Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #16
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,542
i've sent an email to Ludwig for a real on the spot repot, but like you i don't see an issue, simply different palms may need a little grease
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,548
Why bother Lulu with questions that are already been answered by just checking the website

sailing to SAN BLAS...next sailing to CARTAGENA10th SEP (10 days tour via sapzurro)

we left cartagena yesterday 10am with 21 souls on board plus 4 motorcycles.

Here's the link to the ship's logbook
Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #18
rtwpaul
out riding...

Oddometer: 1,542
it was already sent before i posted here

this is the response

"hi paul! absolutely no problems with customs in cartagena and no change of
plans..everything runs like it is planned;) cheers, ludwig"

so i guess the OP facts were not 100%
rtwpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,154
I really want to experience the Stahratte. That sounds like an adventure in itself.

jimmex screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 10:25 AM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
Stahlratte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gringo View Post
Hi Stahlratte,

I hear what your saying, and know your boat , ( its about the same size as the independence but in better condition) but the fact is that customs and the port authorities are trying to make and example out of what happened to Fritz the Cat by not allowing any more motorcycles to be shipped by any vessels which are not authorised to carry cargo, regardless of the size.

Im not saying that I agree, just relaying the message that they made very clear to me. They actually mentioned that your boat left with 4 motorcycles about 6 days before I left with the Independance, and said that this would be the last.

For your sake, and for the sake of other motorcyclist, I hope they get it sorted out soon.

cheers from Panama
We just unloaded 4 bikes on the 27th of August in San Blas/Panama coming from Cartagena/Colombia. We did NOT encounter any problems and don't expect any in the future

Stahlratte screwed with this post 09-04-2012 at 03:07 PM Reason: Wrote September instead of August...ooops.
Stahlratte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #21
Rui
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Recent sail (April 2013)

Guys, I have been following this thread with interest because this was an obstacle that I needed to overcome on my own trip (www.capetocairo2010.co.za) recently in order to cross the Darien.
My routing was south to north so I had to get on a boat from Cartagena to Panama and had heard stories like the one in this thread however, you will be pleased to note that as of a week ago I managed to put my bike on a catamaran called Jacqueline and the crazy old German (Manfred who works out of an internet café at the back of a supermarket) got the bike stamped out of Colombia by customs on the 25th of April 2013 and I have the paperwork to prove it. Like so many things in third world countries the reaction was overblown and things have once again settled down into "normality"!!
Rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
RandyReider
Kind of a Big Deal

Oddometer: 130
Anyone know where there's more info on the sinking of Fritz the Cat? It took my GSA and me to Cartagena a few years back and I was shocked to hear it sank!!!

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 AM   #23
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Manfred contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Gringo View Post
Agreed that it will most likely continue for a while longer, but just wanted to stress how difficult it is becoming. Like I said, we wasted three full days between customs and the port authorities before they finally decided to sign our customs exist form. We even had Manfred (the well known German who is a customs broker in Cartagena) accompany us to customs and they told him no. I can tell you, we only got in finally approved after a lot of begging , bullshit and persistence.
Do somebody have the contact information of Manfred (well know German customs broker in Cartagena) ?
DustDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #24
colombiana
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb Manfred?

Manfred is extremely rude German, the immigration officers don't like him;
1. He is not from Colombia
2. He is rude
That is why Manfred has problems, the best agent for motorbike is David 313 523 0742

I recommend Stahlratte , Fritz the Cat aka catamaran Jacqueline has many bad reviews:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop...tz-Panama.html

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTop....html#49672249

http://themostalive.com/category/destinations/colombia/

colombiana screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 12:57 PM
colombiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
Exit142
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Smooth sailing

I can confirm from personal experience that the Stalhratte is transporting motorcycles out of Panama AND Colombia. I sailed with Ludwig from Panama to Colombia in October 2012, then from Colombia to Jamaica > Cuba > Mexico in April/May 2013. Lulu runs a good ship, I highly recommend the Stalhratte.

The Independence and Jacqueline Catamaran (a.k.a. Fritz the Cat) are both mentioned on websites are currently offering motorcycle transportation services. I cannot provide a recommendation for these boats. The reviews are mixed, some like it, some have complaints. Your mileage may differ.

However you do, just do it. Crossing the Darien via a sail boat is a lot of fun. Chance are you will meet other riders and a several backpackers. Riding South America is an amazing experience. When its described as a trip of a life time, the label fits.

Check out www.petersride.com for photos and stories.

Peter B
Exit142 is offline   Reply With Quote