User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 800
Honda Silverwing (Replacement??)

I plan on switching from my present Gold Wing to a maxi scooter this Spring. I really want to stick with Honda for obvious reasons, large dealer network, reliability, etc, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any good information on a 2014 replacement for the Silverwing, Integra, etc?

I'm hearing of fantastic bargains on left over 2013 Silverwings, which I would consider. However, dealers here in Michigan are asking MSRP.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,022
I saw some closeout prices a few months ago.

I had a 2002 and it was a damn good machine.
Good luck in your search.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #3
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 652
if you're lookin for twist n go, consider the honda ctx700 with dct. similar weight, better in parking lots, more hp.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,896
I have both a 2014 CTX and. 2012 Silverwing for sale.

Fly to NC, try 'em both and take one home!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951467

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=939418

I love Honda too but having owned both Silverwing and Burgman 650s, IMO the Burgman had much more of a touring bike feel. If I were going to tour 15k plus mikes a year the Bman would be my choice. However, for a blend of city, highway and touring I find the Silverwing easier to use.

.02 cents
Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,537
I have had 2 Goldwings, an '85 and a '95. I researched and test rode 4 maxi scooters. The Silverwing, Majesty, Burgman 400 and Burgman 650. Right off the bat the Burg 650 failed. It was as hard (for me) to deal with in parking lots as the Goldwings. Of the other three, the Silverwing came out the clear winner for comfort, handling, ease of maneuvering in tight places, and reliability. I never wound up with one, because I have a 750cc cruiser motorcycle which is still easy enough to ride. But the Silverwing was my choice.

Dealers here quickly sold out of them when they lowered the price. But here is where I would make an exception to the way I usually buy bikes. If I were absolutely going to buy a new maxi scooter, and there were still new Silverwings available, I would probably be willing to pay MSRP for it. I consider it that much better than the rest. Based on it's own merits, not because it is a Honda. I would probably wind up with a slightly used one though. It is a scooter I would not hesitate to buy used if it were in good condition and had never been dropped.

Edit: I just found out there has been a new shipment of Silverwings delivered to Phoenix area dealers. The RideNow chain dealers want MSRP, the other dealers are $1000 under MSRP. I would shop around in your area.

JerryH screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 10:42 AM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Replacement scooter

Friday I stopped at the BMW dealer on my way home from work. I had seen on the BMW site that there was a good discount on 2013 600 Sport scooters, and now that my 2002 Silverwing has 80k on it, I sometimes think I might buy a new scoot.
Quite frankly, I sat on the Sport and weighed all the advantages and disadvantages of all the features and extra 10 HP and think I like my SW better. Why? No back rest (I am old enough to need one), short floor boards( limits changing positions on long trips), higher notch and seat (harder to get on and off), and some what noisier.
Also, you have to buy the heated grips and seat for about 500 bucks, neither of which are worth that much. I have had heated grips and heated gloves are a better investment, plus I have NEVER felt the need for a heated seat, even at 30 degrees. Seat foam is excellent insulation.
Then when he told me what they might give me for my Silverwing ($800, of course, it's high mileage!!) I realized my best investment was to ride My wing another couple of years. After all, it still runs great and should still be running strong beyond 100K. And, it's paid for!! I love my SW.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,022
Yeah, I liked my Uptoia backrest.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Right off the bat the Burg 650 failed. It was as hard (for me) to deal with in parking lots as the Goldwings. Of the other three, the Silverwing came out the clear winner for comfort, handling, ease of maneuvering in tight places, and reliability.
I test rode a Silver Wing shortly after test riding the 650 Burgman that I ended up with. I'll give you your claim of better handling in a parking lot - but I don't go into parking lots all that much. The Burgman has more leg room - and smoother and faster and much better wind protection with stock screens. The Burgman Exec's adjustable windshield is tops IMO.

I went from a 2001 Harley Electra Glide Ultra (FLHTCUI) that wasn't as heavy as the Gold Wing you mentioned - to the 650 Burgman Exec . Slow speed handling of the Burgman is MUCH better than the Harley. And FWIW I've rode a couple of Gold Wings - swapping with a couple of buddies so we could measure up each other's rides. The Gold Wing is a pig in slow speed maneuvering - as is the Harley. Very comparable in a parking lot IMO - and the 650 Burgman is a ballet dancer by comparison to the touring bikes.

FWIW I'd be interested in any scooter Honda comes out with to replace the Silver Wing. IMO to be competitive with the Burgman it should have an adjustable windshield - cruise control - radio - and an electronic trans like the Burgman would pique my interest greatly. I miss having cruise control and radio.
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

FWIW I'd be interested in any scooter Honda comes out with to replace the Silver Wing. IMO to be competitive with the Burgman it should have an adjustable windshield - cruise control - radio - and an electronic trans like the Burgman would pique my interest greatly. I miss having cruise control and radio.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with the above comment. I do believe that Honda will come out with something, an updated Silverwing, bring the Integra here to the states, etc. Better happen soon, since at almost age 72, no time to waste!

Yes, the adjustable windshield, cruise control, radio, better transmission, etc, would give the Burgman 650 a run for it's money. Presently, the Burgman 650 almost always wins in comparison reviews vs the Silverwing. The BMW is out of the question for me, since the dealer network is woefully lacking.

Being the original poster, I wholly appreciate all comments.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
There was a real nice Silverwing in the FleaMarket yesterday for a killer cheap price. Low miles, 2007, I think.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #11
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 147
The Silver Wing is a good choice. The new models (2011 on) come with ABS, a good thing imho. My dealer in North Phoenix has two SW's (used) and one new one. MSRP is $9270. But push a bit and you can do MUCH better, the SW is just not a big seller... The Burgman 650 does have features that the SW lacks BUT check the prices. You will pay for the differences.

I love my 2012 and I have a Goldwing... That should say something.

Good luck with your decision...
1974 CT90's (2)

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:21 PM   #12
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
The 2007 Silver Wing I tried out had about 7k on the odometer and the seller was asking $3500. I nearly bought it. I made an offer on the 2008 Burgman that was on consignment and the owner took it - $5,000 out the door - and almost 4k on the odometer. I'm very happy with the Burgman and don't miss the $1500 I would have saved. Like I said - I could easily have lived with the S-Wing as well. But having more leg room and the adjustable windshield was a real plus and worth the money IMO. At 66 not being cramped is a feature! Arthritis isn't fun!

If I were you I'd give a Burgman a try - you might be hooked!
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #13
gec343 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
The 2007 Silver Wing I tried out had about 7k on the odometer and the seller was asking $3500. I nearly bought it. I made an offer on the 2008 Burgman that was on consignment and the owner took it - $5,000 out the door - and almost 4k on the odometer. I'm very happy with the Burgman and don't miss the $1500 I would have saved. Like I said - I could easily have lived with the S-Wing as well. But having more leg room and the adjustable windshield was a real plus and worth the money IMO. At 66 not being cramped is a feature! Arthritis isn't fun!

If I were you I'd give a Burgman a try - you might be hooked!
Yes, I will be test riding the Burgman 650 when Spring arrives. I had an adjustable windshield on my ST1300, and once you have one, you're hooked!!!! Another must have is ABS brakes!!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
Old 02-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #14
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,879
I have owned 2 Burgman 650s in the past and think they are fantastic bikes.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #15
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I plan on switching from my present Gold Wing to a maxi scooter this Spring. I really want to stick with Honda for obvious reasons, large dealer network, reliability, etc, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any good information on a 2014 replacement for the Silverwing, Integra, etc?

I'm hearing of fantastic bargains on left over 2013 Silverwings, which I would consider. However, dealers here in Michigan are asking MSRP.
Integra was JUST updated to a 750cc engine and some other stuff so
I wouldn't expect any changes on it in the next 2 years. It's also more
like a regular, light weight motorcycle then any scooter or the bike that
you have now.

Silverwing.. considering what you have now.. I think you'd be happier with
a Burgman.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote