Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
Jbone11 11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
2014 - Dacre Challenge....whats it take?

Me and my riding buddies have been talking about the Dacre challenge this year and a lot of banter has been going back and forth about support teams/vehicles, or more to the point, a lack there of.... how hard would it be to complete the event with out a support vehicle?

Also...we'll be riding a mix of bikes...990 adv, a couple KLR's, maybe a BMW 650 dakar and another KTM 450 exc (not sure on the last one)....judging by some stuff I've read already, we'll be on the heavy side of the pack

Anyway...we're all pretty stoked to be doing the ride and would love any tips...advice...whatever.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 825
Dacre

Not that I am an expert just did it once two years ago with two other guys, I think we finished 4 or 5 can't remember. We did not have any support and don't think you need it. There are gas stations along the way and you have large enough tanks to get you there. As for tips all I can give you is lose as much weight as you can lol. Spread the spare tools and tubes ect.. Between the riders.
Just fill up as much as you need to get to the next station, extra fuel is extra weight. Don't waste time at stops, take turns leading easier on the front guy lol.
Prob think of something later so edit when needed
I also should be doing it again this year, should be great.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,095
Also thinking about gathering up a couple other undesirables and making a run at the Dacre, just sounds like to much fun to miss it. We'd be running 690s, likely need to carry a bit of fuel.
CanadianX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:15 AM   #4
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Also thinking about gathering up a couple other undesirables and making a run at the Dacre, just sounds like to much fun to miss it. We'd be running 690s, likely need to carry a bit of fuel.
We had two 690s and a 640 for the last one. As for fuel I had the safari tank and the other 690 had a aux tank on the rear. Will be selling the safari tank (maybe) with or with out the bike. I put a larger tank on my 500 also.
My friend who has done it a few times suggests three people as a team not the 5, more people more problems, more stops etc.. It is a great race and lots of fun. Just make sure your GPS is working and maps can load on to it. We only had one working gps and it was a huge pain. Like I said befor try and not stop often because there are time limits you have to make or you are out. Oh ya good lights are a must because it takes 16-19 hours to do, start is 4am.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
Jbone11 11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It says the event starts on the 20th of June....I might be getting the shaft at work and wouldn't be able to get there until evening of....if I got there later on the 20th is that still enough time to start the event??
Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 AM   #6
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 724
Crap date... don't get back from wainright until the 19th...
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
Jbone11 11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well...if you get your riding kit squared away before you head out, in theory you'd have about 12hrs of rack time before the dacre....maybe more depending on the location and travel time.....basically strip off the combats and put on yer riding gear, jump in the truck and head 'er.....for you it'd be closer to the real "dakar" experience coming off a training ex.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,875
You can get away without a support vehicle, but you're just making an already tough event that much harder on yourself. Having your truck there with fuel and food and spares and water for your camelbak and so many other little things make all the difference.

There's a couple of guys here that did it on 950s, maybe they'll talk about what that took.

Remember: this route uses part of the Cord and the Rock Hound. If you don't know what those are and what that means and still enter, might I suggest that your spouse take out some extra insurance on your ass?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #9
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepOnIt View Post
We had two 690s and a 640 for the last one. As for fuel I had the safari tank and the other 690 had a aux tank on the rear. Will be selling the safari tank (maybe) with or with out the bike.

Oh ya good lights are a must because it takes 16-19 hours to do, start is 4am.
Did you need the extra fuel or was it a convenience vs a need? +1 the lights. Running the night section on the Rockhound with a stock 690 light was...exciting?
Old 01-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #10
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Crap date... don't get back from wainright until the 19th...
Return date fixed in stone? My whole schedule is up in the air, not entirely sure I'll be able to do this rally but I'm going to plan for it, short of being posted out of the area I hope I can make it work. Hope being a COA at this point
Old 01-15-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Jbone11 11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
You can get away without a support vehicle, but you're just making an already tough event that much harder on yourself. Having your truck there with fuel and food and spares and water for your camelbak and so many other little things make all the difference.

There's a couple of guys here that did it on 950s, maybe they'll talk about what that took.

Remember: this route uses part of the Cord and the Rock Hound. If you don't know what those are and what that means and still enter, might I suggest that your spouse take out some extra insurance on your ass?
I ride with a bunch of KLR owners…. they tend to take their bikes…and me…to places most 950/990 owners would shudder to think about. Basically if it looks impossible….these guys want to take a crack at it….within reason of course.
But yeah, I know I’ll have my work cut out for me on the bigger bike…that’s why I’ve incorporate deadlifting cattle into my weekly routine ;)
Old 01-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 44,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
I ride with a bunch of KLR owners…. they tend to take their bikes…and me…to places most 950/990 owners would shudder to think about. Basically if it looks impossible….these guys want to take a crack at it….within reason of course.
But yeah, I know I’ll have my work cut out for me on the bigger bike…that’s why I’ve incorporate deadlifting cattle into my weekly routine ;)

Have fun.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,581
Hats off to the guys running it on 950's.

Personally, I just don't think it would be fun. There's some pretty technical sections and lots of mud, logs, holes, etc., and wrestling a 950 through that is clearly possible, but to me, sounds like a backbreaking misery of a day. Some folks seem to like it though, so if that sounds like your idea of fun, go for it!

The first year I ran Dacre the extra fuel range wasn't a necessity but it was a major asset because you could skip optional fuel stops. The last edition they had mandatory service stops for everyone and fuel range was not nearly as big an issue. In fact the big tank that I ran probably was too much. I am not sure what the route will shake out like this year, of course.

Lighting is not a big problem. The first section is dark but sunrise happens a couple hours after leaving, and there's the occasional fun section in the dark but nothing like Rockhound.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Last time

The last time they said there were random checkpoints that you must stop at (gas station) and did not tell you what ones they were. So you had to go to the station but you might not need to stop if you had the extra fuel.
Country doc.. Well as for lights some of us are not as fast as you and ended up riding after dark . I found with my stock shit90 bulb I had a hard time seeing the corners up a head lol.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #15
Jbone11 11 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well..the 990 is what I got...so Im running it. Anyone remember what the first day was like? Is it mainly arrival and registration or do you start the ride on the very first day....someone had mentioned a 4AM start?