Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Ok, I has replied to all y'all. Please just scroll down find yours if you don't wish to read all this.

Ok for starters I knew there will be lots of disagreeing. I don't mind any different opinions, this is all opinion, so feel free to disagree no hard feelings, this is just for fun.

ericrat, no I ain't rode an R1 but I did put some miles on my dad's GSXR 1000, I bard it for a couple weeks he has 2 bikes so he lend it to me when mine was broken so I can see what its like. It was fucking fast. I will agree there. Getting that thing past 8,000 RPM is just downright scary at first! Yes it was incredibly light, handles like a sportbike should, and was fun. Quite uncomfortable though [I come from cruisers], and didn't have that low end punch. Sportbikes DO actually have good torque actually, in the 75+ ft/lbs range for the liter bikes, BUT, it don't come till you wind the motor up. I do agree that Boss Hoss is ridiclous. It is NOT ment to actually compete with no R1. That thing will pull 500 HP at the wheel if set up right too.

BUT, you can't say, having a 8,200 cc V8 engine with nearly 600 ft/lbs of torque @ 4,000 RPM wouldn't be a cool experence! NOT practical, but just cool, at least just to try 1 time! The torque is undescrible. An R1 may very well beat it in a race, so what? We ain't talking 0-60, 1/4 mile, we's talking skull crushing torque, and at a low RPM! Although the torque is at a high RPM at 4K, it'll have ridiclous torque off of idle. Its only a 2-speed semi-auto transmission though. But with torque gears are not needed so much. Trouble with the Boss is keeping the wheel from burning out. Its NOT made to be practical. But, it is ridable! Actually supposibly handles low speeds better than you'd ever expect from such a monster!

O.C.F.RIDER nice bike! I do like Ducattis. Not quite for me, but there cool! I's sure they has decent torque.

klaviator HOLY HELL! Now your taking! 150 ft/lbs on that little thing? I'd love to ride it! Whatever it is, its qualified!

lethe yea diesel bikes are intrusting.

bomber1965 I like that there V-Max. I wouldn't say its a total torque monster, it loves revving more than I'd pefer, but a hundred-something ft/lbs and 200 HP! Not to shabby! I'll put it on a hi RPM hi torque in the list though, it qualify for that!

warrior1677, its never too late! This ain't just about the bike I'm buying, its for fun about the torqiest, badest bikes out there! Its like a powerlifter v.s. a track star. Track star will run away, but if the powerlifter finds him he can crush him, unless the track guy is a martial artist, that is! Yes, the RS Warrior is a great bike. I like the looks of it, and its a torquy bike too! I'll definitly put it on the list. For personal machine, I think I need the comfort of the RS Silverado.

OhBoy yea! WTF? Now a days, bigger is better in the cruiser world! Rarly does a company downgrade there engine displacement! 1300 is a nice engine, but you'll always think, well what if I got the 1800? Buy the 1800 and forget about it, unless you want a little less weight and more handling.

Snapper I like that H-D. But WHY, for fucks sake, use a stockish Sportty motor in that? WHY not use a V-Rod motor in an XR 1200? That'd be ultimate! And while I do believe Harleys ain't quite as good as Jap bikes in the long run [mechanical longetivity wise], I wouldn't say they's unrelaible. Espically the Evo engine found in that there XR1200. Only real issues with H-Ds is they only last 100,000 miles! Then its already need a rebuild! And the TC has a couple issues like cam chain tensioner, thats another arguement for elsewhere. IMHO the Evo was H-D's best. Only issue is it's only 1,340 cc on the big twin before the TC 88 come out. That is adequet but not no torque monster. Only in the 80 ft/lbs range. Decent HP in the 70s though.

DAKEZ, so the national speed limit is still 55 MPH? Seems to be what Triumph thought when doing the gearing on this bike. Why should a inline 3 2,300 cc engine run at 2,500 RPM at only 60 MPH? H-D's OD 6th is taller. And they only has 100 ft/lbs at similar RPMs. That engine should run at a maximum of 1,900 RPM at 60 MPH GPS in top gear IMHO. They claim it has 90% of it's torque at 2,000 RPM. Why ruin the fun by gearing it so low on 5th? Other than that, I did qualify it! 163 ft/lbs is badass!

Chromer I reckon. You meant low gear ratios though =more force. Like a 10 speed in 2nd is more torque at the wheel than in 10th, sort of what your saying. And yes there is quite some loss thru the tranny.

DAKEZ it probably is. BUT, we's only going for torque. Lets use this joke used on H-Ds: HP=why? Handling= Not needed. Can be reversed.

But I do know what your saying. I don't think I'd personally own one. To much $ and I pefer the RS. But I like the 142 ft/lbs!
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I am not sure why you want to run such low RPM's?

Cuz he's a fuggin idiot
Old 07-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #18
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,231
Good deal on a Vegas 8 ball, plus you'd have a hell of a good time riding it home through Canada!

http://alaskaslist.com/1/posts/10_Tr...s_8_Ball_.html
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #19
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 755
For a low cost bike with plenty of power, inexpensive to insure and able to carry two up, a Honda V65 sounds like a good fit. Great compromise between torque and HP.

I felt compelled to throw that in, although this is another miracle bike thread.

The Rocket III is just plain awesome for the segment it was built for and for the price is not going to be beat for a new bike. The MPG is even decent with all things considered. Just my 2 cents on that bike.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I am not sure why you want to run such low RPM's?

You referenced H-D's and its 6th gear. Are you aware the H-D's Twin cam works best, lasts longest, cools best, returns the best MPG at 3000 to 3100 RPM for cruising? 3100 RPM's in 4th gear is 61 MPH. You would be lugging the engine at anything below 73mph if you are in 6th.

You are wrong on the Triumph as well. The sweet spot for the Rocket III engine is at or about 2900 RPM's Why do you like lugging them?

Wasn't entirely aware of that on the H-Ds. BUT, the gearing allows it to run there so well. 6th on Harleys is quite tall, all the gears are relitively tall, I just love the way Harley gears there bikes. I don't know about lugging it below 73 MPH, I think you can hold 65 MPH fine in 6th, so long as theres not much headwind and its a very flat road. What speed do you hit 3K on a Harley? I tend to ride 75-80 MPH [actual]. So 6th gear feels great shifting into it at 75 MPH when I ride a Harley.

I don't know why I like low RPMs, just do. Love the sound of a slow turning motor at highway speeds, just that slow, relaxed sound I guess.

Also, I think they's capable of it. My mom's camry has a 4 banger 2.4 liter. And it turns at just 2.5K at an actual 85 MPH in OD. It will rev decent too. A lot of the power is around 4K-5K but it'll run at 2.5K and not even downshift. I know car's is kind of irrelevent, but still shows it can be geared that tall for OD. By the way, OD is more of an economy gear meant to take the RPMs way down to make the engine relaxed and better MPGs on a flat/downhill highway with little wind.

Not all of y'all can tell me on most Japanese motorcycles [except the bigger inch torqey bikes], you don't go looking for another gear sometimes! Some worse than others.

btcn screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 08:18 AM
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #21
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby View Post
Cuz he's a fuggin idiot

WTF is your problem? I don't want this thread in the basement. Now you have a right to your own opinion, but you don't need to be rude.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #22
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

V65 is not bad. About 62 ft/lbs and 120 HP. Not bad at all for the age. Not a torque monster, but its not bad either. There nice bikes.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:34 AM   #23
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
This is you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gkgo...eature=related
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #24
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,781
For those who don't recognize it

It's a Confederate X132 Hellcat. It's made here in Alabama. The motor is a 132 Cu In (2147cc) V twin with 150 ft-lbs of torque and 132 hp. Weight is around 450 lbs. It costs a mere 50K.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #25
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 1,130
Buell XB12STT

frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benesesso View Post

I like it! A lot!

Steam is a cool! Man, I read a little about them. They turn as slow as 150 RPM, and produce more torque than you can imagine! They said they can produce there torque just off of 0 RPM!

Of course, they's NOT good for daily use in a car or bike. But, they are neat! They's all torque! Almost no HP due to low RPMs, but torque! That there motorcycle is very cool! I think Steam is not bad at all. Not for a commuter or anything, It's not fast, but its cool!

I wouldn't mind having that bike just for fun! Very cool.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
I got to ride one of these.....

Been riding 45 years, ridden almost everything there is to ride (except a Bimota ), and I have never, EVER, ridden something that hits this hard in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear.
Ride one & you'll want one!!!!!!!!!
I saw one of those on my way home last week. I had the window down on my car and he pulled up beside me. Every beat of the exhaust could be felt as much as it could be heard -- like concussion grenades going off.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Love the Diavel but it's a nut cruncher for sure!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #29
shovelstrokeed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
OP.
Most of what you are thinking of as torque is really a heavy flywheel/crankshaft.
There is nothing wrong with spinning a 10,000 RPM engine up to 4 or 5K where it will probably be more efficient than that 5000 RPM motor running at 2100.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #30
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I saw one of those on my way home last week. I had the window down on my car and he pulled up beside me. Every beat of the exhaust could be felt as much as it could be heard -- like concussion grenades going off.
The one I rode had a full Termi exhaust with the most open "baffle" (if you could call it that), and OH, the beautiful noise it made!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me wants one!

Chris
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote