ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
txplants
Pastafarian
 
txplants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 209
I just returned frim Big Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
For the labor day weekend, I would like to take advantage of the holiday and go for a three day ride.
I am based in Orange TX, so I can envision something within 10 to 12 hours away.

I was thinking of Big Bend National Park, camp and hike there. But the road to get there seems straight and boring.
Any suggestions?
From Houston to Del Rio... yes, a little boring. But, I think Hwy 90 between Comstock and Marathon is one of the most scenic rides in Texas. Wide open vistas and great roads. Turn south on 385 in Marathon towards the park and prepare for pure joy! I just returned from four days at Big Bend, my second trip out there in less than a year.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #32
35xj
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: asheville, nc
Oddometer: 859
cool report. im riding through that general area in january on my way from nc to ca.

What should i look at, where else should i go? Generally looking for a good set of secondary/dirt roads across south/middle tx
35xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #33
Valley
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Virginia
Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
Too bad I don't have much more time to enjoy rides.
To quote a wise man I met once, "My motorcycle has 140,000 miles. Some years I ride 500 miles. Some years I ride 15,000 miles. But that's life."

Point being... Enjoy the rides you do make.
Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #34
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
From Houston to Del Rio... yes, a little boring. But, I think Hwy 90 between Comstock and Marathon is one of the most scenic rides in Texas. Wide open vistas and great roads. Turn south on 385 in Marathon towards the park and prepare for pure joy! I just returned from four days at Big Bend, my second trip out there in less than a year.
Thanks! I think I will go there and camp in Big Bend park (Chisos Basin if I can). Did you ride dirt roads in the park or just on the pavement? I think I might hike there too.
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
txplants
Pastafarian
 
txplants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
Thanks! I think I will go there and camp in Big Bend park (Chisos Basin if I can). Did you ride dirt roads in the park or just on the pavement? I think I might hike there too.
Hello, Oli-San. I'm on an R1200R, so I stayed on the pavement. I camped in the Chisos Basin campground for three nights (8/13-8/15); plenty of sites available. My goal was to get my riding fix on the way out there, and then hike and enjoy the geology, flora, and fauna in the park. I made two longer hikes; The Window Trail (the trailhead is located near site 51 in the Chisos Basin campground), and the Lost Mine Trail (the trailhead is just a short drive from the campground). Both were spectacular, and I'd say the Lost Mine Trail is one of the best in the park!

Here are a few pictures; I'll upload a few more tomorrow.


Hwy. 90, Pecos River Bridge near Comstock, where the riding really gets good.


Entrance to the park south of Marathon.


Casa Grande as viewed from the campground.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #36
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
Hello, Oli-San. I'm on an R1200R, so I stayed on the pavement. I camped in the Chisos Basin campground for three nights (8/13-8/15); plenty of sites available. My goal was to get my riding fix on the way out there, and then hike and enjoy the geology, flora, and fauna in the park. I made two longer hikes; The Window Trail (the trailhead is located near site 51 in the Chisos Basin campground), and the Lost Mine Trail (the trailhead is just a short drive from the campground). Both were spectacular, and I'd say the Lost Mine Trail is one of the best in the park!

Here are a few pictures; I'll upload a few more tomorrow.


Hwy. 90, Pecos River Bridge near Comstock, where the riding really gets good.


Entrance to the park south of Marathon.


Casa Grande as viewed from the campground.
Nice pics! and really nice bike too!!
I am definitely conisdering going there for Labor Day Weekend now!
I hope it is not too hot to camp. Cannot be worse than the Hill country in July..
Thanks again for sharing the pics... and please load some more!
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #37
txplants
Pastafarian
 
txplants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
Nice pics! and really nice bike too!!
I am definitely conisdering going there for Labor Day Weekend now!
I hope it is not too hot to camp. Cannot be worse than the Hill country in July..
Thanks again for sharing the pics... and please load some more!
Thanks for the compliment; in my haste I failed to mention how much I enjoyed your report and photos!
The weather should be very mild; according the park’s website it was 61 degrees in the Basin last night (and a high of only 80)! Temperatures were about seven degrees warmer when I was there, and it was still very nice.

Daily reports are available here http://www.nps.gov/bibe/daily_report.htm

I’m just adding a few more pictures of my campsite (#24) and views from the Window Pour-off and Lost Mine trails in hopes they will help cinch your decision. You obviously know what you’re doing, but let me know if I can help with your trip planning in any way.



Camping site 24; there are about 60 and they are all shapes and sizes. I found one to my liking after cruising around for a few minutes.



Agave standing sentry over the Window Pour-off Trail.



Looking south over Pine Canyon into Mexico from the Lost Mine Trail.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #38
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeojones View Post
I love the Texas Hill Country. I really enjoyed the read...thanks for sharing.
You're welcome!
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #39
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
Thanks for the compliment; in my haste I failed to mention how much I enjoyed your report and photos!
The weather should be very mild; according the park’s website it was 61 degrees in the Basin last night (and a high of only 80)! Temperatures were about seven degrees warmer when I was there, and it was still very nice.

Daily reports are available here http://www.nps.gov/bibe/daily_report.htm

I’m just adding a few more pictures of my campsite (#24) and views from the Window Pour-off and Lost Mine trails in hopes they will help cinch your decision. You obviously know what you’re doing, but let me know if I can help with your trip planning in any way.



Camping site 24; there are about 60 and they are all shapes and sizes. I found one to my liking after cruising around for a few minutes.



Agave standing sentry over the Window Pour-off Trail.



Looking south over Pine Canyon into Mexico from the Lost Mine Trail.
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #40
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35xj View Post
cool report. im riding through that general area in january on my way from nc to ca.

What should i look at, where else should i go? Generally looking for a good set of secondary/dirt roads across south/middle tx
Thanks!
I am not from Texas and moved here recently. Also, I haven't ridden a bike in a long time. Actually, since I moved from France in 2004. Now when Yamaha decided to bring the Super Ten, I could not resist and got one. All that to say that I just started riding in Texas recently and I am not the best to recommend places..
However, this trip was definitely awesome. I strongly recommend the Hill Country especially around Bandera, Medina, Leakey and also Fredericksburg. You should clearly go there.
Now I am looking at going to Big Bend National Park. I will let you know if it is worth going there..
Cheers!
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #41
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Oddometer: 1,491
There is going to be another Austin hill country ride report coming.

2 Aprillia sportcity scooters and 1 scarabeo scooter. Short trip from Houston to Austin for camping over labor day but it will be our first for everyone in the group. looking forward to it. Gopro camera shots included :)
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #42
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Big Bend

I am so ready to escape Orange tomorrow after work.. and the plan is to head WEST!!

I will post the pics and RR in this thread. So far, my plan is to leave Friday right at 4:00PM and head to San Antonio for the night and get as much of the boring I-10 under my belt. Then, I will ride Highway 90 to Marathon or Alpine. From there, I will head South to the park.
I tried to get a reservation for the Chisos Basin campground but I was told this is first-come, first-served.
If I have some time on Saturday, after I pitch the tent, I will try to ride some of the Park roads. I am not planning on going off-road. I'm just by myself and I don't have enough experience with the Super Ten on rocky trails yet.

Sunday, I plan on hiking the 12.6 mile-long South Rim Loop. It looks difficult, but worth the effort form pics I found online.
Monday, I will spend a long time in the saddle: about 10 hours to Houston where I am planning on spending the night. If all goes well, I will be back at work on Tuesday 8:00 AM in Orange.

For the trip, I pack all my camping gear, including stove and freeze dried backpacking meals (yum) ..
Oh yea, everybody here, including my girlfriend think I am crazy...

I don't think it's that dangerous. I have only to worry about cars, crazy drivers, texting drivers, drunk drivers, guys with guns, bears, snakes, mountain lions . Or I could stay here and watch TV.... Might be dangerous too..

I will take a lot of pictures.. Stay tuned.
Oli-crazy-san
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #43
Oli-San OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Orange, Tx
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootTour View Post
There is going to be another Austin hill country ride report coming.

2 Aprillia sportcity scooters and 1 scarabeo scooter. Short trip from Houston to Austin for camping over labor day but it will be our first for everyone in the group. looking forward to it. Gopro camera shots included :)
Enjoy and please take some pics and indicate where the RR is posted.
__________________
The problem with the World is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence
- Charles Bukowski -
Oli-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #44
txplants
Pastafarian
 
txplants's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 209
Ride safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli-San View Post
I am so ready to escape Orange tomorrow after work.. and the plan is to head WEST!!

I will post the pics and RR in this thread. So far, my plan is to leave Friday right at 4:00PM and head to San Antonio for the night and get as much of the boring I-10 under my belt. Then, I will ride Highway 90 to Marathon or Alpine. From there, I will head South to the park.
I tried to get a reservation for the Chisos Basin campground but I was told this is first-come, first-served.
If I have some time on Saturday, after I pitch the tent, I will try to ride some of the Park roads. I am not planning on going off-road. I'm just by myself and I don't have enough experience with the Super Ten on rocky trails yet.

Sunday, I plan on hiking the 12.6 mile-long South Rim Loop. It looks difficult, but worth the effort form pics I found online.
Monday, I will spend a long time in the saddle: about 10 hours to Houston where I am planning on spending the night. If all goes well, I will be back at work on Tuesday 8:00 AM in Orange.

For the trip, I pack all my camping gear, including stove and freeze dried backpacking meals (yum) ..
Oh yea, everybody here, including my girlfriend think I am crazy...

I don't think it's that dangerous. I have only to worry about cars, crazy drivers, texting drivers, drunk drivers, guys with guns, bears, snakes, mountain lions . Or I could stay here and watch TV.... Might be dangerous too..

I will take a lot of pictures.. Stay tuned.
Oli-crazy-san
Can't wait to hear all about it! Ride safe and have an awesome time!
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #45
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,591
Riding the River Rd. from Lajitas towards Presidio and back is among the Best in Texas. Also Pinto Canyon outside Marfa is not to be missed if you have a DS Bike. The Loop outside Ft, Davis is also very nice. For a great swimming Hole check out Balmorrea SP north of Ft. Davis, clear, cool Spring fed water will feel great. Trust me.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014