Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
JLAW3000 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
TAT: Boulder to Moab, White Rim, and back! The tale of a plank, mishaps, mayhem, and

TAT: Boulder to Moab, White Rim, and back! The tale of a plank, mishaps, mayhem, and glory.

INTRO:
(Aug 31st through Sept. 7th)

Well, this is long overdue but the changing weather and long work days spent staring at my desktop have made me yearn for Adventure. So, I'll reflect on our trip to fill the emptiness and reminisce on one of the best trips of my life. Seeing as this is a report after the fact I'll try to keep it brief and update it when I find time.

Throttle Twisters (I'll explain later):
Eric: WR250
Nate: WR250
Adam: XR650
Me: DRZ 400

Special thanks to Nate and Eric for doing the majority of planning! Nate for the Go-Pro and this awesome time laps for most of the trip (sans when it decided to run out of batteries when things got epic). Also, a special thanks to Plank... the small piece of wood integral to the structural support of my 9 bungee luggage system on the DRZ (racks are overrated.. code for I'm cheap). Lastly to Sam for the route, great job!

(I'd skip 3:30-5:30 as its dark.... its HD if you make it) Day 6 and 7 are not included as they were just the long slab home.

We left Eric's house in Lafayette on August 31st. (Yep that's the Friday of Labor day Weekend)

Day 1:
Boulder to Aspen Ridge Trail North of Salida (Hwy 93, 285, to CR187)

Mishaps:
- Walmart in Lafayette to get hand pump that we all had but left at home thinking somebody would be smart enough to bring theirs... nope!
- Labor day weekend traffic... We sat in about 2 hours of bumper bumper on hwy93 and hwy285.

Mayhem:
- Riding in the dark on 285 and cr187 with stock lighting on all of our bikes. A pickup decides to pass us on the left while we were turning left (CLEARLY SIGNALLING) off of 285 onto 187.... we are still here, spare me the lecture.
- Nate's baptism by fire begins with his second dirt experience being at night after a long day of riding (and a near death experience just before getting on the dirt).

Glory:
- Nate kills it on the dirt, exhausted from the day, he sees a large sandy hill, climbs it, and finds our first camp spot.
- Lucky for us the moon is full, the sky is clear, and we don't even need our headlamps to set up camp. Epic.

Plank (That little piece of wood under my bags)
From ADV Ride
Throttle Twisters:
From ADV Ride
Day 1 Camp:
From ADV Ride
Nates 1st hill climb:
From ADV Ride

(More days, photos, and videos to come...)

JLAW3000 screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 07:11 AM
JLAW3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAW3000 View Post
(More days, photos, and videos to come...)
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
JLAW3000 OP
Adventurer

Pics starting

Day 1 Pics are up, in the time lapse video Day one is (0:00 -> 5:30)
Old 10-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
JLAW3000 OP
Adventurer

Day 2

DAY 2: Finished Aspen Ridge (cr185) and rode into Salida in the morning. Stopped at Heydukes place to rub it in and ate some breakfast. Up to Monarch pass (flat tire), through some county roads, found a little reservoir with a picnic table and set up camp.

Mishaps: A few miles up Monarch pass I ran over what can only be called a rail-road spike of a nail nail... wth!
Patch... fail... patch.... fail... oh... it blew out the other side too... HUGE RAINSTORM... patch... fail.. fark it...new tube... success!! (Glad we stopped at Walmart)

Mayhem: When looking for our campsite we found a great spot.... unfortunately it was occupied with the 4 wheeler types. So we went down the road and found a better spot. About 20 minutes later while we were setting up, 4 of the young ladies came by on their 4 wheelers and proceeded to do doughnuts 20 yards from our camp in the mud for about 15 minutes straight.... I'm assuming they were trying to show off but they a)almost ran into eachother and b)almost rolled over countless times. We had been riding all day and weren't in the mood. Besides.... they were too young or too drunk to be much interest.

Glory: a HUGE thunder storm rolled in that night. Seeing as we were camped in a wash out next to a reservoir... well in the low part of the flood plain... we had a good scare that we might get flooded out in the middle of the night. We all survived the night relatively dry.

Leaving Camp
From ADV Ride

Flat tire
From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride

Campsite.
From ADV Ride

JLAW3000 screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 07:10 AM
Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
JLAW3000 OP
Adventurer

Day 3

DAY 3: (9:30-12:30 in the vid)
Get a wet but early start after the thunder storm the previous evening. An hour later we role into Lake City and eat at Nana's restaurant after being pointed that way by the gas station cashier (really good food). From there it is up and over the passes. I'll be the thousandth person but holy shit. I've lived in Colorado my whole life and this takes the cake, plain and simple. We hit highway 550, go south past the turn off to Ophir pass and camp for the night.

Mishaps: A few drops throughout the day but over all a relatively smooth day of riding, we had definitely found our groove by this point. Or so we think.... until we set up camp. Nate's tent shifted at some point throughout the day to rest right on his pipe. Some duck tape.... lots of duck tape... start considering sharing tents.... more duck tape.... mended!

Mayhem: Thunder and lighting on Corkscrew... a bit frightening at times, meh, a little lighting never hurt anyone .

Glory: Some of the most amazing scenery in Colorado, hands down. Plank and my luggage system survives another day. The sunset at our camp spot.

All packed up
From ADV Ride

Nana's
From ADV Ride

And the passes
From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride
From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride
From ADV Ride

The obligatory
From ADV Ride

The Forks
From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride

Passes Cont.
From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride

From ADV Ride

Camp
From ADV Ride
The tent, probably 4-5 holes of this size... Mended
From ADV Ride

more to come

JLAW3000 screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 09:21 PM
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Moxy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Nate reporting in

hey Jake thanks for putting this together! I had almost started to WORK at my job, thank god you were just in time

long live plank!
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
aeos42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Adam here from the trip (I'm riding the XRL). Wanted to fill in with some details.

The passes on day 3 (which Jake hasn't done yet) were by far the hardest riding I've done. Jake and Eric were the more experienced riders (well, Jake is more of an inhuman dirtbiking machine) and Nate and I are the less experienced. I was usually towing the rear as the heaviest bike (and thus pack-mule) of the group.

Nate and I both blasted confidently through day 2 (technical uphill part? JUST THROTTLE IT!).

Day 3, especially with those nasty downhill switchbacks, was more of an 'oh shit oh shit oh shit' day--for me at least. Corkscrew Pass will be forever stamped in my memory as some of the most gnarly trail I've ever done. Those switchbacks--slick with mud and rain--put the fear of God (or death) in me.

It was also probably the most exhausting day, but hell I had fun and I would do it again!

And one more thing that will probably recur throughout this ride report: the Deathwings, aka Bridgestone Trailwings aka my tires on the trip. Great on the asphalt but man were they squirrely in the loose stuff. I particularly remember going through dry riverbeds in Moab (full of sand)--my rear was slaloming as my front was not. But they got me through, more or less.

Look forward to more posts by you Jake!

Adam
aeos42 is offline   Reply With Quote