User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
safischer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Death Valley dual sport adventure ride

I just returned from a 5 day trip to Death Valley with another motorcycle buddy, taking our DRZ400s for some off-road adventure riding.

The trip included spending two of the days on an overnight motorcycle ride via a 150 mile loop through fairly rough terrain starting and ending at the Eureka Dunes. The route has us starting up through Deckedera Canyon passing just to the east of the Eureka Dunes, over Steel Pass and down to the Saline Valley hot springs for the overnight camp. On the second day, we then planned on heading down to the bottom of Saline Valley, then head south to the Lippencott mine road, taking this over the pass and down to the Racetrack. From the Racetrack playa, then head northeast to Ubehebe crater. From the crater, the plan was then to return back to the Eureka Dunes camp where the truck was parked by heading north on Death Valley road, passing Crankshaft junction along the way.

You can find an extensive write-up of the trip with a map and photographs on my website here: http://www.stephenfischerphotography...ycle_ride.html
safischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,326
There are old reports that road over steel pass was not passable after big storm? I guess that is what you call Dedeckera? Marry DeDecker was author in he area.

Countdown screwed with this post 01-05-2015 at 02:47 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
Molonlabemike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Great ride report! Looking forward heading out there in March.
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
safischer OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
There are old reports that road over steel pass was not passable after big storm? I guess that is what you call Dedeckera? Marry DeDecker was author in he area.
Well I guess those reports are old, but no longer true. It was passable as I described with some ledges and some rock gardens mostly like created by previous erosion. There was even a lifted 4wd Tacoma that passed through there that rolled into camp later that evening. I think a bigger bike could also do it with sufficient skill.
safischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
chris666
Burgundy Topz

Oddometer: 333
Great report and pictures are awesome. Going to be down there myself in a few weeks for some exploration.