User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
The Alps and the lakes - again.

This was going to be a team rrr ride again, at little different this time though, as Kox couldn't go at the same time as the rest of us.
We took Morten in as a substitute, and that turned out to be a good idea.
We had made the basic plans for the trip in march/april and ordered the tickets for the auto-train.
Due to changes in my family life over the summer, I had to cancel the trip as I couldn't leave my son Nikolai behind. There was nobody to look after him when I was away. Thankfully the rest af the guys said that I could take Nikolai along, so we ended up being 4˝ men on tour
Originally the plan was to do as many passes in the Alps as possible, but the weather wasn't quite with us, so we had to make detours to look for the good weather.
Don't worry though, we had a brilliant ride, mostly in Italy, and did get some Alp passes as well.
Here's a few teasers from the ride.

panzerrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
hatschky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I´m in.

I like your Ride Reports
hatschky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Charles, Morten, Nikolai and I met up in Copenhagen and hauled down to the ferry to Germany where we met up with Tom.
In Hamburg we went to a Louis Gigastore, to check out some motorcycle gear.

When we were finished browsing the store, we had a coke and ziggy before moving on.

We arrived at the Altona train station in Hamburg and checked in on the train. It was the first time for the other guys to try the train. Nikolai and I are regular guests on the train, as Nikolai is too young to blast down the autobahn for 8 hours, and frankly, I can't be asked to do the long haul through Germany anymore. The autobahns are boring and uninspiring. Of course we could have taken the country roads through Germany, but our goal was to spend as much time in the Alps as possible, and therefore we wouldn't spend 2-3 days of riding through Germany on country roads.

The train station was packed with bikes that friday night. I've never seen so many bikes there before. There must have been at least 50 bikes going on 3 different trains

At last we got our bikes on the train,

got our stuff in the cabin we had for ourselves, and bought some Thai take away and some beers.
After eating we had a few beers and talked about the trip coming up.
Here it's Morten and Tom.

Next morning we landed in the Southgerman town Lörrach just north of Basel in Switzerland.

Waiting to get the bikes off the train.

Finally we were ready to ride on. As you can see, we're a wonderful mix of bikes. Charles rides a Honda 600 RR, Morten a BMW 650 GS, Tom a Suzuki GSX 650, and Nikolai and I are on the BMW R 1200 RT.

The routes through the Alps was planned by Tom, and the first day should take us to the Grimsel pass in Switzerland.

It started out nice. We went through som beautiful towns.

We had lunch here with excellent views.
It's Charles with the Colgate smile, he's a good lad

Then we just got through one industrial area after another. The Alps was luring in the background, but we just kept passing all kinds of factories. As it was Tom who'd planned the route, it was of course his fault. In the end we started teasing him, saying that he'd googled all the industrial areas in Switzerland to make sure we got through them all.
From then on, Tom was our scapegoat. Whenever something went tits up, it was Tom's fault. Thankfully he's got broad shoulders and is always in a good mood, so he just smiled whenever we teased him with whatever it was, that was his fault

At last we reached some eye candy and passed the Vierwald stätter See in wonderful surroundings.

Stopping for a ziggy break, taking in the views.

At around 15.00 hours we started looking for a campsite. The first one we found wanted us to leave the bikes outside the campground, some 2-300 meters up a hill. Fuck that, we moved on. We found another one in the town Beckenried where we set up camp.

Making dinner enjoying ourselves, Nikolai took a picture of us. Charles on the far left, Tom no. 2 from the left, Morten no. 3, and finally me on the far right looking like a numbnut

Next day we was to start the mighty passes in the Alps, but little did we know of what was to come.

panzerrocket screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 10:09 AM
Old 09-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatschky View Post
I´m in.

I like your Ride Reports
Vielen dank hatschky, I'm glad to hear that
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
Thanks mate, more coming up now...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next morning we packed down the camp, and started looking for a place to get breakfast. We'd noticed that Switzerland was extremly expensive, but our breakfast was ridiculous. Coffee for 4, juice for Nikolai, and continental breakfast for Nikolai and me was 50 dollars. 50 fucking dollars!!! And it wasn't an uptown place, just an average cafe. The Swiss currency has gone up some 30% over the last years, and that hurts... We all agreed that the next days in Switzerland we'd keep low, not spending money on restaurants and the likes. Those problems got solved quickly though. The weather wasn't on our side as we started climbing the Grimsel pass.

It started lashing down, and the rivers was overflowing.

And it just got worse and worse. When the rain briefly stopped from time to time, we were riding in clouds with visibility down to aprox. 5 meters, making our pace something like 10-15 km/hr.

Grimsel pass in rainsuits...
Of course this was Tom's fault. He planned the route, he should have known about the weather. He took a lot of beating for that one

Low and threathining clouds.

We fought our way down the valley and up the Furka pass. The highlight here was to see the Rhone gletcher, the origin of the Rhone river in France, where so much good wine is made.
But Furka wasn't better. Weather was simply shit.

The sign in the background says, Furka pass, 2436 m above sea level... And look at us, it was freezing cold and Nikolai was fed up with the lousy weather. A bunch of miserable bastards...

We found some shelter and checked the weather forecast. Lashing down in the Alps 3-4 days ahead. Great!!! Time for an alternative plan. I suggested we checked out the weather at the Italian alpine lakes, Lago Lugano, Como, Lago d' Iseo and Lado d' Garda. The weather looked more promising there. It didn't take long to agree on ditching the plan of riding the Alps for now, and heading towards the lakes. We had one last look at Furka and the terrible weather before we hit the autobahn towards Italy.

We were all on par with Italy being the place, acceptable weather and humane prices. We had to get out of Switzerland. Lago d' Lugano was closest, so we jumped on the nearest autobahn and horsed towards the bordertown of Ponte Tresa in Italy. Thank God we took the autobahn. Damn it was raining. Lashing down. We were wet, soaked and miserable. I had a 7 year old kid on the back who was whining about the weather constantly. And I could understand him. But damn it would have been nice to just turn off the intercom. Of course I didn't, I tried to keep his mood up with us singing childrens songs and telling stories as we went along. Finally we crossed the border to Italy and the rain stopped
After some fucking around we found the hotel Stampa, where I with my limited italian vocabulary got us rooms at a good price
This pic is from the next morning, where the sky was blue

We got installed in our rooms and sat on the balcony with a beer, before dinner.
Yes I know, I still look like a bloody numbnut, Nikolai must be waiting for just the right moment... Pretty well done. He has a future as a proff photographer

We all felt the need for a treat, so dinner was in the hotel's restaurant.
They had excellent italian pizzas, pizzas to die for! Thin and crispy, without too much toppings.

Charles and I went for the full monty, a 3 dishes course. Lot's of fish.

Nikolai trying to show an octopus from his pizza.

But with a 7 years old 2 hours at a dinner table time can be a bit long. Thankfully Morten had some tricks up his sleave to keep Nikolai motivated. I wonder what the rest of the guests in the restaurant thought of us.

Not that I cared though, gotta keep the boy happy, right? I must say that all the guys was excellent at motivating Nikolai. They accepted him fully as a member of the pack, spent time with him and always had 5 minutes, or whatever it took, to keep him happy. Thanks for the effort

The revised map of the trip, escpaping the weather and searching for the sun.

panzerrocket screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 12:21 AM
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Next morning we sat on the balcony enjoying the views of the town.

The night before we'd made a route skirting around Lago d' Lugano towards Laco d' Como.

Ride of the day.

We went around the Lugano lake. A picture perfect place. I've spent a lot of summer vacations here, camping with my parents and my little sister. Brilliant area and flashbacks to a wonderful childhood. I'm trying to pass it on to my son. Seems to work. Didn't take much pic's, enjoyed the flow of the road and listning to Black Sabbath's latest album on the stereo. And for those of you who doesn't know my son and me, Nikolai want's rock on the stereo. Have tried childrens songs/music when we're on the bike. Doesn't work, he want rock & roll. Must have done something right in rasing him

Stopped for a coffee at a wonderful little cafe.

We crossed over and reached Lago d' Como.

Had a fantastic ride here along the shore, beautiful!!!

Had lunch with views to die for.

Just south of the town Bellágio we found a wonderful campsite. Stony, that sucked, but the location... Man I tell you, we were 10 meters from the water.

Nikolai had to go for a swim, while the rest of us enjoyed a beer.

It was a perfect place, sitting on the beach cooking our own dinner, just enjoying the views. We had a great evening.

panzerrocket screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 12:26 AM
Old 09-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
L21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
In June my wife and I were cold and wet too in Switzerland and also headed to the lakes on the Italian side of the Alps. what a difference the weather can be just a few miles to the south. Only 245 days till i can go back and ride my bike on those incredible roads. Until then your road report will have to do. Thanks
L21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
arctic wildchild
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Nice rr,
I live pretty close to ponte tresa where you have been, italian side
arctic wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
Luckybastard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Great pictures and a really enjoyable RR. I have been working with children for many years and I know that it can be tough sometimes to keep their mood up, but you seem to be a no. 1 dad in my book.
Love the route also, I have a lot of great memories of the places you visited. Plan to be covering the same roads in next august.

Waiting eagerly for the next instalment.

P.S. how was it for your buddy to be traveling on the CBR600? Cause I´m planning to do next years trip on a sportier bike, any tips?

Cheers!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
wow
amazing thread
incredible pizzas
I WANT THAT PIZZA with the OCTOPUS
thank you for taking us along on your fantastic journey
love the pictures and stories behind them

thank you for sharing with us
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L21 View Post
In June my wife and I were cold and wet too in Switzerland and also headed to the lakes on the Italian side of the Alps. what a difference the weather can be just a few miles to the south. Only 245 days till i can go back and ride my bike on those incredible roads. Until then your road report will have to do. Thanks
Hi L21.
Hopefully my report will keep your spirit up, dreaming about your next ride
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic wildchild View Post
Nice rr,
I live pretty close to ponte tresa where you have been, italian side
Thank you arctic wildchild.
You live in a very nice area, I love riding around there
Old 09-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
panzerrocket OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckybastard View Post
Great pictures and a really enjoyable RR. I have been working with children for many years and I know that it can be tough sometimes to keep their mood up, but you seem to be a no. 1 dad in my book.
Love the route also, I have a lot of great memories of the places you visited. Plan to be covering the same roads in next august.

Waiting eagerly for the next instalment.

P.S. how was it for your buddy to be traveling on the CBR600? Cause I´m planning to do next years trip on a sportier bike, any tips?

Cheers!
Thanks a lot Luckybastard, for your comment. I like the no. 1 dad
Charles did all right on the CBR600. Only problem was the limited luggage capacity.