User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #46
offtheback
Chocolate Starfish

Oddometer: 336
Just Returned

Friend and I returned from Baja on 24.Oct.12, after some great weather and a small hurricane. Felt completely safe the whole time. The road to San Javier has been destroyed in several areas so plan on some construction and reroutes. We waited out Paul at Bahia del L.A, and then headed south. If you head to BdeLA I recommend Mission Borjas, the road from BdeLA has some sand and rock but the mission is nice and the decaying adobe one from ~1600's is interesting. We took the road from there to the highway because it was after the rains and it helped with the deep sand on that road.

Also, on the way down the East coast we stopped in Portecitas (sp?) and Rancho Grande (best shrimp meal of the trip) for gas but on the way back Rancho Grande was closed and the pemex in Portecitas was closed for not paying for supply. The 'get gas when you can' is true. I rolled into San Felipe with ~1gal in my tank, not counting the 2 gallon emergency tank.

The hurricane definitely destroyed some roads, mostly S of Loreto, and really made for some fun water crossings on the way back up the West side. We did not make it all the way to Cabo and headed back up at Insurgentes. Let me know if you need any other info. We were on 950 Adventures btw. Not sure if I want to post another 'We went to Baja' trip report.
2005 KTM 950 Adventure'96 Tiger (Sold) '06 KTM XC well farkeled(sold) '03 Yamaha WR250F (sold)
offtheback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #47
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by rides2little View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836653

See the ride report for current (almost 1 month old now) photos and some info that might be helpful. There wasn't a part of the El Compadre road that would be an issue on bigger bikes at all.

Also, I found another place for the Baja Almanac. http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com/
Thanks amigo!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #48
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtheback View Post
Friend and I returned from Baja on 24.Oct.12, after some great weather and a small hurricane. Felt completely safe the whole time. The road to San Javier has been destroyed in several areas so plan on some construction and reroutes. We waited out Paul at Bahia del L.A, and then headed south. If you head to BdeLA I recommend Mission Borjas, the road from BdeLA has some sand and rock but the mission is nice and the decaying adobe one from ~1600's is interesting. We took the road from there to the highway because it was after the rains and it helped with the deep sand on that road.

Also, on the way down the East coast we stopped in Portecitas (sp?) and Rancho Grande (best shrimp meal of the trip) for gas but on the way back Rancho Grande was closed and the pemex in Portecitas was closed for not paying for supply. The 'get gas when you can' is true. I rolled into San Felipe with ~1gal in my tank, not counting the 2 gallon emergency tank.

The hurricane definitely destroyed some roads, mostly S of Loreto, and really made for some fun water crossings on the way back up the West side. We did not make it all the way to Cabo and headed back up at Insurgentes. Let me know if you need any other info. We were on 950 Adventures btw. Not sure if I want to post another 'We went to Baja' trip report.
Did you not go to Cabo by choice or as a result of roads? I'm sure the road situation is pretty fluid based on damage that has (and will) occur.

We don't really need to go to Cabo and don't even plan on staying there...it's just the concept of making it all the way south that appeals...

I'll be packin' 7+ gallons o' gas but we've already determined (as you noted) get gas whenever it's available. I'll give a shout as I gather more info.

Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #49
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,149
If you do stop to see Coco get him a box of drywall screws. He uses them to fix up his place. You can get them at the little hardware store in San Felipe on the right as you come into town.

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #50
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva View Post
If you do stop to see Coco get him a box of drywall screws. He uses them to fix up his place. You can get them at the little hardware store in San Felipe on the right as you come into town.

-John

Will do!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #51
offtheback
Chocolate Starfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Did you not go to Cabo by choice or as a result of roads? I'm sure the road situation is pretty fluid based on damage that has (and will) occur.

We don't really need to go to Cabo and don't even plan on staying there...it's just the concept of making it all the way south that appeals...

I'll be packin' 7+ gallons o' gas but we've already determined (as you noted) get gas whenever it's available. I'll give a shout as I gather more info.

Thanks!!
It was time. We planned on 4 days to come up the W side and it only took us 2. Hit some towns and there was NOTHING so we pushed on. And much more was paved than we thought..
2005 KTM 950 Adventure'96 Tiger (Sold) '06 KTM XC well farkeled(sold) '03 Yamaha WR250F (sold)
Old 10-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #52
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,759
The Pemex in Puertocitos is closed for a 2 hour ciesta every day. The gas in Gonzaga Bay is closed on Wednesdays. Once you pass Coco's and make it out to Mex 1 there is a pick up truck with barrel gas at the abandoned Pemex by the turn off to Bay of LA, and a Llantera (tire repair) a couple miles south of there, and a Pemex in 20-30 miles. I made it from Guerrero Negro back to San Felipe on 3.5 gallons of gas, plus a borrowed 1 litre bottle. It was Wednesday and I neglected to fill up at the barrel gas, and didn't know about the Wednesday and ciesta closures.

When you get to Coco's ask about the guy who proposed in his book of signatures.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #53
offtheback
Chocolate Starfish

Puerticetos is also closed on Tuesdays. We were aware of the expected closures but for some reason Gonzaga bay was closed when we left on MONDAY morning after 10. While eating at Cinque Isles the owner told us no gas at Puerticetos because they did not pay the supplier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #54
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
The Pemex in Puertocitos is closed for a 2 hour ciesta every day. The gas in Gonzaga Bay is closed on Wednesdays. Once you pass Coco's and make it out to Mex 1 there is a pick up truck with barrel gas at the abandoned Pemex by the turn off to Bay of LA, and a Llantera (tire repair) a couple miles south of there, and a Pemex in 20-30 miles. I made it from Guerrero Negro back to San Felipe on 3.5 gallons of gas, plus a borrowed 1 litre bottle. It was Wednesday and I neglected to fill up at the barrel gas, and didn't know about the Wednesday and ciesta closures.

When you get to Coco's ask about the guy who proposed in his book of signatures.
Quote:
Puerticetos is also closed on Tuesdays. We were aware of the expected closures but for some reason Gonzaga bay was closed when we left on MONDAY morning after 10. While eating at Cinque Isles the owner told us no gas at Puerticetos because they did not pay the supplier.

GREAT stuff, guys!!

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #55
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Quote:

That thing about being closed for not paying seems strange to me because as I understand it the Pemexs are owned by the government? Not sure though.

I can tell you if you get to a closed station and really NEED gas, what I have been told is to ask around, the man with the keys is usually close by and someone can round him up. I've also learned not to stress too much about the gas in general. My bike only has a MAX 200 mile range in ideal conditions. I did roll into San Felipe on fumes last time, the bike actually died 3 times and restarted, and then when we rolled into the first Pemex at the edge of town they were closed! Managed to make it to the one on the roundabout. Then the Canadian guys we have met on previous trips rolled in (Baja is wierd like that). One of them had given me his last litre of fuel in Puertocitos, only to run out himself just south of San Felipe! Anyhow, my point is this, be prepared with adequate fuel, try not to get down below a 50 mile range, but don't stress out and go crazy, even if you do run dry it will work out. Seems like everybody down there has a siphon tube.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #56
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Quote:
Anyhow, my point is this, be prepared with adequate fuel, try not to get down below a 50 mile range, but don't stress out and go crazy, even if you do run dry it will work out. Seems like everybody down there has a siphon tube.
Especially me....
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM   #57
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Oh, and if you are on the town square in San Ignacio after visiting the old mission (worth the side trip) and need to use the restroom, look for the sign on a store front on the west side that says "bano 5 pesos". Just beware of the paraplegic Chihuahua in a wheelchair.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #58
DaFoole OP
Lewddite at large...

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #59
muddyrabbit
Lost Boy

Dude, don't laugh, he VICIOUS!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #60
offtheback
Chocolate Starfish

Quote:
Oh, and if you are on the town square in San Ignacio after visiting the old mission (worth the side trip) and need to use the restroom, look for the sign on a store front on the west side that says "bano 5 pesos". Just beware of the paraplegic Chihuahua in a wheelchair.
Live music on Saturday night on the square with some lovely local sights there. Stayed at motel within walking distance for 300 pesos/ night.