Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #16
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,160
Props for concluding "Know what? I'm OK and the bike's repairable. Let's keep rolling."
Extra credit for those curbside WalMart repairs, too....makes the war story that much better!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #17
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by malott442 View Post
...I stopped in my tracks, having realize I just lied that little boy and didn't even listen to what his cause was. I turned around and said, "Hey, what are you raising money for again sir?" He said that it was for his little league team's fund for new equipment. I apologized for dismissing him and looked in the bucket to find all of 4 bucks or so in change, with one single dollar in there. I pulled out a 20 and dropped it in and told him "good luck!" His eyes about fell on the ground, it felt good making his day.
Awesome dude! That is a very kind thing to do, and seems to reflect the new perspective on life that the accident brought about. Great job on persevering with getting the bike patched together and continuing your ride, you overcame a lot of obstacles and showed yourself that you can deal with change in a positive way!
Cheers!
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
some people think the cup is half empty
some people think the cup is half full

I just thank God that there's a cup at all
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Thanks for sharing. Glad you're ok.
Someone quote me so he can see my response
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #20
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 691
Good write up and photos. Thanks for sharing!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #21
DcnCan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Great write up! Great attitude! Ride with ya anytime.
DcnCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
russellkt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
So happy to hear you made it back and thanks for sharing your lessons learned.
russellkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
malott442 OP
Loud, yet refreshing

Oddometer: 583
I have a bit of bad news for an update. I think the lesson learned didn't stop where I read it. Another lesson I should've taken away from this accident is "Life is too short for grudges". Thursday, July 26th, Chris Snetzko, my best friend, was killed while working at a fabrication shop in Florida. He was 31, and leaves behind two children, a loving girlfriend (live in for 5 years) and a baby boy due in December. It really hurts that he is gone, and many will miss the crazy, scary, natural born leader everyone had come to know and love.

I learned two lessons from this incident, and here is the easy one. Don't bypass doing what really makes you happy. Chris was a stunt rider, and hung up his boots to raise his family because of the risk of injury. I will admit, Chris was bulletproof on a bike, 6 years stunting with no injuries to speak of, and the odds might have been against him. I dislocated a shoulder, tore a tendon in my knee, broke two toes, and have nice exhaust burn scars from half as much time on the lot. This retired daredevil died at work doing an otherwise un-risky routine task.

I semi quite stunting (I still have a crf50) to work without risk of losing my job and to provide for my wife. Out of my injuries, I hadn't really lost any work and don't regret any of it. But I yearned for a bike and it drove me crazy. Lesson one taken. I am selling my 1125R to make way for a stunt bike. I'm going to live the life that makes me happy (with blessing from my wife, she ROCKS by the way).

This is the hard lesson. We have not spoke in 2 years. Chris and I got in an argument and I quit speaking to him. He has been reaching out to me for a year and a half, and I only went as far as emailing him back and forth on occasion. I had been wanting to call him badly for 6 months, and procrastinated and made excuses, and now I'm stuck here with the regret for a long, long time.

Take this lesson from me: Life is too short for grudges, and friendships have no room for pride. Tell the ones you need to that you love them, and work your disagreements out and move on together, because you never know, you never know. Chris was the twin brother from another mother. All I have left now is memories and apologies owed that I can't pay out.

Expensive lesson learned. I love you Chris, and I hope heaven has a lot for you to ride on.

malott442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #24
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,812
no words.... very sorry about Chris.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #25
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,229
So sorry to hear....
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
mr. matteeanne
Barned

Oddometer: 14,235
Ouch. RIP.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #27
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,719
Damn, a great buddy of mine since the 70's passed away a couple of weeks ago and because of a disagreement we hadn't been talikng in 10 years. It always bothered my and I wanted to reach out and then life gets in the way and time moves on and all of a sudden ......

This brings it all back.

When they are gone it's too late ....
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
malott442 OP
Loud, yet refreshing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Damn, a great buddy of mine since the 70's passed away a couple of weeks ago and because of a disagreement we hadn't been talikng in 10 years. It always bothered my and I wanted to reach out and then life gets in the way and time moves on and all of a sudden ......

This brings it all back.

When they are gone it's too late ....

Exactly.... Regret is a large pill to swallow. It'll be a while before I'm right again.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:36 PM   #29
rolarosa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Wow probably the most interesting face plant report! My condolences for your friend, very unfortunate. Can't imagine what you're going through, with your accident and your friends passing. Thank you for inspiring the rest of us!
rolarosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
malott442 OP
Loud, yet refreshing

After a year, an update on what I've taken home from these events.

Hey everyone,

Sorry that I'm bumping a year old thread, but I thought I would share an update. Let's see.....

1. The BMW is still together in the exact condition of the repair. I've put over 5k miles on the repaired valve cover, and am just now getting a weeping leak. Not enough to drip, yet.

2. I ride MUCH more sensibly in the rain. I respect the lack of traction as if the whole road is painted. Slowing down is rather unpleasant at first when you are an impatient person, but after a while, it becomes a habit rather than a conscious decision.

3. I have been less resentful and quiet about my feelings. I tell my wife more often that she means everything to me, I have also envoked a "20 second rule". We hug for at least 20 consecutive seconds at least once a day. It is a proven fact that an extended embrace releases a chemical that increases the feeling of bonding with that person. With that said, I still see room for improvement, and hope to act upon those insights.

4. I have made sure my friends know who they are, and I've made sure my enemies don't. I treat everyone better now than I did a year ago.

I called Jamie today and told her how much I think about her and Chris, and had a nice talk about her life in the recent months. Chris' kids remind me of how fleeting life is, and how magical it can be if you look through the right lenses. Here are the kiddos. Chris Jr. is a clone of his father.

I have not been back to Deal's Gap YET this year. I plan on taking the BMW there next month if it does not sell first..... Maybe this time I'll keep the rubber down. I hope this ride report has been of some insight and entertainment to you guys, and maybe next year I'll update it again.

I do have big news on the way. My life is 9 weeks into a new era. Magic...

malott442 screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 05:56 PM