Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,995
That's really neat how you have it fixed up. I only see 2 problems with it (I own a Vino 125 with over 15,000 miles on it, all mine) One is actually getting somewhere. The only way out of my state is on a freeway, and th Zuma/Vino is not freeway legal or capable. Most of my 15,000 miles has been in 3 states, due to the difficulty of getting from one state to another. I 150cc scooter would at least solve the legal part of that problem in most states. A Zuma 150 or even 250 would be great.

The other problem is load capacity. The load capacity on my Vino is 317 pounds, and I am 220 pounds of that. That doesn't leave much left over for accessories or cargo without overloading it. I don't know what the weight limit is on the Zuma, but I would assume it is close to that of the Vino.

People have ridden across the country on 50cc scooters, and 50cc pedal mopeds with a top speed of 30 mph. But I have yet to figure out how to get across the country while completely avoiding freeways. There is a way out of my state on RT66, but you have to climb a 9,000 foot mountain to get to it, and my Vino won't do that.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:38 AM   #17
SR1355 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I'm back... WOOT!!!! OK, 450+ miles this weekend three things learned...

1) MUST GET WINDSHIELD INSTALLED...

2) MUST GET NEW HELMET WITH ENCLOSED EARS... WIND TOO LOUD...

3) BACK REST WOULD BE NICE

Apart from that I had a great time and the pelican cases worked perfectly. No movement at all, had all my gear in pelican cases and under seat. Wore a small backpack since Saturday night we actually hiked into the woods but it was empty on the rides.... I'm thing back rest will be solved with installation of rear pelican case, I sit all the way back so the case with a small pad fastened to it would add support to lower back...

Can't wait to go again....
Old 07-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #18
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Windscreen - I don't know if you have stated your height, but if you are similar to me 5'10", 32 inseam or less you will love the windscreen. It sends the air right over the top of my helmet. Even if you are 6 ft it will still probably be ok. Except for when rain is expected I always ride with a 1/2 shell helmet, but as stated before I don't ride the distances you do, thats what the electraglide is for .
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,641
Awesome ride. I agree about the backrest. I sit in the backseat of mine too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Yes a backrest will make a huge difference. The backrest on my silver Wing makes my bike comfortable in ways I never thought possible on a motorcycle.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #21
Domromer
Desert Rat

Wait I just reread the last few posts. Why do you guys sit on the back seat? I've seen people do that before and it always seems kind of strange.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #22
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I just don't fit on the Zuma without sitting in the back. The Zuma has a bench type seat like motorcycles of the 70's Instead if the sculpted shapes that are more common today. It allows me to scoot my rear end back so my knees don't hit the bars.

I put highway bars on that you can see in the pic below. This allows me to scoot my rear end back and stretch out my legs.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #23
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oh, I thought it was some kind of cool scooter thing that I wasn't privy to

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #24
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Well, we are pretty cool!

Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 AM   #25
scooterGdawg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Chad, u need sum of them side bags...... thats awesome
Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
ScootTour
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I just don't fit on the Zuma without sitting in the back. The Zuma has a bench type seat like motorcycles of the 70's Instead if the sculpted shapes that are more common today. It allows me to scoot my rear end back so my knees don't hit the bars.

I put highway bars on that you can see in the pic below. This allows me to scoot my rear end back and stretch out my legs.

ironically I was on a sunday drive and I thought about doing the similar to my sportscity for moving my legs out for awhile now and again. Currently I am good for about 1 hour before I need to stop and stretch.
ScootTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #27
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterGdawg View Post
Chad, u need sum of them side bags...... thats awesome
I think I will go top case 1st

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 AM   #28
SR1355 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post

Love the BLUE Zuma, I was thinking of adding highway bars as well but funds are running low. Just ordered Pelican 1520 case for rear storage. Should be able to mod up mount this coming weekend then get all parts to powder coat... My GF's father is in the upholstry business so I'll see what we can come up with for a small backrest mounted to rear storage...
Old 07-31-2012, 04:00 AM   #29
SR1355 OP
Adventurer

Weekend pics

Here's a few pics from camp this weekend...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
Domromer
Desert Rat

Very cool! I what tarp and hammock are you using? We are going camping on the blue Ridge Parkway this weekend and I just picked up the kelty Noah cover to go with my Eno double nest. I can't decide whether bring my silver Wing or Vstrom.