User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
woodly1069 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
So...what hasn't been done?

Very simply, I've read ride reports from seemingly everywhere and most all of them are very inspiring. Kudos to all who have reported, thanks for taking us along!
I just want to know what the most exotic/remote place to ride would be. I want to go where people have never seen a motorcycle...any thoughts?
woodly1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I can't advise. I guess the real question is why is this question necessary. Somebody will ask it eventually.

In 1992 I asked a similar question on UseNet about the route to, what appeared to me as a neglected destination, the route to Goose Bay, Labrador. Nobody knew much.

Today it's one of the alternatives to Alaska.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
ty.zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
The most "exotic" place I've rode was up above the arctic circle at CFS Alert... however there are NO motorcycles there... so I had to make do with ATV's and BV206's :

tyz
ty.zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Mike_drz
Banned

Oddometer: 402
Wicked

ATV - Ass To Vertical

_____
can you make any art out of these?
Mike_drz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,733
scott base to South pole?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Krang
Rides with hippies

Oddometer: 382
Jumping from the stratosphere on a WR250?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Since I cannot afford to do even a 1/16th of what most people on here seem to be able to do, I'm committed to making a variety of parody ride reports once I get my bike (hopefully sometime in the near future if my fucking attorney will get off their ass ). Stay tuned
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
battlecattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Ice roads?
2014 CRF250L
battlecattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
What about the north pole? Not the one in Alaska, but the magnetic north pole. Top Gear went there on Pickup trucks, so in theory it could be possible to do it with motorcycles. But the challenges are even greater. Weather, extreme temperatures (for you and the bike!), bears, breaking through the ice, getting stuck, and not even thinking about the logistics of food and fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodly1069 View Post
I want to go where people have never seen a motorcycle...
Then again, there will be no people who could have seen their first foreigner on a motorcycle.

Really remote places untouched by motorcycle travel are rare. Of course, the Easter Island or the Cook Islands probably haven't seen any, but it's just not interesting and big enough to bring your bike there.

But there is still Russia. I am thinking about stuff like those crazy polish guys did, or what Colebatch is doing. Far north and far east should be your creed. If fuel and food is not an issue, the 'roads' are. Even on light weight bikes, you can't do everything. What about huge streams? Swamplands? No problem with Kamaz trucks or dedicated offroad machinery. Other problems could be political - many places are off limit for foreigners or even for russians who don't live there. But this is slowly getting better and thus new places to go to appear. This would be my best guess for places where no one really has been.

On the other hand, as it has been mentioned before, you can always up the ante by going in winter.

It's interesting thinking about those places to go. But in the end, I think it's only academical. Everything has been done. We are too late.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
kimangao
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
I wouldn't focus that much on the "where" but on the "how". And "how" has always something to do with the "who".

That's why I sometimes enjoy reading a RR from round the corner more than an exotic Somalia to Bikini Atoll.

Cheers

Dirk, trying to focus ....
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,335
I put a bike in LaPoile and Grand Bruit Newfoundland once. (Google earth them). There are no roads to there and they have since closed the town of Grand Bruit and resettled the inhabitants. I slung the bike on with a deck crane and tied it onto the foredeck stanchions. There were kids there that had never seen a bike in their community and it was a very cool experience. Lifted it off the next day in Burgeo and rode up from there.
I did it into Roncontre as well but i was not the first. Lift it onto the foredeck with slings in Bay L'argent and take it off in Pooles Cove.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
ty.zardoz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
What about the north pole? Not the one in Alaska, but the magnetic north pole. Top Gear went there on Pickup trucks, so in theory it could be possible to do it with motorcycles. But the challenges are even greater. Weather, extreme temperatures (for you and the bike!), bears, breaking through the ice, getting stuck, and not even thinking about the logistics of food and fuel.

Then again, there will be no people who could have seen their first foreigner on a motorcycle.

Really remote places untouched by motorcycle travel are rare. Of course, the Easter Island or the Cook Islands probably haven't seen any, but it's just not interesting and big enough to bring your bike there.

But there is still Russia. I am thinking about stuff like those crazy polish guys did, or what Colebatch is doing. Far north and far east should be your creed. If fuel and food is not an issue, the 'roads' are. Even on light weight bikes, you can't do everything. What about huge streams? Swamplands? No problem with Kamaz trucks or dedicated offroad machinery. Other problems could be political - many places are off limit for foreigners or even for russians who don't live there. But this is slowly getting better and thus new places to go to appear. This would be my best guess for places where no one really has been.

On the other hand, as it has been mentioned before, you can always up the ante by going in winter.

It's interesting thinking about those places to go. But in the end, I think it's only academical. Everything has been done. We are too late.

CFS Alert is actually just ABOVE the magnetic north pole. There are NO polar bears that far north. If you are lucky you MIGHT see arctic wolves, fox and perhaps even a muskox. If you happen to see an arctic hare you can have some fun... chase them with your vehicle. Now before folks go crying "cruelty to animals" . There is absolutely NO chance of hitting one of them... you gotta see how these little buggers RUN! They literally stand up on their back legs and boy oh boy... do these little fellas BOOGEY!!! They rip along so fast their ears lay back with the wind... they actually LEAN into curves just like we do to negotiate a high speed turn ... I tell ya the first time I saw this I almost pee'd my pants I was laughing so hard.

I really wish I had a bike to ride while I was up there.. but no such luck. The tundra in many places is quite friendly to a properly equipped motorcycle... at least during the summer season. During the winter season a BV206 is your BEST FRIEND as it can negotiate dam near anything you might want to throw at it for terrain.

tyz
ty.zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
ADHD
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The entire Canol Road in NWT.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,921
why isn't this in trip planning?