Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #151
noitallal
Banned

Oddometer: 7
I bought an 06 Swing with 800 miles on it. I thought it vibrated too much upon acceleration and I waS not thrilled with the gas consumption. I sold it after putting 400 miles on it. To be fair, I was used to my 250cc scooters getting 60 mpg . The Swing just seemed like a truck compared to my smaller scoots.

My Helix and Morphous were just fast enough to handle my short highway commute at 65mph. Actually the Yamaha Morphous was worlds better on the highway. The Helix lighter and peppier was better for everything else.
Not that I did not enjoy the Swing but you are more involved riding a bigger heavier bike which requires more concentration. The smaller bikes = less thinking less work/more fun.
noitallal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #152
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by noitallal View Post
I bought an 06 Swing with 800 miles on it. I thought it vibrated too much upon acceleration and I waS not thrilled with the gas consumption. I sold it after putting 400 miles on it. To be fair, I was used to my 250cc scooters getting 60 mpg . The Swing just seemed like a truck compared to my smaller scoots.
Both well known and documented issues resolved by using different roller
weights (5-10% lighter Dr Pulley sliders).

$40 fix.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #153
noitallal
Banned

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Both well known and documented issues resolved by using different roller
weights (5-10% lighter Dr Pulley sliders).

$40 fix.
Lighter weights would result in poorer mpg not better. Heavier weights may improve MPG but cause the clutch to engage at a lower RPM likely making the vibration worse.

You can experiment with countless weights and get different results.. I wasn't much interested in taking the time money and effort in correcting a problem from the factory. Sell and and buy something else.
noitallal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:30 AM   #154
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Lighter weights would result in poorer mpg not better.
Um, sorry, yeah, if regular weights were in question, then you would be
correct, but I specifically said Dr Pulley sliders, which lower the cruising revs
after a certain speed, even when they're lighter up to 15%, and the vibrations
would go away because of higher then stock revs when accelerating.

Quote:
Heavier weights may improve MPG but cause the clutch to engage at a lower RPM likely making the vibration worse.
Clutch engagement revs depend on these springs on the clutch itself:

Anyways, 90% of Majesty and SW owners here "fixed" their bikes with Dr Pulley sliders.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #155
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
They made a huge difference to my Silverwing. I went from 28g to 24g. Smoother, smaller flat spot and more initial pickup.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #156
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
They made a huge difference to my Silverwing. I went from 28g to 24g. Smoother, smaller flat spot and more initial pickup.
What were you thinking? You should have sold it!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #157
Domromer
Desert Rat

I did sell it!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #158
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
I did sell it!
Damnit.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #159
Domromer
Desert Rat

Quote:

My Helix and Morphous were just fast enough to handle my short highway commute at 65mph. Actually the Yamaha Morphous was worlds better on the highway. The Helix lighter and peppier was better for everything else.
Not that I did not enjoy the Swing but you are more involved riding a bigger heavier bike which requires more concentration. The smaller bikes = less thinking less work/more fun.
You sold it after 400 miles? Wow, I hope bought it used!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #160
paulb
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Yeah, I think I will pass on the BV 500 on account of leaks & stuff

But if I wanted one, I'd this new one here see cause it's only $4899 plus stuff. It being new, it's gotda warranty. No top box though. Oh well. I guess ya can't have everything. Now.... Sym Citycom or Kymco People GTi 300???? Oh da choices! ;)
paulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #161
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Alot of the Burgman 400 owners on the Burg forum replace rollers to a 19 gm slider wieghts for much improved acceleration and then dropped RPM on freeway which = better MPG.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #162
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
Alot of the Burgman 400 owners on the Burg forum replace rollers to a 19 gm slider wieghts for much improved acceleration and then dropped RPM on freeway which = better MPG.
IMO, all scooters should come with sliders as standard, and as far as I know,
there's just one that does (the gp800/srv850).

Old 02-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #163
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Piaggio has started incorporating Dr. Pulley sliders branded for Piaggio on some new models this past year. Good move I think.

Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #164
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooktown Geezer View Post
Piaggio has started incorporating Dr. Pulley sliders branded for Piaggio on some new models this past year. Good move I think.

+1

The great thing is, they work well in any CVT, just gotta figure out the weight.
On smaller engine scooters loss of top speed is sometimes an issue.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #165
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
So the temps here today are in the 70's...couldn't pass up the opportunity to ride, so I took the BV up towards LaPorte, in the Sierra foothills. I got all the way past Clipper Mills, but there was too much sand on the road from the snow plows, so I gave up and came back. It was a beautiful day and the BV ran very well indeed...70-75 mph on the freeway back and I goosed it a bit up to 85 (deserted road, short time) just to see how it would do. Did fine.

Here are some photos:

The BV next to an old school near Brownsville

The Woodleaf Hotel

Commemorative sign outside the Woodleaf Hotel saying that the hotel was built in 1858 and that US Grant and Black Bart stayed there

LaPorte Road in front of the hotel looking west towards Brownsville

The BV with all my gear stacked on it while I'm taking break

The BV in front of the Woodleaf Hotel

Came back home on 70 to Ferrari Ranch (yep, that's the name!) Road and down Sierra College back to the 'burbs. The BV ran effortlessly and did well...until I got home. I'll be darned-that stinkin' right rear turn signal is BROKEN AGAIN. It's been fine for the last two or three runs I've done on the bike and I haven't touched it or crunched it.

I'm now convinced that there must be a harmonic vibration at highway speeds which is just too much for the turn signal stalk. It always breaks in the same place and, now that I think back on it, it breaks after I've been on the freeway.

I love the bike, but this turn signal thing is driving me GAZANGA!!!
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote