ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
DakarNick OP
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,522
Tablets and Wi Fi-School me

Pretend I'm 12 years old and explain tablets, Wi Fi, and hotspots to me. Because sometimes I just don't get it.

In fact, my wife, who couldn't find the dentist office without a GPS, even when she'd been there before (and is 4 miles from home), set up our router last night because I didn't know how.

It was used as a switch only, and she wanted to use her HP Netbook but it doesn't have a LAN cable connection, so we put the antennae back on and are using it as a wireless router now. So, she set it up (as a WEP but I ended up making it WPA2).

ANYWAY, went to Best Buy last night. My mom, wife, and I met for dinner then followed my mom to Best Buy. So, while waiting for her to shop Kari and I looked at tablets. But I am confused.

The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is the one I looked at. It has the Verizon or Sprint Hotspot available.

I know I can tether my phone (using a Hot Spot app). My phone receives 3G, converts it to a Wi Fi signal and I can connect my PC or laptop to it.

But tablets don't use a broadband connection, correct? The tablet WITHOUT a contract is Wi Fi only, as in I can use it only where Wi Fi is available.

The tablet WITH a 2-year Verizon or Sprint contract allows it to act as a hotspot so I can connect other devices to it. Does this mean if I get one with a contract it uses Verizon's or Sprint's 4G network to act like my phone currently does?

I'm confused.
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
Must be part of your super-secret double-naught spy work with your low-level FEMA clearance and (snicker) Texas Security License, yes?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer
 
NikonsAndVStroms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: The Hub of the Universe
Oddometer: 37,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Pretend I'm 12 years old and explain tablets, Wi Fi, and hotspots to me. Because sometimes I just don't get it.

In fact, my wife, who couldn't find the dentist office without a GPS, even when she'd been there before (and is 4 miles from home), set up our router last night because I didn't know how.

It was used as a switch only, and she wanted to use her HP Netbook but it doesn't have a LAN cable connection, so we put the antennae back on and are using it as a wireless router now. So, she set it up (as a WEP but I ended up making it WPA2).

ANYWAY, went to Best Buy last night. My mom, wife, and I met for dinner then followed my mom to Best Buy. So, while waiting for her to shop Kari and I looked at tablets. But I am confused.

The Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is the one I looked at. It has the Verizon or Sprint Hotspot available.

I know I can tether my phone (using a Hot Spot app). My phone receives 3G, converts it to a Wi Fi signal and I can connect my PC or laptop to it.

But tablets don't use a broadband connection, correct? The tablet WITHOUT a contract is Wi Fi only, as in I can use it only where Wi Fi is available.

The tablet WITH a 2-year Verizon or Sprint contract allows it to act as a hotspot so I can connect other devices to it. Does this mean if I get one with a contract it uses Verizon's or Sprint's 4G network to act like my phone currently does?

I'm confused.
Yes, but be careful since they have data caps and going over is big $$$$, what you want to do is use WIFI whenever possible.
__________________
Motorcycles save lives


"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
DakarNick OP
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,522
Thanks! I broke down and bought an Asus Transformer Infinity
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
Must be part of your super-secret double-naught spy work with your low-level FEMA clearance and (snicker) Texas Security License, yes?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #4
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,438
I got the Samsung note tablet last week and really like it. My other option was the Asus, but the stylus on the note is what sold me.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Bongolia
stop acting
 
Bongolia's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Oddometer: 16,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Thanks! I broke down and bought an Asus Transformer Infinity
I've had one of the early transformers for a year. Typing and editing under android is still not flawless but I'm very pleased with the tablet on the whole.

Angry Birds.
__________________
A Pariah on the farm
Bongolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
LATJ
Studly Adventurer
 
LATJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Central Indiana
Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I know I can tether my phone (using a Hot Spot app). My phone receives 3G, converts it to a Wi Fi signal and I can connect my PC or laptop to it.

But tablets don't use a broadband connection, correct? The tablet WITHOUT a contract is Wi Fi only, as in I can use it only where Wi Fi is available.
I tether my Toshiba Thrive tablet off my Verizon phone almost exclusively... Piece of cake. I installed FoxFi to the phone and it transmits as a regular wireless signal. You give it a name, and a password. Turn the wireless on the tablet and when it runs a scan it will pick the FoxFi signal up as a wireless network... You can also use PDAnet and tether over bluetooth.
__________________
Shielded by the power of my intense disinterest

Save 5 bucks when signing up for SmugMug. Enter coupon code: hgeNbdcSOWAXM
LATJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
DakarNick OP
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,522
Thanks guys. I bought it without the Hot Spot option for now. I don't need it now but may in the future.

Love it so far! I like the screen resolution, flash camera, and HDMI port.

I looked at the Note but the above items sold me. The stylus is cool but not a requirement as of now.
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
Must be part of your super-secret double-naught spy work with your low-level FEMA clearance and (snicker) Texas Security License, yes?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Love it so far! I like the screen resolution, flash camera, and HDMI port.

I looked at the Note but the above items sold me. The stylus is cool but not a requirement as of now.
I understand you completely. Trust me, it was very close for me. However, I am a student and the ability to download my Professor's powerpoints before class, and then take notes directly on the digital copy on my tablet with the stylus is beyond awesome. If it wasn't for that one feature, I probably would have bought the Asus. The ability to run the multiwindow on the tablet is not really that big of a deal to me, and doesn't work as well as one would think, or at least I haven't found a use for it yet.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
Hedge36
Chasing parts.
 
Hedge36's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Anacortes, WA
Oddometer: 44,181
I'll send you my number, doofus.
Hedge36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2005
Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
The tablet WITH a 2-year Verizon or Sprint contract allows it to act as a hotspot so I can connect other devices to it. Does this mean if I get one with a contract it uses Verizon's or Sprint's 4G network to act like my phone currently does?

I'm confused.
Yes, it'd act like your phone in terms of hotspotting...including the part about taking money out of your wallet. Weighing the cost/benefits there...I'm not convinced alot of folks would find it to be the "right" device to turn into a hotspot, since it's not always going to be on you. But then again, it's a much larger battery you can run the LTE radio from, so it'd last longer. So it's a trade off of duration vs. portability.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
DakarNick OP
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,522
I don't know why I was so confused but it's all cleared up now. I have wireless at home, at work, and can find it hundreds of other places so I am good for now!
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
Must be part of your super-secret double-naught spy work with your low-level FEMA clearance and (snicker) Texas Security License, yes?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
seuadr
Wee-stromer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids,mi
Oddometer: 768
having a full size usb port is fantastic. that is why i went with an acer.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014