User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Purchased both Honda 2013 Models

Metropolitan for wife in white- OTD cost approx 2,400, the bump ^ delaer handling & prep . could have done better had Irealized buying a new scoot is no different then buying a new car....Am located in Maryland...

PCX 150 in red for me- OTD cost approx 3,900 breakdown: MSRP + title, taxes tags, & delaer "surcharges"

Both with 1.9% Honda financing deal good till end of month...

The availbiltiy of these scooters appears to be elusive though I'd say from reading other posts plunking down the $500 deposit seems to produce one sooner.... maybe my imagination, just sayin

Havent taken delivery yet, will pick them up Monday. I've never owned a motorized vehicle unless counting wife's Schwinn Tailwind ebike.. I'm avid MTB rider --any form of 2 wheel transport is appealing... I test rode the Met, it sold me on a Scooter. never did on PCX .... when they told me the "uncrated one today" I told the to hold it.

I'll post more on them as time progresses......
RUNDCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,098
Very cool. I just started adulthood cycling and I like it better than driving in a car. Good choice on bikes too.

Are you giving up pedal power?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #3
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
nice one man post pics when you get them
Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
tortoise2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNDCM View Post
Honda 2013 Models . . Metropolitan
Review
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #5
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,341
The new Metropolitan is a re-badged Honda Giorno made in China, rather than the Japanese built Crea Scoopy that has been our Metropolitan ill these years. The new model is air-cooled instead of liquid-cooled on previous models, although it does add fuel injection.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
nice one man post pics when you get them
+1
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
So youse talking abotu never owning a 2-wheeled motorized vehicle, or you ain't owned nothing? Either way, good choices!

That 150 will have pleanty of power. IMO I'm have an Elite 150 and it has plenty of acceleration even compared to my 700 cc Shadow. Only issue is top speed on interstates. If it was all I had, it'd be alright on the freeway. Stay in the right lane and cruise, watch out for cagers you'll be fine!

The PCX is a great scoot. And the Met is great for getting your wife started. I'm sure y'all will have lots of fun! Enjoy and keep us posted!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexnut View Post
The new Metropolitan is a re-badged Honda Giorno made in China, rather than the Japanese built Crea Scoopy that has been our Metropolitan ill these years. The new model is air-cooled instead of liquid-cooled on previous models, although it does add fuel injection.

WTF? I don't like that! No wander the price has dropped on the Met. Just hate to see more made in China. While I'm sure its still build to Honda's standards, I still don't like it. And why air cooling? Cheaper I guess. But I thought the little radiator on the 50 was neat before! Not entirely necessary, but it looks good in the features! Air coolings alright, but seems with the scoots them fans tend to make a lot of noise when you driving it, I don't like it make it sound like a whiny. Sounds alot like a Winda Air Conditioner.

Fuel Injection is totally unnecessary on a scoot. Mostly done for emmisions I'm sure. But IMHO it just adds more problems in the future. Nothing like a good ol' simple carb. ALTHOUGH, the trouble shooting is neat with a code scanner! But then again, no more roadside repairs like the good ol' days!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
I personally prefer carburetors as they add personality to the machine, and I've never had any issues rebuilding carbs... hell, I've been working on them since I was ten. Carbs also have the unique ability to function in a variety of states of disrepair; they don't just up and quit; they give warning signs, and will often allow you to limp home when things do go wrong. Fuel injection either works, or it doesn't. It's that simple. Diagnosing fuel injection issues on a single-cylinder machine shouldn't be too bad; there is an MIL indicator on the dash, and the system is relatively simple; injector, crank angle sensor, temperature sensor, o2 sensor, and computer.

One major benefit of fuel injection; the systems are usually well designed, and will typically outlive the life of the engine and require almost no maintenance between riding seasons. Also, modern FI systems are way less complex than a CV carb, as long as the electrics don't give out. This means no more enrichener valve, no choke, no float and bowl, no needle valves, no slide, no plunger, no vacuum chamber, and no more vacuum lines.

My next machine will be a Suzuki Burgman 400, which is all computerized and way more complex than my Helix. Luckily, I have at least five more years with the Helix before I even THINK about a new machine.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

feedback so far for PCX150 & Metropolitan

SInce this is my first 2 wheeler ever my observations are somewhat limited. I'd like to hear from others to compare notes: The PCX150 is a really nice looking machine. Its quiet, handles well and pretty mich is a sum of the positives others speak to. I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel, The "low fuel" comes on pretty quick once you get to 1/2 a tank & will make you sweat it out until you realize you still have almost a half gallon to spare. I removed the seat bump to attempt to attain more seating flexibility but it didnt prove to be of any benefit. The area where it resideson the seat is not cushioned nor is the seat material (vinynl) glued to that part of the seat--there is just a void of space. Pickup seems strong up to 40-45 MPH but after 45 it struggles to 50-55. I have not had it past 58-- I dont think it will go much faster than that. plus I'm not too comfortable waiting for it to climb to 60> with my current rider skillset. For the record I weigh 202 lbs and am 5'11". The fit & finish is good, the controls have a sold feel , and the seat storage is impressive. The seat closing task is a bit goofy-- you have to press it down firm and listen/feel for the latching, others have mentioned this as well. The engine cadence on the 150 is somewhat gurgley-- unlike metropolitan which is smoother sounding. I hope either (a) it needs a shop adjustment of some type or (b) it just isnt broken in yet to go near 70 mph as I heard others therorize based on owning a PCX 125. I have 120 miles on it so far....

The Metropolitan: The wife likes it Nice scooter all the way around, Excellant choice for a first timer. The accelaration is about what I expected-- even exceeds a little bit . It is one user frendily scooter.. There is little if any fault with this scooter, too--It is a good choice she did see a Vino she liked the looks of better-- but I think it is 2-300 bucks more for same 50cc motor size. I would be amazed if anyone had any negitive surprises with this scooter.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
geek_riot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
What sort of speeds is your wife seeing on the Met?
geek_riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

35+ on slight down hill , 25 on up hill, I'm seeeing 28-33 mph on flats
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #13
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
SInce this is my first 2 wheeler ever my observations are somewhat limited. I'd like to hear from others to compare notes: The PCX150 is a really nice looking machine. Its quiet, handles well and pretty mich is a sum of the positives others speak to. I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel, The "low fuel" comes on pretty quick once you get to 1/2 a tank & will make you sweat it out until you realize you still have almost a half gallon to spare. I removed the seat bump to attempt to attain more seating flexibility but it didnt prove to be of any benefit. The area where it resideson the seat is not cushioned nor is the seat material (vinynl) glued to that part of the seat--there is just a void of space. Pickup seems strong up to 40-45 MPH but after 45 it struggles to 50-55. I have not had it past 58-- I dont think it will go much faster than that. plus I'm not too comfortable waiting for it to climb to 60> with my current rider skillset. For the record I weigh 202 lbs and am 5'11". The fit & finish is good, the controls have a sold feel , and the seat storage is impressive. The seat closing task is a bit goofy-- you have to press it down firm and listen/feel for the latching, others have mentioned this as well. The engine cadence on the 150 is somewhat gurgley-- unlike metropolitan which is smoother sounding. I hope either (a) it needs a shop adjustment of some type or (b) it just isnt broken in yet to go near 70 mph as I heard others therorize based on owning a PCX 125. I have 120 miles on it so far....

The Metropolitan: The wife likes it Nice scooter all the way around, Excellant choice for a first timer. The accelaration is about what I expected-- even exceeds a little bit . It is one user frendily scooter.. There is little if any fault with this scooter, too--It is a good choice she did see a Vino she liked the looks of better-- but I think it is 2-300 bucks more for same 50cc motor size. I would be amazed if anyone had any negitive surprises with this scooter.
You'll notice it gets a bit more life in it the more miles you put down. At 5,11 180lbs i've gotten up to 68mph at 600 miles.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

Assume your referring to the PCX, & not the Met...........
Old 08-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
InlineSkate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Assume your referring to the PCX, & not the Met...........
Of course. Well you could certainly get the Met to do it too. Would be just one hell of a project.
InlineSkate is offline   Reply With Quote