Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #316
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I always seem to find out about these ~local rides after they happen when I see a group of dual sports out and about and I check ADV once I'm home! I'm going to have to start digging deeper and watching these threads more closely
Subscribe to this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318376
They will at least get mentioned here if they are being planned elsewhere.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #317
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
Quote:
I rode right past your group at Pozo and thought to myself "Hey, I know that bike from ADV " several times. I was Staged at the Turkey Flats area with my blue GasGas and a black dodge dakota. I found it humorous watching a sportbike and an older standard both taking burmshots in the dirt, looked like something I'd do. Kinda funny, I rode most of the northern part of your loop the week prior (255 miles) and Quatal Canyon had 1' of snow for the last couple miles before Cerro Noroeste and I had probably my most unnerving experience on a motorcycle yet, riding on a layer of ice on the paved road all the way to the grapevine from there... looks like your timing was better! I also rode a lot of the southern portion of your loop the following weekend (298 miles) and struck out again with weather with yet more snow and ice!

I always seem to find out about these ~local rides after they happen when I see a group of dual sports out and about and I check ADV once I'm home! I'm going to have to start digging deeper and watching these threads more closely

next time stop, say hi and we'll buy you a drink.

beautiful place you have there and good riding. there are some trails that i've never got on, the black diamonds...

if i remember, i'll PM you if we will be out there again. for sure in spring when the flowers bloom and carrizo becomes a painted desert.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #318
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

soon pozo's population doubled in a matter of one afternoon....

johngil and some from lior = thank you, you saved our bacon

can you see male bonding going on?

we are all glad and thankful to pozo for hosting us. bed, fire, drinks and soon food.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #319
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

food and lots of smiles

buster approves the chili

jo be quick jo be nimble..you're fast dood....hahaha

danny was so hungry, emptied his plate and has to order a second one...huh. what's the face you PPs?..hahaha
Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #320
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
next time stop, say hi and we'll buy you a drink.

beautiful place you have there and good riding. there are some trails that i've never got on, the black diamonds...

if i remember, i'll PM you if we will be out there again. for sure in spring when the flowers bloom and carrizo becomes a painted desert.

I would love to join the group sometime, I can certainly show any of the more daring offroaders in the group where the good trails are throughout Pozo, the BLM open area between Maricopa and Carrizo, Ballinger Canyon, Garcia Ridge (from Hi mountain rd), and many other places along your route. In the spring/ summertime there are lots of nice forest roads that bisect your loop running ~parallel to hwy166 with and even a couple OHV areas along the way as well as 3 double black diamond single track routes and some of the most secluded campspots around. It's very hit-or-miss during the rainy season as far as the gates to these areas being open, they are closed today, open 2 weeks ago, closed 3 weeks ago, open 4 weeks ago, and the forest service is very vague as far as what their wet weather policies are. If they are closed, at least you can stop by the Burger Barn

Can you spot the 2 riders contemplating the singletrack climb? Elkhorn Grade Rd and Maricopa shown in the backround

Your route down Pozo Rd takes you fairly close to "the stairsteps" and if you guys haven't been to them yet, it can be kind of humbling the first time. You can get a big adventure bike to the bottom of the stairsteps fairly easily from Pozo rd (the trail that the Toyota was blocking in a picture on the last page) on a well groomed 4x4 trail but this would be your turnaround point. I've ridden up them (only twice) and down them countless times, but one time really stood out:

If you look very closely you will see a KTM950 parked at the bottom, I rode with these guys for the better part of the day and he sure wasn't afraid to ride that mofo like a dirtbike! There was actually still snow (only on the north face of the highest ridge) along this trail when your group passed through.

There is another very scenic dead end ride (depending who you talk to) along TV Tower rd at the top of the Cuesta grade (101 between Santa Margarita and SLO) that might be worth including in future rides.

Will this thread be the one to keep an eye on or the LA area one?

The Letter J screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 07:33 PM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #321
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

tlj, those are nice pics. you surely know your way around the off beaten paths. we did the slo penguins ride, that too was a lot of fun.

this last ride got so big @ 30 PPs we kept it below the radar so it remains manageable. keeping a group this size on a 350+ mile ride wasn't an easy task.

pm coming.

next big ride...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841673
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #322
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

around the campfire

sleeping aide

only a texan will like his big

finally we all gave our weary bones a rest....it was a good day of riding
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #323
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

waking up to a beautiful sunny socal sunday morning...................

most of the PPs are still in bed

pretty sure it was colder than this earlier

i wonder if this rider has hvac in it....hehe

thawing off around the fire

still lots of firewood left

couple of elks on top of the hill
Old 02-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #324
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,999
The weather changes dramatically each year for this ride. I remember my first time up there in 2011 and it was cold, but nothing close to those pictures. Just a little bit of snow patches on the side on hwy.
Last year it was beautiful. Perfect weather to ride. No mud, no snow. And this year...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #325
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
The weather changes dramatically each year for this ride. I remember my first time up there in 2011 and it was cold, but nothing close to those pictures. Just a little bit of snow patches on the side on hwy.
Last year it was beautiful. Perfect weather to ride. No mud, no snow. And this year...
yes, it was extremely cold.

ersin, wish you had your 4-season tent there......
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #326
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

our luck didn't stop at camping in pozo. the usfs website says hi-mountain rd is closed, well not quite true.

we had several water and mud crossing. this one is the deepest

ben forgot to bring his a-game

the water tasted and smelled like cow shit, yes i had a little. ben will endure it for the rest of the day

the pig in its natural state and loving it...hahaha

i enjoy riding in this place, good mix of terrain

i stink

we eventually made it to pappy's in santa maria after gassing up in arroyo grande

breakfast or lunch - you choose

no food pic just PPs
Old 02-10-2013, 09:24 PM   #327
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

fun starts here

waiting for group 2b

wish we could stop longer and enjoy the view

what is that white stuff on the side of the road?

would you believe if i say this was in santa barbara?

view of lake cachuma and my new solomotoparts.com decal

our guest and south america bound traveller - marcelo

rruuger happy on the throttle

i just don't know wtp was rruuger doing., all over the place and he went crazy on us....huh!

more of rruugger. i think the 990 gone wild cuz it was being ridden slow....hahahaha

maria suddenly became the leader of group 2b

picture time on the ridge. one side is lake cachuma, while the other is the pacific ocean

again rrugger, getting in the way on bob's solo shot above the pacific coast....hahaha

sweet maria what you got on you head

this what happens when you share a tent

john and bob about to play beach ball

the group that planned the ride, rode the plan

not a fender bender but a pannier bender....huh. luckily no one got hurt.

the sad part of the trip...we hit pavement

making sure maria is ok and could ride it home

pacific coast and the remaining sunlight

parting shot...one more of me...hahaha

all i can say, good people and good ride. i had a magnificent time and hope you all did too.

thanks to everyone (especially the ride leaders).

till the next one.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #328
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

another disturbing news.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
From the AMA today;

Carrizo Plain National Monument: New rules threaten OHV use Take Action!

On Dec. 21, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management announced establishment of interim final supplementary rules for public lands managed by the Carrizo Plain National Monument in Kern and San Luis Obispo counties, Calf.. The American Motorcyclist Association believes your comments are necessary to prevent the closing of this area to off-highway vehicle use.

As stated in the Bureau of Land Management’s Federal Register Notice:
“Recently there has been a noticeable increase in Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use in the Monument. Monument resources, including the majestic grasslands that offer refuge for endangered, threatened, and rare plant and animal species, are highly susceptible to damage from OHV use. The significant fossil assemblages and cultural artifacts associated with the Monument are also susceptible to OHV damage. This led to the determination during the planning process that non-street-legal vehicles generally are not compatible with the Monument Proclamation.”
The AMA is concerned the proposed actions may unnecessarily restrict street-legal, dual-purpose motorcycles. The AMA advocates responsible motorized recreation on public land. We want to ensure that our members and their friends and families will be able to continue to enjoy the American outdoors. Motorized recreation has a substantial and growing economic impact on many small communities in the West. We feel it is important that the management of BLM land be adequately defined and easily enforceable so that we avoid unnecessary restrictions being placed on America’s motorized outdoor recreation.

The AMA strongly encourages everyone who enjoys recreating on our nation’s federal land to provide comments. All comments must be received by Feb. 19 for full consideration. If you want to help protect the off-highway trails that you, your family and your friends enjoy, this is an opportunity you can't afford to miss! According to the Federal Register notice, all comments must be hand-delivered or mailed to the Bakersfield Field Office at the address below. Please print the provided comment letter, or even better, use your own words from personal experience, and send it in. In addition, we encourage you to utilize the automated system and send an email to the address provided.

Ryan Cooper
Outdoor Recreation Planner
3801 Pegasus Drive
Bakersfield, CA 93308
Tel: 661-391-6048
Email: racooper@blm.gov
Send written comments to:
Bureau of Land Management
Attention: Ryan Cooper
BLM Bakersfield Field Office
3801 Pegasus Drive
Bakersfield, CA 93308

Provide your comments today. You are encouraged to add personal stories to this prepared comment. Be sure to urge the BLM to keep every responsible user in mind. The AMA has prepared pre-written comments for you to send. You can act today by selecting the “Take Action” option.

Written comments on the interim final supplementary rules should be specific, confined to issues pertinent to the interim final supplementary rules, and explain the reason for any recommended change. Comments requesting changes to decisions in the RMP/ROD would be outside the scope of this rule making.

Where possible, comments should reference a specific provision of these interim final supplementary rules. The BLM need not consider or include in the Administrative Record: (a) Comments that the BLM receives after the close of the comment period Feb. 19, unless they are postmarked or electronically dated before the deadline, or (b) Comments delivered to an address other than one of those listed above.

Before including your address, telephone number, email address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment--including your personal identifying information--may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask the BLM in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, they cannot guarantee that they will be able to do so.

Please join the AMA to help us fight these efforts to end responsible motorized recreation. More members means more clout against our opponents, and your support will help the AMA fight for your rights – on the road, trail, racetrack, and in the halls of government. To join, go to AmericanMotorcyclist.com/membership/join.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #329
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 860
It's been my understanding that "OHV"s are not allowed within the monument as it is. I'm not sure that I see what is changing? I would like to know what/where this "noticeable increase in OHV use" is, or is this just another desk jockey environmentalist trying to get their hands on some green sticker money for fences/signs
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #330
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,724
Quote:
It's been my understanding that "OHV"s are not allowed within the monument as it is. I'm not sure that I see what is changing? I would like to know what/where this "noticeable increase in OHV use" is, or is this just another desk jockey environmentalist trying to get their hands on some green sticker money for fences/signs
From another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddennis669 View Post
There isn't an "OHV area" as such. Off Highway Vehicles had previously been allowed on the BLM roads in the Carrizo Plain National Monument. OHVs were never legal to operate on SLO county roads such as the Elkhorn and Soda Lake Roads and Off Highway travel has never been permitted.

One should be clear that this is about a loss of OHV access. That is an issue for concern. While it makes sense for the AMA to express concerns that "the proposed actions may unnecessarily restrict street-legal, dual-purpose motorcycles.", the elimination of OHV use from the BLM roads inside the National Monument boundaries does not change dual sport motorcycle use on BLM or SLO county roads.

BTW, Ryan Cooper, the BLM Recreation Coordinator that we should write to, has publicly voiced support for dual sport rides through the Carrizo. I think he would love hearing from the ADV community.