User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Eek Electrical Issue on 1997 R1100GS

Okay, so I am starting a new thread here...my clutch and transmission replacement project is finished...except that something went sideways in the reassembly, or coincidentally something has stopped working. I NEED HELP ONCE AGAIN and turn to that kind and generous friend, the wild world wed, and especially the kool kids at advrider!

HERE's THE SITCH:
1. Two days ago I finished reassembly after replacing the clutch and transmission. This was the first time I had done this project and I did struggle a bit. In fact I have only owned the R1100 for a year so am not totally familiar yet.
2. I definitely had trouble reinstalling the electrical (fuse) box , and also routing of wires around the starter. In both cases I forced things a bit and could have upset some wiring or plugs. I also lost one of the little tiny contact pins from the gear position indicator switch (on the back of the trans) so it wasn't indicating right (as expected), but did not seem to be problematic.
3. I also lubed the starter when I had it out, with never-seize and a bit of light oil.
3. The bike ran beautifully yesterday and this morning. I rode for about 15 km and got it well warmed up. Today were going to go for a longer ride and when stopped at my friend's house...ready to RIDE...it wouldn't start.
4. I turned the key and got a faint click from the starter, then all the instrument panel lights went out.
5. Everything was dead - looking like there was no power at all. But after 10 minutes I tried again. The headlight was bright, all instrumentation was working (apparently correctly) but again turning the switch to "start" generated a faint click in the starter and everything went dark again.
6. I pulled the starter. No sign of jamming of wires being burnt or broken.
7. I check the battery voltage 12.3V
8. I pulled and checked all the fuses in the fuse box - all seem good.
9. No the kill switch is not on.
10. The bike has 70k miles on it.

So, I am hoping to do a roadside (at my buddy's house) repair tomorrow, or have it towed home, or ((gasp)) to the dealer for them to diagnose it with all their electrical vibrating devices...

I haven't been able to find much to go on, but here's what I am thinking:
- broke a wire, or reinstalled it against something hot or rough so it melted or chafed through - ACTION: take off tank, and possibly the fuse box, inspect for broken or melted wires and loose connectors, and or test all wires everywhere on entire bike
- starter died and is drawing so much power it temporarily kills the battery? ACTION: try jump starting, have starter checked professionally
- battery got tired from sitting. ACTION: have it load tested at the shop
- something flaky with the ignition switch? ACTION: have the dealer test it?
- kickstand switch or wiring faulty? ACTION: bypass and test.
WHAT ELSE? Your ideas and advice are most welcome!
GmanVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thank you to the inmate who PM'ed me suggesting I check the ground wire from the battery to the transmission. Makes sense; I will look tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #3
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 16,451
I hope you find the issue, but keep in mind 12.3 volts at the battery is showing the battery to be about 55% charged.

12.7 would be 100%

the lower the voltage, the more likely weak or dirty connections are to cause the starter to not function.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Sir,
I once had a similar issue. Due to corrosion on the back of the starter motor, the wire didn't make good contact after I had it loose.
Does the starter turn properly when trying it outside of the bike?
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
GmanVic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All good and running great

Thanks for the help! (In particular the kind person who PM'ed me and led to the easy fix!)

The battery ground was not tightened (on the battery) ...

Occam, of razor fame, and I know the simple solution is always the best, but I guess since I had just basically had everything apart, I was a bit daunted by the sheer number of possibilities and lost sight of things like "try jiggling the wires that go to the battery"... LOL

Thanks again, all!

Old 10-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Bender
I can pass this guy.

Oddometer: 34,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanVic View Post
Thanks for the help! (In particular the kind person who PM'ed me and led to the easy fix!)

The battery ground was not tightened (on the battery) ...

Occam, of razor fame, and I know the simple solution is always the best, but I guess since I had just basically had everything apart, I was a bit daunted by the sheer number of possibilities and lost sight of things like "try jiggling the wires that go to the battery"... LOL

Thanks again, all!

Funny how that crap bites ya right in the back-side, ain't it?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
joe a
awryder

Oddometer: 594
Glad to hear all is well Vic.....