Magnesium Tone wheels.

Thunderstorm Engine changes: Buell continues to develop its Thunderstorm V-Twin powertrain in 2008, with significant enhancements that boost engine performance and reduce required maintenance.
The Buell Thunderstorm is a modern air/oil/fan-cooled V-Twin powertrain utilized in the Buell XB motorcycle platform that includes the Firebolt, Lightning and Ulysses model families. Two versions of the engine are offered. The Thunderstorm 1203 displaces 1203cc and produces 103 horsepower at 6800 rpm and 84 ft. lbs. of torque at 6000 rpm. The Thunderstorm 984 displaces 984cc and produces 92 horsepower at 7500 rpm and 70 ft. lbs. of torque at 6000 rpm. Both are tuned to deliver a broad, flat torque curve that makes abundant power available to the rider at almost any speed, reducing the need for downshifting and providing strong acceleration in any situation.
Both engines feature electronic fuel injection and dry-sump oiling. The Thunderstorm 1203 is equipped with the Buell InterActive Exhaust system, which utilizes a valve in the dual-chamber muffler that is controlled by the ECM and adjusts exhaust flow according to riding conditions to smooth torque delivery and optimize engine power.
For 2008 the Thunderstorm 1203 redline is increased to 7100 rpm from 6800 rpm, giving this engine an even broader powerband, and riders the ability to accelerate longer and downshift at a higher rpm. The rpm redline of the Thunderstorm 984 remains 7500 rpm.
For 2008, the following changes have been made to both the Thunderstorm 1203 and the Thunderstorm 984

* The timer cover is eliminated, as the engine is now crank timed from a new crank position sensor, which eliminates the need for manual timing, reducing maintenance costs. The ECM actively monitors and adjusts timing based on driving environment. The new sensor makes 30 reads per revolution, compared to the previous two reads per revolution, for more precise control of fuel mapping and timing to conditions.

More Robust Crankpins-
* The size of the crankpins is increased to 1.50 inches from 1.25 inches.
Oiling System Upgraded
* A higher-output oil pump supports oiling to the new crankpin area. The new pump is driven off of the crank, a design based on the Buell XBRR production racing motorcycle.
* A new eight-row oil cooler offers enhanced cooling performance.
* All oil line ends are now equipped with Jiffy-tite fittings.

New DDFI 3 ECM (Engine Control Module)
* A new ECM with increased computing capacity.
* DDFI 3 actively controls and monitors the TPS (throttle position sensor), IAC (idle air control), and timing. DDFI 3 automatically zeros the TPS and adjusts fuel metering for smoother idle, eliminating service intervals and reducing the cost of ownership.
* A new progressive throttle cam and new throttle cables provide smoother throttle input from stops, and less rotation to full throttle

[Not listed here- Throttle body/intake manifold changed to one-piece assembly. Bolting arrangement to heads revised for easier access. See post below for details.]
Old 07-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 866
Most of the 08's can be had for somewhere in the $6k area.

Since I bought my 2008 Uly last month my Harley Ultra and my 2 Yamaha's enduros have seen zero miles. The Uly is just pure fun and super nibble in twisties. I ride gravel roads quite a bit as I live down a long one and it handles them well.
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
OmegaRunner
The Total Package

Oddometer: 100
I picked up a 2009 XT on Friday for $5200. I think I got a pretty good deal. The blue book retail is $7500. If I were you, I would try to hold for a 2008 or newer.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
ironslede68
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I think it's too much of a jump for somebody with DR200 only experience, I'd steer you towards a DR/KLR 650 type bike.

Bull Shit. get what you want and ride it. good luck finding a uly, i've had mine a month and love it.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
thesurvivalist OP
Backcountry Rider

Many thanks for the info. I was never aware the ulysees came in 2 different engine sizes. Im going to wait for an 08 with full luggage. What websites should I check to find one for sale. Cycletrader, bad weather bikers etc?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
Many thanks for the info. I was never aware the ulysees came in 2 different engine sizes. Im going to wait for an 08 with full luggage. What websites should I check to find one for sale. Cycletrader, bad weather bikers etc?
They don't. The smaller engine was available in the Lightning models.

The '08 had more steering lock. Not a deal breaker, but handy to have.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironslede68 View Post
Bull Shit. get what you want and ride it. good luck finding a uly, i've had mine a month and love it.

He asked, otherwise I wouldn't have said a damn thing, lighten up.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
08' XT does NOT have the 47mm forks or increased sweep to 74*. Only X got that change. And other than height, All else is same on 08' X or XT.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
PS: As others have said - go to BadWeb site - all you need to know there, with specific thread for new owners (or prospective owners) of this iconic machine. I loved my 08X. Some of the 06 / 07 models have had crank / bearing / oiling issues - but by no means all. Dont know of any 08', or newer, engines with that problem (as crank journal size was increased & oil pump design was changed) Tho some 06 / 07's have hit 100K mi - so its the luck of the draw. Good luck
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
CRP6001
Photographer

Oddometer: 150
I found a 2008 XT on Ebay. Delievered one week ago.
This bike is easy to ride, at least on the street. Haven't
tried gravel or dirt, yet. If you ride with some sense and
maturity, the Ulysses will not be to much bike for some
one with your level of experience. CRP
CRP6001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Crank Issues

There was a run of bad cranks in the 07 line of Ulys.

The 06 were the first year production so they had some initial issues, that were addressed and solved.

The 08 has the newer style oil pump, strreing clamp geometry and other changes.

Good luck with the ride