Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
The performance you describe on your PCX is equivalent to the 125cc version after it is fully broken in. And the motor will be noticeably stronger after 1,000 miles or so. Lol! I used to live in Maryland just outside D.C. And I would drive 100 miles into rural Maryland to find a car dealer that wouldn't screw me. I found when you live in a county where everyone is a federal employee and makes well over 100K, everyone who sells anything is out to screw you hard. I don't miss that hellhole one bit.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #17
Timmygp
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNDCM View Post
SInce this is my first 2 wheeler ever my observations are somewhat limited. I'd like to hear from others to compare notes: The PCX150 is a really nice looking machine. Its quiet, handles well and pretty mich is a sum of the positives others speak to. I'm on my 2nd tank of fuel, The "low fuel" comes on pretty quick once you get to 1/2 a tank & will make you sweat it out until you realize you still have almost a half gallon to spare. I removed the seat bump to attempt to attain more seating flexibility but it didnt prove to be of any benefit. The area where it resideson the seat is not cushioned nor is the seat material (vinynl) glued to that part of the seat--there is just a void of space. Pickup seems strong up to 40-45 MPH but after 45 it struggles to 50-55. I have not had it past 58-- I dont think it will go much faster than that. plus I'm not too comfortable waiting for it to climb to 60> with my current rider skillset. For the record I weigh 202 lbs and am 5'11". The fit & finish is good, the controls have a sold feel , and the seat storage is impressive. The seat closing task is a bit goofy-- you have to press it down firm and listen/feel for the latching, others have mentioned this as well. The engine cadence on the 150 is somewhat gurgley-- unlike metropolitan which is smoother sounding. I hope either (a) it needs a shop adjustment of some type or (b) it just isnt broken in yet to go near 70 mph as I heard others therorize based on owning a PCX 125. I have 120 miles on it so far....

The Metropolitan: The wife likes it Nice scooter all the way around, Excellant choice for a first timer. The accelaration is about what I expected-- even exceeds a little bit . It is one user frendily scooter.. There is little if any fault with this scooter, too--It is a good choice she did see a Vino she liked the looks of better-- but I think it is 2-300 bucks more for same 50cc motor size. I would be amazed if anyone had any negitive surprises with this scooter.

You summed it up perfectly - I have 230 miles on my 150 and experience the same thing. Hopefully it is a break in thang and I feel more stable above 55mph!! If it got up to 65 or 70 quicker that would help - but to hit 45 and have full throttle and slowly creep to 60 is no good!!! Un nerving .
Timmygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:16 AM   #18
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
as its his first bike, maybe what he thinks is slow is actually normal. the acceleration on scoots does tend to die off when getting nearer to the top end
Old 09-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
update both 2013 scooters

The Met-- The good-- The blinkers make clicking noise, I like that , 260 miles on it so far,,,tops at 35 straightaways 25 on hills. Not much else to report it does its job, & I can park it with bicycles . A scoot like this is too handy to not have around for summer errands.

The PCX--The Good-- Still the same, it runs a little faster to 55-60 MPH but doesent have much to offer past that speed limit, its been on highways holds on but I dont think I'll ever see 70 on it. Time will tell... Did Oil change. Need a 12 mm socket for the drain plug and a 17 mm wrench for the filter screen. Use a coffee can or something to drain oil into--regular oil pan for car is too big to fit right under it. I put synthetic in it --no reason just what auto parts store had availble. other than that - no (new)accessories , no modifications. Gas mileage is about 98-101.... I weigh 205 lbs . 6'11 tall. Thats about all to report. The color of it is red and I like the red.
RUNDCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #20
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
The Met-- The good-- The blinkers make clicking noise, I like that , 260 miles on it so far,,,tops at 35 straightaways 25 on hills. Not much else to report it does its job, & I can park it with bicycles . A scoot like this is too handy to not have around for summer errands.

The PCX--The Good-- Still the same, it runs a little faster to 55-60 MPH but doesent have much to offer past that speed limit, its been on highways holds on but I dont think I'll ever see 70 on it. Time will tell... Did Oil change. Need a 12 mm socket for the drain plug and a 17 mm wrench for the filter screen. Use a coffee can or something to drain oil into--regular oil pan for car is too big to fit right under it. I put synthetic in it --no reason just what auto parts store had availble. other than that - no (new)accessories , no modifications. Gas mileage is about 98-101.... I weigh 205 lbs . 6'11 tall. Thats about all to report. The color of it is red and I like the red.
6'11 tall and 205 lbs? Skinny dude. Must look clown car like on the 50cc scoot.
Kinda weird to mention liking clicking blinkers.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #21
kev187
Faux Pas Rendezvous

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Havent taken delivery yet, will pick them up Monday. I've never owned a motorized vehicle unless counting wife's Schwinn Tailwind ebike.. I'm avid MTB rider --any form of 2 wheel transport is appealing... I test rode the Met, it sold me on a Scooter. never did on PCX
Just curious, you have never owned a motorized vehicle before? Do yuo have your M-Class license? the PCX requires a motorcycle license tags and insurance in MD? plus new laws require the met be registered also.

Take your time, the PCX will go over 60mph and experience is a must, be patient learning the bike.

Where in MD are you guys? near DC. We have a local DC meetup group, mostly for the 125cc + crowd for day rides and events.
kev187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #22
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
I just bought a new 2012 Zuma 125. Cost OTD was $3354.00. A new 2013 would have been just a hair over $4K. I got the last 2012 they had. I looked at the Met while there. They wanted $3120 something OTD. But this is AZ. You don't get good deals from the "powersports" places here. They add on tons of extra fees. I almost got into a fight with the paperwork guy because I did not buy the extended warranty and a service agreement. Those are where most of the real profit is made.

I don't know about the Met, but the Zuma was made in Taiwan. I first thought it was made in China, but when I gave the VIN to my insurance agent, it was a Taiwanese VIN. So I looked on the scooter and sure enough it said Taiwan. I don't know where Honda is getting their bikes, but Kawasaki is building most of theirs in Thailand.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #23
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

New rider

I never had a M class lic. before in my life. put 800 mi on the PCX before i went & got the M class. Who the hell is going to put any serious mile on a motorcycle/scooter with a learners permit anyway?? been down that road & its Bullshit. I just rode the damn thing illeagel till I was familar enough to pass the test. Alll the M-Cycle safety classes are filled up. Who eles but a newbie would appreciate clicking blinkers ? I leave the things on too long most time anyway --newbie thing I guess. Plus alll the shit I'm gettin at work for riding a scooter is halairous...Some dude with flaming fireball stickers stuck to the fenders on his compact car asked me "if I needed a licience for it" I said "Hell no, as long as the cops dont pull you over" So yea I'm looking not too swift on the 50 CC but hey, I gat a big manly 150 CC too... Telll me more about this MD DC scooter ride thing. I'd like to hear more on it! DCM
Old 09-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #24
kev187
Faux Pas Rendezvous

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
I never had a M class lic. before in my life. put 800 mi on the PCX before i went & got the M class. Who the hell is going to put any serious mile on a motorcycle/scooter with a learners permit anyway?? been down that road & its Bullshit. I just rode the damn thing illeagel till I was familar enough to pass the test. Alll the M-Cycle safety classes are filled up. Who eles but a newbie would appreciate clicking blinkers ? I leave the things on too long most time anyway --newbie thing I guess. Plus alll the shit I'm gettin at work for riding a scooter is halairous...Some dude with flaming fireball stickers stuck to the fenders on his compact car asked me "if I needed a licience for it" I said "Hell no, as long as the cops dont pull you over" So yea I'm looking not too swift on the 50 CC but hey, I gat a big manly 150 CC too... Telll me more about this MD DC scooter ride thing. I'd like to hear more on it! DCM
http://www.meetup.com/dcspindoctors/ here isa link to the dc local scooter meetup group. for the record i did not come up with the name. we do rides pretth frequent that are 125 friendly.i catch hell from my coworkers all the time about the scooters, i hzve been ruding motorcycles for 17 years, does not bother me much fol,sdo not like what i am riding!
kev187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
JerryH
Banned

I'd be real careful with that Met in town. I used to have a 2007 Met, and almost got run over from behind so many times in town that I gave up city riding. And mine would do 40 mph. I even wired the turn signals so they worked as 4 way flashers. Maybe helped a little. But if you pull up to a stoplight on it, it is very likely the vehicle behind you is going to nail you. They don't know the difference in a 50cc scooter and a 1000cc crotch rocket, and will expect you to take off fast. I put over 10,000 miles on that Met, almost all of it on rural 2 lane country roads, where I could ride on the shoulder. The Met simply doesn't belong on the street with cars, and you can't ride it in the bike lane.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #26
KennyT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hi RUN DCM

Love this thread. Does your wife still enjoy riding?
What a great interest to share...
I bought my first scooter 5 weeks ago, and am loving it!
Ken
p.s. I am happy my blinkers click too!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #27
RUNDCM OP
Adventurer

Riding the Met & PCX 150

It seems OK to wife to ride for pleasure scootering-- the preference is back roads and neighborhoods. Now that she has confidance she'll ride longer & further. in face enough experieance under her belt to want a 150 or 250 size which is what I was hoping all along... You simply cant beat a 50 cc for running the town errands you can park
with bicycles, or out front, the thing just makes you appear so damn innocent it funny. Cops dont seem to pay much attention if you not goofing off on it. I cant say I experieanced the fear of someone running into me because its underpowered, you simply have to choose carefully the roads you ride. I will say I wished drivers would simply pass you as if you were on a bicycle-- for some reason most will trail behind you even if your going obiviously slowr like a bike.

The PCX 150 on the other hand can attract cop attention simply because it looks like a crotch rocket at first glance....1300 miles so far on the PCX, seems like its more responsive between 50-60 mph now too....It took 1200 miles of riding before noticed. Also recently was running really bad--almost succmbed taking to shop but, waited until the gas was used up. The next fill up had it running normally. Bad gas has a dramatic effect on these vehicles. I drive it 30 miles each way to work weather permitting. Mostly on 35-50 mph roads. Its fine for that. In order for me to ever see 70 mph I'll probably have to lose 70 lbs..............
Old 10-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #28
JerryH
Banned

Around here, almost everything besides residential streets is 45 mph. There are a few streets that are 30-35-40 mph, but if you want to actually get anywhere, you have to take the 45 mph streets. My '07 Met topped out at 38 mph. It is common here for everybody to go 50-55 on 45 mph roads, and when the light changes, they just have to see how fast they can reach that speed. If you are in front of them on a Met, you're in trouble. Once they see how slow you are, then they just get mad and start blowing their horns. The real danger is before they know. They expect you to take off like a rocket, and will run over you before you even get across the intersection. There have been many scooter accidents here because of that. Even with the 4 way flashers I never felt safe enough to ride it in town. Much safer out on 65 mph rural roads where you can ride on the shoulder. My Zuma 125 keeps up fairly well on 45 mph roads when they are flat. Slight hills got it down to 40 mph, but I weigh 220. It can be ridden on 65 mph roads, as long as you stay to the far right, and move over if a car comes up behind you and there is oncoming traffic. A 50cc Met can be ridden from coast to coast if you are determined enough, and plot your course well. Now that is what I would call and adventure ride, and it would not cost a fortune to do it either.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
MotoRandy123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Why would you "put synthetic in it --no reason just what auto parts store had availble." ?

You should let it break in a bit first. Especially where you said it wouldn't do 70MPH. It
will still break in just very slowly. I had a truck once that took 40000 miles to break in
but that was because I put slick 50 in it at 2000 miles!

I'm very interested in one of these but wonder what top speed to expect and how
the mileage is...

They can get 110 MPG but that might be the 125cc with the auto stop. Not sure
why they can't sell them with that here. It adds about 10 MPG! I wonder if you can add
it back on?

70 MPH would be nice...
MotoRandy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #30
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,474
I doubt it was the slick 50 since the FTC sued them over false advertising and their product doing absolutely nothing.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote