User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
2008 Concours does a Stone Fort, Beechcraft and Lynchburg Tennessee

It's been a while since I've posted anything because it's been a while since I've done much riding.

On Thursday I purchased a 2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 sport tourer. One came up here locally and my son and I occassionally pick up a bike, ride it and then resell it. I've been anxious to get to know a sport tourer like an FJR, ST1300 or a BMW RT but the opportunity has never presented itself. This Concours showed up and the timing was good so I took a chance.

If you're not familiar with the bike here's a good article comparing it with the BMW and Yamaha counterparts http://motorcycles.about.com/od/newm...ours14Revw.htm .

So I decided to get up this Saturday morning and take it for a ride. Here's the planned route:

I'll leave Murfreesboro, head to Manchester to see Old Stone Fort State Park then over to the Beechcraft Heritage Museum in Tullahoma, on to Lynchburg to see what bikes are on display and finally a pleasurable ride back to Murfreesboro through the small towns of Wartrace and Bell Buckle.

I'm keeping the bike in Murfreesboro, TN at my office which has a small warehouse. This makes it convenient as my home is on a remote hilltop with a 1/4 mile gravel driveway. Recent storms have washed the gravel out in places and I feel better about concrete and asphalt than gravel anyway.

So I show up around 7:00am and grab a few things and make the short 3/4 mile trip to I-24 Exit 80. I remember I haven't put my tag on, don't have the registration and haven't put my proof of insurance in my wallet so it's back to the office.

Those things corrected it's now back to I-24 East for a quick trip to Manchester. I usually avoid Interstates at all costs but with the Concours I'm actually looking forward to it.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]

Liberia screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 08:05 PM Reason: mistakes
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Liberia OP
Fortunate

The office before departure and the new-to-me 2008 Concours. I'm looking forward to getting to know this bike.

One of the techy things that I like about the bike is the tire pressure sensors. Not sure why I like them as it's not a big deal to check your tires before each ride but it seems neat just the same. Of course, when a sensor goes out I will not be as enamoured with it. The bike also has quite a number of other display options including the current mpg, total mpg (41.8mpg since new) and a host of other displays. I can't figure out how to set the clock and don't know why it doesn't have a temperature gauge though.

In Middle Tennessee even the Interstates are pleasant on the eyes. But the trucks and wind buffeting are not. This morning the traffic is light and it's the fastest legal road around.

I started just off Exit 80 and will exit the Interstate at Exit 105 which is approximately 26 total miles. Then a short 5 mile stretch on US 41 and I will be at Old Stone Fort State Park.

Here's the entrace to Old Stone Fort State Park. They are doing road work along here so it's easy to miss is you don't know where it's at. I visted here a year or two ago and there hadn't been much water so I'm anxious to see the dam after the recent, heavy rains we've experienced.

Liberia screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 08:08 PM Reason: mistakes
Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #3
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Shortly after entering the park (it's not a very large place as Tennessee State Parks go) you see a sign saying campgrounds are to the right. To get there you have to cross a single lane bridge which looks interesting. (here's their website for more information: http://tn.gov/environment/parks/OldStoneFort/)

I was there just after the park opened so it was still damp from the rains last night. I found the bridge to be a little slippery to walk on so was careful as I drove and parked on it.

This is the Duck River and it runs quite a long way through this part of Tennessee. Like many Tennessee "rivers," it's not very big. Of course when you consider the Mississippi I guess we do have at least one that's quite large. It's a little deeper than normal here because there is a dam just out of sight.

The bridge really isn't that long but the narrowness of it makes it look long in the photograph. I think they did a good job of building an older style bridge that's in keeping with the nature of the park.

Liberia screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 08:10 PM
Old 07-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Even though this is a small park, it does have a museum. It is small as well and they seem to be making changes because things were a little out-of-sorts inside.

These are some of the things found (or perhaps recreated) from the early excavations that occurred here around 1928. The material says that the American Indians that created the large mound area here did so about 2,000 years ago.

A local artist made up this "map" of the area. It's a little different in that it's bent at what ends up being a 90 degree angle which lets you view more of it at the same time.

My father was a Game Warden for the State of Florida for 24 years. He used to find arrowheads in the "deer woods" as he was going about his daily work. Most were unearthed by the logging crews that worked for Buckeye Cellulose. At one time we had a small grocery sack full of them. Most were not as nice as these however.

Liberia screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 04:53 PM
Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Liberia OP
Fortunate

In front of the museum there is a model of a dugout canoe. I believe this was done as an example of how the original indians here went about the process. I don't think that a canoe made from a log this small would be of much use if it would float at all. I'm sure that the size of trees were significantly larger before all the clear cutting was done in past decades. There are some nice "second growth" trees in the park however.

One of the neatest things about the museum is that it's built into the side of the hill leading down to the river. The top is a flat stone enclosure which gives a nice view of the river below. This is the dam that I'll show you up close a little later.

I'm not much of a fan of pictures of signs because they usually don't come out very well (as evidenced by this one). However, the discussion of how this indian mound was misnamed a fort by the early white settlers was informative to me and helped me understand why they made this a State Park.

Here's another sign (I know, I know) which provides a little more information about the "fort."

Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Due to the recent rains there is a lot of water coming over and around the dam. I was here a year or two ago and it had much less water and you could see that the dam actually have openings behind the curtain of water. The dam is built on an angle and you can actually stand behind the falling water and under the dam.

Immediately below the dam the water turns back into its normal, shallow self. Although today it's a little more active due to the large amount of water.

This is actually the "fort." It looks like a large field cleared in the middle of a forest which is, I guess, about what it is. The park literature calls it a "mound" and I do think that it says the top was flattened out after the trees were cleared. So I guess we've been damaging the environment for at least 2,000 years around here.

When I was walking back to the parking area for the next part of the trip I saw a park ranger and a volunteer both trying to start a fire using the bow and string method. It looked like a lot of work to me and, since I had money for a pack of matches, I moved along.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Liberia OP
Fortunate

I leave the park and head south on US 41 until I get to TN 55 where I turn right. Then on to TN 130 and a short turn to the Beechcraft Heritage Museum. Total miles is about 17.

Unfortunately the museum gate was locked. I pulled out my trusty Blackberry and checked their website to see if I was early. It was about 9:15am but their website said they opened at 8:30am. So I called and got their answering machine which also said they opened at 8:30am from Tuesday through Sunday. I'm not sure what happened (maybe it was a good day to go flying) but I decided to move along to Lynchburg. I'll be back to see this museum as I hear it's a really good one and it's only an hour from my home.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.beechcraftheritagemuseum.org/.

On the way to Lynchburg you pass the entrance to Motlow State Community College which is named after one of the early Jack Daniels Whiskey folks. This may be a dry county but if you've got money to give you can still get your name on things.

And, although not a challenging ride, TN 55 is a enjoyable road with little Saturday morning traffic and plenty to keep your eyes and mind active.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Continuing down TN 55 another 12 miles or so gets me to Lynchburg, Tennessee. It is, as if you needed me to tell you, the home of Jack Daniels. I don't drink myself but I heard how much the whiskey they have stored in the local warehouses is worth and it made me think about their stock.

Bumpus Harley-Davidson has an apparel shop in Lynchburg due to all the bikers who come here duing the Spring, Summer and Fall. I have a Fat Bob and have had at least 10 other Harley's in the past 3 - 4 years but I still thought it would be funny to park the Concours in front of their store and go in for a visit. As long as you have money, you're welcome in any H-D dealership.

Moore County, where Lynchburg is located, has a beautiful old court house and the traditional Tennessee "square."

And you can get tacky shirts and other memorabelia just like all other tourist locations.

I had the chance to buy a Screaming Eagle Fatboy kind of like this about 3 years ago and didn't and I've regretted it ever since. They bring five thousand dollars more now than I would have had to pay then. Oh well...

Proof that bikes other than Harley's are allowed in Lynchburg. Acutally you'll find sport bikes, dual sports and street bikes of just about any flavor here. But the majority of bikes present at any time will always be Harley's. Not sure if that's due to the Jack Daniels distillery just down the street or not.

And for you flower lovers, here's a close up of a Crepe Mertle (a young one).

Another flower of some type. Due to the long dry spell we endured just before the recent floods started, there aren't many flowers of any kind around the square.

I call this the "Government Machine." You put 50 cents into it and get back 1 cent and even then, it's not worth spending.

"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish but that all should reach repentance."

I have to be careful in Lynchburg. A couple of years ago I came here and saw a beautiful Fat Bob and thought I needed one. So I ended up with one which is in the process of being sold. Now I see this Cross Bones and think it would be a nice bike to own. Just say now...er, I mean, no.

I'll post a little more of the trip later. I need to leave work and head home (this does count as work doesn't it?)

Liberia screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 05:29 AM
Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
Liberia OP
Fortunate

The landscaping along the stream that runs in front of the Jack Daniels welcome center is beautiful.

Inside the welcome center people were already signing up for the distillery tour. I've never been on it but hear that it's very interesting. At one point I thought I might also stop off at the Georgle Dickel distillery in Normandy, Tennessee on the way back to Murfreesboro but my plans changed. Maybe another day.

The Concours looks out of place among the Harley's both in configuration and in value. These are some very expensive bikes.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
Liberia OP
Fortunate

I decided to ride back by the Beechcraft Heritage Museum to see if it was open. So back down TN 55 to TN 130 and the museum. Still closed. So I continued along TN 130 to see where it lead. It wound past the back side of Motlow State Community College and into TN 276 and finally to US 41 where I turned left and rode to the edge of Shelbyville for fuel (the tank wasn't full when I bought it and was showing near empty). I know I'm supposed to take a picture of all gas stops but forgot. So if you can imagine a BP gas station with a 2008 Concours taking on high grade gasoline you'll pretty much have it. So about 28 miles since leaving Lynchburg.

I then cross the street and take TN 64 east to Wartrace. I never see the sign for Wartrace without thinking of my wife's grandmother (Nana) who will turn 101 soon. She came up several years ago from West Florida and saw the sign for Wartrace and commented that it was strange that people would name a town "Wart Race."

Wartrace is a quaint little town but never seems to have acquired the ability of Bell Buckle (my next stop) to promote itself or attract tourists. One thing it does have is a very nice city park. I've put pictures of it in at least one of my earlier threads.

Leaving Wartrace I take TN 269 the 12 miles or so into Bell Buckle. This road is actually a pretty fun little highway that has a number of twists and turns as well as plenty of nice scenery to boot.

Bell Buckle does very well in attracting visitors and seems to be a favorite of motorcyclists, bicyclists and general tourists of all types. They have several festivals there each year including the RC Cola and Moon Pie Festival. It's also home to the Webb School which is a well known college prep school attracting students from several states.
Leaving Bell Buckle I continue north on TN 269 until I turn left onto Christiana Hoovers Gap Road. Then a left onto Wayside Drive and a right on Epps Mill Road over to I-24 at Exit 89 (home of Love's Truck Stop). That's about a 12 mile ride.

Once on I-24 West I'm off for Exit 81 which happens to have a very good Japanese/Chinese resturaunt called Cathy. It's on the right as you take Hwy 231 toward Murfreesboro.

I had my old standby, egg drop soup, fried rice and General Tso's chicken. The General must have had a number of chickens as I've never seemed to run out.

About a mile or two and I'm back at the office by noon after a 100+ trip. The weather has been warm and humid but leaving early made it acceptable. I'll try again to see the Beechcraft Heritage Museum as I hear it's well worth the effort. Lynchburg is always bustling with motorcycles and Old Stone Fort State Park provides a place to sit quietly beside a river and think about how blessed we are to be Americans.

I hope you've enjoyed the trip. I hope to write a report on a three day trip with my Alaska and Florida brothers in the next 2 weeks. That one will involve Cheaha Resort State Park in Alabama, a visit to the Barber Motorsports Museum outside Birmingham and a ride down to Tuskegee where the famous airmen were trained.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post

I can't figure out how to set the clock and don't know why it doesn't have a temperature gauge though.
Push the upper button till you have CLOCK selected, push the upper button again hold it in for a couple of seconds.
The hour and minute should then start flashing
Push the lower button, till the hour position only flashes, then use the upper button to advance the hours.
Now push the lower button again, and the hour display should stop flashing and the minute display will start flashing.
Push the upper button to advance the minutes.
Once you have the correct time displayed, push the lower button again and both the hours and minutes display should flash together, then push the upper button to stop the display from flashing and exit the clock mode.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #12
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKIGAI View Post
Push the upper button till you have CLOCK selected, push the upper button again hold it in for a couple of seconds.
The hour and minute should then start flashing
Push the lower button, till the hour position only flashes, then use the upper button to advance the hours.
Now push the lower button again, and the hour display should stop flashing and the minute display will start flashing.
Push the upper button to advance the minutes.
Once you have the correct time displayed, push the lower button again and both the hours and minutes display should flash together, then push the upper button to stop the display from flashing and exit the clock mode.
IKIGAI, thanks for the help. I'll do this when I get back to the office on Monday.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #13
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
The temp. gauge is on the left just like the fuel gauge..........
telejojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,377
Nice report.

It's nice to see someone who appreciates different styles of bikes. KLR, Harley, and now sport tourer. What's next?

I did pass through Murfreesboro and Shelbyville last month. As I passed through I thought about your previous report about your commuting in the area.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
The temp. gauge is on the left just like the fuel gauge..........
Telejojo, I was thinking of an outside temperature gauge (ambient I think it's called?). Some bikes have one to tell you what you already know.... it's either hot or cold.