User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Oddometer: 969
Rocky Mountain High!

Each year I try to do a few IBA rides and I try to make them a little more challenging and interesting. This year I thought it would be interesting to add a little off-pavement riding to a trip. This would be IBA ride # 17 and 18 on a Victory!

To add to the off-pavement challenge I would be doing this ride on a Victory Vision. A few modifications would be needed.

I would be using a 2010 Victory Vision 8-Ball.

On the rear I installed a Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire; I had used this tire before with good results. On the front I installed a Shinko 700 Series dual sport tire. I also raised and cut 2 1/2" off the front fender -

I also installed my full length lower belt guard, stainless steel oil filter and engine skid plate -

The plan is to ride from Milwaukee, WI to Fairplay, CO and then try to cross the Mosquito Pass as part of an IBA ride.
I worked a half day and then left the Milwaukee area at 1:23 pm on August 8th.

Hmmmm - I wonder if that tire would help?

I was making good time until rain and gusty winds in Nebraska slowed me down.
I ended in Fairplay, CO on August 9th at 9:19 am (central). 1118 miles!
One of two IBA rides completed on this trip -

The route there -

The numbers -

I had breakfast in Fairplay and then rode to Alma, CO. Alma would be the start of my next ride.
Alma is the highest town!! -

In Alma I spent the night at .... Alma's only bar and hotel and of course it's the highest!!

My TV only has one channel, it's not my favorite but I've seen worse!

The next morning the sun is shining so it's time to start the ride. There had been a chance of rain everyday!
The morning temp is 34 degrees.....it's August 10th. 6:50 am mountain time.

Next a ride to the South Park Saloon to get a receipt (breakfast) to start this IBA ride. The South Park Saloon is .......the highest!! Start time - 9:07 am (central)

Next a ride to the Mosquito Pass. The highest unpaved continuous pass in the US.

The windshield is still frosted!

On the Pass - Park City -

A side road on the Mosquito Pass -

Scenic!!

Getting interesting!

It's going well and then the first steep, rocky climb -

This would be the end of my ride on the Mosquito Pass. The rocks were too big and the lack of oxygen was killing me! It took me about a half hour to back the Vision back down and over the rocks without tipping over again. I took a break after backing it over each rock.

Looking up at the pass -

I can't get a receipt on the Mosquito Pass so I use my Spot Tracker to show the time, date and place -

I turned the bike around and I'm leaving the pass. I've used an hour and 25 minutes of my 24 hours and traveled 12 miles! I'm exhausted!!
Not a good start but I did add a little off-pavement riding to this trip!

I have to stop and add air to the tires -

When I was trying to catch my breath on the pass I had decided to complete the ride by paved road. Plan B...ride north to Breckenridge and then south to Leadville.

Heading north -

South -

Next - Independence Pass - Started with some rain -

At and after the sign it was sunny!

Heading north to Glenwood Springs -

And then east on I-70. Time to pick up the pace!!!

In Colorado - Even the interstate is scenic -

Near Georgetown, CO. Noooooo!

From Georgetown to Idaho Springs there was standing traffic. The I-70 east bound lanes have a detour because the tunnel is closed. I shut off the engine and was pushing the bike. Good thing it was down hill.

Because of my time on the Mosquito Pass, Independence Pass and the traffic on I-70 my average speed after 302 miles is only 31 mph! This is not good! Would I reach the 1000 mile point in time?

After the traffic on I-70 the ride went well. Good weather and clear roads - Go go go!

And a full moon - Cool!

501 mile point and have used 12.5 hours! Bumpy road!

Things are going well until 3:30 am in western Iowa. I come over a small hill and there's a deer standing in the road. I go right and BANG so does he. I slow down and pull over. Ride over?

On the side of I-80 -

I check the damage and considering I was going 80 mph it's not bad. Fender cracked, front cowl dented, lower air deflector broken and it looks like a little left side body damage! Wow, the ride can continue -

After the deer strike the rest of the ride goes well. Sunrise -

I ended the timed part of the ride in Coralville, IA at 7:07 am Central. A total of 1110 miles.

Next stop Coralville, IA -

After breakfast I rode home to Milwaukee.

IBA ride number 18 completed. What a ride!!

The route -

The numbers -

I had left Milwaukee at about 1:30 pm on Friday, August 8th and was back at about 1:30 pm on Monday, August 11th. A quick adventure.

Can't wait to see what's next!

Rollin' screwed with this post 08-20-2014 at 05:50 AM
Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #2
SPOAT
Death? Smile Back.

Oddometer: 81
Thanks for the great trip report Rollin'!

Enjoyed the show!

Go Victory!

All the best,
: King of cool. Pure magic. Anticipation for the next ride. Stare at it in the garage. Turn the key on just to see the neon blue glow of the dash. Throttle past cars in overdrive. Ride four-hours for a burger. Ride slowly by reflecting store windows. Check on her one last time before bed. She even smells good.
SPOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
GAVic
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 594
It's encouraging to know that it is possible to hit a deer at 80 mph and still be able to ride my Vision. Nice Report.
GAVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,105
You Madman!
I liked your video. Some dual sport ! And a deer strike to put the cherry on it.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOAT View Post
Thanks for the great trip report Rollin'!

Enjoyed the show!

Go Victory!

All the best,
Thank you!!
Even a day ride can be an adventure and the Victory's always get me home!
Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAVic View Post
It's encouraging to know that it is possible to hit a deer at 80 mph and still be able to ride my Vision. Nice Report.
It was a smaller deer, about 4 foot high but with that loud BANG I was expecting more damage. I thought the ride was over.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
You Madman!
I liked your video. Some dual sport ! And a deer strike to put the cherry on it.
Thank you!
I was hoping my ride on the Mosquito Pass would be longer, it was fun up until that rocky climb put an end to it.
The Vision tip-overs saved me. Lifting a 850 pound bike would have been impossible without them and there was no damage.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #8
dieatomkinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I tried a minute ago to respond to this posting but I think my noscript addon is refusing to play nice with the ADV site.

Good write up, I liked it a lot. I got stuck in that same Denver traffic a few weeks back. I was heading to Georgetown to catch up with the folks that were running the "How the West was won" rally. Nasty traffic but nice scenery up there. The picture of Independence Pass was really neat. Troy and I stopped there in June on our SS out to Ely Nv. What a difference between June and August.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,912
Awesome report!

Starting a 1000 mile Iron Butt ride with Mosquito Pass was an ambitious goal, especially on that Victory! Great job getting back up after the tip over! You made it look effortless. I can't believe you still got the 1000 miles in after the traffic delays and hitting a deer! Truely epic! I completed exactly one IBR on a Tiger, with an all paved route, and a whole day of rain. Seems pretty insignificant now after reading your report.

So, here's what you missed on the top! Be glad you didn't make it that far, going down the other side would have been much worse!

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' View Post
Thank you!
I was hoping my ride on the Mosquito Pass would be longer, it was fun up until that rocky climb put an end to it.
The Vision tip-overs saved me. Lifting a 850 pound bike would have been impossible without them and there was no damage.
I was reminded of how uncomfortable I was riding my Venture Royale on grass and dirt. The two times I tipped it over on sloping pavement I needed help getting it back up.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Awesome report!

Starting a 1000 mile Iron Butt ride with Mosquito Pass was an ambitious goal, especially on that Victory! Great job getting back up after the tip over! You made it look effortless. I can't believe you still got the 1000 miles in after the traffic delays and hitting a deer! Truely epic! I completed exactly one IBR on a Tiger, with an all paved route, and a whole day of rain. Seems pretty insignificant now after reading your report.

So, here's what you missed on the top! Be glad you didn't make it that far, going down the other side would have been much worse!

Thank you!
I may have to try it again someday either with a different bike or my Jeep!
I can't believe how quickly the elevation wore me out. I think I was at about 11,600 feet when the bike tipped over.

Great picture!!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822

it's even more fun with water pouring down the road!
Old 08-17-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Vision - back to "normal".

Removing the Shinko 700 Series and installing the Dunlop E3. The Shinko worked great! It was a little LOUD at 80 mph.

Also replacing the broken pieces. Fender, left cowl and lower air-deflectors. Not bad, I was expecting more damage than that!

Old 08-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #14
Rollin' OP
does it come in black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
You Madman!
And I had Dual Sport - floorboards

Old 08-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Rollin - great video and ride report. Amazing, you went part-way up Mosquito Pass, hit a deer and still completed the SS

Wolff

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote