Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
Oz-Strom OP
Still trying

Oddometer: 748
Transferring maps onto Montana

Help please. I have installed Tracks4Australia (free map set) on my laptop and I can view and use it in Basecamp. But how do I transfer the maps to the GPS without stuffing up the Garmin Topo maps?

I can't seem to work it out.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
The gmapsupp.img file is the map that gets written to the device or its SD card by using MapInstall.

On the Montana. you can rename the gmapsupp.img files to something more descriptive, keeping the .img extension. An example might be OZTopo24K.img. Then you can send another batch of maps to the device, renaming them, and repeating the process. The gmapsupp.img files reside in the 'Garmin' directories on the gps and the SDcard. There are other map image files installed in the 'Garmin' directory in the GPS's internal memory, but don't touch them.

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index...ic,2715.0.html (See Reply # 8)
http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Maps

Hope that helps!

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 07-23-2012 at 05:46 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
The gmapsupp.img file is the map that gets written to the device or its SD card by using MapInstall.

On the Montana. you can rename the gmapsupp.img files to something more descriptive, keeping the .img extension. An example might be OZTopo24K.img. Then you can send another batch of maps to the device, renaming them, and repeating the process. The gmapsupp.img files reside in the 'Garmin' directories on the gps and the SDcard. There are other map image files installed in the 'Garmin' directory in the GPS's internal memory, but don't touch them.

http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index...ic,2715.0.html (See Reply # 8)
http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Maps

Hope that helps!

daryl
I believe that the current version of MapInstall will use the name of the map as it is installed in BaseCamp when it is transferred to the Montana. But, if you are using a back-level version of MapInstall you can do as daryl suggests.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Oz-Strom OP
Still trying

Oddometer: 748
Thanks guys - mighty helpful
Old 07-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,986
Dumb question: Can SDC cards be moved among different GPS units?

I have been creating a lot of new mapsets lately for my 60cx. I found if I have the SDC card enabled from the unit that writing the maps to the unit goes quicker. But it still takes forever to create large mapsets.

Anyway when Mapsource is writing directly to the card, it doesn't seem to know anything about what type of unit the card is in.

This led me to pose the question in the title - Can SDC cards be moved among different GPS units?

Cause if they could this could be a way of getting around some problems we have.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have been creating a lot of new mapsets lately for my 60cx. I found if I have the SDC card enabled from the unit that writing the maps to the unit goes quicker. But it still takes forever to create large mapsets.

Anyway when Mapsource is writing directly to the card, it doesn't seem to know anything about what type of unit the card is in.

This led me to pose the question in the title - Can SDC cards be moved among different GPS units?

Cause if they could this could be a way of getting around some problems we have.
Yes, µSD Cards can be moved between Garmin GPS's. But, not all Garmin GPS's have the same requirements for Map File Naming. So, as long as you are sharing your maps between the same model of GPS no problem.

Oh, in case you're interested, BaseCamp and MapInstall DO understand what Model GPS and GPS/µSD Card combo they are sending data to and configure/name them appropriately.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Sorry if this is thread hijack, but I have a similar problem: I'm trying to transfer a map I got today to my unit, but it doesn't work. I got the European City Navigator on dvd, and installed it on my computer. When trying to load it onto my Montana 600, the MapInstall software gets stuck just before finishing. It's at 100%, but the only option for me is to abort, which obviously doesn't get me anywhere (even tried it once).

Anyone know what's wrong - am I just not waiting long enough?

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Another hijack. I just got my Montana yesterday. As a trial run I tried to install one City Navigator state map and about 20 Topo 100 tiles.

Only one of the mapsets seems to make it to the unit. I first tried it from Mapsource and only the topos made it (i.e. are in the map list on the unit). Then I tried it from MapInstall and only the CN New Mexico seems to have made it.

I am just getting started with this and generally like to try out options to fix problems. So I will keep playing with it.

One problem is that the Montana came before I had a chance to buy a microSD card. I plan to get one tomorrow. I am hoping that this might help some.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
Sorry if this is thread hijack, but I have a similar problem: I'm trying to transfer a map I got today to my unit, but it doesn't work. I got the European City Navigator on dvd, and installed it on my computer. When trying to load it onto my Montana 600, the MapInstall software gets stuck just before finishing. It's at 100%, but the only option for me is to abort, which obviously doesn't get me anywhere (even tried it once).

Anyone know what's wrong - am I just not waiting long enough?
Fugired it out - I was just too impatient! :

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Another hijack. I just got my Montana yesterday. As a trial run I tried to install one City Navigator state map and about 20 Topo 100 tiles.

Only one of the mapsets seems to make it to the unit. I first tried it from Mapsource and only the topos made it (i.e. are in the map list on the unit). Then I tried it from MapInstall and only the CN New Mexico seems to have made it.

I am just getting started with this and generally like to try out options to fix problems. So I will keep playing with it.

One problem is that the Montana came before I had a chance to buy a microSD card. I plan to get one tomorrow. I am hoping that this might help some.
Not sure if you were trying to install all these all at ONCE, or one at a time. If one at a time, Mapsuource will only create a gmapsupp.img file. So each map load via Mapsource will overwrite any other maps (or gmapsupp.img to be accurate).

I think you should carefully ready Posts #2 and #3 in this thread.

Probably too late to say, but be careful as you may overwrite some of your original maps.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:

I was pulling my hair out today doing the same thing, trying to load maps using Mapsource. For some reason Mapsource will only load tracks to my Montana, but will not load map sets. I had to upgrade Basecamp with the latest software, and then load the maps from Basecamp. I do not have a microSD card in mine either so I cannot load a "full" map, so I had to click the "partial/advanced" button to pick and choose which tiles to load. After that the maps loaded on the first try.
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

I didn't think BaseCamp would load maps. I thought you had to use MapInstall.

I have been fighting this since I got my new unit a week ago. I have found ways to install the maps I want onto the unit, but it is really complicated.

I know I did it once. But I just cannot get MapInstall to install 100k Topos anymore. I ended up using Mapsource to do it. Mapsource put them in the gmapsupp.img file in internal memory. I found I could move this file to the SD card and I renamed it US Topos - West and this works.

My theory is that I changed some of the routing options in the unit and MapInstall now thinks the unit will not handle nonroutable maps.

I successfully got MapInstall to install a small test case of combined City Navigator and 24k Topos SW. I felt like I needed to hide my 100k topos from MapInstall, so I moved the file and renamed it xxxx.yyy.

I tried to do an install of all of CN and all of 24k Topos SW last night and MapInstall hung at about the 75% mark in "creating map files". So I redid it and just did all of CN. This worked.

I think now I am just going to use Mapsource to install a subset of 24k Topos SW that will do me for the forseeable future. I will do the moving and renaming business again.

I have been playing around a lot and have not completely documented everything I have tried. MapInstall goes out and looks at what maps are installed. In the Custom window it gives you the option of "leaving a set as is". But I think leaving as is means that it tries to recreate the set when you go to the next/Install window. It would be nice if it would just leave the file on the unit alone in this case. I could easily be FOS on this.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
srad600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
I didn't think BaseCamp would load maps. I thought you had to use MapInstall.
Essentially yes, you will use Mapinstall, but you start out in basecamp with your map selections and then tell it what you want to transfer to the device and it opens mapinstall to complete the transfer. See the link below for a better description (video #4) of the process. I tried it and it worked perfectly, I just needed to use the partial/advanced install since I'm only using internal memory right now.

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/tutori...llingmaps.html
srad600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm. I have been running MapInstall standalone by selecting the .exe file out of my Garmin programs directory. Even have a shortcut for it.

I think I am pretty well set with my mapsets for a while. But I will try to remember to do this next time I need to install maps.