Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
Rdub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Oli-San - Nice pics...nice bike! If you haven't already done so, head over to the Two Wheeled Texans site for more local rides/events in Texas.

Link is: www.twtex.com
Old 08-02-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Oli-San OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scottsman View Post
Err, I can't tell how big that spider is. It seems to be covering the silver dollar you threw down.

It was big enough to stay outside (and not in my tent!)..
Old 08-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
Oli-San OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub View Post
Oli-San - Nice pics...nice bike! If you haven't already done so, head over to the Two Wheeled Texans site for more local rides/events in Texas.

Link is: www.twtex.com
Thanks for the info I will look it up!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 133
If you check out twtex.com under upcoming rides you will see the EastTex 450 coming up in October. It's riding 3 major national forest for 3 days. Very close for you and many ADV'ers from the Houston area make this annual ride.

The three sisters are my back yard. Great riding!

Timbercat
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Oli-San OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post
If you check out twtex.com under upcoming rides you will see the EastTex 450 coming up in October. It's riding 3 major national forest for 3 days. Very close for you and many ADV'ers from the Houston area make this annual ride.

The three sisters are my back yard. Great riding!

Timbercat
Cool! I will look it up. Is your tiger while? If so, I think I saw you going back to Leakey.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 408
Thumb The Hill Country

Great RR! I did the Three Sisters ride over Labor Day weekend last year, and this year my friends and I will do it during that holiday weekend once again.

It was great seeing your pictures of some of the very places we stopped. Did you get a chance to stop at the motorcycle museum? The ride was excellent, and the time spent bonding over a few beers and good stories at night was equally as good.

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #22
timbercat
Texas ADV Rider

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
Cool! I will look it up. Is your tiger while? If so, I think I saw you going back to Leakey.
It is white and I did gas up in Leakey. Wish you had stopped. They have some of the very best ice cream. Yummmmmmm.

Timbercat
http://tinyurl.com/timbercat-spot
Texas to Georgia to Texas to Washington State to Texas. (15 States) - June 2013
timbercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #23
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbercat View Post
It is white and I did gas up in Leakey. Wish you had stopped. They have some of the very best ice cream. Yummmmmmm.

Timbercat
So are we going back to the Sisters Saturday? Or are you going with Sander? Decisions, decisions! The Sisters ride will be boring as it will be a 'stop often and shoot' event (you've been there.....) I'll be shooting some of the same places seen on this thread, hope I can do as good a job.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #24
Oli-San OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguerin77 View Post
Great RR! I did the Three Sisters ride over Labor Day weekend last year, and this year my friends and I will do it during that holiday weekend once again.

It was great seeing your pictures of some of the very places we stopped. Did you get a chance to stop at the motorcycle museum? The ride was excellent, and the time spent bonding over a few beers and good stories at night was equally as good.

Thanks! Enjoy the labor day ride. I didn't stop at the museum because time was lacking.
I ended up riding 1100 miles from Friday night to Sunday night.
Not quite as hardcore as the iron butt guys but still it was long days in the saddle!
For labor day weekend I'm thinking of Big Bend National Park...which is quite far.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #25
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
My question is what temperature is it just to hot to tour?
I live and commute in Houston and it will be 106 heat index and that is actually ok for about 35 mins even in stop and go traffic.
But all day? even if constantly moving? I am not sure. My gut tells me it would be fine as long as I drink plenty of water and sunscreen. Water because even though the wind makes me 'feel' less hot I am still sweating.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #26
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,127
Lobo is about 15 miles south of Van Horn... don't blink... http://goo.gl/maps/WP2Pg

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #27
Oli-San OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
My question is what temperature is it just to hot to tour?
I live and commute in Houston and it will be 106 heat index and that is actually ok for about 35 mins even in stop and go traffic.
But all day? even if constantly moving? I am not sure. My gut tells me it would be fine as long as I drink plenty of water and sunscreen. Water because even though the wind makes me 'feel' less hot I am still sweating.
We all respond differently to high temperatures. As you can see by the pics in this thread, I wear gear no matter what. For my jacket, I prefer leather and even if it is a perforated summer leather, it feels warm when ambient is at 95 deg F and more, even when moving because of the screen on the bike. Also, I always wear a full face helmet, which unfortunately keeps me toasty too. Same for riding pants and boots.. But that's my choice on safety. When it is hot like that weekend and I am sure the coming labor day weekend, I still ride all day but I stop every hour or so to re-hydrate. I drink a lot of water and sports drinks.
I'm glad all my gear as washable liners because.. yea... I sweat in these!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #28
Oli-San OP
Adventurer

Labor Day Weekend

For the labor day weekend, I would like to take advantage of the holiday and go for a three day ride.
I am based in Orange TX, so I can envision something within 10 to 12 hours away.

I was thinking of Big Bend National Park, camp and hike there. But the road to get there seems straight and boring.
Any suggestions?
Old 08-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #29
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
For the labor day weekend, I would like to take advantage of the holiday and go for a three day ride.
I am based in Orange TX, so I can envision something within 10 to 12 hours away.

I was thinking of Big Bend National Park, camp and hike there. But the road to get there seems straight and boring.
Any suggestions?
From Orange I would think the Ozarks up north would be nice. I might be going to from Houston to Tulsa but that is more of a family memory lane kind of thing.

double checked the map and yes, from Orange I think go north until you hit the ozark mountains. Looks like there is plenty of forest on the way too.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Rodeojones
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I love the Texas Hill Country. I really enjoyed the read...thanks for sharing.
Rodeojones is offline   Reply With Quote