Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Oddometer: 161
Team 690 on the APC (going round oz till we're dizzy)

Well we have been readying for the APC rally for months. The Internet shopping is slowing down and the bikes are assembled and covered in tanks and bags. We are starting at Woodenbong 2 hours SW of Brisvegas and heading to the Simpson desert the down to SA across VIC and back through NSW mostly offroad. Total distance 7500 kms over 14 days for about 550 km a day.

We headed out for a last minute shake down.

We head out on Friday 27 July and will post when possible.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Best of luck.....looking forward to hearing how the 690 works for you.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
nice ktm
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Thanks for the encouragement. Still things to finish off. 1 more day to go. I am still waiting on a spare air cleaner, warm gloves and balaclava. We are running sena blue tooth gear which we have found to be great but which still has some setup to learn about.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Woodenbong

Set off at 4 to arrive at 6. Last minute shop on the way to get micro SD for the cam. Nice sunset and twisty range before he town and thn settle in to bundy, steak and chips. Very civilized. It started to get colder up in the hills. Tomorrow is scrutineering and the start. Up at 6.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

Eek D1 to Goondiwindi

An early cold start fighting with zippers. I found my two smallest fingers on each hand would't work properly. I thought that my new gloves were stiff until I took them off and the fingers were the same. Fuel up.

Ride 10 k to the start at urbanville.

Great views.

Ready to roll.

Along with a few others.

Follow the pink line on the gps.

Across the falls and dodge the press and groupies.

More crossings on the way to Tenterfield.

Big rocks along the Rocky river. What else would you expect.

Another find for my collection of old buildings.

And another but a church.

On the way to Emmaville which we found was an attractive little town lost in time. We stopped off to look at the abandoned Arsenic mine.

Another dwelling that has seen better times.

Arrived at Goondiwindi at 5.30 having made 530km. What does that mean. The Victoria hotel agreed to put us up for 52 per room and the bikes got ridden into a vacant shop and locked up. A super hot shower, super large Tbone steak, drinks and do it again tomorrow. People are talking about making charleville but that's 800 k. Have to wait and see. Bollon is about 500k. A bit too few kms.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
ABuck99

Oddometer: 439
Good Luck on the Journey!
Old 07-29-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

D2 Charlevile 800km

The roudy football fans singing into the night didn't keep us from sleeping and we were up at 6 bikes extracted from the shop/lockup and fueled and away by 7.

We turned off trying not to get giddy.

Animal encounters we're frequent.

We rocked up to the Ningilly pub after 200k but it was shut.

So was the bridge over the moonie river.

In oz a moonie is someone showing bare buttocks.

but the express lane was open and welcome after drinks the night before.

A few more bikes turned up and the place was crowded and we left.

The trail took us past Cubby station and black soil roads.

Somewhere in front of a servo I found that I had a bent brake pad and had to a padoctomy. It was successful as luckily I had the old pads that I had taken out to put in the nice new ones that promptly bent. A lesson there.

Through lots of gates and track.

Where you learn good gate manners. First one there gets stuck with the gate. Closing that is.

And arrived at Charleville at 6 right on dark. There was talk of camping and some did but we didn't and found a comfortable pub. Steve found his expensive aftermarket gear lever wasn't,t a gear shift any more and after making calls all around the country looking for a replacement found that the person next to him had one. So it was duly fitted and we retired to the bar to discuss animal encounters. For me it was eagles, flying backwards to my helmet until I braked. A flock of pigeons that exploded around me, a roo that raced me and then skidded out of the way (I won that one) and a emu that knew he was beat and beat a retreat squeezing through the fence. What will tomorrow bring.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #9
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

D3 to Thargo and a Bit

Set off from Charlaville.

All geared up, chain lubed, zips zipped, gloves helmet, spot on, then worked out we should get food. Rode round the corner to the bakery and had Coffee and donuts and with the added energy we were off.

Came across this rock that recorded that the first flight that was made to aust by the smith brothers landed here in a biplane bomber. Adventurers crossing paths.

Modern conveniences by the road.

Your mind wanders on the ride I began to see these signs as set up for riders.

Lots of nothing at times.

And then the Adavale pub. The question I have is why. And they have a surf club.

A station called maybe. Another was called whynot.

Some of the riding was easy and fast and fun.

For the guys that missed the donnuts this was breakfast at about 12.

Smiles all round at Quilpie.

We started looking for a place to stay. Cheap?

We stopped at one of the guys who's 640 had quit. Andy later towed him in and he was out. Bummer.

We made it to the river crossing and I talked to Steve on the intercom to make a splash but I could tell he wasn't completely trusting and sure of the depth.

Got to Thargaminda at about 4. Some of the last of the track was smooth and brilliant. Stopped at the hot bore where the water pressure was used to generate power.

We bought some basic provisions, rum, coke, salami, mandarin, (there wasn't a huge choise) and we went on to gain a few more kms and camp. On at a gate opening met up with Stuart and Rod and found a low cost spot by the road with fuel and space. Fine and dandy. Stuart and Rod were old hands and came chairs with there names monogrammed on the back. We on the otherhand fought with our camping gear until it submitted and we had comfortable accomodation.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

D4 Innaminka

Broke camp well before sunup. *Stuart's idea to save getting dew on the tent.

Stuarts f800 showed on its dial that the temperature rose to 1 degree at daybreak.

Bulloo downs.

off cross country over earth manipulated by cattle houves.

We followed an obvious track along a fence line that ended up at a river. *Backtracking we found the correct track slightly further away.

The track took us across swampy ground that every so often had holes designed to swallow up a bike front wheel.

One mud hole did swallow up a 990 up to the tank and threw its rider. Both survived.

A deviation on the GPS route took us out in virgin bush and back along a faint outline of a track. We got lost up a dry gully that turned wet and eventally found our way back to an open track.

Signage in the bush.

3 dingos looked us over at one of the gates as if we were to fall they would clean us up.

The scenery was spectacular in places with big views.

We came out onto the road to Cameron's corner where the road got sandy and red.

Taking time to stop to smell the roses (or other yellow substitutes).

Cameron's corner where we got into a bit of a state.

Well actually 3 states, Qld, SA, and nsw all at once.

A stopped bus rather than a bus stop. Why or what for I don't know.

We stopped in front on an oil pump. *There were lots of them. *The brand was Lufkin which we know for making tape measures. *Wonder which came first the pumps or tapes or did they make the tapes to help make the pumps.

The geothermal drill rig was next to the road so another photo op. 4 km down is where the action was happening.

On to Ina. Big views.

In inaminka we fueled and did a lightning fix to Steve's muffler. *At the trading post we were able to get some sheet cut it to size, bent in the vice and pop rivet over epoxy all in the space of 15 mins before closing. *

Luckily we got fuel before it was shut others did't and were stuck waiting in the morning till opening.

We also got beer and good steak.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #11
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

D5 The Rocks and the Simpson Sand Hills

Packed and away at 7 and left Ina. *

The road was easy at first, crossed the river at foot peg depth and then deterorated into sand.*

A little close inspection of the line.

Ron and his team racing past.

Closer to the inland sea.

Quick action averted the hole.

The rocks rattled us physically and mentally. *You had to constantly work to miss jagged teeth wanting to take a bite of your tyres.

Rock, rocks, rockies and more as far as you could see.

My rally raid bash plate rattled itself apart and had to be modded with high performance accessories.

By the end of the track we pulled up and felt ruined at this ruin.

We made the remote fuel stop and then onto birdsville only stopping at the bakery to eat pies. Great pies but a long way to go to get them.

A photo op in front of big red.

Big red and all the other reds. *We headed off to give Steve his first lessons in sand riding.

It was hard bit after much perseverance we made the course turning point.

ready for camping and so we set up.

Simpson sunset

We set up camp at the park sign and were standing by the fire about to go to bed when we heard strange sounds. Lions possibly. *Nothing to be be seen then again. *WTF. *They were getting loader. A flock of bloody camels that seemed to think they should be where we were. *I walked out and in the dark I could see 20 or so. Maybe there were hundreds. *Do they attack or drop like drop bears. *Camels after dark what next and would they walk on us in the night.*
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,255
Following with interest!

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Great stuff, wish I was out there with you!
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #14
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

D6 The Birdsville Track

Broke camp and headed back accross the 60 dunes ( I counted them on the way).

As we got closer to big red the morning riders started coming till we met the group waiting in the traffic jam. We also saw a spectacular high side on a red F800. Jeff I think was the culprit.

We set off to tackle big red on the origional line. You can't follow the origional track because on the birdsvilles side of big red it's a lake.

We crested and took the victory photos.

We then burned back to Birdsville, fuel, pies at the bakery ( great pies but a long way to go to get them) and set off down the track.

A long way great scenery but over and over again. To break the monotony Steve ran into a cow. No photo's but the sign tells you what you have to do.

Steve went over the bars got battered and bruised but luckily the bike was ok and he rode it the 70 k into Maree. I think I noticed the bull on the way past with an evil glint in its eye.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
excTC OP
Carbon Ktm lifeform

D7 Hawker Flinders and Tyres

We had a late start out of Marree with first Steve pulled apart his bars and tightened up to remove the bull damage. All the gear on then well do I need a toilet stop. At least they had one on the way.

We were up a dry creek until we did another fix on Steve's pipe which blew out again.

This time a thicker piece of ally and some hose clamps. Noise abated and more better was that the petrol tank next to the pipe wasn't getting hot.

Next a turn left to the flinders ranges.

Blinman for a quick look at the old copper mine and a coffee stop.

Can't help but stop to look at a bit of mechanical gear. This was a grader drawn by trucks or probably even bullocks. I remember that our family business had a similar one.

Epic photo shoot from the lookout. As you would expect my new ion helmet camera decided to play up as soon as the best stuff came along. I managed to get it partially working by finding a bit telephone wire on the side of the road and using that to reset it. Proves you can fix anything with a bit of wire even camera firmware.

Gourgous gorges.

Out of the ranges the track took us along the service road of the ghan railway with 200 or so gates. It was coming on the end of the day but the riding was spectacular with no civilization and the backdrop of the ranges.

Long shadows

It was dark when we arrived at hawker both with fuel lights on and then pulled up in the street for orientation only to find chris's tyre shop full of DR brothers fixing every thing.

We also managed to fuel up get on new tyres find a room, clean aircleaners, oil chains, change brake pads and have beers and a steak all before 11.

Needless to say the thread did not get done.