Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #106
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,995
sunday morning, we left camp before 10. bill, duy, rich and son took the highway.

ersin and i are dirt whores, we wanted more dirt and headed towards the north side of big bear to hysteria.

didn't want ersin to lead and see the turkish tornado on the way home; here it seems he was saying something to me

trying to improve my over the shoulder shot, still sucky!

LED lights save lives (except if you're on the wrong lane)

the tornado kid getting bored so i let him get in front

mighty dry on this side of the mountain

tt trying to put a big gap between us and into the turn

too much wheel spin i guess

the crash was mild but with no upper body armor led to this; live and learn.

good i have a first aid kit in one of my bags. cleaned and patched tt, we're good to go again.

conservative riding for tt on the way home

don't ask me how we got here......bwahaha

breakfast at this familiar and historic joint - strange, we didn't see rider914 here

i took the crest on the way home, yeah, the next best thing to dirt riding

had a lemonade on my last stop

hope you guys enjoy the trip as well as the ride report. riding with you PPs is always a pleasure.

thank you all and good job rich! as always, ersin you've been a good riding partner and ride leader (just a tad too fast for me).

till the next one.

4 words - "ride while you can"

life is good!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #107
PERRO-FROM-HELL
Life is good

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post
sunday morning, we left camp before 10. bill, duy, rich and son took the highway.

ersin and i are dirt whores, we wanted more dirt and headed towards the north side of big bear to hysteria.

didn't want ersin to lead and see the turkish tornado on the way home; here it seems he was saying something to me

trying to improve my over the shoulder shot, still sucky!

LED lights save lives (except if you're on the wrong lane)

the tornado kid getting bored so i let him get in front

mighty dry on this side of the mountain

tt trying to put a big gap between us and into the turn

too much wheel spin i guess

the crash was mild but with no upper body armor led to this; live and learn.

good i have a first aid kit in one of my bags. cleaned and patched tt, we're good to go again.

conservative riding for tt on the way home

don't ask me how we got here......bwahaha

breakfast at this familiar and historic joint - strange, we didn't see rider914 here

i took the crest on the way home, yeah, the next best thing to dirt riding

had a lemonade on my last stop

hope you guys enjoy the trip as well as the ride report. riding with you PPs is always a pleasure.

thank you all and good job rich! as always, ersin you've been a good riding partner and ride leader (just a tad too fast for me).

till the next one.

4 words - "ride while you can"

life is good!

Great report Joel, hope the little Turkish Tornado is recovering, I'm hoping to have some free time at the end of October to be able to ride again!
PERRO-FROM-HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #108
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRO-FROM-HELL View Post
Great report Joel, hope the little Turkish Tornado is recovering, I'm hoping to have some free time at the end of October to be able to ride again!

hi diego, i know how one can be busy and miss some of the rides. we will have more and you can join us again. it should cool off ths october. yes, love to have you around, we always like good company and shiny bikes...
Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #109
ziao858
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Sunday is turn out to be the most challenging day for us. The plan is to access Lake Arrow Head from camp without asphalt. I have asked Joel the night before for the trail condition (3N34) and he told me that only small section of the trail with a “few” rocks… and get what we have to deal with the next day.

According to Joel. “ Its only a few rock”

Black Diamond rated trail 3N34

Entering to "The point of no return" zone.

Ed got stuck and here i come to help

Some more of the interesting moments

ziao858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #110
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

nice pics there danny.....

though that is the short cut to the camp, we avoided that one. not sure which is more difficult, down or uphill. i only did it once downhill and it was tough.

good to hear all you guys made it, and had a great weekend too.

and if you guys have a ride in san diego, please let us know and we'll join you....except we can't bring a refrigerator, microwave, toaster, and a generator, as well as the same amount of food you guys brought along....
Old 09-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #111
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

san bernardino usfs map

here's a link for the map of the area showing all legit trails and dirt roads

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5202570.pdf
Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #112
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

sierra nevada labor day weekend

the plan is spend the holiday and ride in Mammoth - Bodie - WMRS - Bishop

the labor weekend was a great timing, we had 3 days to ride and WMRS was having an open gate. this gate to the station is locked pretty much for the rest of the year, so this becomes a worthwhile trip considering it's a 300 mile drive (5 hours) from my house. best of all, the ride will take us to over 12k feet, which is an unusual experience for us living near sea level.

Sierra Nevada is one of the great places here in california for people who enjoys the outdoors.

heading north and leaving the l.a. gridlock on friday afternoon

we arrived at browns c.g. on benton crossing around 11pm and went to bed right away so we can get enough rest for the following morning.

the plan is to find a big bike dirt route from brown's to mono lake. this has been my quest since the last 4 years i've been going here. from mono lake, ride to bridgeport take as much dirt possible then to bodie then back to camp. avoid the pavement as much as we can.

at the campground waiting for rich.

it is a short ride to owens river road and soon we hit dirt

we really look like big insects......

then to the tree lined forest

did a quick stop at bald mountain lookout

looking towards mono lake

rich soaking in the view

coming down from the lookout

looking for that elusive turn

yeah, this is a good indication we found it....

more later
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #113
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

slabbed it on the 120 to the 395 to get the next route

north on the 395 with partial view of lake

got off the highway on virginia lakes, for more dirt

we came out a mile south of bridgeport and stop here for lunch, no massage.

good ortega burger

not sure what my partners are having, but they look good

across the street is the historic bridgeport inn. food was good there too when i went 4 years ago.

more later.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #114
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 619
No massages for the insects?! Blagh!!! Rich has no beard!!!! Nice pics Joel. Looks like fun.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #115
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,894
Day 1

Here is my RR for WMRS ride.

Day 1:

I did this ride last year for the first time. I put over 1,100 miles in 4 days and did lots and lots of dirt riding. We covered a lot of snowmobile tracks between June Lake and Lake Mammoth, etc.
This year neither I nor Rich wanted to ride so Rich took his Jeep and we put our bikes on his trailer. It was a slow, long but comfy drive. It took us about 8 hours to get to Brown's on Friday.

Rich told me the story of this water channel, all the way from Northern Cali to SC. Thank you William Mulholland.

Rich's Jeep was pulling at it's limit (almost 1,000 lbs) but it did pretty well. I think we got an average of 16 mpg's both way.

When we finally got to Brown's, it was almost midnight. Joel was the only one awake, waiting for us. We set up our tents, had couple beers under a gorgeous full moon and to bed.

All pictures are on my SmugMug.

Day 2 to come...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #116
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,894
Day 2

Day 2:

Next day everyone was up early. We had to, because sun was hot and there was no shade what so ever on Brown's CG.
Joel

Eric, Bill, Chris's camp:

4 new GSA's in the family

Robert or Bob:

Bruce:

Todd:

Chris:

Chris (Browneye), Bill and GSA group left early. Leaving us (Rich, Joel and I) behind in the camp for breakfast. Lorie (Joel's GF) prepared delicious egg & cheese sandwiches for us.

She seemed to be happy to be there but she didn't know about the "heat" of Brown's CG...

And finally around 10 am we began riding

First we took all dirt to Bald Mountain Lookout. Nice ride, little bit of rocks and sand but nothing serious. View was 360.

Then we rode some sandy forest roads to slab and to Bridgeport for lunch. Rich and I have some videos for this section, will come later.

Then it was time for Bodie. We met some local residents while we were working on out water crossing skills. They looked very entertained...

Rich chose to be clean

Finally Bodie down the hill

They are restoring the church

We needed to be back in camp for dinner so headed back before it was too late.

Saturday pot lock dinner was amazing. Tacos with carne asada, fresh salsa and guacamole, marinated chicken, etc. I think we all had good food.
Not too many pictures since my camera sucks at night shots.

After dinner, we gathered around camp fire and ended the night around 11pm.

Day 3 to come...

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube

FYYFF screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 08:02 AM
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #117
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,605
Great ride reports from all.

Thanks for the map link too.

Looking forward to getting up to Big Bear for some exploring. I raced mountain bikes up there for years but have never taken anything with a motor on any of those roads.

Any rides planed for the upcoming weekends??
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #118
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

ersin, your pics always turn out more lively than mine. it's time, i need a camera with faster lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
Great ride reports from all.

Thanks for the map link too.

Looking forward to getting up to Big Bear for some exploring. I raced mountain bikes up there for years but have never taken anything with a motor on any of those roads.

Any rides planed for the upcoming weekends??

still plenty of time to do big bear. but do it soon, we never know what could happen (fire season is still on).

on the regional, there's someone posted a big bear ride. hook up with them and have fun.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #119
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

after lunch, on to bodie

more pics of bodie

cow watching while waiting for rich

we love water crossing; ersin doing his best

rich could not get his skid plate wet.............

this place was deserted

bodie is at the end of this dirt road

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #120
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,370
Labor Day WMRS - Big Bikes

I tried to turn this ride into a real adventure ride doing the whole thing on the bike. The plan was to pack light and ride as much as possible. Still packed too much but rode a ton. Left HB late Thurs morning and heading north and east. On the north end of Adelanto, made a right turn on some dirt road heading east then after about 5 miles, turned left and headed north. Cris-crossed a couple trails and roads and got to Kramer Junction. Back onto 395 until Olancha, from there I rode up to the road running along the aqueduct and power lines running along the foothills to Lone Pine. There was some pretty nasty silt beds on that road.

Lunch in Bishop

Owens Gorge Road is awesome

Got to Browns at about 3:30 and nobody was there, Bill’s truck was there but no Bill. Met a very interesting guy from Bakersfield riding a Royal Streamliner and looking to go fishing. Headed down to the Owens and caught some trout that Wesley was happy to take for dinner.

Friday headed out for Coyote Flats via Benton Crossing Rd and Casa Diablo. Eventually the team was able to find Casa Diablo and off we went to Bishop.

That road is a big bike super highway. This is also about where my camera died (again).
The whole group headed up the sand wash (road) to the base of the mountain. A couple of the crew turned around after the sand and me, Chris and Eric headed up to Coyote Flats. Me and Chris before heading up:

We got about 3/4 ‘s of the way up and we just ran out of time. That trail is a lot of work on the big bike, felt every pound of the bike on the way up, coming down was much easier.

Back at camp, fished with Chris, got my limit and cooked up some nice roasted trout that Bill and I gladly devoured.
(photo by Slugdad)

Saturday was a very frustrating day. I was really looking forward to scenic trails from Mammoth to June Loop and then on to Bodie. We never really found the tracks, did tons of detours and then found lots of sand and silt. Decided to hang back with Bill knowing that there would be a lot of picking up bikes at the back of the group . That theory proved true and I got in a good workout. Finally got to Bodie, line of cars to get in and I was done. Bill and I raced for Lake Lundy and caught a stringer full of fish, couple real nice ones.

Sunday ended up to be the ride worth the whole trip. Chiablo Canyon was awesome, Silver Canyon was awesome and challenging. Here are a bunch of big bikes at the top of Silver Canyon (photo by Fudgy)

the ride up to WMRS was fast and loose power sliding out of every turn ... at WMRS

lastly down Wyman Canyon, that was FANTASTIC! Ended the dirt and went all turn burner over 168 to Big Pine. Bruce is really fast in the twisties, had to really push to stay with him.

Ended up in Bishop for dinner at the Back Alley with Eric and Bill. Gave a shout ut to Aram who was with the little bike crew and he came over as well. At 8:00 I had to get rolling and headed back home. Stopped in Pearsonville for gas and my fist ever 5 Hour Energy drink. That little shot really helped get me home … got home at 12:30, took a shower and passed out.

AWESOME WEEKEND!

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote