User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 464
Who Wants to Go To Bella Coola?

Ok folks, I do this with some hesitancy, as I am not a big planner of adventure trips for any others than myself or immediate family or close friends. I usually find it easier to make adjustments to the schedule that way.

However, consider this an invitation and a short notice....

I am planning a motorcycle trip over Labor day. I plan to go to ride to Bella Coola and back again from Seattle.

I am looking for 1 or 2 folks to join me (for safety reasons... more is OK.. I'm not interested in a large group, however I am not opposed to it).

If interested, read on and kick me an email/PM and I can give more details.

I am planning on a 6 day trip. Ideally Aug 30-September 4th. However, I can slide the dates to the right or left one day. I prefer not to travel on pavement during the peak of holiday traffic when crossing the border, thus my reason to "straddle the holiday weekend" and still maximize my days off. I will be riding my BMW 1200 GSA. The route I'm finalizing the plans for will be pretty tame (all gravel roads... and not much, if any river/pond crossings) and any Dual sport bike will probably be better on the gravel than my big girl. So don't be shy.

TENTATIVE ROUTE PLAN
Leave my house 6:00 am, crosss the Wa border at Sumas and then I will ride up to Harrison Mills B.C. and take back roads (gravel up to Pemberton) The gravel over to D’Arcy, Seton Portage (north side of Anderson Lake), then over to Big Bar Road… take the ferry across the Frasier and then over to Jesmond, Gang Ranch and then toward Chilko lake and then out to Hwy 20. From there I plan to ride through Tweedsmuir and down the Freedom Hill to Bella Coola.

On the way home, the plan is to ride back up Freedom Hill, over to Riske Creek, cut through (back on gravel) Farewell Canyon to Gang Ranch past Churn Creek protected area, back through Jesmond to Kelly Lake. When I arrive at Clinton, I will take the pavement home.

This will be a back country adventure motorcycle trip with camping most nights. However, I will motel/hotel in Bella Coola and maybe in Williams Lake (on the way back). If weather becomes and issue or if there is consensus of needing a soft bed, shower, etc... a detour and motel will become a strong possibility.

DISCLAIMER
I don't make solid plans as am I not usually destination driven. I find more fun in the journey. If for some reason, the weather, the roads, the mood strikes, the plan can change with the consnesus of all who want to join in. I will not be responsible for you, nor will you be for me... we are all grown ups. The planned route may change due to road closures, conditions and I make no claim about the conditions and will not be held liable. We will inquire about the road along the way. No booze until the days ride is over. Bring your own tent, sleeping bag, food. We can share stove, tools, first aid, sat phone, etc... any group gear. You will need a passport to enter Canada and return to the states.

REFERENCE
I did parts of this as a solo trip last year and it was awesome. I want to see more. In fact, if you read my blog, you'll discover that I was born and raised in the worng part of the world. My heart, my spirit all live in the North. Although I'm of German heritage, many folks think I am Canadian.
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.co...lla-coola.html

Similar ride is described on ADVRider.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640446

In fact here it appears that the same folks planned for a larger group a day or so after my trip in/near the same area.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747592

I look forward to hearing from any of you interested folks.

Thanks
pics from my trip last year...

RR: Bella Coola 2013 / Bella Coola Canada 2012
RR: Our Life Behind Bars

GrizzLee screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 08:52 AM Reason: Font Color.. arrrggghh! add picture
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Thought I'd bump this up....

So far, only a couple of inquires but no commitments.

Still looking for a riding partner to go with me.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
Someday...

Been wanting to take that trip for over 40 years but never seem to have time for it. Maybe next year... I hope.

Have fun!
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
GrizzLee OP
RubiKon Adventures

Ride Repor Follow-Up

For all those who didn't come but were interested. I posted my ride report here. One word FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826036

Regards,