User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,522
Tablets and Wi Fi-School me

Pretend I'm 12 years old and explain tablets, Wi Fi, and hotspots to me. Because sometimes I just don't get it.

In fact, my wife, who couldn't find the dentist office without a GPS, even when she'd been there before (and is 4 miles from home), set up our router last night because I didn't know how.

It was used as a switch only, and she wanted to use her HP Netbook but it doesn't have a LAN cable connection, so we put the antennae back on and are using it as a wireless router now. So, she set it up (as a WEP but I ended up making it WPA2).

ANYWAY, went to Best Buy last night. My mom, wife, and I met for dinner then followed my mom to Best Buy. So, while waiting for her to shop Kari and I looked at tablets. But I am confused.

The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is the one I looked at. It has the Verizon or Sprint Hotspot available.

I know I can tether my phone (using a Hot Spot app). My phone receives 3G, converts it to a Wi Fi signal and I can connect my PC or laptop to it.

But tablets don't use a broadband connection, correct? The tablet WITHOUT a contract is Wi Fi only, as in I can use it only where Wi Fi is available.

The tablet WITH a 2-year Verizon or Sprint contract allows it to act as a hotspot so I can connect other devices to it. Does this mean if I get one with a contract it uses Verizon's or Sprint's 4G network to act like my phone currently does?

I'm confused.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Pretend I'm 12 years old and explain tablets, Wi Fi, and hotspots to me. Because sometimes I just don't get it.

In fact, my wife, who couldn't find the dentist office without a GPS, even when she'd been there before (and is 4 miles from home), set up our router last night because I didn't know how.

It was used as a switch only, and she wanted to use her HP Netbook but it doesn't have a LAN cable connection, so we put the antennae back on and are using it as a wireless router now. So, she set it up (as a WEP but I ended up making it WPA2).

ANYWAY, went to Best Buy last night. My mom, wife, and I met for dinner then followed my mom to Best Buy. So, while waiting for her to shop Kari and I looked at tablets. But I am confused.

The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is the one I looked at. It has the Verizon or Sprint Hotspot available.

I know I can tether my phone (using a Hot Spot app). My phone receives 3G, converts it to a Wi Fi signal and I can connect my PC or laptop to it.

But tablets don't use a broadband connection, correct? The tablet WITHOUT a contract is Wi Fi only, as in I can use it only where Wi Fi is available.

The tablet WITH a 2-year Verizon or Sprint contract allows it to act as a hotspot so I can connect other devices to it. Does this mean if I get one with a contract it uses Verizon's or Sprint's 4G network to act like my phone currently does?

I'm confused.
Yes, but be careful since they have data caps and going over is big $$$$, what you want to do is use WIFI whenever possible.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Thanks! I broke down and bought an Asus Transformer Infinity
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
I got the Samsung note tablet last week and really like it. My other option was the Asus, but the stylus on the note is what sold me.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,524
Quote:
Thanks! I broke down and bought an Asus Transformer Infinity
I've had one of the early transformers for a year. Typing and editing under android is still not flawless but I'm very pleased with the tablet on the whole.

Angry Birds.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
LATJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:

I tether my Toshiba Thrive tablet off my Verizon phone almost exclusively... Piece of cake. I installed FoxFi to the phone and it transmits as a regular wireless signal. You give it a name, and a password. Turn the wireless on the tablet and when it runs a scan it will pick the FoxFi signal up as a wireless network... You can also use PDAnet and tether over bluetooth.

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
DakarNick OP
Swabee

Thanks guys. I bought it without the Hot Spot option for now. I don't need it now but may in the future.

Love it so far! I like the screen resolution, flash camera, and HDMI port.

I looked at the Note but the above items sold me. The stylus is cool but not a requirement as of now.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Love it so far! I like the screen resolution, flash camera, and HDMI port.

I looked at the Note but the above items sold me. The stylus is cool but not a requirement as of now.
I understand you completely. Trust me, it was very close for me. However, I am a student and the ability to download my Professor's powerpoints before class, and then take notes directly on the digital copy on my tablet with the stylus is beyond awesome. If it wasn't for that one feature, I probably would have bought the Asus. The ability to run the multiwindow on the tablet is not really that big of a deal to me, and doesn't work as well as one would think, or at least I haven't found a use for it yet.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Hedge36
Chasing parts.

Oddometer: 44,181
I'll send you my number, doofus.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:

I'm confused.
Yes, it'd act like your phone in terms of hotspotting...including the part about taking money out of your wallet. Weighing the cost/benefits there...I'm not convinced alot of folks would find it to be the "right" device to turn into a hotspot, since it's not always going to be on you. But then again, it's a much larger battery you can run the LTE radio from, so it'd last longer. So it's a trade off of duration vs. portability.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
DakarNick OP
Swabee

I don't know why I was so confused but it's all cleared up now. I have wireless at home, at work, and can find it hundreds of other places so I am good for now!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 768
having a full size usb port is fantastic. that is why i went with an acer.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: