Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #16
Hiho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I had my first leaner on a Yamaha XJR1300, with 30mm of toe in and a steering damper it was ok to ride. The damper relieved the head shake it had. I was running a 70mm difference between the rear and front mounts.
We used the bike for touring and also at the track for training purposes and i had so much fun with it.
I am now building one for my Yamaha Roadliner, with the chassis almost complete. On a test ride last week we dialed almost all the toe in out of it and at 100kph i could let go of the handle bars with no fear at all. There is no pull on either acceleration or braking. The mai difference is we changed the height from rear to front mount to 120mm.
We used a yamaha shock mounted verticall on the first leaner and ended up with it mounted at about 45 degrees. This made it too soft and so had to get stiffer springs manufactured.
With the new leaner i have mounted a progressive 465 adjustable mono shock parralell with the chassis and it is working as desired.
Good luck with dialing your leaner in, and when complete i hope you have as much enjoyment as i have with mine. 10,000ks in eight months.
Hiho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #17
BuiltnotBought OP
Perpetual Project

Oddometer: 42
30mm toe in... I will have to compare that with mine. I have yet to try adjusting toe in on mine, I wanted to get the suspension behaving itself first.

My front mount is up about 3.5" from the rear mount if I recal, which is about 90mm. I'm hoping that will work ok.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Hellracer.nl
What the hack???

Oddometer: 281
I've got no toe in and the front attachment point is aprox. 50mm higher than the one at the back. No strange pull and runs in a straight line up to 160km/h (100Mls/h), after that slight pull to the right.

My Leaner build: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836987
Hellracer.nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
RAGBrian
jonesing for a ride

Oddometer: 935
BnB, do you have any pictures of your project? I fancy the leaning side car design and it's nice to see others projects for ideas and to help visualize your descriptions.

Hellracer, that's a nice one you have as well. I like the crash test dummy in the box!