Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 01:53 PM   #31
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Love the Diavel but it's a "eyeball flattener" and arm stretcher for sure!
I fixafied that for truth!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,636
I think the OP needs to go take some different bikes for test rides. No offense intended, but maybe you need to expand your horizons a bit. The Suzuki GSF1250FA is all about torque, and it weighs a lot less and handles a lot better than the typical cruiser. Used 1250's can be found at pretty reasonable prices too.

Too me, good handling is a safety issue. I don't want my bike dragging hard parts every time I lean it over. If I find myself in a decreasing radius curve, I want some more lean angle in reserve! Bikes like the Roadstars and the Vulcan 2000 are poor handling bikes compared to a sport tourer.

MY Yamaha FJR is a torque monster. Just this morning on the way to work on the interstate, I needed to get around a couple of cars quickly to avoid getting cut off - it seemed like just a thought and I was around them and the needle was pointing at 100mph! No downshift required.

I once owned a Suzuki GSX1100G, and it was a torque monster too. It would easily walk away from Valkyries and GoldWings (GL1500) in a top gear roll on.

As for the Boss Hoss - I have ridden one and I will NEVER do it again. It sucked on so many levels.

I think sport tourers are the best all around bikes available. Ride all day in comfort and safety, and take your stuff with you.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #33
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
I fixafied that for truth!
Ha! well that too I'm sure, but it's not a bike to casually sit on... Jumped on one at the dealer and damn!
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #34
jesse v
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I think the OP needs to go take some different bikes for test rides. No offense intended, but maybe you need to expand your horizons a bit. The Suzuki GSF1250FA is all about torque, and it weighs a lot less and handles a lot better than the typical cruiser. Used 1250's can be found at pretty reasonable prices too.

Too me, good handling is a safety issue. I don't want my bike dragging hard parts every time I lean it over. If I find myself in a decreasing radius curve, I want some more lean angle in reserve! Bikes like the Roadstars and the Vulcan 2000 are poor handling bikes compared to a sport tourer.

MY Yamaha FJR is a torque monster. Just this morning on the way to work on the interstate, I needed to get around a couple of cars quickly to avoid getting cut off - it seemed like just a thought and I was around them and the needle was pointing at 100mph! No downshift required.

I once owned a Suzuki GSX1100G, and it was a torque monster too. It would easily walk away from Valkyries and GoldWings (GL1500) in a top gear roll on.

As for the Boss Hoss - I have ridden one and I will NEVER do it again. It sucked on so many levels.

I think sport tourers are the best all around bikes available. Ride all day in comfort and safety, and take your stuff with you.
Bingo
Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
btcn, I know you have your heart set on a torquey V-twin. Here's an interesting comparo of V-twins from 2002: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...red/index.html

Any of these would now be available pretty cheap on the used market.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #36
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Stuff about sport tourers...

Your post about ST's is why I keep leaning more and more in that direction for my next motorcycle. I'm no corner shredder, but I have learned that I like pushing my little cruiser to the limits of its lean angle. First time I scraped a peg was kind of scary because my brain thought I had more than that (and Suzi S40's can actually lean a fair amount).

So I realized I want to get a more versatile package for my street oriented riding, and like your post pointed out a sport tourer would fit the bill nicely-- I REALLY want one of those GSX1250FA's, but I'd also settle for a GSX650F, a Bandit 600/1200 or FZ6/FZ1. I'd go for a Buell Ulysses, too...

Basically want something that has good around town utility, can provide some fun in the corners should I seek them out, and is something the wife and I can pack stuff on to for weekend trips.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

those are all nice bikes. Of course I am sure you know the bigger motors will deal with the added weight of a passenger and luggage much easier than the smaller ones. I really think the 1250FA is something pretty special.

I was flipping thru some old copies of Motorcycle Consumer News last night. I came across the one where they had road tests of the Harley Switchback with the 103" motor, and a separate road test of the GSF1250FA.

This was NOT a comparison test

but I found it interesting to compare the two.

The Harley made the bigger torque numbers on the dyno - but it was considerably slower - in fact it took it almost twice as long to get to 60mph than the Suzuki did. 0-100 time for the HD was listed as NA - it couldn't get there in the space available I think that's pretty sad. It did stop faster than the Suzuki, though. The Suzuki had ABS, not sure if the Harley did or not.

They also said the Harley shifted very well, but then they added "you will not mistake it for a Japanese transmission, though" So what is it? Does it shift well? or does it shift well for a Harley?

Travels with Maw Maw

mrbreeze screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 09:47 AM Reason: spelling error
Old 07-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #38
ShardPhoenix
Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer: 769
I fell in lust with the 1250FA when I put my filthy fingerprints all over one at my local dealer while my S40 was having a new front tire put on. One of those times where had the dealer said "wanna take it for a spin", I'd of said "Hell no!" simply because I knew there was no possible way for me to take it home. I was just tire kicking while waiting for my bike to be finished.

Was browsing craigslist yesterday while I was bored, and found a 2006 Honda VFR 800 that was pretty darn nice. 28k miles and had the hard luggage installed. Had to close the ad before I made the decision to go rob a bank.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #39
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
mrbreeze yea Sport Tourers are nice. It'd be cool to test one out. But I think I just love cruisers for some reason. I love the rumbling V-Twin! Yes they don't handle that well. If you really are into curvy higher speed riding, then I wouldn't go with a big inch cruiser. Roadstars and Vulcans are heavy, and set very low, you'll definitly be scraping the pegs thru the twisties and occasionally on entrance ramps, etc. But, the trade off is a very smooth ride, low seat hight [kinda necessary with the big heavy bikes], etc.

I do believe you that those other bikes are no doubt great machines. Hell I wouldn't mind trying one or even owning one as a 2nd bike someday for the twisties, but I love cruisers for some reason! The bigger ones don't handle well, but they ride like a car! Some handle reasonably.

When it comes to performance, Harleys, and like bikes look like pathetic. Both in Horsepower and on the track. Even with lots of torque, they don't like to rev, and are heavy and low. Aerodynamics ain't the biggest consideration in there design either. Even a Ninja 250 will probably keep up with most. BUT, they make up for it in some ways. The low RPM power is nice around town, espically with a passenger and lots of weight. Also, if you have a lot of speeding tickets it ain't that bad!

You are right though about the efficient RPM of the motor. My Shadow 700 really doesn't mind running at 4,000-4,500 RPM. It runs great there. Seems to have more power in 6th than in 5th! Power don't hit hard until 3rd gear at highway speeds then it really gets going!
Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
btcn, I know you have your heart set on a torquey V-twin. Here's an interesting comparo of V-twins from 2002: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...red/index.html

Any of these would now be available pretty cheap on the used market.

Thanks, I'll definitly read that. These are what I'm looking at, mostly bigger Metric Cruisers. H-Ds are nice and I dream of one, but they simply tooo much $, even used. Japanese may lack a little of there character and history, but you get way more bike for the $. And in the long run, I do believe a Japanese bike will go for longer.

My biggest problem with Harleys is they only go about 100,000 miles before a full top end rebuilded is needed! I THOUGHT it was on account that there air cooled, but I was wrong! I have herd from several with Older Roadstar 1600s with over 230,000 miles on the original top end, no major engine work, just regular maintainence, still running strong no oil burning or smoke! Roadstars are fully air cooled, V-Twins. AND, I also heard about an air cooled Victory going at 200,000 miles same status as the RS. What gives?

Now Harley does make a good machine, but not the best. The Twin Cams are good motors, but do have bugs. While with the new hydralic valve lifters they go much longer before the cam chain tensors become a problem, why the hell should it even be a problem at any point? Instead of go to them hydralic things, why not just fix the issue? Yea all bikes need them chains/systems replaced sooner or later, but on H-Ds its a more serious issue in some cases.

IMHO the Evo was and is Harley's best engine. It has no real big glitches, and is a solid power plant. With 1,340 cc its not overly powerful, but decent, HP is about 65-72 HP or so, torque is about 80 ft/lbs. It wasn't in the displacement race and probably had less emmisions standards, so didn't run tooo hot. Great motor, still used in the Sportster, but not the rest for some reason. It still needs rebuilds between 100K-120K though.

Some day I'll get a H-D though. Keep the Metric but I'd still like to have one.

btcn screwed with this post 07-27-2012 at 03:04 PM
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 AM   #41
gunnabuild1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Dont you guys get these?
gunnabuild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #42
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Dont you guys get these?
No. We don't get a lot of the good stuff.

Instead, we get stuff like this:

At least it's a torque monster

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #43
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnabuild1 View Post
Dont you guys get these?

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #44
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Diesel!

Well, still no torque monster bike or even considerably torquey bike [still riding the 85 Shadow 700], but I got me a Diesel truck a couple months ago!

I bought a 2000 Ram 3500 Dually 4X4 with the Cummins 5.9! I have had a 94 F250 XLT 4X4 with the longbed and extended cab for awhile. It has the thirsty as hell 460 big block though. While its a very torquey engine, 5-8 MPG gets old VERY quick. Its wierd with that truck. Gets about 8 no matter what. City, highway, hard driving, easy driving, towing, not towing, hills, no hills, wind no, wind. Not good. Only gets worse when its 1 mile drives. Don't ask me about that. Try a 3 MPG. When gas is $3.35 its no fun. When gas is $4.50+, forget about it.

As if it's milage wasn't bad enough, it wasn't that reliable.

For my work, it an alright truck performance wise. Had pretty good torque [395 ft/lbs @2,200 RPM]. The torque was good but the RPMs are too high, I wanted the torque below 2K to increase. And it had a short 4th OD gear. Ran like 2,400 RPM @68-70 MPH. But otherwise it was an alright truck. Towed pretty good.

But wow. The Ram is awesome! Despite being a dually, it rides way smoother. But torque wise no comparsion. Its not just more torque, its at lower RPMs. Actually not a lot more. The F250 had 395 ft/lbs, the ram auto stock is only 420 but its got a chip I think and MSRB exhaust and K & N, so its at about 460-470 ft/lbs, or with a chip will pull about 480 to 500 ft/lbs, and its @1600 RPM, and has close to max as low as 1,100 RPM. You really notice the difference. When that turbo kicks in it has a LOT of torque.

Its NOT that fast. But it has that pin you back in the seat feel. Just raw power. Not high RPM power [fast 0-60, top speed], just raw power. You feel the torque off idle. Love that feel! It tows 30,000 pounds of round bales like nothing! On the highway it only runs at about 1750 RPM at 70-75 MPH! I love how the redlines only 3,300 RPM! No need to rev! Even in neutral it revs pretty slowly to get there! Its all about towing power!

And as if thats not good enough, I average a real world 19-22 MPG on the highway empty at 65 MPH! Sweet! City is alright, much better than the 460, around 12-13 MPG empty. Pretty damn good if you ask me for a nearly 8,000 pound 1 ton truck! Towing it'll go down to 15 highway sometimes. With a super heavy load can go down to 11-12 though. But still pretty good. I can't complain!

Just really wishing we got some nice diesel production bikes here. Damn EPA bullshit asshole emmisions.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #45
mattness
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
sounds like u have some kind of an rpm fetish
mattness is offline   Reply With Quote