ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!
 
SpecialAgentNancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 480
Spot Satellite Tracker

As my ride to Portugal approaches and I've checked my lists a dozen times now and can't think of anything else to do but wait with giddy excitement....I thought I would feed the "adventure monkey" in me by posting about one of the best possible devices you can have and my experience of using one for 4 years now.

The Spot Tracker can save your life.

Some basic rules to live by:

1.Wear it on you.
Some companies make mounts for them on the bike. What if the bike goes over a precipice and you manage to not go with it. Where is your spot? On the ledge where you can't get to it and it's probably facing down if murphy is sitting next to you in the dirt. There is an armband strap that is functional and allows you to see the flashing red light when the battery is low because eventually it will just stop working and that's no good either.
Also you don't want some kids to get a hold of it and hit the 911 button....more on that later.

2. Get the tracker subscription.
Most of us have someone at home worried about us, or friends we want to boast to later about our ride. Either way get the tracking function. This way someone can see the route you are taking so if something does go wrong they have an idea where to start. (see #1) Plus it's a great way to figure out where the heck you were all day if you don't have GPS like me and love getting lost. It's a hassle to push the OK button and because it doesn't always get a signal through, less reliable.

3. Carry extra lithium batteries.
Most countries just don't have these. When I ride my month long trips I bring 2 extra sets and put fresh ones in the unit. I might hit the second set but once when I had to get normal batteries, they were done in about 4 days.

4. Buy the Medivac and Roadside Assistance insurance that they offer with it. You get it for half off when you have a spot and I sure wish I had this when I crashed in some mountains of Bulgaria where people come to hunt and I dislocated my shoulder and could have never ridden out without help.

My funny story that will prove how well this works.

In Turkey I was riding along a dirt road and this was back when I used to mount it to the bike....it fell off and some local kids got a hold of it and of course hit all the buttons. Because I had the tracking on I was able to locate the last signal which was coincidentally close to where they were hanging around so I knew they had it.
I didn't know if they hit the buttons and had no way to tell in the middle of nowhere so I went on my merry way hoping that everything was ok.
Within 1 hour, the border patrol, the military police and the local city police of the nearest town all came and found me in Ani separately. Turns out the boys did hit 911 and they took it VERY SERIOUSLY and came to find me and make sure I was OK. I was so impressed with the way they responded. They had my name, a description of me and came right at me like I was in some big trouble. It was kinda scary but I quickly realized why they all knew who I was and I was grateful beyond words.

I hear about how people are abusing this privilege here in the US but I tell you, I will never travel without it on me ever.
__________________
SpecialAgentNancy

SpecialAgentNancy screwed with this post 07-25-2012 at 09:31 AM
SpecialAgentNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Tourbus
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pleasant Hope Mo. Escapee from the Tax Nightmare
Oddometer: 114
Which SPOT do you have/recommend, The original SPOT or SPOT 2?

Thanks

Butch
Tourbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
SpecialAgentNancy OP
& your little dog 2!
 
SpecialAgentNancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 480
I have the second gen but don't have the texting option.

I've ridden with friends that have that and it seems like a cool idea so I've thought about upgrading but I do these rides to get away not to stay connected.
__________________
SpecialAgentNancy
SpecialAgentNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
Strega
Black is a color
 
Strega's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 474
I'd also HIGHLY recommend you register on my site if you have a SPOT.

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Couple reasons why:
1) It's free
2) Easy to remember short links so your SPOT. Such as: http://strega.whereamiriding.com
3) Simple for friends and family to view
4) Custom overlays like, temps, clouds, auto-refresh, twiiter account overlay (if you use twitter), and much more

Here's an example of my last trip, HERE
__________________
-Roger

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Capt.saveaho
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt.saveaho's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Mill Valley, CA
Oddometer: 296
I donno about these things...

I have one and I pay for just about everything you can and it has been pretty dodgy. I went on a trip to Idaho and sent a bunch of texts and my family only got one, I couldn't get it to track me, I never tried 911 because I was afraid it might work.

maybe I'm messing up somewhere but I definitely didn't feel like I had that extra protection I was paying for.
__________________
2007 525exc
2011 990 Adventure with 08 S suspension!!!
13hp road race 50
Capt.saveaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
boney
Ride > Post
 
boney's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Sonoma CA
Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strega View Post
I'd also HIGHLY recommend you register on my site if you have a SPOT.

http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com

Couple reasons why:
1) It's free
2) Easy to remember short links so your SPOT. Such as: http://strega.whereamiriding.com
3) Simple for friends and family to view
4) Custom overlays like, temps, clouds, auto-refresh, twiiter account overlay (if you use twitter), and much more

Here's an example of my last trip, HERE
That pretty cool and a neat alternative to spotwalla.

It seems though, that whatever twitter has to do with your site, it slows it down horribly, as nothing will load until twitter gets whatever it is that it does loaded. EDIT: much faster when I turn it off.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,644
that's a great story!!!

i'm a fan of SPOT. i have been looking at the newer ACR 406 with the "OK" button.

i currently have SPOT 2 and have been looking at the SPOT Connect (links with your iPhone/Android phone) to text. but my friend that has it has to sign out of the app then sign back in to text. where as my SPOT 2 i just hit "OK" and i move on. also, what happens when your iPhone goes dead, your only options on the Connect unit is to send "HELP" or "911".


but like you said, ALWAYS WEAR IT ON YOU. don't have it on your bike.

i heard of a guy riding single track and his bike went off the trail and he was still on the trail. there is no way he could hit the "HELP" button. luckily for him, some other riders rode by and he waves them down. but what if there was no one else anywhere.

i always wear a backpack so i have mine zip tied to the cross strap.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder
 
Just Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Fremont, Ca
Oddometer: 2,093
Great Story Nancy

I was also tracked down using my spot

basically reported missing by camp host where we parked our truck (misunderstanding)
long story short my spot was on and in tracking mode and I was tracked by the sherrif dept and found to be ok..

it works !

the sheriff got my spot info from the local cop that went to my house and relayed that info back to the sheriff in the area I was riding..
__________________
Honda 450X (plated)
KTM Adventure S
Paul's SPOT TRACKER

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
that's a great story!!!

i'm a fan of SPOT. i have been looking at the newer ACR 406 with the "OK" button.

i currently have SPOT 2 and have been looking at the SPOT Connect (links with your iPhone/Android phone) to text. but my friend that has it has to sign out of the app then sign back in to text. where as my SPOT 2 i just hit "OK" and i move on. also, what happens when your iPhone goes dead, your only options on the Connect unit is to send "HELP" or "911".


but like you said, ALWAYS WEAR IT ON YOU. don't have it on your bike.

i heard of a guy riding single track and his bike went off the trail and he was still on the trail. there is no way he could hit the "HELP" button. luckily for him, some other riders rode by and he waves them down. but what if there was no one else anywhere.

i always wear a backpack so i have mine zip tied to the cross strap.
I too have been looking at the Spot and the ACR 406. The cost is a bit more for the ACR over the Spot, but there is no annual fee for service or tracking. I do not think you get the fancy text message feature. I have heard much better things about the ability to get an emergency signal out if you need to with the ACR.

There is a good video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=fTUQOWhyYAs

There is also a promotion going on now through the end of August with the ACR...

http://www.acrelectronics.com/landing/summer-promotion/

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #10
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,331
+1 for wearing it on you.

Does no good if you are separated from your bike.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #11
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer
 
ballisticexchris's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Costa Mesa CA
Oddometer: 790
One thing too keep in mind. The SPOT, ACR and any other tracking device is absolutely worthless if you get knocked unconscious.

Still, a good tool for what it is. If I had the dough, a satellite phone would be a much better choice than any tracking device. I have been looking at the SAT phones. Looks like the basic phone is about 600 bucks with 60.00 per month subscription for 10 minutes usage.

I am thinking all these electronic options for the SPOT such as messaging, smart phone apps, etc make things way to complicated. It's hard to know your name let alone figuring out what button to push when you ring the clock
__________________
Happy Trails
Chris
05 KTM300EXC,
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #12
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
One thing too keep in mind. The SPOT, ACR and any other tracking device is absolutely worthless if you get knocked unconscious.

Still, a good tool for what it is. If I had the dough, a satellite phone would be a much better choice than any tracking device. I have been looking at the SAT phones. Looks like the basic phone is about 600 bucks with 60.00 per month subscription for 10 minutes usage.

I am thinking all these electronic options for the SPOT such as messaging, smart phone apps, etc make things way to complicated. It's hard to know your name let alone figuring out what button to push when you ring the clock

you have that backwards

a satellite phone would be absolutely worthless if you get knocked unconscious.

if you get knocked unconscious OR WORSE the SPOT, ACR and any other tracking device
would show that you have stop moving
and show those coordinants so who ever is looking out for you can find you and help you,
or at least they can find your body before the coyotes scatter it

even if you go down in an area that doesn't send a good signal the last place it sent a signal and the one before it will show the general direction you MAY have been heading and will at least be a better starting point for SAR than your house or wherever you parked your truck

airborndad screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 10:07 AM
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #13
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialAgentNancy View Post
As my ride to Portugal approaches and I've checked my lists a dozen times now and can't think of anything else to do but wait with giddy excitement....I thought I would feed the "adventure monkey" in me by posting about one of the best possible devices you can have and my experience of using one for 4 years now.

The Spot Tracker can save your life.

Some basic rules to live by:

1.Wear it on you.
Some companies make mounts for them on the bike. What if the bike goes over a precipice and you manage to not go with it. Where is your spot? On the ledge where you can't get to it and it's probably facing down if murphy is sitting next to you in the dirt. There is an armband strap that is functional and allows you to see the flashing red light when the battery is low because eventually it will just stop working and that's no good either.
Also you don't want some kids to get a hold of it and hit the 911 button....more on that later.
Nancy

where did you get the armband strap and what brand was the one that you were wearing in Death Valley

have fun in Portugal
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #14
Strega
Black is a color
 
Strega's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
That pretty cool and a neat alternative to spotwalla.

It seems though, that whatever twitter has to do with your site, it slows it down horribly, as nothing will load until twitter gets whatever it is that it does loaded. EDIT: much faster when I turn it off.
That's why I give the user the option to turn it on/off. Twitter being slow I can't help unfortunately :(
__________________
-Roger

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Strega
Black is a color
 
Strega's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Oddometer: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
One thing too keep in mind. The SPOT, ACR and any other tracking device is absolutely worthless if you get knocked unconscious
Absolutely untrue. If you're unconscious, the only device (that's been mentioned) that's going to help you is your SPOT w/ Tracking. The SPOT will keep pinging in the same location every ten minutes while you're unconscious and would let someone know you weren't moving. A Sat Phone, EPIRB, or ELT will not help you in that case, a SPOT will.
__________________
-Roger

Bikes: ['09 KTM 690 RR]['98 KTM 620 Adv]['07 WR 450F]['99 YAM R6]
Duties: [D37 - GPS Coordinator][C.O.R.E - VP / Site Admin]
Support: [Where Am I Riding][Dual Sport Moto][C.O.R.E.][Nomadic Racks][Dual Sport Maps]
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014