User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #151
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
Day 16: Jellystone National Park

I awoke fairly early to rays of sunlight streaming through the clouds, illuminating the inside of my tent. Peeking outside, I saw nobody else was up and noticed the rain was still coming down. I fell back asleep. Finally around 8:30 I wrested myself out of my sleeping bag and found that the rain had stopped and everything was starting to dry out.

We broke camp slowly so things could dry before being packed away for the day. I hate to put a tent away wet, as it can easily dampen the entire bag it's put in. We packed up our pickanick baskets and hit the road South, bound for Yellowstone.

It was nice easy riding country, and we enjoyed a break from the rain even if it was a bit chilly.

The chill was welcome after the heat of the previous week, but the humidity gave it a little more bite than the heat.

We spotted Yogi just before the entrance to the park.

Hot on the heels of some rain storm, we began a clockwise loop around Yellowstone.

A short hike to some of the scenery was a much welcomed break from riding. Our fist stop was the "Artist's Paint Pots" which is a cool little thermal area.

Things weren't terribly active today in this spot - but that's the amazing thing about Yosemite. The thermal features of the park are constantly changing!

Boiling mud - super exciting, right?

We finished the hike and rode on to the next interesting spot on the loop - Norris Geyser Basin.

Was it the gas that made everyone squint?

Norris Geyser Basin is a massive active area, and the most dynamic in Yellowstone. Definitely a fascinating area.

We hiked around here for a bit admiring the sights but not particularly enjoying the smells.

Then, off again!
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #152
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJH View Post
Yeehaa - the story continiues!

Thank you so much for your effort in this RR, I'm enjoying each post!
Thanks for your compliments! I'm glad you're enjoying it
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #153
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 619
Just finished reading your RR. This looks like an absolute blast of a trip. I can't wait to see where you head next. Keep the pictures and stories coming!
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #154
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Riding through spotty patches of rain for a little while kept me from warming up too much, but finally the sun broke through and looked like it would stick around for a while. We rode on, turning South and stopping off for another little hike to see the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone.

A little crowded, but not a bad view if I do say so myself.

There is a paved walkway down the edge of the canyon that we followed for a little while, until we tired of the crowds.

We rode on to another vista

Quite a spot, and quite a drop.

Soak in the view, and ride on for more!

Office with a view

We cruised across the open plains for a bit and watched some Buffalo in the distance.

I almost forgot I was in a National Park until...

Someone had to stop and take pictures of a Deer. I choked on diesel fumes from the trucks and RVs in front of us while we waited for traffic to clear up. No matter, there's plenty to look at!

I believe this is called the "Dragon's Mouth"

This reminds me of a book that's worth a look called "Death in Yellowstone". It's an account of all the foolish mistakes those in the shallow end of the gene pool made in Yellowstone and didn't live to tell about. Some are gruesome, but it's a fun read :P

We rode South along beautiful Yellowstone Lake

headed for Old Faithful. We were here, we had to go see it!

Riding there, the temperature started to drop and clouds started to pick up. Just as we pull in the parking lot the drizzle began. I knew we were going to have a long night ahead of us...

We loafed around at Old Faithful, splitting up for a bit and taking a break indoors. I got a much needed cup of coffee while Bernie had some ice cream and we sat, watching the geyser burble in the distance. After the eruption it was time to get moving South and look for a place to camp. The weather had a biting chill now, the sun disappearing behind the trees as we rode towards the exit of the park. After stopping for fuel we rode South on 89 making fast tracks for Jackson Lake and the campground at it's shore. No sooner had we left the park than the clouds blew in and the skies opened up. *It was miserable riding and I cursed myself as I led on, the wind driving the rain and the chill right through my suit. The gore-tex liner provided a great wind barrier but did nothing to keep the rain from soaking every inch of me.

50 or so miles later, it was over. We arrived at the Jackson Lake campground and luckily managed to find an open site. As if on cue, the rain began to let up just as we pulled in to our site for the night. I hated to be in an RV campground but we had to do laundry and at least here we'd get a shower and some hot food. Definitely a worthwhile stop.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 01:07 PM
Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #155
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Are you just whipping out a point and shoot camera as you're riding along, or do you have something like a GoPro mounted on the bike?
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #156
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

The first one. It's a cannon S100. Love that camera!

epicxcrider screwed with this post 02-13-2013 at 06:35 AM
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #157
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Happy with GPS

Thanks for continuing to report on this ride. I have an F800, too, and I ride the west. I am looking forward to going further north, from my home in NM, this summer. I see you are using the Garmin Montana GPS....how did it work out; are you happy with it?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM   #158
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemezMtns View Post
Thanks for continuing to report on this ride. I have an F800, too, and I ride the west. I am looking forward to going further north, from my home in NM, this summer. I see you are using the Garmin Montana GPS....how did it work out; are you happy with it?
The Montana is a great unit, I have a mount on the bike and in my truck for it. I wouldn't recommend anything else over that for an all around nav / mapping unit.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #159
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 17: Wide Wyoming

Dried up, cleaned up, and fueled up we were ready to hit the road the next morning. We had reached the difficult decision to abandon the CDR at this point for a multitude of reasons, time being the most pressing one. After enjoying a cloudy but beautiful view of the Grand Tetons (who doesn't like Tetons in the morning) we set off Southeast looking to make Colorado by nightfall.

It was a beautiful day for a ride, just the right temperature with the sun shining brightly overhead as we put slab behind us.

Lush countryside flew by with the wind, the noise dulled by a set of earplugs. I had the feeling of a casual observer, ignorant to the machine below pushing me on at high speed.

I loved the ride, the open road, the exploration - and the time alone with my thoughts.

A bit of roadwork left a soft dirt stretch that livened things up for a bit.

But then, back to the open road.

We rode around mountains, over passes, and through vast open farmland. Terrain which varied greatly - but with a common theme.

Drier. Always getting drier.

I could feel it in the air and see it on the ground. Trees became shorter, then disappeared only to be found clumped in valleys and other sources of water.

The colors changed from green, to brown, to gray.

Then, to red. I couldn't help but think of a Road Runner cartoon.

Quite a contrast, becoming more clear as we left it all behind.

The land was a large mass of grey scrub and sage brush, interrupted by the iridescent green of irrigated fields.

Pick up the pace, make some miles. We've got a long way to go and nothing in sight.

Head down, twist the wrist.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #160
rgp332
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Good RR, I'v been subscribed to it for awhile. I did a trip to Yellowstone last summer,sure has gotten commercialized in the last few years !!
A question what brand? Model are those mirrors on your 800 ? They look pretty durable,do they fold into the handguards ?
Thanks, Ride On !!
I must have sumthin about 08's
rgp332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #161
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgp332 View Post
Good RR, I'v been subscribed to it for awhile. I did a trip to Yellowstone last summer,sure has gotten commercialized in the last few years !!
A question what brand? Model are those mirrors on your 800 ? They look pretty durable,do they fold into the handguards ?
Thanks, Ride On !!
Thanks!! They are highwaydirtbikes from Colorado. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat, my blinkers are from them too.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:17 AM   #162
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

As the miles passed the landscape became incredibly flat and brown, the grass by the roadside the only hint of green.

The plains were arid and windy, an open expanse to our left and a view of the Rockies on the right. The only sign of human influence was the road and the miles of cattle fence that followed it.

More and more clouds began to crop up the further South and East we traveled. Occasionally we'd spot a small storm moving fast across the plains.

Every 50 or so miles we'd find ourselves in a small town and stop to get gas, not knowing how far the next town would be. We were all cognizant of the limited range on the DR and filled up our reserve bottles.

We didn't linger too long at any stop and hit the road just as quickly as we entered town.

I welcomed the sight of hills after the sheer boredom of the plains.

Occasionally I'd look in my mirror and not see anyone, or only find Bernie. After coming over one hill we waited a few minutes for Shawn, it seemed he was having trouble with the DR. Too far, too fast.

I realized I hadn't even thought of it cruising along at 80, but the air cooled single wasn't built for this kind of riding. Every few minutes it would sputter and die, Shawn patiently trying to get it running again. At one point the DR simply ran out of gas. Shawn added his reserve and 12 miles later, out again. Bernie dumped in his spare gallon and now we only had my 40 oz between the three of us.

We pushed on not knowing when we'd be able to find gas again. We crested a hill and looked down at an intersection below. GAS! The wind was really whipping up as we pulled in, happy to have found fuel and for a place to walk around for a bit.

A quick stop and we were off again with many more miles to cover before nightfall. We'd try to make Steamboat Springs before dark. I pulled out of the gas station, crested a hill and found a view I didn't enjoy...

Old 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #163
neo1piv014
ADV in training

The poor DR isn't really built for those long highway trips, especially with that stock tank. Still, the extra company is what makes it an adventure.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #164
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
The poor DR isn't really built for those long highway trips, especially with that stock tank. Still, the extra company is what makes it an adventure.
No they aren't, and I'd find myself drifting faster by mistake then have to wait up.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #165
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicxcrider View Post
No they aren't, and I'd find myself drifting faster by mistake then have to wait up.
The F800 engine is deceptively quick. I don't get how any reviewer could label it as being down on power. For being a larger bike that does so well on the highway, the F800 seems to handle itself in the dirt fairly well. Makes a tough case for the 1200 in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2