User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Forza, PX150 or Burgman 200?

Okay, I'm age 72, a long Distance Gold Wing rider, about 15,000 miles a year. However, the Wing is too big for short rides, so seeking a scooter for around my 80 acre property, mainly my 1/4 mile driveway, errands of about 20 miles, etc.

I've now narrowed my search to Forza, PX150 & Burgman 200. I've not ridden of those yet. I did ride the Zuma 125, and it just didn't seem right. Maybe because it stranded me on the test ride!!

Opinions, please.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 AM   #2
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
Okay, I'm age 72, a long Distance Gold Wing rider, about 15,000 miles a year. However, the Wing is too big for short rides, so seeking a scooter for around my 80 acre property, mainly my 1/4 mile driveway, errands of about 20 miles, etc.

I've now narrowed my search to Forza, PX150 & Burgman 200. I've not ridden of those yet. I did ride the Zuma 125, and it just didn't seem right. Maybe because it stranded me on the test ride!!

Opinions, please.
If you don't plan on riding any high speed roads, smaller scooters are more convenient and economical. If you will be riding on the interstate, get the Forza.

You also need to see how you fit on these scooters.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
MichRocks
Sunset Rider

Oddometer: 129
Quote:

Opinions, please.
Forza would be overkill for that. What about a PCX150? Light, great mileage, handling, reliable as heck. Plus FUN!

www.redrockcomputer.com
MichRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
What's the posted speed limit in the 20 mile radius you will be frequenting?
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #5
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 770
My take is: any of those three would be an interesting change of pace from the Wing. I've been surprisingly pleased with the PCX... "surprisingly" because I didn't expect something that size could be that much fun. If you intend to do much highway riding with it, the Forza would be my choice. I haven't seen a Burgman 200 in person, yet, but with the extra weight, I would expect the performance to be similar to the PCX, but a bit more top end.

Scooters are great for errand-running and around town, but they are a lot more than that - fun two-wheel entertainment. (from a guy who has owned 4 Goldwings in the past)

Best to see what scoot fits you. Expect any of those three to feel "tiny" after getting off a Wing... until you ride 'em for a bit.

Good luck with the search.

Jim
Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #6
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
My recommendation is the Burgman 200 followed very closely by the PCX150.

Th Burgman 200 is a little larger and has the most storage under the seat. It will also be the most comfortable and utilitarian with the best weather protection. Its still small enough to pull off a pretty respectable 77 to 80 MPG. Being 200cc's it should be able to tolerate anything you throw at it during your 20 mile circuit. Also the Burgman 200 comes standard with ABS witch is a nice feature to have. The PCX150 does not have ABS at all and its a costly and rare item on the Forza 300.

The PCX150 would probably work as well. Its smaller and a little less comfortable with less weather protection but still has generous storage under the seat. Almost best in class storage and more then most scooters but obviously not as generous as the larger Burgman 200. The Burgman under seat storage is very Grand Canyon like. The PCX150 is also hyper economic and averages 90 to 105 MPG pretty religiously. Its also $1,500 cheaper then the Burgman 200 but if you go for a left over 2013 you can probably work an even bigger discount (Dealer participation may very).

The Forza 300 would probably work as well. However its the most expensive and the least economic of the 3. Its under seat storage is not as useful as you would think....etc! The Forza is likely the best built scooter of the bunch but that is not saying a lot now days. They are all well built machines!
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
What's the posted speed limit in the 20 mile radius you will be frequenting?
The posted speeed limit is 55, but mostly gravel so the scooter will be ridden slower than that!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 07-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
My take is: any of those three would be an interesting change of pace from the Wing. I've been surprisingly pleased with the PCX... "surprisingly" because I didn't expect something that size could be that much fun. If you intend to do much highway riding with it, the Forza would be my choice. I haven't seen a Burgman 200 in person, yet, but with the extra weight, I would expect the performance to be similar to the PCX, but a bit more top end.

Scooters are great for errand-running and around town, but they are a lot more than that - fun two-wheel entertainment. (from a guy who has owned 4 Goldwings in the past)

Best to see what scoot fits you. Expect any of those three to feel "tiny" after getting off a Wing... until you ride 'em for a bit.

Good luck with the search.

Jim
I delveloped my love of two wheels, starting age 14, an Allstate Scooter. I just sold an Elite 80, which was a ton of fun, but had bad memories with the scooter, since I bought it for a former female friend years ago, then when we parted company, bought it back from her. That was a dumb move. Yes, scooters are a ton of fun, I miss the scooter, but not the memories.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 07-19-2014, 09:31 AM   #9
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichRocks View Post
Forza would be overkill for that. What about a PCX150? Light, great mileage, handling, reliable as heck. Plus FUN!
Thanks. I have to say, I'm leaning toward the PCX150!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 07-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #10
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
My recommendation is the Burgman 200 followed very closely by the PCX150.

Th Burgman 200 is a little larger and has the most storage under the seat. It will also be the most comfortable and utilitarian with the best weather protection. Its still small enough to pull off a pretty respectable 77 to 80 MPG. Being 200cc's it should be able to tolerate anything you throw at it during your 20 mile circuit. Also the Burgman 200 comes standard with ABS witch is a nice feature to have. The PCX150 does not have ABS at all and its a costly and rare item on the Forza 300.

The PCX150 would probably work as well. Its smaller and a little less comfortable with less weather protection but still has generous storage under the seat. Almost best in class storage and more then most scooters but obviously not as generous as the larger Burgman 200. The Burgman under seat storage is very Grand Canyon like. The PCX150 is also hyper economic and averages 90 to 105 MPG pretty religiously. Its also $1,500 cheaper then the Burgman 200 but if you go for a left over 2013 you can probably work an even bigger discount (Dealer participation may very).

The Forza 300 would probably work as well. However its the most expensive and the least economic of the 3. Its under seat storage is not as useful as you would think....etc! The Forza is likely the best built scooter of the bunch but that is not saying a lot now days. They are all well built machines!
All good points, thanks! Within a year or so, I'll be switching to a maxi scooter, hopefully, a Honda 2014/2015 updated Silverwing. But if they don't replace the Silverwing, then I'll probably go with the Burgman 650. That little 200 Burgman would be an interesting twin baby.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 AM   #11
Warney
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Haven't ridden any of the three but from reading online resources and owner impressions I would sure give the 2015 Honda PCX150 a close look. Honda has taken what was the 125/150cc class leader and improved it.
http://powersports.honda.com/2015/pcx.aspx
Warney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
longhaul747
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
All good points, thanks! Within a year or so, I'll be switching to a maxi scooter, hopefully, a Honda 2014/2015 updated Silverwing. But if they don't replace the Silverwing, then I'll probably go with the Burgman 650. That little 200 Burgman would be an interesting twin baby.
Since you just indicated that your max speed would be 55 MPH I recommend the Burgman 200 a little more now. The PCX150 will tolerate that speed no problem but the 200cc mill in the Burgman 200 would provide more reserve power.

If history proves itself once again you will likely enjoy the scooter so much you might just open up your pallet so it might be smart to aim a little bigger. So many have purchased scooters as secondary and economic motorcycle's and they ended up becoming the primary motorcycle really fast. Just can't beat the practicality, maneuverability and economy of a scooter.

I really hope we get some sort of updated Silverwing. Its an awesome scooter but the original one is showing its age and obviously discontinued. Unfortunately its not looking likely that Honda will come out with a comparable replacement. Fingers crossed that Honda pulls a trick out of its hat and surprise us but at the moment they want to steer us into one of the new automatic motorcycles available.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
JoshM
PCX150

Oddometer: 45
I love my PCX150 to death. However, if you plan to travel 50mph+ often, go with the Burg 200.

The PCX is great for my commute, but it's mostly 35-45mph roads. You'll get under 80mpg in a PCX if you're travels are strictly 45mph+ as well. Which is certainly not bad MPGs, it's just not as good as the advertised 100+.

I don't regret my decision regarding a PCX, but there's been many times I've had to drive my car placed that the PCX was unable due to road speeds. I should have just bit the bullet and spent an extra $1500 on a Forza... to be honest. But, you've got a lazy boy on wheels when you need to travel higher speeds.

JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Since you just indicated that your max speed would be 55 MPH I recommend the Burgman 200 a little more now. The PCX150 will tolerate that speed no problem but the 200cc mill in the Burgman 200 would provide more reserve power.

If history proves itself once again you will likely enjoy the scooter so much you might just open up your pallet so it might be smart to aim a little bigger. So many have purchased scooters as secondary and economic motorcycle's and they ended up becoming the primary motorcycle really fast. Just can't beat the practicality, maneuverability and economy of a scooter.

I really hope we get some sort of updated Silverwing. Its an awesome scooter but the original one is showing its age and obviously discontinued. Unfortunately its not looking likely that Honda will come out with a comparable replacement. Fingers crossed that Honda pulls a trick out of its hat and surprise us but at the moment they want to steer us into one of the new automatic motorcycles available.
Maybe I wasn't clear, but I'll rarely hit 55, since on the scooter, just backroads, probably average 35 to 40MPH.

Yes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Silverwing replacement, but it doesn't look good!! Maybe they'll replace it with the Integra, which is my hope!! Don't like the chain though!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 07-19-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
make sure the scooter fits

I can't make any educated suggestions without knowing what scoots the most comfortable for you. All three you named are fine rides. I'd throw in the SYM Citycom and HD200 if there's a dealer around.

Or the Kymco GT300I or ...............
You get the point it's got to fit first.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote