Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #46
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,039
Saturday I got up early (from a comfortable bed in an AC cabin) to get make some calls and get online. Work can get in the way of having fun.

I wanted to be at the campground by 9:00 because Ramey "Coach" Stroud http://ridecoach.com/index.php was giving a class on slow speed maneuvers and I could use some coaching.

Coach Stroud has done it all! He has competed and won at the highest levels on dirt or track. But most impressive to me is how he can take that knowledge and teach it to a class of riders of different levels.

Photo by Visian

Coaches enthusiasm for teaching makes it easy to learn.

After the morning class a few of us went to the Oark General Store for lunch;

Pictures by Tracy Novacich (GS Queen)

After lunch we all split up. I went and explored the area between the Arkansas River and the campground because I had ridden quite a bit of the area north of the camp over the past few years.

Not everyone went to the morning class. Many took off to explore the Ozarks. Troy Wolf supplied a number of local routes people could download to their GPS. He spend a lot of time putting them together and had them broken down to easy, intermediate and advanced.

A group of about 10-12 started following an advanced routes that lead them to some real adventures in Frog Bayou. I was not there so don't know exactingly what happened but I heard some of the riders at the time of the adventure were using Troys name in vain. According to the rumor I heard, while stuck at the bottom of the Bayou some were worried they could be stranded for a long long time and started looking at each other as future meals. Again that is only a rumor.

Ian did post a video of the Bayou Boys.
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=37

If anyone was there please add your story.

I did hear from many of the riders that the adventure into Frog Bayou was the best part of the Gypsy tour. For those riders it will be the most memorable part of the entire adventure.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 AM   #47
Kev95GS
goob

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
... According to the rumor I heard, while stuck at the bottom of the Bayou some were worried they could be stranded for a long long time and started looking at each other as future meals. Again that is only a rumor.

Ian did post a video of the Bayou Boys. [/SIZE][/SIZE]http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....4&postcount=37

If anyone was there please add your story.

I did hear from many of the riders that the adventure into Frog Bayou was the best part of the Gypsy tour. For those riders it will be the most memorable part of the entire adventure.

We decided Staggs would be able to feed most of us so he was first up for slaughter.

It was a great adventure & will be talked about for some time. I'm sure the story will get better over time.

Kevin
Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #48
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

The next day, I received a phone call and would have to leave early. I had cattle get out and needed to repair some fence. However before I left I wanted to lean more from Coach Stroud. He was going to talk about higher speed turns.

After his class I headed to KS. Along the way I did stop to grab the SW Corner of the MO FO Tour. With that stop I completed the entire tour and visited all four corners of MO and traveled over 1300 miles to do it.

I get to my place and have steers everyplace but where they are suppose to be.

I spend the entire afternoon and early evening fixing fence in over 100 degree weather. This was not how I planned on spending the day.

The sunset that night was pretty.

And I was very comfortable sleeping in my own bed at my cabin.

My plan was to get up early, move the cattle back into the proper pasture and then head to the Rally in Sedalia.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

I found out I missed the best part of the Gypsy tour on Arkansas. There was in impromptu skills challenge and a course was laid out and many people jumped at the challenge.

These pictures of the challenge were taken by Tracy Novacich:

I really missed some fun.

Check out this vid of the fun.

">

Damn, I'm sorry I missed that part. $*#%ing cattle!

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 08-23-2012 at 09:22 AM
Old 08-25-2012, 11:29 AM   #50
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,166
some wild riding in that trials event!!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #51
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
some wild riding in that trials event!!
I'm still sorry I missed it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #52
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Wednesday morning my plan is to get up early and move cattle into the proper pasture and then ride gravel/dirt roads to Sedalia to meet back up with the GS Giants.

That was my plan. Of course things don't always work that way. I was able to move the cattle over easy enough. This late in summer they are trained well enough that they will come to the truck to get fed. I was able to "Pied Piperer" them across the creek into the proper field.

Once there I got them in the proper field I stated feeding them. That is where my plan took a mayor delay. I could smell something bad, very bad, like a skunk and decay all in one. I checked over all the cattle saw what originated the odor. A steer's head was swollen and festering from either a rattlesnake or copperhead bite. The right side was twice normal and oozing puss. Cattle will live through a snake bite but a little medical attention help a lot. I ended catching the steer, lancing the abscess with a pocket knife, squeeze out much of the puss and then adding antiseptic to the wound and give a shot of antibiotics. The little operation itself did not talk a lot of time but catching that one animal and getting the needed supplies took time.

I finally got on my way to Sedalia around 2:00. My original route would have taken about 5 + hours. I decided on a more direct route that would be about 3 hours.

Nothing of great interest happened on my way to the Rally however I did see this:

Missouri political humor. (Check out the names on the door.)

At the rally Ian and staff was working on the track. It was going to be a lot of fun and a challenge.

These photos are all by Ian (Visian)

Bill Conger from the BMW Performance Center testing out the track:

Bill even had time to give me some advice:

The track looked to be a lot of fun even a little intimidation. Tomorrow, morning the track is to be open for practice. I won't be able to play because I volunteered to lead a scenic lunch ride. I hope I have time to play latter.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #53
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,647
Well, Eddie... you're just about to get to the good part,so I'll post this video to give folks a little overview of the whole event.

Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #54
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visian View Post
Well, Eddie... you're just about to get to the good part,so I'll post this video to give folks a little overview of the whole event.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #55
TroyWolf
Safety 3rd

Oddometer: 425
Thumb

Great video recap, Ian! Eddie, thanks for sharing! I hope a few other folks chime in who were there. Sure looks like a great time!
Arkansas OHV Conservation Assoc.RideForum.NETAMA #1009541 ■ BlueRibbon #42185 ■ 11 BMW F800GS ■ 09 Honda CRF 50 ■ 07 KTM 450 EXC ■ 99 KTM 300 EXC
TroyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #56
Visian
Look out!

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyWolf View Post
Great video recap, Ian! Eddie, thanks for sharing! I hope a few other folks chime in who were there. Sure looks like a great time!
Hey Troy - thanks again for putting together those excellent routes in Arkansas... everyone loved them.
Visian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,229
After the morning class a few of us went to the Oark General Store for lunch;

Troy Wolf supplied a number of local routes people could download to their GPS. He spend a lot of time putting them together and had them broken down to easy, intermediate and advanced.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Hope you got to enjoy some frog legs at the cafe - big suckers, last time I ate there and the peach cobbler too.

Good to see hear that Troy is still making routes in the Ozarks. It has been a few years since I've seen him, but he helped plan an unofficial dualsport week for about 30 of us with tons of great trails. I need to get back down there again sometime.

Anwho - looks like a lot of fun was had - thanks for the pics.