Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2014, 06:07 AM   #1
Puikoko OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
'86 Honda CH150D throttle/idle problems

Hi all,

I've just purchased a '86 CH150D with ~2400 miles on it and am trying to get it back into working order. I say back because the first fifty miles or so on it were fantastic and then a problem started developing. I'm fairly maintenance illiterate (which is part of the reason I picked up the scooter - as a learning exercise) but can follow directions easily and understand hand tools in general.

Anyway, a problem developed and I find that after going 100-200 yards, my engine dies when I let the throttle drop all the way, say when stopping at a stop sign. After this, I'm able to get it to start again if I wait a few minutes, but the engine tends to stop completely in the middle of riding a few hundred yards later. If I attempt to start it again, the engine will rev once every second or so, but it will never kick into running all the way.

A friend of mine thought the idle sounded really low, and I agree - whenever I let off of the throttle, the engine sounds like it's just barely holding on. It sounds like it dips below its normal idle for a second then comes back up a little bit. I tried to capture the sound in this video: http://youtu.be/aAcoVRoa5dA.

Any ideas on what I should troubleshoot? In browsing a number of forums I've seen people talking about the the rubber boot on the carburetor. I have one set and ready to order but figured I'd wait until I heard if there were other parts I should be getting at the same time. The same friend who suggested the idle was low said I should spray an areosol around the rubber boot and listen for an increase in revs. I tried this, but didn't hear any difference.

Again, I don't really know my way around this machine or cars/motorcycles/scooters in general but I'm set and ready to follow directions and have a mechanical mind in general. If there's any other information I can get to make troubleshooting easier, let me know and I'll track it down (sounds, pictures, etc.).

Thanks for the help and for having this community open to learners like myself.
Puikoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,388
I would start with Searching this part of the forum. You find there been loads of posting about the 150. The service manual in PDF.http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Man...ice_Manual.pdf

Forgive me enligh trolls brain injury so it always sucks

Join up with the yahoo group for you scooter( need a yahoo email address) https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/hondaelite150/info

Read even if it for ch250 some of it still the same . http://www.ch250.net/techtips/24.htm
Read this one 2 http://www.ch250.net/techtips/23.htm

So you ve bought an wonderful elite 150 that you want to use at the gun range for a target . A bike will not work right if these 3 things are out of wack Fuel , Air , Spark .
1) Fuel , carb needing cleaning. The Carb Bystarter going on it. ( Auto choke ) , Fuel tank full of gunk, Fuel lines that are old screwed up. Fuel filter full of shit.
2) Air cleaner pluged up . Full of shit like one guy just had happen with one he picked up. A mouse had filled it with stuff
3) Something interfering with the Spark . CDI , Spark plug , spark plug coil. These do go but Not as often as the first 2 .

So with that said if it was me I would do this
Lift onto a milk crate if you dont have a jack.
1) Do a full service of your scooter before shooting and throwing it of a cliff. That means
a) Take the rear panels off . Make it easy to see what is what there no shit hiding anywhere.
b) Take the Carb off . Check the Rubber Manafold that it was atched to ( I think it has one ) to see if it's not cracked. On nice flat table which you can t lose parts on . clean the outside of the carb with a can of carb clean. That way shit cant get into the carb. Now using the Manual start to take the carb apart. Here a video that show how to do that . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le_8ss6poGE Start with bottom . Clean the bolaw out . Then take the float asmbly off being carefull the of the Float needle attach to it. Take the jets out . Clean them. Spray cleaner into all 3 holes they came out of . Clean the Jet out . Blow them out with air or use your month . . Put it back together . Attached to your bike
b) Lub the carbles since the carbs off. Save you cables and a load of cursing if one brake. If that happen to you when on the road . You can take a vice grip etc . Thread the remainer up from the carb out the top of the middle panel. Rap it round the vice grips etc. Drive home one handed since your be pulling on the cable .
c) Since you ve come this far. Now take the spark plug out and ether clean and grap it with the right size gage or put a new one in.
d) Check the air lines , The fuel lines , The fuel filter. Shine a light down the gas tank and see if it fuel of shit . If any line looks craked replace with the same type of bulk fuel or air line from an auto parts place.
e) Check the air cleaner .

f) Try to start you bike and see if that worked and fixed issues. If you dont understand how to do anything google for it. Those loads of Videos on youtube that tell you how to do stuff.
Hope this helps .
Did I miss anything my fellow inmates ? ?

PS if none that helps I think the bystarter or CDI is going. Bystarter off fleabay is 15 bucks . That would the the first thing to replace . If it works without those being replace would also check you brakes , ajest them and the age of your tires . Google that if you dont know how to read the code on the tire. anything over 3 years should be replaced.

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 07-12-2014 at 10:08 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,388
One more thing since your already doing a real service I hope. Change out your Rad coolant. 1 quart of Non premix should do it and then water. Or Buy a 1 Gallon Jug of premix. Whom knows if whats in there is 1 year old or 30 year old ? Better to be safe then sorry .
dave
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #4
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
In addition to all of the above, make sure that the valve lash has been adjusted within spec. Valve andjustment is perhaps the single most ignored maintainance item on motorcycles and scooters. Stalling and having trouble restarting, when the engine is hot, are the classic symptoms of tight valves.

k-moe screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:06 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote